• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Safety on the Le Puy

Rellrog

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances: March 2013
Le Puy: July 2015
Portugues: April 2018
La Plata: March 2020-to be continued
I have been reading quite a bit recently about the amount of refugees fleeing North Africa and going through Italy and France on the way to Great Britain, Germany and Scandinavia. I am not usually one to worry about crime...and had no problem whatsoever on the Frances. However, does anyone have any input regarding this matter. Thanks much.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello,

The Le Puy way runs through (deep) rural France and small towns. Not the main targets for refugees, who are not intrisincally criminals.

Thanks. From everything I've read, I completely agree with you. I'm less worried about the refugees than I am about the people (vigilantes) that try to hunt them down. There has been a lot of media on that.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just heard yesterday that 1500 refugees will be placed in Figeac. These are the refugees Europe is accepting and distributing. I do not know how many others will be placed in deep France or where. These would not be refugees that are being "hunted". Don't know of this helps...

If you are not worried and didn't experience anything on the Le Puy yourself, what is the point of posting this thread?

whoa!...Luka, don't know who you are referring to...if me then there must be a misunderstanding. I posted because I was concerned about the possible refugee movement through France...as I said, I am less worried about the refugees than I am about the seemingly growing animosity toward them. If you will refer to my picture, you may notice that I can (and have been) thought to be Middle Eastern. Next, I have never walked the Le Puy...this is my first time. I walked the Frances two years ago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
whoa!...Luka, don't know who you are referring to...if me then there must be a misunderstanding. I posted because I was concerned about the possible refugee movement through France...as I said, I am less worried about the refugees than I am about the seemingly growing animosity toward them. If you will refer to my picture, you may notice that I can (and have been) thought to be Middle Eastern. Next, I have never walked the Le Puy...this is my first time. I walked the Frances two years ago.
A very reasonable and fair enquiry in light of events. I cannot help as I simply do not know but I like to hope that throughout this fantastic forum questions can be taken at face value without trying to second guess intent. Thanks!

€60,-
Must say that I agree with Bobbi. Why is this paranoia, Gavin? Is it paranoia when someone is concerned about theft, or women are concerned about walking alone, or someone is worried about the steep terrain on O'Cebreiro, or concern for bedbugs in the albergues. There was no judgement on my part about refugees (I am one myself); there was only concern about what I have seen on the news about the growing anger throughout Europe about the refugees. Paranoia is in the eye of the beholder. If I was Caucasian I probably wouldn't be concerned about anti refugee sentiment either. I am not. Given the great people I met on the Camino and on this forum I am surprised with the negative interpretation of my posting. May I suggest that you google this issue if you think this is paranoia. I agree with Bobbi that I thought this was an open forum where people can ask any honest inquiry. I did not know that there is a list of politically correct topics that I have to check before posting.

Last edited:
Must say that I agree with Bobbi. Why is this paranoia, Gavin? Is it paranoia when someone is concerned about theft, or women are concerned about walking alone, or someone is worried about the steep terrain on O'Cebreiro, or concern for bedbugs in the albergues. There was no judgement on my part about refugees (I am one myself); there was only concern about what I have seen on the news about the growing anger throughout Europe about the refugees. Given the great people I met on the Camino and on this forum I am surprised with the negative interpretation of my posting. May I suggest that you google this issue if you think this is paranoia. I agree with Bobbi that I thought this was an open forum where people can ask any honest inquiry. I did not know that there is a list of politically correct topics that I have to check before posting.

Spot on.
Unfortunately, these days across many parts of Europe, if you even mention a topic (the appalling sexual grooming of little white girls by Pakistani and Afghan Muslims in many UK inner cities, which was covered up and ignored for years and years, for instance) you are jumped upon and labelled a bigot / racist / fascist or whatever term some people like to throw about. What they don't realise is that by stifling RESPECTFUL free statement, queries, debate and opinion, they are demonstrating the very fascism and bigotry they are so happy to accuse others of.

Hello,

Going back to facts, as a daily reader of the french Press :
- I have never heard or read anything about having 1,500 refugees being sent to Figeac. Barbaravan, have you any source ?
- Same for actions against them from vigilantes (not really a french concept, people expecting that the State take care of such problems).

France is currently under the "Vigipirate" scheme, considering the risk of terrorist attacks towards national interests or worship places, with reinforced surveillance by police and military personel. An industrial site attacked this week for terrorist or other reasons. Some violence also from the taxi drivers againt Uber drivers and customers...

In a nutshell, not a fully quiet period but the Le Puy way is far from being the center of gravity of such problems !

Just relax and be safe !

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks NavyBlue. Will take your advice!

I have to agree with NavyBlue; you have every reason to expect a reasonably safe and free-from-incident journey on the Le Puy route. As with any travel, it is possible to come across one or two unfortunate episodes during your several weeks' journey. Unfortunately we all run that risk in some way (the details vary). The first part of the Le Puy route, up through Figeac, is truly off the beaten path economic development. I understand your concerns, and for those who have experienced discrimination or hostility, one's guard stays up. So I won't say you have nothing at all to worry about. But I do think your risk of having something to worry about is truly very small -- orders of magnitude below what you would worry about in Paris, for example.

Thanks Kit. I am not usually one to be concerned about these matters but maybe I am watching too much CNN, etc. :) My wife and I are looking forward to the Le Puy.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello,

Going back to facts, as a daily reader of the french Press :
- I have never heard or read anything about having 1,500 refugees being sent to Figeac. Barbaravan, have you any source ?
- Same for actions against them from vigilantes (not really a french concept, people expecting that the State take care of such problems).

France is currently under the "Vigipirate" scheme, considering the risk of terrorist attacks towards national interests or worship places, with reinforced surveillance by police and military personel. An industrial site attacked this week for terrorist or other reasons. Some violence also from the taxi drivers againt Uber drivers and customers...

In a nutshell, not a fully quiet period but the Le Puy way is far from being the center of gravity of such problems !

Just relax and be safe !

I am staying in Figeac (having been stopped from walking this year's chemin on the Voie de Vezelay because of a concussion). The placement of the refugees in Figeac was discussed at a dinner party of locals, more from a concern of what work they would have since work is scarce in this part of France. I walked the Le Puy route in 2012 and the Arles route in 2013 and felt safe. Times do change though and I do not look ethnic so I respect the question.

Thanks Barbara. Hope you are healing from the concussion and making plans for the next Camino. Buen Camino!

Thanks Barbara. Hope you are healing from the concussion and making plans for the next Camino. Buen Camino!
Thank you. I just received permission from the doctors to fly home. It has been an interesting and educational experience to not be allowed to walk (or drive or bicycle) and not be able to fly home. So it has been two months of a very different "pilgrimage" -- of visiting people and places and slowing down, well sitting down.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Kit. I am not usually one to be concerned about these matters but maybe I am watching too much CNN, etc. :) My wife and I are looking forward to the Le Puy.
Yes, stop watching CNN, that will make you afraid of going outside your house LOL :0)

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back