• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dealingwith the heat

sunnysmiles

Time of past OR future Camino
This is my first Camino staring in STP July < 2015 >
Hi everybody
I'll be staring out at SJPP next week and the weather looks like it will be around 35 celcius around then....Anyone got any tips for dealing with the heat( a first timer)?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Take a bandana to wear around your neck or head, and wet it with cold water as often as you can. You will be amazed at its refreshing qualities. Also, you might consider taking an umbrella with UV protection; this will lower the temperature by several degrees. Buen Camino :)
Bandana sounds like a good idea :) will be packing one of those!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bring a high factor sun block. I didn't and although I was well covered up the backs of my hands were sunburnt by the time I reached Pamplona and found a chemists to buy some.

We always find an ice block, not ice cream or a very cold bottle of water mid afternoon brings down our core temperature.

Bandana sounds like a good idea :) will be packing one of those!
Buy a red bandana, they say you should enter Pamplona wearing a red bandana. I had an old red bandana which I use for walking and I brought it on my Camino. A spanish pilgrim remarked on it and told me about the Pamplona thing so I wore it in. I also soaked it in water during hot days and tied it around my neck to keep cool as Icacos said. Its also good on wet days to stop water running down your collar.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Northern Spain can get warm during the summer, but it's far from a brutal heat, and like the expression goes, its a dry heat. Far warmer places in the world that time of year and far more humid and warm places.
Nonetheless, if you really try hard enough and work at it, you can become a heat casualty while walking the Camino Frances during the summertime.
Probably the most important thing is hydration, and you got to drink water regularly. Nothing else will do. If your are not urinating regularly and your urine is not clear, you are dehydrated. Also remember that coffee is a diuretic and can cause you to be dehydrated. For every cup of cafe con leche you drink, you need to drink a 1/2 liter of water. I started every morning by drinking 1/2 to 1 liter of water before I even left the albergue.
Lightweight, breathable, quick drying clothing helps. The type of tech clothing made just for outdoor activities and wear a good hat that protects you from the sun and use sunscreen. Also wear a good pair of sunglasses.
Start walking at sunrise (really no need to walk in the dark..why?) take breaks and try not to walk past about 3:00 pm as it seems to be the hottest time of the day.

Hi everybody
I'll be staring out at SJPP next week and the weather looks like it will be around 35 celcius around then....Anyone got any tips for dealing with the heat( a first timer)?
Hi , as stated start early , take enough wather with you , wear a hat and don't walk to fast and keep the day's shorter .
Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Let me think??? Which country invented the siesta? And why?? Oh, yeah now I remember! Not a good idea actually since a nap in the heat and no water is not refreshing. The reboot is very difficult and the next hour will be one to forget. Follow the advice above and you will be fine.

Because it's a lot cooler walking in the dark, rather than doing that last 4km at 2:00pm and you get to enjoy the whole show of the sunrise on the trail. ;)
Yeah, but you are walking in the dark? You miss a lot of the sights walking in the dark. I did it two or three times on my first Camino before I realized how silly it was. Once, on the meseta stretch I could see a long string of flashlight beams behind me. Like a bunch small cars driving at night. It was the participants in the albergue race. I decided then no more night walking for me. Sure, I'd wake up when it was still dark, but I'd wait until those first few rays of light would peek over the horizon and then I would get to stepping.

Umbrella.
Small packets of Electrolytes that can instantly be dissolved in tour water bottle ( plain water, although is hyper important, is not enough when you are walking in the type of heat you might experience).
Cover up as much as possible Long sleeves and possibly long pants.
A hat.
#50 sun protection cream on face, neck ( if you forgot to protect your neck - ouch) and hands.
Walk shorter days, especially on the Meseta.
Start early.

