• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do you want to go lightweight? If so....

Kiko

Time of past OR future Camino
Del Norte (June 2015)
....then i have just completed 300kms on the Norte from Irun to Santander with a 25lt pack weighing 3.5kgs (before food and water) and i didn't want for anything! Actually, i could have left a couple of things behind :)

If you want to make your life easier, and believe me, unless you're fit, then the norte is quite a challenge even with 3.5kgs!, then you really DO NOT WANT 9-10kgs on your back as so many seem to do.

I am an experienced long-distance walker and i know that if I'm not camping, then i need carry very little.
The most important thing i think is to go for the silk-liner over the sleeping bag. As soon as you go for the bag, you need a bigger pack and when you've got a bigger pack then you tend to fill it!

So, 25lt pack, silk-liner, raincoat, and only one change of clothes: shorts, t-short and fleece.
NO SPARE PANTS or SOCKS! Yes, you read that correctly. When you arrive at the albergue, you wash your dirty walking clothes, you slip into your crocs and you go commando until your underpants are dry :)
You do not need 3 changes of clothes, believe me!

After that, its just a question of taking the minimum liquids and creams as possible....decanting sun-cream and toothpaste into smaller containers, and cutting your travel-towel in half...half is quite adequate!

So, hope this helps some people, but remember:
less kgs on your back = more smiles on your face :)

Buen camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
....then i have just completed 300kms on the Norte from Irun to Santander with a 25lt pack weighing 3.5kgs (before food and water) and i didn't want for anything! Actually, i could have left a couple of things behind :)

If you want to make your life easier, and believe me, unless you're fit, then the norte is quite a challenge even with 3.5kgs!, then you really DO NOT WANT 9-10kgs on your back as so many seem to do.

I am an experienced long-distance walker and i know that if I'm not camping, then i need carry very little.
The most important thing i think is to go for the silk-liner over the sleeping bag. As soon as you go for the bag, you need a bigger pack and when you've got a bigger pack then you tend to fill it!

So, 25lt pack, silk-liner, raincoat, and only one change of clothes: shorts, t-short and fleece.
NO SPARE PANTS or SOCKS! Yes, you read that correctly. When you arrive at the albergue, you wash your dirty walking clothes, you slip into your crocs and you go commando until your underpants are dry :)

After that, its just a question of taking the minimum liquids and creams as possible....decanting sun-cream and toothpaste into smaller containers, and cutting your travel-towel in half...half is quite adequate!

Buen camino

Thanks Kiko I'm so going to do this! I have a shoulder injury and maybe shouldn't carry a pack at all, but I want to so that I have freedom to stop where I will. I'm 'only' walking for 2 weeks StPdP to Burgos and you have really inspired me.
Thanks again

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Its nothing special Annie but i can check on the make later. With a blanket on top i had no issues

If you arrive at midday or not long after then taking no extra socks or underwear is a good idea if you want to keep your weight down, however I like taking my time and usually arriving at 6 or later does not give them time to dry for the next day, I avoid synthetics if I can so my garments are not quick drying.

What silk liner do you suggest?
I have yet to find one that didn't tangle me up and make me feel claustrophobic.
In Oslo there is a travel shop where you can buy silk liners in size single(85x220) medium (120x220) and double (160x220). Their netshop is at www.nomaden.no. Gives you a bit more room.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
"You go commando until your underpants are dry"

When I arrived in Belorado, mid afternoon, the temp was just above zero. The day after it started snowing.
When we arrived in Burgos it was 3c at four in the afternoon. With a bit of luck I might have got my underpants
on by Leon !

Believe me, if you walk in the shoulder months you do need a change of clothes.

Can you give us a breakdown of your 3.5kg weight ? I'm putting a plan together to walk from Porto
in September and would like to reduce my carry weight

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I also would like to see yoir list. I am wondering what you wear while doing laundry and while it dries, especially if it's cold out there.

