• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice for Pilgrims starting in Mid July?

Adejh

Caminoade
Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago, Compostella
Hi there!

I'm so happy to have stumbled upon this forum, what a great community!

The thought of doing the Camino de Francés has been rattling around my skull for some time. And now with 30 or so available, it's about time I make it happen.

I plan to travel within the next 15 days from London to St Jean Pied de Port and start the journey. The trip is semi impulsive, I'd like to think I have the fitness from a recent season of endurance running, and completing hiking expeditions in the past. I have 5 questions which I hope you'd be able to help me with (much appreciated).

1) I wonder is anybody in a similar situation? Travelling around the same time? First timer?

2) What advice would you give for a first timer? Staying safe? Managing the heat, distance etc?

3) From what I've read, it seems that once you've got your Pilgrim Passport, your hiking gear, hygiene equipment and your travel credentials (passport, insurance, EHIC etc), you're pretty much good-to-go... Is that correct?

4) Would you suggest getting the Pilgrim Passport Before, or when you arrive at St Jean Pied de Port?

5) I have drafted a travel plan, along with costs; for the whole trip + gear, it's looking to be under £2000 - is that realistic?

Thank you for reading, and for any advice you may offer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
1 - All of us were first timers at least once.

2 - The secret to staying safe - don't get drunk and behave like a target. Keep your hand on your wallet when travelling on public transport in cities. The main thing with heat is to drink lots of water. Keep distance to about 20 km per day ... unless you are out for an athletic contest of some sort.

3 - You don't need hiking gear to walk. Ordinary everyday clothing will suffice.

4 - I would suggest getting the pilgrim credencial before you travel ... one less administrative detail.

5- Calculate on 30 - 35 Euros per day plus costs of travel to and from ... plus any gear that you feel you might need. No idea of Euros - Pounds exchange rates.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks!

I like your reply to question one ;)

RE: Q5, what are you thoughts of carrying cash? Are there many cash points en route - do bars, Refugios take card?

I keep reading that I can be difficult to find a bed towards the end of the Camino, how many days of the 32 (assumed duration) did you sleep outside?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Welcome Adejh! There are plenty of cash machines along the way so carry just enough to cover you for a few days plus a little back up emergency cash somewhere hidden. I generally take out a couple hundred euro at a time and always carry a back up 50 euro hidden. Generally Bars and Refugio's do not take credit cards. It is a cash economy. You should be able to find a place to sleep every night although you may have to walk on to the next albergue. Regarding your credential, it is easy to get in St. Jean. Most important advice is to be kind to your feet. Get well fitted shoes/boots and check your feet often in the early days. Air them out and rest often while walking. Bring some preventative tape or bandage to put on "hot spots" BEFORE a blister forms. Drink lots of water. You will learn as you walk so just go with the flow and enjoy. Buen Camino!

I keep reading that I can be difficult to find a bed towards the end of the Camino, how many days of the 32 (assumed duration) did you sleep outside?

None. In May, when we could not find an albergue (happened rarely), I spent some more money paying for an inn. 35-40 euro for a double room was the average in those cases.

1) Just go back. It was awesome. There will be plenty of first times in July, it's summer holidays!

2) Don't force yourself, even if you feel tempted. After two 30km days feeling just tired, we decided to do a 38km day... and it was AWFUL. Almost forced us to stop for a day, so broken we got :/
And another temptation to resist (a very hard one): don't drink all the wine you get, which is very cheap and good. It dehidrates you massively.

3) I suppose that's a good list for any trip ^^

4) I got my credentials beforehand, so didn't need to worry about it there. You can order them from this forum, in the "Services in Santiago by Ivar" top link.

5) That would be almost 3000 euros, right? Without the flight tickets, sounds right. Do not spend much with gear, though. You really don't need fancy stuff, use the ones you already have and are comfortable with ^^

Adejh,

Welcome. The cover of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy reads: "Don't Panic." I think that should be posted at the top of every forum post. You'll be fine.

To your questions:

1) I wonder is anybody in a similar situation? Travelling around the same time? First timer? We walked July-Aug. 2014. Basically your physical fitness regime is about what we did, and we did not encounter fitness problems. Feet problems is a different matter. See #2 below.

