• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why the Camino scares me...

SuperPilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
CF June 5, 2013
CF June 5, 2015
CF June 3, 2017
CN May 27, 2019
I've wanted to walk the Camino since I first learned about it in high school in 1985. From time to time I would get motivated to do it, but then always found a reason to put it off. For ten years I even lived in Spain and still kept postponing my Camino. Finally in June of 2013 I made a decision to walk the way. A week later I was in St Jean Pied de Port walking out of my hotel on June 5th. It was 8:00am, exactly.

In the week prior I walked as much as I could. Tried to get at least a few days of training under my belt, but clearly not enough. After the first day I was tired, but not broken. After the second day I was a wreck. My right foot swelled so badly I could not get it into my shoe. I couldn't put any weight on my foot. I called some friends of mine who are professional dancers on Dancing with the Stars for help. The advice was to wrap it tight with ice packs, elevate and rest. I did that through the night and was able to walk again the next day.

Each day was a struggle. On June 13 I stopped to take a photo. At the same second I snapped the picture I felt a stabbing pain in my right leg. Upon looking down I saw a large bump on the side of my shin. Later I learned that a section of muscle had torn away from my bone. It will never heal. Despite a little more pain I continued on my Camino. The rest of the muscle still worked, so I kept going. Each night with ice and elevation. Trying to not quit.

About 3 miles (5km) from Burgos my right foot decided to swell again. I couldn't put any weight on it, but I had my walking poles so I just lifted the right foot off the ground and hopped the rest of the way into Burgos. This time I went to the hospital and was there for the rest of the day. My leg was a mess and I was told to rest for at least 2 weeks before continuing.

I listened to the doctors and began to rehab my leg. After two days I decided that two weeks was too long! I started again on my walk. Stretching every couple hours, seeing physical therapists each night. I was walking through my rehab.

Maybe it was stupid, but I did get stronger. My last 5 days where amazing. I was at 100%. I could walk forever. Many of the people I met again in Santiago could not believe I finished. Neither could I, but it was done.

On June 5th 2015 it will be time for my second Camino de Santiago. Exactly two years from my first. I'm starting with a right leg that only has about 70% of the muscle functioning, but that 70% is training. I'm walking, running, hiking and getting ready. I do have flashbacks of the pain, but that is my motivation.

The Camino is a serious undertaking. Let's hope my second Camino is a success.

I made this video after completing my first Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've wanted to walk the Camino since I first learned about it in high school in 1985. From time to time I would get motivated to do it, but then always found a reason to put it off. For ten years I even lived in Spain and still kept postponing my Camino. Finally in June of 2013 I made a decision to walk the way. A week later I was in St Jean Pied de Port walking out of my hotel on June 5th. It was 8:00am, exactly.

In the week prior I walked as much as I could. Tried to get at least a few days of training under my belt, but clearly not enough. After the first day I was tired, but not broken. After the second day I was a wreck. My right foot swelled so badly I could not get it into my shoe. I couldn't put any weight on my foot. I called some friends of mine who are professional dancers on Dancing with the Stars for help. The advice was to wrap it tight with ice packs, elevate and rest. I did that through the night and was able to walk again the next day.

Each day was a struggle. On June 13 I stopped to take a photo. At the same second I snapped the picture I felt a stabbing pain in my right leg. Upon looking down I saw a large bump on the side of my shin. Later I learned that a section of muscle had torn away from my bone. It will never heal. Despite a little more pain I continued on my Camino. The rest of the muscle still worked, so I kept going. Each night with ice and elevation. Trying to not quit.

About 3 miles (5km) from Burgos my right foot decided to swell again. I couldn't put any weight on it, but I had my walking poles so I just lifted the right foot off the ground and hopped the rest of the way into Burgos. This time I went to the hospital and was there for the rest of the day. My leg was a mess and I was told to rest for at least 2 weeks before continuing.