Ok, here we go....oh, and Introit, this is obviously for the summer months!

this is what i carried once dressed for the trek:
25lt coolflow pack
silk liner
goretex rain jacket
1 pair shorts
1 cotton t-shirt
1 cashmere sweater (just to look a little less 'trekky' in town!)
crocsthe legs from my zip-off trekking trousers on hot days
half a trekking towel (though a small microfibre dishcloth even better!)
platypus 1lt water bottle
first aid: competed, micropore, painkillers
washkit: toothbrush, very small toothpaste, lens solution, lens case, shower gel (small bottle...also for shaving!), razor
spectacles + sunglasses
sun cream, washing liquid (very small bottle...you need far less than you think for a wash!)
opinel knife
iphone + charger (iphone= phone, internet, book, camera, torch and dictionary!)
section of Cicerone guide cut out of larger book

Ok, think that's it. As i say, i would normally arrive mid-afternoon and if weather good, then more than enough time to wash and dry t-shirt, underpants (wicking) and thin wooden socks, whilst wearing my spare shorts and t-shirt and crocs.
On the 2 days when it wasn't quite sunny enough, i either didn't wash them (!) or slept with them in my sack and they were pretty much dry by the morning.

I just couldn't understand exactly what people had in their packs to make them so heavy!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, can you imagine someone wearing the same socks for 2 whole days. I suspect I may be the first person in the history of the Camino to do this

<irony alert>

Once upon a time, I suspect people walked the whole 900kms without changing their socks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I love ultralight treking, i just wish they made ultra trek marathon vests in a xxl.

I find ultralight works well in hot weather.

Realistic you dont need sox or under wear,

shorts, t-shirt, sandals, hat with a back flap. Merino long pants, sun cream, micro towel. Travel shampoo, tooth paste, tooth brush travel size, small dental floss, silk liner, primaloft hooded jacket.

Travel wallet.

Ultra ten camelbak vest if it fits you.

Does not fit me

I'm always wondering when seeing all the posts about Weight ? don't the passion and Love you put in the Walks capable of overcoming all those hurdles ? ain't the Anxiety of Reaching Santiago and fulfilling your Camino capable of Making us forget the Long walks , The Feet Pain ect ,,,,, To Be Honest , Right now with all the Tons of work i should finish before the camino , and With Less Physical preparation , I'm still feel that since Driven by A the passion of the Camino , I will do it no matter what , Since No Matter what will Happen , whether I got injured , tired ect I will keep Going

I'm always wondering when seeing all the posts about Weight ? don't the passion and Love you put in the Walks capable of overcoming all those hurdles ? ain't the Anxiety of Reaching Santiago and fulfilling your Camino capable of Making us forget the Long walks , The Feet Pain ect ,,,,, To Be Honest , Right now with all the Tons of work i should finish before the camino , and With Less Physical preparation , I'm still feel that since Driven by A the passion of the Camino , I will do it no matter what , Since No Matter what will Happen , whether I got injured , tired ect I will keep Going
Call it being smart about putting as much luck on your side. Many do not make it, no matter how pasionate, the memorials are there to remind us of it, and en there are al those with no memorials or those who had to head back home. Love your enthusiasm though.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm sure I won't be back Home . It's in My Nature , whatever I'm passionate off , i do it till the end . Sometimes I quit on things so easy to do , but yet i lack interest in it. Looking forward to Share with you My Memories of my First Sight of Santiago Cathedral :)

How about: (for the more childishly inclined among us :))

Black socks,
They never get dirty
The longer you wear them
The blacker they get.
Sometimes I think I should wash them,
But something keeps telling me
"No, no, not yet."

hahahaa Nice one :)

Anemone you make a good point, it is definetly about stacking as many cards as you can in your favor.

Lighter, faster, longer easier.

Feet are number 1, make sure your footwear is perfect.

Not 1 blister in 4000km, i listen to the expert outdoor fitters. Make sure there reputable, and get the perfect footwear.

