• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Plenty of guide books but do I need a good map?

Darren John

Hi everyone!

I have brought myself many guide books for my upcoming france camino this August but was wondering if should buy a good map for Northern Spain? I know the way is well marked but should I buy a good map just incase?

Any help would be much appreciated

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
You will become an arrow/shell expert! My most difficult thing to do was keep a journal. & read about what lay ahead the next day, I didn't want to know I just like being supprised.

Read them all, but carry just one guide on your backpack. And certainly there's no need for a map.

In case of doubt, ask around. People there are friendly and will indicate where to go!
If my childish Spanish is not too rusty, it sounds like: "Disculpe, dónde está el Camino de Santiago?" ("Excuse me, where is the Camino de Santiago?").

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree - no map is necessary, just follow the arrows. Being somewhat familiar with the route for the day is good though, so I like to have a guidebook.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Just follow the line of people in front of you, you'll be just fine. Now, if you like to learn about a country, see where you are on a map in relation to its environment, then by all means, go for it. I have a really neat little Camino map I got at the Cathedral I think. Oops, it was Editorial Everest, but they seem to have gone bankrupt... Brierly gives you sketches of where you will walk, but no context to it. Oh no, time to be kinder to my map, it was 3 Euros well spent.

Definately, no map is necesary! I remember a while after having completed our first Camino, I realized that we had walked across Northern Spain without neither map nor guidebook! It's perfectly well marked. ( I did, however, have a list of towns and villages, so that we knew which ones we should go through the next day).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The only difficult parts are in cities, where after several days in nature, hamlets and villages, the pilgrim often becomes a rubbernecking tourist gawking at traffic, interesting buildings, store windows, and people who don't look like ragpickers with a backpack. In town it is very easy to miss a turn or to wander off in the wrong direction-take care. You will also hear stories of those who rise before dawn and rush off and out on the Camino, miss an arrow, and finish the day with an extra 5-10 kilometers. Do know which general direction you should be going and check the direction other people are progressing or look for reassuring signs, arrows, and shells. Many of our Teutonic brethren and indeed the French are intrigued by topography; they may carry maps showing the elevation of every kilometer and can go quite bonkers about unforeseen rises or descents. Maps are fun but not needed.

You are very unlikely to lose your way for long on the Camino Frances. I do like to know what lies just beyond those hills or forests though. I also like to have street maps when exploring the larger towns I visit. If you carry a smartphone or tablet I would recommend an app which will display Open Street Maps and Open Cycle Maps. Open Cycle Maps is excellent because it will display very detailed topographic maps - handy for visualising your route. There is a free app with the unlikely name of "Soviet Military Maps" which allows you to switch very quickly between maps from Google, Bing, Open Street Map and Open Cycle Map as well as very out-of-date Russian cartography!

Hi everyone!

I have brought myself many guide books for my upcoming france camino this August but was wondering if should buy a good map for Northern Spain? I know the way is well marked but should I buy a good map just incase?

Any help would be much appreciated
Hi Darren , you don"t need a map . Just a guide book will do , it's good to know what you can expect the next day .
Wish you a Buen Camino ,Peter .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Street maps of larger towns can be had, free of charge at the local tourist office.

You definitely don't need a map to find your way!
I don't find the weight of a full-fledged guidebook worth carrying, there are plenty to go around of them on the camino.
Unless you want to take every step while reading/following a map or guidebook, chances are you will take a wrong turn somewhere and have to walk back for 20minutes or so.
That's part of the camino and when it happens it happens.

That being said....
I wouldn't like to leave without my trusted "pili pala press"-map.
It's nice to be able to see how far the next town is if you're in doubt of stopping or continuing, or to see what facilities are available in that town (bar's, restaurants, drug-stores, ATM's, etc)
An ultra-minimal guidebook i would call it. Just the bare basics.

They don't make or sell them any more but a book store or Ebay may help out

Last edited:
The maps in the guidebooks are usually good enough to give you an idea of the distance you're walking and where you are. You probably do not need anything else.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back