I listened to the doctors and began to rehab my leg. After two days I decided that two weeks was too long! I started again on my walk. Stretching every couple hours, seeing physical therapists each night. I was walking through my rehab.

Maybe it was stupid, but I did get stronger. My last 5 days where amazing. I was at 100%. I could walk forever. Many of the people I met again in Santiago could not believe I finished. Neither could I, but it was done.

On June 5th 2015 it will be time for my second Camino de Santiago. Exactly two years from my first. I'm starting with a right leg that only has about 70% of the muscle functioning, but that 70% is training. I'm walking, running, hiking and getting ready. I do have flashbacks of the pain, but that is my motivation.

Good on you! Shows what can be achieved with guts and determination. Hope your leg improves and you have a great second Camino! Love the video, appropriate song as well.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good on you! Shows what can be achieved with guts and determination. Hope your leg improves and you have a great second Camino! Love the video, appropriate song as well.
The leg is so-so, but the tendons are much better conditioned for the long walks. I still have 100 days before my flight to Europe. I think of the Camino daily and I'm putting in the long distance training to prepare.

I cannot wait for this Camino.

Inspiring to read your story. With all you've learned I believe your second camino will be a success ~ as was your first one!

Buen camino!
Here are some serious mistakes from my first Camino:
  1. My backpack weighed 32 pounds when I started. Ugh. It was 14 pounds when I finished.
  2. I only did a few hikes before starting the Camino. I had no endurance training.
  3. For the first week I never did a single stretch either before, during or after the hike. (after Burgos I stretched all the time to just keep going).
  4. I went way too fast on the first few days. Slower would have prevented most of my injuries.
Now I'm a wise pilgrim. I can do this.

The leg is so-so, but the tendons are much better conditioned for the long walks. I still have 100 days before my flight to Europe. I think of the Camino daily and I'm putting in the long distance training to prepare.

I cannot wait for this Camino.
I know the feeling. My first Camino starts in September, on my mind a lot, sooo looking forward to it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

It's great to read that you've made it through all those medical issues. Congratulations!

ad1 & ad4 - exactly what experienced pilgrims on this forum are constantly emphasizing. Very important in my opinion also.
ad2 - in combination with this results might be disastruous for eager pilgrim. Before my first Camino in 2009 I did some training and twisted my ankle 2 weeks before departure to France and made it in tears only to Logrono. I took doctors advice and returned home, in tears again because I was already hooked by Camino. On my next two Caminos I simply didn't train except for walking on the stairs. I'm so afraid of another injury during training that I rather carry less and start slow. Also I make quite long stops (but I do walk pretty fast though) to really rest my muscles. I don't do stretching as such but do some warming up my ankles and knees before continuing.

Best of luck to you this year, we're going to walk in the same period (I'll be on Camino de Levante) and surely I'll remember your post and send some good vibes up north to Camino Frances if that's the Camino you're going to walk ;)

Good advice. I am going to deliberately and consciously try to SLOW down.

Can someone comment on the stretches you have found helpful?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
  1. My backpack weighed 32 pounds when I started. Ugh. It was 14 pounds when I finished.
  2. I only did a few hikes before starting the Camino. I had no endurance training.
  3. For the first week I never did a single stretch either before, during or after the hike. (after Burgos I stretched all the time to just keep going).
  4. I went way too fast on the first few days. Slower would have prevented most of my injuries.
Dude, that's a heavy pack. ha ha
I guess you quickly found out how very little amount of stuff you need for walking the Camino during the summer.
Ain't throwing stones here. I left enough stuff at albergues to clothe a small family on my first Camino. :D
Heck, I even dumped a few things on my second one.

Good advice. I am going to deliberately and consciously try to SLOW down.