2 comfortable lightweight pack

3 minimize weight

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's a bit of nonsense my daughter came home with from kids' camp years ago. She's grown now, and I had to get her to remind me of the words.

here another joke about socks i still remember :
Question: What ancient sock was a famous Greek philosopher? Answer: Sockrates!

Would be lovely in theory but in practise i met far too many unhappy people who could have solved their unhappiness quite simply by carrying less weight.
One girl from Alicante, gave up on day two and went home....she had been preparing for this walk for a long time.The Norte is pretty tough imo and you make those steep climbs in the first week a whole lot tougher with 10kgs on your back.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm even more extreme re weight - I walked Irun-Santander last Sept and Santander-Baamonde this May - the main lesson is to use as much trail running gear as you can afford

I used a Lowe Alpine 14lt pack that weighed 2.5 kg without liquid - no evening sweater or shoes but second t-shirt, underwear and socks - no knife, phone or charger - but did carry Cicerone guide as well as CSJ pages for the day - agree with silk liner and could save maybe 200g by replacing Goretex paclite jacket with Berghaus vapourlight hypersock - wore Merrell barefoot Trail Glove 1 shoes with Vibram soles

Then added 2 x Sigg 0.6 lt bottles plus up to 1.5 lt plastic bottle of Aquarius drink - in Summer, this is likely to be the most important thing that you're carrying - to make 5 kg overall

Black socks,
They never get dirty
The longer you wear them
The blacker they get.
"No, no, not yet."
:)
Now if you have Corrymoor mohair socks you really don't need to wash them. Only reason we washed ours was that they 'give' a little and washing gets them back into shape.

On the lightweight issue. We have one complete change of clothes, extra undies and liner socks (we do wash those) waterproofs and toiletries/medical kit. my pack with water weighed 6.25kgs - until I added an apple and some bread. :( Realised later that the bread weighed 150-200gms and the apples were all around 250gms... Answer, cut the ends off the bread and eat half the apple at least before putting it in the pack.

I have yet to find one that didn't tangle me up and make me feel claustrophobic.
Annie I'm on Vancouver Island, Canada so we have Mountain Equipment Coop here; similar to REI in U.S.
I bought the 'Intrepid'. It's a cross between a bag and a liner and very light. The only product I.D. I can see on my receipt is 470077, but not sure if that's the store product I.D. or not, but if you do a bit of searching, I'm sure you'll find it..

I tried the silk liner from REI. Had the same experience as you. Returned it. I bought silk and had a friend make me one with a long zipper on the side which makes it easy to get in and out of. Also a small pocket at head just the size of a little blow-up pillow I have. The zipper does make it a little heavier but worth it to me. The silk was also a slight bit heavier than the extremely thin REI one.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well, I'm going to walk El Camino starting on the 17th this month and I'm in panic.

I'm only going to take one spare T-shirt, spare pants (taking shorts on me) spare socks, ultralight foam sandals, aluminum cup and plate, toiletries and the bare basics in terms of keeping records. Now my HUGE problem is the following: Sleeping Bag. I've got this flimsy bag that weights arround 200gr, but takes up a whole lot of room. I've been told that my group will be sleeping in schools and such (I'm going with the Claretian Youth group and they arranged those things last year) and that it'll be a whole Lotta heat. So I was advised by a family member to take a bigger towel and use it as a blanket instead of the sleeping bag, since it's a microfiber towel which dries fast and is warm. But I've been reading about those liners... I'm kinda short on cash. Can anyone advise me on what to choose and above anything, on how to keep the weight at a minimum?

Ps: my bag currently weights arround 2kg. The above-mentioned sleeping bag weights 700gr after all.

Thank you all in advance
~Alex

Buen camino

Kiko:

I think that works for Summer months but not sure in early Spring, late Fall and definitely not Winter. Your post will challenge me to see how low I might go this coming Spring. :) Currently at 9 kg's and shooting for 6-7 kg's. Biggest issue is my pack. I like Osprey's with built in rain cover. Have yet to find a small one with that feature. How much does your 25l pack weigh? My sleeping bag is only 1.8 lbs or .8kg's.

