• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In that case, you are welcome

newfydog

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Pamplona-Santiago, Le Puy- Santiago, Prague- LePuy, Menton- Toulouse, Menton- Rome, Canterbury- Lausanne, Chemin Stevenson, Voie de Vezelay
We thought we figured out a nice little back road cut off on the Vezelay route. It was a great dirt road, but ended behind someone's barn. We thought we'd discretely walk around it and get back to the road. We ran into a rather aristocratic looking gentleman:

"monsieur, ce domaine est privé"
"Sorry", We replied in bad French "We are pelerins, a little bit lost from the Chemin St Jacques."

"Ah, In that case, you are welcome!" he replied in elegant English. "Turn left past the barn and I will open the gate so that you may get back to the route"

We turned left, and I snapped a quick photo of our very understanding host's home:

Perdu.JPG

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It is amazing, the French attitude toward private property. Obviously, a place like that would want a bit of privacy, but trespassers are not seen as someone who should be shot. Most farm and vineyard roads are open to hikers and bikers. In the area that we mountain bike in the south of France, the only vineyard which is gated and closed belongs to that Brad and Angelina pair. If you can see a route on Google Earth, you can probably bike it.

In the US we see signs like "if you can read this, you're in my range" Anything private is gated and locked and an honest mistake may result in an angry confrontation. In France, a couple muddy pilgrims on bikes were treated with grace and class.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We thought we figured out a nice little back road cut off on the Vezelay route. It was a great dirt road, but ended behind someone's barn. We thought we'd discretely walk around it and get back to the road. We ran into a rather aristocratic looking gentleman:

"monsieur, ce domaine est privé"
"Sorry", We replied in bad French "We are pelerins, a little bit lost from the Chemin St Jacques."

"Ah, In that case, you are welcome!" he replied in elegant English. "Turn left past the barn and I will open the gate so that you may get back to the route"

We turned left, and I snapped a quick photo of our very understanding host's home:

View attachment 19615
Oh, my HEAVENS! That must have been a stunning, stunning surprise! This photo is incredible.

....and then he politely closed the gate!

(actually, you know what? You were probably talking to the butler or the gardener)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
....and then he politely closed the gate!

(actually, you know what? You were probably talking to the butler or the gardener)

No, he had just gotten out of a fancy black sedan, and was wearing some sort of riding pants. Just the way the lord of the estate would look in a movie. The whole episode was a bit surreal.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back