• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Camino de Madrid alone as a female

katfromcanada

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances or Madrid July 2015
Hi,
I'm looking for advice from those that have walked the camino de Madrid alone. I'm thinking of walking it in July, or at least the last half to join up with the camino frances but some Spanish friends have told me I should rethink walking it alone as it is quite desolate, not well marked, it's very hot in July to walk that area etc. Can anyone give some advice speaking from experience? Is it true I likely won't see anyone else walking the whole time even in July when most people walk the camino frances? Are there any females on here that have walked it alone, and did you feel in danger or scared at any point? I know all of these things totally depend on each person and when they walked it, but I'm interested to hear some insight from those who have done it. thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Kat

I cannot comment on walking in July as I have not done it then. I do know it was blazing hot this year from May 6th to May 12th! Every year is different. And I cannot comment re your concerns as a single female walking alone. But 2 things I will say - the route is VERY well marked, and we were followed from Madrid by, and we eventually joined up with, Maria from Holland - 76 years old - and who is coming back in September to walk the Primitivo. She had no qualms about walking alone. Be warned that the crossing on Day 4 from Cercidilla to Segovia is brutal - there is no other word for it - and Maria cried as she climbed the hill on the old roman road. But she made it!

I hope this has been of some small use. When I get back to Australia next week Sean from Ireland and myself will put together a blog describing out trip.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is a very well marked route from start to finish - almost impossible to get lost. Use a GPS for reassurance, and read the threads of people who walked it.

May this year was hot enough and many days were scorching. I can't imagine what July would be like, but start early ie 6.00am each day, take lots of liquid and take breaks and you should be fine.

I walked it in May. I saw maybe three or four other walkers in two weeks, and some cyclists. Most days, you are completely and totally alone and yes, you will walk in some very isolated areas for many hours. It can be disconcerting, even for a man, but only you can decide if you want to do this. Being alone is one reason why people walk this route, but that brings risks. Many have done this route without a problem. If you are concerned about the risk, find a partner to walk with or do the Camino de Frances.

I can mostly ditto previous posters. Walked it last June but not as female though :)
I'm on Levante right now and can tell you markings on Madrid are better and infrastructure also. Desolation is the same but we choose it...
Look for female experiences in CcM section, in 2013 @peregrina2000 walked it and last year @Phillypilgrim. This year @MayaAmanecer finished it also. It's all here, you just have to browse a little bit.

Ultreia!

Hi Kat. I walked it alone for 15 days this past September. It was a VERY solitary walk. I met three pilgrims total. I don't know if you have walked the CF or not, but this is a walk in "Spanish culture" not in "Pilgrim culture". It was very hot in September, and I learned after day one to take twice as much water than on the CF.
The waymarking occurs less often than the CF (imho), so I often had moments of second guessing myself, which was stressful for me. But I did not feel it was unsafe, just very different from the CF. The experience is something I think of often and was most profound for me. I am grateful to share it with others who have walked it on this forum. I think the preparation is important. Print out the CSJ guide and take copious notes while reading everyone's posts on the forum.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
it's very hot in July to walk that area

The worse you can find are maximum temperatures in the 35-39ºC range. But those are maximum temperatures, if you stop walking around noon, you are unlikely to have to walk with that hot. Some years, the first fortnight of July isn't really hot (maximum temperatures under 30ºC) and may have a few rainy/stormy days... but that's just some years and last year was one of them so it isn't too likely this year will be the same although, of course, you never know.

Hi,
I'm looking for advice from those that have walked the camino de Madrid alone. I'm thinking of walking it in July, or at least the last half to join up with the camino frances but some Spanish friends have told me I should rethink walking it alone as it is quite desolate, not well marked, it's very hot in July to walk that area etc. Can anyone give some advice speaking from experience? Is it true I likely won't see anyone else walking the whole time even in July when most people walk the camino frances? Are there any females on here that have walked it alone, and did you feel in danger or scared at any point? I know all of these things totally depend on each person and when they walked it, but I'm interested to hear some insight from those who have done it. thanks!
Hi!