Ultreya,
Joe

Buen camino
Less is best. The lightest lightest load I ran into was a woman with just what she had on. It seemed to work.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
With several training walks here, have got the pack down from 10 to lbs and still have everything I need…..
I love my Osprey pack except for the water bottle location; hard to reach, so will rig up a waist belt with one.

have got the pack down from 10 to lbs and still have everything I need…..
I love my Osprey pack except for the water bottle location; hard to reach,
Did you get lower than 10lb or down to 10 lb? Either way, it is great! Which Osprey do you have? I have a Talon 33 and agree that it's awkward to get the water. I can just reach, but with some difficulty. Since I'm walking in October-November, I don't need to access it quite as much as I would in hotter weather.

Did you get lower than 10lb or down to 10 lb? Either way, it is great! Which Osprey do you have? I have a Talon 33 and agree that it's awkward to get the water. I can just reach, but with some difficulty. Since I'm walking in October-November, I don't need to access it quite as much as I would in hotter weather.
whoops…meant to say that I got it from 10lb to 8 lb. I have the Kyte 36L. This morning was not too bad; I was able to maneuver it okay, but I'll still try the waist option for the water. I'm on the trail last week of Sept. all of Oct, edging into Nov 2nd (hopefully in Santiago) for the big birthday!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have what they call 'The Intrepid' a cross between a bag and a liner. Silk/polyester - light quilting on one side; other side is flat. I have it in a compression bag and it only takes up half the space in the small separate bottom section that has its own zipper for easy access. I know there probably isn't anything I couldn't get on the Camino IF I really needed it...

My husband and I used a dreamsack from Yaladesigns. You can see them here: http://www.yaladesigns.com/extra-roomy-opening-dreamsack .... The ones we chose for ourselves were the oversized design with a weight of 8 oz. A little bit wider and maybe longer then the usual liners but it was the width I was interested in. Very comfy and my husband used his almost every night. I found I only needed to use it as a sheet. Opened wide I could stick my feet in the feet "pocket" and spread it sheet wise over top. In the heat we had during our Camino it was perfect. The only thing I didn't like that much was the velco tabs used to close it, they were a tiny bit prickly but not overly so ... ties might have been nicer but not as convenient for quick opening and closing. The extra width gave enough room that I never felt I was tangled or confined. I am one of those people as well, who get hot feet in bed so being able to stick them out through the tabbed openings was wonderful. Ultra lightweight and compact in it's bag. We recommend them and are now using them on our boat.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Commando might be great for guys but not for girls. If you are out more than 20 days means that you will have your period :-/

With several training walks here, have got the pack down from 10 to lbs and still have everything I need…..
I love my Osprey pack except for the water bottle location; hard to reach, so will rig up a waist belt with one.
I found the same thing with my osprey pack it is a stretch to reach the water bottle. What I have done is buy the osprey rev solo and wear it as a belly pack then put my rucksack on over it this gives me water easily accessible on a side note when I contacted osprey to find out about buying a second bottle for the belt they very nicely sent me on for free when I explained why I needed it I now have a bottle at my waist and a spare in the bag

Black socks,
They never get dirty
The longer you wear them
The blacker they get.
"No, no, not yet."

And then you take the ear plugs out and hear everybody going "Phew!" :eek:)

Commando might be great for guys but not for girls. If you are out more than 20 days means that you will have your period :-/

Moon cup?

Actually I know some (Royal Marine) Commandos and they favour Norwegian military underwear . . . .

I'm not sure how you could do a Sept/October camino on the Vdlp, when you have hot, cold, and wet weather, to cut your backpack weight so low. I hope you weren't like some guys I run into at the gym who are oblivious to others but reek to high heaven. As the camino includes communal living, consideration of others for your own comfort, imho, is not very admirable.