Can someone comment on the stretches you have found helpful?
For me in 2011 they were:
1 - Roncesvalles (26,7kms)
2 - Zubiri (22,2)
3 - Pamplona (20,9)
4 - Obanos (21,8)
5 - Estella (24,2)
6 - Los Arcos (21,1)
7 - Logrono (28,1) + rest day
and so on ;)
If you're moderately fit, not carrying more than approx.10 kilos and making enough resting stops (also to dry your shoes/boots/feet) I think this is completely doable without any major bad consequences on you further walk. You can also break initial stage from SJPdP to Roncesvalles into two days with staying overnight at Huntto or Orisson, especially if jetlaged. Or taking Valcarlos route which is slightly easier than Napoleon route.

Ultreia!

Thank you for your quick reply.

I was a little unclear and didn't quote the post in question.

I was wondering more about the leg/body stretches that people use to prepare for the day's hike.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I was wondering more about the leg/body stretches that people use to prepare for the day's hike.
If you do an internet search on that you will find several videos and even guides you can download or watch that show good stretching exercises and warm-ups for your legs. I would say it even helps to strengthen your upper body before you walk the Camino.

A very inspiring post and video! Thank you for sharing. By the way what is the song in the video?
Wishing you all the best on your second Camino!

Buen Camino! Davey

@Ahhhs, I have learned a lot about stretching. Tons. Heaps. Whew could I talk for hours on this topic. Here is a breakdown on what I've learned from a combination of personal experience with my injuries and multiple conversations with doctors along the Camino and professional athletes back home.

Start of Day:
The single most important thing to remember is to be warmed up before stretching. More than half the doctors and athletes told me to just walk slowly at first and don't even worry about stretching until you've completed at least 30 minutes of your walk. Others have told me to do some yoga for about 10 minutes and then stretch my hamstrings. I've been warming up with a walk and then doing stretching during the walk.

During the walk stretching:
Most back problems, knee problems and general leg problems from the Camino come from either your shins or your hamstrings. I stretch my hamstrings first and my shins after. There are several ways to stretch your hamstrings. They all involve straightening at least one leg and then bending at the waist. If you try these when you are not warmed up it could be disasterous an result in serious injury. The key is to stretch a little, hold it for 10 seconds and then straighten out your back for a few seconds before trying the same stretch again. Do this a number of times and you will get a good stretch. Just take your time. Some great examples are here: http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/5-Easy-Hamstring-Stretches-1983373?stream_view=1#photo-20673113
When it comes to stretching your shins there is one way that has worked miracles for me. I kneel down with your toes pointing behind you. Once comfortable lean back and hold for a good 20 seconds. Then sit up and relax for 10 seconds and repeat. Do this three times or more.
http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Stretch-Kneeling-Shin-Stretch-1043874

After walk stretching:
When you have completed the walk it is critical to stretch just like you are still walking. In an ideal world you would be able to complete at least 30 minutes of yoga, but that is rarely an option for most of us. To advance your stretching effectiveness you should try to get in another stretch before bed, but try to do this after a light walk around town or something else to get your muscles a little warmed up. Go really slow on your last stretch of the night. No reason to overdue it here. Your goal is just to loosen up a bit.

Different things work for different people. Experiment and find your best stretches.

Don't stop walking
Don't stop stretching
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A very inspiring post and video! Thank you for sharing. By the way what is the song in the video?
Wishing you all the best on your second Camino!

Buen Camino! Davey

Davey,

That song is called "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus back when she was a good role model for kids. haha

Bob

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you very much Stretchers.
I'm not very good at stretching before hiking.
I normally "just go".
But I will try to add these to my routine.

Buen injury-free Camino all!
Laurel

SP,
What an inspiring story! I'm in awe of your stamina and determination. Congratulations.
For stretching (and overall fitness) have you thought about yoga?

