• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shoes for My Camino

intrepidtraveler

Time of past OR future Camino
Caminos Madrid, Frances and Finisterre (2015)
Camino Norte-2017; Camino Ingles from A Coruna - 2017
I am still trying to decide on the shoes I will wear on my camino. The plan is to do the Camino de Madrid to Saguhaun and continue on the Camino Frances to Santiago. My favorite pair of shoes is the Hoka Clifton-very cushy but also very lightweight. The tread is somewhat grippy but not as much so as a hiking shoe. Is the terrain such over this route that I will have problems in a comfy running shoe? I mostly go barefoot or wear barefoot equivalent footwear so the concept of wearing a boot does not compute. Also, I will be bringing a pair of good, grippy backpacking sandals. Any insights, comments would be greatly appreciated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @intrepidtraveler . In another thread you said you were planning to start from Madrid early September. The weather is likely to be hot and dry. The weather in Galicia in October won't be.
Moreover a search of the forum will reveal more raucous argument over footwear than almost any other topic (except all the other ones). With luck you will be offered the extremely sound advice "wear a well broken-in pair of the sort of footwear you are used to walking /training in." The terrain on your route is too varied, from asphalt to loose rock and Galician "mud" for any one boot or shoe to be perfectly suited so wear what suits you and be careful on loose rock and nimble in the sticky stuff.

Buen Camino

Tincatinker gave you the best answer... Wear something you are used to.

I did my Camino Frances with a pair of normal Mizunos that I often used to walk in my neighbourhood. They were super comfortable and I had no blisters, no nothing. My husband used his favourite pair of Merrels, and had only one blister.

Don't know about doing the Camino de Madrid barefoot (so many cows and cow stuff everywhere! :D), but as long as you wear something comfy, you'll be fine.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am still trying to decide on the shoes I will wear on my camino. The plan is to do the Camino de Madrid to Saguhaun and continue on the Camino Frances to Santiago. My favorite pair of shoes is the Hoka Clifton-very cushy but also very lightweight. The tread is somewhat grippy but not as much so as a hiking shoe. Is the terrain such over this route that I will have problems in a comfy running shoe? I mostly go barefoot or wear barefoot equivalent footwear so the concept of wearing a boot does not compute. Also, I will be bringing a pair of good, grippy backpacking sandals. Any insights, comments would be greatly appreciated.
Last May I walked the Camino Frances from Leon to Santiago. I wore Keen hiking sandals mostly due to too tight hiking/running shoes. They were fine, good grip but not as good in mud. This September going again and will be wearing Merrell hiking shoes (waterproof) but also taking the Keen's for the dry days.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I think what I needed to hear is that no one shoe will cover all conditions so wear something comfy, which is my Hoka Cliftons.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back