It's funny this morning I was putting away all the things we used on the Portuguese last month and came upon the little blue "gym bag" we'd picked up in SdC to carry our shopping in (hate using plastic bags) and I thought mmmmm . . .

upload_2015-7-5_13-2-6.png

That's an Altus raincoat, 124 x 100 cm towel, spare trousers, silk liner, two pair pants, two pair socks, one pair evening socks, two tee-shirts, wash kit

upload_2015-7-5_13-3-49.png

Now I know I can wear my Merrell hiking shoes all day, change socks and wear them in the evening. Would be wearing a light fleece and maybe a rain jacket (or tied around waist).

Obviously there's odds and ends like phone chargers, food and water but then what did the British army invent cargo pockets in trousers for? ;o)

Weighs in at 2.23kg and is NOT a serious suggestion!

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-5_13-1-2.png
    upload_2015-7-5_13-1-2.png
    991.1 KB · Views: 1
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You might consider the option below, and using the 'S' hook to attach the water bottle to the strap of your pack - making the water bottle easily accessible while walking. A forum member mentioned that the metal bottle could double as a hot water bottle at night, if necessary. Mind you, the one night I could have benefited from this, the albergue had run out of hot water.
IMG_0093.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
I found the same thing with my osprey pack it is a stretch to reach the water bottle. What I have done is buy the osprey rev solo and wear it as a belly pack then put my rucksack on over it this gives me water easily accessible on a side note when I contacted osprey to find out about buying a second bottle for the belt they very nicely sent me on for free when I explained why I needed it I now have a bottle at my waist and a spare in the bag
Try the Smartube to access water while the bottle sits on the side of your Osprey.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You might consider the option below, and using the 'S' hook to attach the water bottle to the strap of your pack - making the water bottle easily accessible while walking. A forum member mentioned that the metal bottle could double as a hot water bottle at night, if necessary. Mind you, the one night I could have benefited from this, the albergue had run out of hot water.
View attachment 19750
Try the Smartube to access water while the bottle sits on the side of your Osprey.

I don't get on with hydration systems - the water in the tube often gets disgustingly tepid when it is warm. It's also impossible to put my water bottle back into the pocket of my Low Alpine rucksack without taking it off. I solved my drinking on the go problem by buying a insulating pouch made by Quechua from Decathlon. This had a belt loop on it as well as a shoulder carrying strap. I took the strap off and used the carry loop on the waist strap of my rucksack. So my bottle was always to hand when wanted, and it did not hang low and get in the way as an S clip attached to a bottle stopper would do.

What is the 'Smartube' ?
Google it, you will find photos on sites that sell it like Amazon. It's 2 different size bottle caps and one adapter, with a whole through which you pass a tube si,ilar to the one used with bladders. Tube goes in water bottle, not a bladder, so same easy access to water tha with bladder, but much easier to refill the bottles than the bladder. 20$ or so. Expensive when you think of the pennies it costs to manufacture, but works great and adds minimal weight to what you carry.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Less is best. The lightest lightest load I ran into was a woman with just what she had on. It seemed to work.

My Caminos have all been in April / May when the weather is unpredictable, so I have needed to pack accordingly. The question always is "Do I really need this?" Remember i-pads and smart phones weigh a lot! A simple cell phone works well in Spain. I would always go with a spare pair of liner socks and a spare pair of briefs - just weighed them and they are 80 grams. Well worth taking for the comfort :oops: they provide come evening time!
IMHO some folk who pack ultra-light are the biggest "scroungers / borrowers" of essentials carried by others. The Parable of the Wise and Foolish Virgins (St. Matthew 25) has lessons for the pilgrim ;)

A blessing on your packing list!
Tio Tel

Google it, you will find photos on sites that sell it like Amazon. It's 2 different size bottle caps and one adapter, with a whole through which you pass a tube si,ilar to the one used with bladders. Tube goes in water bottle, not a bladder, so same easy access to water tha with bladder, but much easier to refill the bottles than the bladder. 20$ or so. Expensive when you think of the pennies it costs to manufacture, but works great and adds minimal weight to what you carry.
Thanks for the suggestion, but it is not a system I would want. I'll try the S hook…….