2) What advice would you give for a first timer? Staying safe? Managing the heat, distance etc? The most important error I made was thinking of this an another "hiking expedition." It is not. It is very different, with different needs, especially footwear. My thoughts on most of these topics are here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...id-not-for-a-summer-camino.31137/#post-304777

3) From what I've read, it seems that once you've got your Pilgrim Passport, your hiking gear, hygiene equipment and your travel credentials (passport, insurance, EHIC etc), you're pretty much good-to-go... Is that correct? Pretty much, but read the link above.

4) Would you suggest getting the Pilgrim Passport Before, or when you arrive at St Jean Pied de Port? We got ours at the albuergue in Pamplona.

5) I have drafted a travel plan, along with costs; for the whole trip + gear, it's looking to be under £2000 - is that realistic? I think so. Our biggest expense was getting there from the States. You are much closer. Our second biggest expense was buying shoes along the way. Get that sorted before you leave and save a bundle.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you all for your very detailed replies!

Something for @Jo Jo , After reading your very detailed report, I noticed that you did not bring a sleeping bag with you, just a liner. And that was ok? What do others (on this thread) think about that - a sleeping bag isn't really necessary?

Also you mentioned being between your Asics running shoes and your boots. So maybe it's best to bring both because of the varying ground types? I can see myself strapping my boots to my bag for the asphalt/tarmac sections, but it could get cumbersome. Or maybe the ground such that you'd be able to walk the whole Camino is Asics running shoes?

Thanks in advance.

Adejh: most people don't bring both hiking boots and running shoes...generally one or the other and possibly a hiking sandle or something comfortable to wear once you arrive at the albergue. Boots vs. shoes is a personal decision (and much debated). You can do a search using the search box in the upper right hand corner of the page (enter: hiking boots) and you will find information and discussions (make sure and search for socks as well and blister prevention as well). Also, on the top there is a tab for "Camino Resources" where you will find lots of information including suggested packing lists.

Adejh,

For summer, a even liner was actually too hot many night (slept on top). In the places it got cold, the albuerges had blankets. The only place we found where that was not true (no blanket and cold) was Roncevalles. Next time I would bring one of those airline blankets, carry it only as far as Roncevalles, and leave it there.

Boots vs. hiking sandals vs. running shoes will ignite a much longer topic, one that has been done before. Long story short, for me on the Camino there was nothing close to the rough trails I'm used to backpacking in the States, where boots are nice. Especially for a summer Camino, I would carry one pair of running shoes designed for concrete/asphalt ("tarmac" in your words), and one pair of hiking sandals (for rougher bits and for the rain). This summer for a pilgrimage in Italy (just as hot, but with almost no pilgrims), I'm doing just that (a running shoe for my wide feet, and Keen Arroyo II sandals (sole of a hiking boot, but top of a sandal)). Moab Ventilators (by Merrell) also might be a nice boot/sandal compromise (too narrow for my feet, but otherwise nicely designed for very hot climates).

There are lots of opinions on this. The one question I would ask anyone recommending boots is: "Did they walk in the middle of the summer?" I've seen pictures of the mud in the spring, and I can understand why people want boots then. I wear boots only in seasons/situations where keeping your feet warm is important or on extremely rough trails. Neither is an issue in mid-summer on the Camino. The other exception would be for people with some sort of serious ankle problem that cannot be strengthened with exercise. YMMV.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you all for your very detailed replies!

Something for @Jo Jo , After reading your very detailed report, I noticed that you did not bring a sleeping bag with you, just a liner. And that was ok? What do others (on this thread) think about that - a sleeping bag isn't really necessary?

Also you mentioned being between your Asics running shoes and your boots. So maybe it's best to bring both because of the varying ground types? I can see myself strapping my boots to my bag for the asphalt/tarmac sections, but it could get cumbersome. Or maybe the ground such that you'd be able to walk the whole Camino is Asics running shoes?

Thanks in advance.

I will also be walking the Camino for the first time beginning mid July.