Listen to all the wonderful advise shared by all these wonderful experienced pilgrims and buy bigger shoes to allow for foot swelling. Hope you finish this time. Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for sharing your story and the photos. I just love to see other people photos and recognise the places, it brings up so many memories.

wow!! what an amazing story. Am already doing lots of long distance walking but I will definately start doing lots of stretches before & after my walks. Loved your video & music.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Davey,

That song is called "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus back when she was a good role model for kids. haha

Bob
If you are not a fan of Miley Cyrus, there is also a version of THE CLIMB on iTunes by HelenaMaria that is nice.

SP,
What an inspiring story! I'm in awe of your stamina and determination. Congratulations.
For stretching (and overall fitness) have you thought about yoga?
FooteK,
Yoga is relatively new to me, but I am finding it to be very helpful. My training routine has two days of yoga per week. Many people walk for an hour or more a day and then walk the camino like it is nothing. I've seen very fit people have horrible shin, ankle and knee problems quit after the first few days. Everyone is different but the people who do yoga seem to be indestructible. Whatever it is about yoga that makes it so good is still a mystery to me, but it works.

Bob

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
SP,
I was not a yoga fan until I started to seriously realize how out of shape I was for a Camino. I wanted to improve my balance mainly, and found yoga to be a very useful tool.
I suspect that those who have serious, Camino-ending problems with shin splints and knee problems may be people who 1) go too fast too soon at the start or 2) don't pay attention when their knees, hips, back, whatever, when those joints say "Can you take it a little bit easier, please? We need to call it a day." I think people often get caught up with keeping up with other (either actual people or people in their heads) and don't remember that their Camino has to be their Camino. This is one of the reasons I wouldn't like to walk with a group - I know I would be inclined to stay with them and walk too fast for my own good.
Also, perhaps they didn't use hiking poles.
Two days of yoga a week, with walking, sounds really good (I've got to get into my training mode - enough lazying around!!)
Maybe I'll see you on the Camino!

All I can say : I salute you ..... ♥

Like the 10% of body weight rule, the advice on stretching should be taken with a grain of salt. There has been a lot of information in the press lately that challenges the idea that it's good for you before you exercise.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/03/reasons-not-to-stretch/?_r=0

(But since most of us on the Camino are not out for "explosive muscular performance", maybe we don't have to worry).

As usual, the Mayo Clinic is a good source of info too: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/in-depth/stretching/art-20047931

I personally never stretch before walking, but I do start out walking more slowly until I work into a comfortable stride, I just think that once again, what works for me might not work for you.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Like the 10% of body weight rule, the advice on stretching should be taken with a grain of salt. There has been a lot of information in the press lately that challenges the idea that it's good for you before you exercise.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/03/reasons-not-to-stretch/?_r=0

(But since most of us on the Camino are not out for "explosive muscular performance", maybe we don't have to worry).

As usual, the Mayo Clinic is a good source of info too: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/in-depth/stretching/art-20047931

I personally never stretch before walking, but I do start out walking more slowly until I work into a comfortable stride, I just think that once again, what works for me might not work for you.

I would agree that pre-hike stretching is more likely to cause injury than to help in any way. Every expert trainer in my research advised not to stretch until you are properly warmed up. Most say it is best to stretch a little in the middle of your daily hike and save the more intense stretching for right after you complete the daily hike.

I like your post and I our links. The pilgrims always try to keep each other going. Hopefully the rest of the world will catch on to the life lessons of the Camino de Santiago.

Time to out myself as somebody that never did any stretching exercises during the 10,000 Pilgrim Kilometers I have accumulated so far. Start slowly, increase speed and distance even more slowly did the trick for me any time. Buen Camino! SY

Only a week until I head to Europe. A couple days later I will start my Camino June 5.
Have I trained enough?
Am I fit enough?
Is my pack light enough?
Did I pack too much or pack enough?​
I don't know the answers to any of these questions, but I am ready to go anyway.

I was injured bad last time (which is why I posted this topic). This time I feel more educated and prepared.

JUNE 5th 2015 ....... I'll start my second Camino. I cannot wait.

