• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ruta del Ebro June 2014

Ramblanista

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances & Finisterre (2012); Ruta del Ebro (Tortosa to Sastago) (2014); Camino del Norte (Santander - Serdio) (2014); Camino Liebana & Camino Vadiniense (2014); Camino San Salvador (2015); Camino Olvidado (Sodupe - Reinosa) (2015); Camino del Norte (Irun - Deba & Serdio - Llanes) (2015)
Well, I finally made it to Tortosa late Saturday afternoon, having somehow managed to jump on a train from Paris Gare du Lyon to Perpignan when most inter-city trains - including my booked intercities de nuit service to Latour du Carol - had been cancelled.

Day one was a rather mad dash up the disused railway line (Via Verda/Via Verde) to Benafillet. It was only when I arrived at the old Benafillet station that I realised that Benafillet itself, where I'd booked a room in the Hotel Pepo (recommended though it's an enormous detour) was 5km off trail. I arrived just before it got dark, a long trek along a main road to the bridge that crosses the Ebro and from which leads a road to the town. You have to go past Benafillet to the bridge then double back on yourself. Very, very frustrating. The pension at old Benafillet station was closed.

Day two started with a 5km trek back to the old station (refreshments) then continued on the old railway line to the santuario of Fontcalda. From there the ascent out of the valley had spectacular views but was a killer. Good, cheap hotel in Gandesa - Hotel Pique.

Day three was going to be a 'gentle' 14 km stroll from Gandesa to Batea but I came across signposting 'issues'. More on these later: it could be that they might have been exacerbated by my straying from the path, suffice to say that the 'official' sign - and there are plenty of these - in Gandesa indicated that Batea was only 13 km away. After walking about 5km out of town I came across an 'official' sign showing Batea was now 18 km away! Seems there's an optional route over asphalt roads via Vilaba dels Arcs which takes you off in an enormous arc. I followed my gut instinctfor 2 km, doubted it and retraced my steps, managed to call up a rough map on my IPhone and decided gut instinct was right and re-traced my steps! A farmer confirmed I was on the correct path and I finally made to Batea. Good hotel - Hostal de l'Anton - 35 Euro for pleasant room with ensuite, not mad on local bars though.

Tomorrow Fabara. 17km, have booked room in advance - 20 Euro with breakfast.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I should have added that I somehow contrived to lose my guidebook in Tortosa station. Before I'd even started!!

I should have added that I somehow contrived to lose my guidebook in Tortosa station. Before I'd even started!!
Greetings from Suffolk, UK!
I am so sorry this thread seems to have died after your day number 3.
I hope you're OK .... I am planning the Ebro camino maybe next year: how was the rest of the camino?
Buen camino, amigo!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
upload_2015-6-18_8-20-9.jpeg
Don't you just love those storks?

I'm back from completing the Ruta del Ebro in May 2015.
My diary is written - but it's 3 MB and there's a separate photo album - 11 MB.
A beautiful but very remote camino - I met ONE other pilgrim walking in my direction, in the three weeks.
I stayed in four albergues - and was the only peregrino in three of them.
Buen camino del Ebro!

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.