Most of what I'm about to say is based on what I've gleaned from reading these forums and what I know about what I personally need and don't want to carry.

Re sleeping bags and liners, I made the choice to go with a liner only. It's very compact and light weight, and from what I understand, may only be needed a few times, since albergues have fully made beds, and it's only on the rare occasion that you'd need to sleep on the floor that it would be necessary. It will also be hot, so a regular sleeping bag is unnecessary. While I was shopping for gear, most sleeping bags I found, even the thinnest, lightest ones, seemed excessively heavy and bulky for my liking.

There seems to be a consensus that having cool, light weight, well ventilated shoes is more of a priority in summer than having boots that are heavy duty or water proof. I've exchanged my shoes four times, and in the end chose a pair of new balance trail runners with vibram soles, which are similar to running shoes I already have and that I know work for me.

Some additional info about my gear:

A lot of people are fans of osprey backpacks. They have some great features, though in the end I opted for a black diamond pack that has a disc shaped suspension system between the hip belt and back which allows for hip and shoulder mobility. I could dance in this pack if I wanted to.

Some people bring floor pads for sleeping. I'm sure there would be mixed opinions about this, but I found a very lightweight hot yoga mat that is basically a yoga towel on one side and grippy on the other. It solves the issue of bringing a sleeping pad (which many people think is unnecessary) and my desire to still practice yoga along the way.

Great!

@Jo Jo regards the hiking sandal, thanks for the info. I've seen these at my local store
I think they're quite similar to the Arroyo hiking Sandal. What do you think of the sole? I'm thinking to use those with my Asiscs Gel Kayano 20 for the tarmac sections. Otherwise I'd go for these http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-surge-mens-walking-shoes-183201?colcode=18320105 similar to the Moab's.

@LizziM Yes yes, I too seem to be reading similar things about sleeping bags and boots. Thanks for the info about Black Diamond, their range of packs look great. Also I'm sure you'll have a great time doing Yoga whilst on the Camino - some great views. Buen Camino!

If you do endurance running and hiking you will have no problem WALKING the Camino Frances. It's a walk, not a hike and not really all that difficult especially for a young, fit guy. I did it twice no problem in my 50's with no prior training. In my 20's and 30's I think I could have jogged the whole thing.
For sure do not wear hiking boots. Leave the boots at home. Wear running shoes or any type of trail runners instead. For the albergue showers bring some rubber flip-flop sandals.
You don't need a sleeping bag during the summer. A liner is fine. I didn't bring a sleeping bag on either Camino I walked.
Get your pilgrim's passport in St Jean Pied de Port. The pilgrim's office is easy to find and I never had to queue up to get one. Took about 10 minutes and cost 2 euros. Nice people volunteering there, too. They will also give you an elevation chart for the Camino and a list of albergues along the way.
cheers

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello. What day do you arrive ? In Biarritz? I am a first time walker and I arrive in Biarritz on July 16th. If you arrive on that day; would you be interested in Sharing a taxi ? Enjoy!
Hi there!

The thought of doing the Camino de Francés has been rattling around my skull for some time. And now with 30 or so available, it's about time I make it happen.

I plan to travel within the next 15 days from London to St Jean Pied de Port and start the journey. The trip is semi impulsive, I'd like to think I have the fitness from a recent season of endurance running, and completing hiking expeditions in the past. I have 5 questions which I hope you'd be able to help me with (much appreciated).

1) I wonder is anybody in a similar situation? Travelling around the same time? First timer?

2) What advice would you give for a first timer? Staying safe? Managing the heat, distance etc?

3) From what I've read, it seems that once you've got your Pilgrim Passport, your hiking gear, hygiene equipment and your travel credentials (passport, insurance, EHIC etc), you're pretty much good-to-go... Is that correct?

4) Would you suggest getting the Pilgrim Passport Before, or when you arrive at St Jean Pied de Port?

5) I have drafted a travel plan, along with costs; for the whole trip + gear, it's looking to be under £2000 - is that realistic?

Hi there!

@mmwid Hi there, I am actually arriving on the 8th.

I'm sure when you arrive at the airport you'll meet lots of people in a similar situation :)

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.