Only a week until I head to Europe. A couple days later I will start my Camino June 5.
Have I trained enough?
Am I fit enough?
Is my pack light enough?
I don't know the answers to any of these questions, but I am ready to go anyway.

I was injured bad last time (which is why I posted this topic). This time I feel more educated and prepared.

C'mon dude, you look way younger than me. You shouldn't have any problems.

C'mon dude, you look way younger than me. You shouldn't have any problems.

Mark Lee, I am 46 but look younger. When I walked the Camino last time I was with some people much younger. A guy who was 21 had horrible shin splints and had to take a cab for about half of the Camino. His brother, 21, had knee and back problems and was taking cabs or buses for about a third of the Camino. A friend who was a school teacher had to stop after Pamplona, she was only 32 years old. That said I also walked with many people in their 40's, 50's and 60's who had very little problem with any part of the Camino.

I'm as ready now as I will ever be for the Camino. 140 days of training. Lost 25 lbs and could be in the best shape since I was in my 20's. I have the usual pre-camino jitters.

Bob

Mark Lee, I am 46 but look younger. When I walked the Camino last time I was with some people much younger. A guy who was 21 had horrible shin splints and had to take a cab for about half of the Camino. His brother, 21, had knee and back problems and was taking cabs or buses for about a third of the Camino. A friend who was a school teacher had to stop after Pamplona, she was only 32 years old. That said I also walked with many people in their 40's, 50's and 60's who had very little problem with any part of the Camino.

I'm as ready now as I will ever be for the Camino. 140 days of training. Lost 25 lbs and could be in the best shape since I was in my 20's. I have the usual pre-camino jitters.

Bob
Congrats on your ability to stay youthful and I imagine losing that 25 lbs will reduce a lot of strain while walking. It's like losing a heavier than average pilgrim's pack.
On both Caminos I just took my time. In no way am I a fast walker, and I know my limitations. I'd always see people blow past me on the trail, and later on we would be at the same albergue, ha ha. Reminded me of when you are driving, and somebody will blow past you in their car and a couple of minutes later you are both stopped at the same red light. Nothing was accomplished by being in a rush. In fact, the guy driving faster actually burned and wasted more fuel for the same accomplishment.
cheers

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello,

An overuse injury is always explained by the "too far or too fast or too loaded" combination, as suggested by your points 1 and 4. Lack of training does not improve things.

I recommend you (and all non-supertrained others) to take it easy in the first week : don't do more than 100 km in total over the first 6 days, and rest on the 7th. After this "on the trail training", you will be able to increase your daily distance safely.

Not sure about stretching, as I do some of it only for my peace of mind, when I don't forget... My wife/co-pilgrim doesn't even bother with it. Certainly a good practice but would it make the difference between disaster and success ?

Last edited:
1st Camino age 64, Ferrol to Santiago my feet self destructed on day 2 outside of Ponta Dumea going down hill. No blisters just pain. Lasted for over a month. Pushed too hard and bad fitting boots. 2nd Camino age 65, Porto, Portugal to Santiago, we walked into our Camino this time. 20 K or less for 5 days then a day of rest repeating every 5 days and picking up the pace. Last 3 days we were walked 30 K a day and feeling stronger every day. Stretched and took off your feet and shoes off breaks. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

I'll add something about stretching that I learned in my teens- don't bounce. Slow and steady (15 seconds always worked for me), you shouldn't hopping, bouncing, jumping, etc during your stretches.

Have I trained enough?
Am I fit enough?
Is my pack light enough?

I just read your old thread and see that you are walking now.
I just wanted to wish you a Buen Camino.

I liked your video (although I was surprised it was miley Cyrus. ) your story is nice to read . I'm not surprised to hear about your injury, as over striding and going too fast can cause leg injuries most commonly shin splints which are the most painful to deal with.
Pack weight is a common mistake. I wish u well out there as I'm sure you are almost finished by now. I am impressed you roughed it out the first time. Very impressive

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back