Hi everybody

Cover up, simple as that, collared long sleeve shirt, trousers, and a good sun hat. Look at farm workers anywhere in the world, they are all covered up and stay cooler than someone with a tank top and shorts, having your skin exposed to the sun like that sucks the life out of you and also dehydrates you a lot faster than you think.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yeah, but you are walking in the dark? You miss a lot of the sights walking in the dark. I did it two or three times on my first Camino before I realized how silly it was. Once, on the meseta stretch I could see a long string of flashlight beams behind me. Like a bunch small cars driving at night. It was the participants in the albergue race. I decided then no more night walking for me. Sure, I'd wake up when it was still dark, but I'd wait until those first few rays of light would peek over the horizon and then I would get to stepping.
I'm glad that worked for you but the OP asked how to beat the heat. Outside of the forest coverage, I found walking by moonlight to be fairly easy. Also, at the top of that climb out of Castrojeriz, I thought the view back at the string of torchlights was nearly as cool as the sunrise moments later.

I start 24th of august in Porto and if the weather will be like it is here at moment in Belgium...heatwave and very humid till 40 degrees Celsius I will have to start early too and do shorter stages, might even have to take transport....First summer Camino for me...
Normally I start around 8 or 8.30 but will make this now two hours earlier....

.........walking by moonlight ............
Oh, I dream of walking on the Meseta at night, or anywhere for that matter, under a full moon. There was a full moon when I was at Villar de Mazarife, but it was rainy, cloudy and cold then, otherwise I swear I would have gone out and walked under that moon.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buy a red bandana, they say you should enter Pamplona wearing a red bandana......
If you have an old red bandana, as @wayfarer said he had, that's great. But if you buy a new one, be sure to wash it a few times before you wear it. In my limited experience, the dye on these bandanas is not colour fast, and you wouldn't want to wear your bandana, wet and sweaty, with the red dye leaching all down your shirt as you trek into Pamplona. People might worry that you'd been gored by a bull. :eek:

I'm on Camino de Levante right now,one day short of Toledo. In 40's℃and more as we're dealing with now, nothing is really gonna help. On 25km stretch with average pace 5km/h you will need at least 0,5l of water per hour=5 km. To survive without kidney problems. But liquid has its weight also. And if you have no means of replenish your supplies on that 25km stretch, than - good luck. Because everything depends on how your body react to dehydrition. When you have to carry all this water it adds to the weight you're carrying which again means more water your body wants. Where's the limit?

For example... I walked up to 25kms with almost no shade in last two days, have drinked more than 20l of liquid and was only off to take a leak 3 times per day.

Not very healthy I'd say. But Camino Frances with its many stops is different I guess....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everybody
Tincatinker said it all. I would also recommend early starts and finishes and shorter distances. A wet bandana is nice but I use a tubular neck wrap that has something that retains water sown in it. When put in water it swells up and I put it around my neck, helps me stay cooler all day. Push the fluids (WATER) even when not thirsty. Avoid alcohol and caffeine until you're done walking for the day. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Thanks everybody for the great advice.I will bring plenty of water ,factor 50 ,long sleeves and good hats.Seems like carrying plenty of water is a must.Also I'll get some of those hydration sachets.I'm hoping to start early and take it slow.
Thanks everybody

Think about staying the night in Orisson instead of walking all the way to Roncesvalles.
(Then you would have to make a reservation!)

If you go over the mountain (instead of going through the valley over Valcarlos) it might not FEEL that hot because of the altitude, but your body still gets the beating of the sun all the same.
It's an exhausting day, no shade to speak of AND not that many places to fill up your bottle.

35 Degrees? Ask anybody.... Don't underestimate that first day

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Think about staying the night in Orisson instead of walking all the way to Roncesvalles.
(Then you would have to make a reservation!)

If you go over the mountain (instead of going through the valley over Valcarlos) it might not FEEL that hot because of the altitude, but your body still gets the beating of the sun all the same.
It's an exhausting day, no shade to speak of AND not that many places to fill up your bottle.