I will be walking the camino alone in July as well. I have no experience but I'm sure we can meet plenty of nice people along the way.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Kat, the other important thing about the CdeM I forgot to mention is, every single "nonpilgrim" person I met along the walk was incredibly helpful and friendly, and I speak no Spanish! Good luck deciding on this amazing experience. Feel free to PM me if you want.
Pam

Thanks so much for your replies! I've been living in Spain the last two years so my Spanish is pretty good (but apparently my English has gotten much worse, as I just reread the title of my post and realized how strange it sounds haha). I'm quite independe and don't mind walking alone, but I have been reading a bit about the events near Astorga and I guess I need to think about whether I will feel comfortable on the desolate parts of this route. Thanks for all your input, and Anniesatiago if you could tell methe two parts which you felt were not well marked that would be great. and Nancy, will you be walking the Camino de Madrid or the Camino Frances in July? If it's the Camino Madrid please let me me know your dates as it would be great if we were looking out for each other along the way!

One way to look at the "safety" along this route is, if a bad guy was lurking around the trail waiting for a solo female, they may be waiting for days on end!!!
So in this weird way, it may be very safe! Just a thought.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks so much for your replies! I've been living in Spain the last two years so my Spanish is pretty good (but apparently my English has gotten much worse, as I just reread the title of my post and realized how strange it sounds haha). I'm quite independe and don't mind walking alone, but I have been reading a bit about the events near Astorga and I guess I need to think about whether I will feel comfortable on the desolate parts of this route. Thanks for all your input, and Anniesatiago if you could tell methe two parts which you felt were not well marked that would be great. and Nancy, will you be walking the Camino de Madrid or the Camino Frances in July? If it's the Camino Madrid please let me me know your dates as it would be great if we were looking out for each other along the way!
Hi katfromcanada,
I wish I could walk the Camino de Madrid but I only have 18 days available to do the walk so I will be taking the train from Madrid to Leon to do the Camino Frances. I will arrive there July 11. It would have been great if we could have looked out for each other. If you change your mind and decide to do the Camino Frances, let me know!!

IMHO, you would be far, far, far, far better walking from Madrid to Leon in about 16 or 17 days, rather than getting the train to Leon and then wasting your time walking to Santiago. The walk you are intending doing is not anywhere near as interesting, involves a lot of walking by main and noisy roads, and is likely to be very busy, and the last 100km or so is especially nauseous.

From Madrid, or perhaps more accurately from Tras Cantos, you will be walking mostly in the countryside, with great signposting , wonderful albergues, ever-changing scenery and will be on a journey to remember. :):):)

One way to look at the "safety" along this route is, if a bad guy was lurking around the trail waiting for a solo female, they may be waiting for days on end!!!
So in this weird way, it may be very safe! Just a thought.
haha very true! I think I am going to do it. thanks for all the help!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Male female what difference does it make! Just saying. Replace fear with faith. Madrid is very very pilgram friendly. I have walked it 4 times. Bien camino!

Male female what difference does it make! Just saying. Replace fear with faith. Madrid is very very pilgram friendly. I have walked it 4 times. Bien camino!
Sorry, but I really disagree with your comment. I wish it didn't make a difference, but many times there is a big difference between a man and a woman doing the same activity. I know first hand from some shady experiences I've had while running alone here in Spain. It's a nice thought that we are treated equally, but unfortunately not everyone acts that way. It sounds like the Madrid route is great though, and I'm excited to do it.

Sorry, but I really disagree with your comment. I wish it didn't make a difference, but many times there is a big difference between a man and a woman doing the same activity. I know first hand from some shady experiences I've had while running alone here in Spain. It's a nice thought that we are treated equally, but unfortunately not everyone acts that way. It sounds like the Madrid route is great though, and I'm excited to do it.
If this were the Frances I might be a tad closer to jerbear's point, but the Madrid camino can be much less populated/walked so I think it very much does matter. Doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, but you are wise to be aware.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
IMHO, you would be far, far, far, far better walking from Madrid to Leon in about 16 or 17 days, rather than getting the train to Leon and then wasting your time walking to Santiago. The walk you are intending doing is not anywhere near as interesting, involves a lot of walking by main and noisy roads, and is likely to be very busy, and the last 100km or so is especially nauseous.

From Madrid, or perhaps more accurately from Tras Cantos, you will be walking mostly in the countryside, with great signposting , wonderful albergues, ever-changing scenery and will be on a journey to remember. :):):)
Thanks for the advice!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.