Moon cup?

Actually I know some (Royal Marine) Commandos and they favour Norwegian military underwear . . . .
For some it works for some not. Changing can be a messy thing and public toilets (even in albergues) doesn't always have running water in the same room as the toilet it self. They should be stored in a cool and dark place when not used. It isn't so cool inside your backpack. I prefer not to use cup or tampons during the camino.

Maggie,

I had the same problem with my Osprey bag. So in 2013 I took an Outdoor Research water bottle holster that attached with velcro to the pack's waistbelt. It didn't move/bounce around much at all and I really liked having my water so accessible.

I see that MEC has them listed as "in stock" in Victoria (both the Outdoor Research type and their own version.) Comes in a 500 ml or 1 L capacity. Maybe you can check it out and see if it might work for you.

http://www.mec.ca/product/5038-399/mec-water-bottle-holster/

5038-399_AST04-ALT-BACK_view1_720x720.jpg

Last edited:
It's funny this morning I was putting away all the things we used on the Portuguese last month and came upon the little blue "gym bag" we'd picked up in SdC to carry our shopping in (hate using plastic bags) and I thought mmmmm . . .

View attachment 19744

That's an Altus raincoat, 124 x 100 cm towel, spare trousers, silk liner, two pair pants, two pair socks, one pair evening socks, two tee-shirts, wash kit

View attachment 19745

Now I know I can wear my Merrell hiking shoes all day, change socks and wear them in the evening. Would be wearing a light fleece and maybe a rain jacket (or tied around waist).

Obviously there's odds and ends like phone chargers, food and water but then what did the British army invent cargo pockets in trousers for? ;o)

Weighs in at 2.23kg and is NOT a serious suggestion!
I know you said it wasn't a serious suggestion, but seriously one could easily walk the CF during the summer with only that kit (and a couple of toiletries, obviously).

Just £2.99 on ebay uk!

You can only truely understand lightweight when you get rid of underwear. Sox only in cold or sub zero.

Speedos, lightweight hat, spray on sunscreen and a pair of treking sandals with a feather light running water belt in summer. Thermalite sleeping bag liner. No toiletries. Does not get lighter than this.

It would take confidence to do this

Oz trekker, I wish I could be so brave. Would it also require less of a need for approval of others? Here I am, unadorned, unperfumed, just the basics. A very freeing thought.

this thread is now in danger of turning into a Monty Python sketch and is therefore officially closed
:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Although I admire the less is more philosophy, I think some people take it to an extreme. It becomes more an ego trip for bragging rights than for comfort. I believe there is a happy medium. Personally, I'm cool with whatever anyone wants to do. All that matters is what feels good for you. I love reading about others packing lists, but I don't take anyone's list as Gospel. I get ideas sure. But then I filter it thru my own needs & wants & physical ability. We are all different. All our walks will bring about unique experiences, because we are all individuals. And our packing philosophy is no different. Some advice is great, but to each their own. Ultimately we walk our own way. As it should be. Besides, part of the fun and the adventure is discovering what works and doesn't work for us on the path.

I want a pack small enough to get on a plane as carry on, but Im a big guy(6'4" tall & 230lbs), so I will probably carry more than some because of my size. And unlike the ounce counters, having a second set of clothes is not a luxury for me, it's a necessity. I cut weight where I can. I don't wear heavy boots. I prefer a minimal trainer from Merrell.

But I do have luxury items too. I plan to bring my hammock set up. Although I look forward to meeting lots of people while walking, and in the town bars & restaurants...sleeping in a crowded room full of snoring smelly strangers on bed bug ridden mattresses is not how I wanna end each day after a long walk! I much rather string up my hammock under the Spanish stars. But hey, that's just me. That's my way. :)

Last edited:
It is always a balancing act - is each item worth its weight? The answer depends on the individual. For many the greatest comfort is having a minimal and lightweight pack. For others it is having the gear to cope in any situation.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.