35 Degrees? Ask anybody.... Don't underestimate that first day
Hi MatinZ. Yeah I thought about booking Orisson.It looks like a lovley place to stop off at for the first night

Orisson is not a village, I wouldn't even call it a hamlet, there's just that one Albergue/bar/restaurant-thingy so not much to do.
But a beautiful location with a great view. Watch the already flabbergasted pilgrims walk by and brighten their walk with a friendly talk! :)

There is no supermarket or anything in Orisson (the Albergue has breakfast), I would stock up on food and aquarius or whatever in SJPP for the day after Orisson.
(Roncevalles also has no stores but at least the Albergue has a fine selection of vending machines)

Last edited:
When out in strong direct sun do cover the back of your neck if you are liable to burn. I am a pale-skinned northerner. My first Camino almost ended near Leon because of severe sunburn which left me with a neck like roast pork and a open oozing horizontal crack in the skin very nearly from ear to ear. I'm setting off on the Via Francigena very soon and I'm thinking of buying a Foreign Legion kepi on the way...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
... I started every morning by drinking 1/2 to 1 liter of water before I even left the albergue.
Whilst obviously this is important during the hot season, many many times in this forum I've noted the advice to have a good 'glug' of water first thing in the morning (regardless of the day's temperature) before starting your day's walk.
Buen Camino
Suzanne :)

Last edited:
Yeah, but you are walking in the dark? You miss a lot of the sights walking in the dark. I did it two or three times on my first Camino before I realized how silly it was....I decided then no more night walking for me. Sure, I'd wake up when it was still dark, but I'd wait until those first few rays of light would peek over the horizon and then I would get to stepping.
BUT.... In several postings I've also seen the advice to try at least ONCE to night walk because (weather permitting) it is fabulous to walk under the stars. I've no idea what the Spanish night sky is like, but having walked under the night sky in Chad & Switzerland, I could SO recommend it!

On the Meseta, clear skys and no moon.... I saw the night-sky in National Geographic style!

When you get tired take fruit or dried fruit. Do not eat salt or salty foods during the day.

From my own experience, I would disagree.

When you get hot, you sweat a lot, and you need to replace these salts. If you just drink loads of water without replacing salts, its not enough. I found that out the hard way in the Cantabrian mountains many years ago. I'd drunk lots of water but still felt dreadful, nauseous, vomited, went cold and felt disorientated. I later read that too much water can be as dangerous as too little sometimes.

When my children were small, I was told by my doctor, that a good cheap rehydration fluid could be made by adding a pinch of table salt and a teaspoon of sugar to a glass of water. It definitely does not contain all the salts you need to replace, but it leaves you feeling so much better that you can then eat a proper meal and get the other salts you need from your food.

We used to walk in the mountains of Oman in the Middle East quite frequently, with temps in the mid to high 30s in the afternoon. For lunch, we always started with a small bottle of very sweet fruit juice, followed by a bag of crisps. Never got dehydrated on any of these walks. A couple of weeks ago, I walked 32 km (more than I had intended) to Cee. It was warm but overcast to begin with, then the sun came out later. I had a bag of unsalted nuts and raisins for lunch, along with some chocolate. On arrival in Cee, I started to feel nauseous and cold. I lay on my bunk for a short while, feeling miserable. Thankfully, I suddenly realised that I was dehydrated. A mug of water+salt+sugar tasted wonderful, so I had a second and within 10 mins I was fully recovered.

Hi I walked St Jean to Estella the start of this month and the temps were late 20's. For me that's very hot, pale Irish skin that doesn't tan but burns and if I'm lucky I get another new freckle for my troubles. What we did was start leaving at 6am it just meant arriving at our destination of choice by 2 or 3. I wore a hat, an under armour baseball style one that was designed to not make you sweat, I found it good, kept my shoulders covered (carrying a pack on Sun burnt shoulders didn't appeal), carried two 750ml water bottles In either side of the pack and filled them along the way as they ran out. The distance travelled in the heat took ten times longer than what we would have covered prior to the sun coming up. If you can get sun repelling shorts I had a pair made by Columbia I think and at least they kept me cool. I had the misfortune of wearing cotton 3 quarter lengths the first day and let's just say I feel like I had enough chaffing for everyone walking the camino, not good!!!
Anyhow as I write this I'm longing to return, my friend Anny crossed the finish line yesterday and Larrs and Gitte tomorrow I met them day one and walked to Estella with them. Oh how I wish I could have walked to the end with them. Some Day!
P.s I don't think you loose out setting off at 6am it's not entirely dark you can see around you and by 6:30 it's bright.
Buen Camino
Rita

Hi everybody

Some good advice above sunnysmiles.

May I add, remember that each day you will be walking west. The sun will be behind you (hope so anyway). The back of your legs, behind your ears and your neck will need extra protection from the sun. Some stretches of the Way reflect the bright light back into your face, so sunglasses can be very useful in protecting your eyes.

Your feet will most likely serve you well if you consider taking your boots/shoes and socks off every couple of hours/8kms/5 miles or so for about 15 minutes. Not only does that help prevent blisters, it also lets your toes see where you are.

Buen(safe walking in the sun) Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
BUT.... In several postings I've also seen the advice to try at least ONCE to night walk because (weather permitting) it is fabulous to walk under the stars. I've no idea what the Spanish night sky is like, but having walked under the night sky in Chad & Switzerland, I could SO recommend it!
Done a few night walks in the woods myself in the past, and yeah, that would be a cool thing to do at certain locations on the Camino Frances on clear starry nights. The more flat sections away from the highways and perhaps not on the more hilly sections where you risk busting your arse or injuring an ankle or leg. It would have to be a section where you aren't spending the whole time looking at the ground avoiding holes or loose rocks, etc. That would be counterproductive of enjoying the stars and the scenery.
I just never woke up early enough on the Camino to do it. I'd still be snoozing at 3:00 am, ha ha.

If you can get sun repelling shorts I had a pair made by Columbia I think and at least they kept me cool. I had the misfortune of wearing cotton 3 quarter lengths the first day and let's just say I feel like I had enough chaffing for everyone walking the camino said:
Chafing can be a serious problem in hot weather - especially if like me you are overweight. Far worse than blisters in my experience. Salty sweat in cotton underwear can be very abrasive - especially along seams and hems. Used to be a major problem for me. I now wear very thin lycra cycling shorts (without the chamois pads) which reach well down the thighs. Skin-tight fit means that there are fewer areas where skin rubs against skin. The material also wicks away moisture quickly. Smearing vaseline on problem areas also helps.

I do not want to give medical opinions...it is important to know your own body's reaction to heat. You can, and I have, washed all the salts out of my body by drinking too much water without consuming adequate salts. I now carry and consume salty nuts, chocolate, dried fruits and saltines (yes, I know, saltines). My doctor added the saltines so I would be consuming both salt and carbs. Everyone has different needs. I do encouage you to wear a hat or a visor with a bandana. Much to my "I never burn" surprise you can get skin cancer on you scalp under all that hair. It is hot here right now. Figeac was in high 30's and Bordeaux hit 41. Have a good walk...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Another thought about the wisdom of covering up while walking in excessive heat: we lived many years in the Middle East, both Syria and Egypt, where most people tend to wear "long robes" and I did too! It was far more comfortable, especially when the temperature soared.
We have just returned from the Camino Portugues and we walked many days in over 30 deg temperatures. I walked in long pants and long sleeved shirt ( both UV protection). My body stayed fresh to touch, even although the temperature seemed unbearable sometimes. I also used a UV umbrella, wore a hat ( I hate wearing hats), added electrolytes to my water bottle and wrapped my old faithful Arabic "keffiyeh" around my neck. Several times, people would ask me if I was too hot all dressed up. I simply invited them to touch my arm. " WOW, it's fresh", they would invariably say!

From my own experience, I would disagree.

When you get hot, you sweat a lot, and you need to replace these salts. If you just drink loads of water without replacing salts, its not enough. I found that out the hard way in the Cantabrian mountains many years ago. I'd drunk lots of water but still felt dreadful, nauseous, vomited, went cold and felt disorientated. I later read that too much water can be as dangerous as too little sometimes.

When my children were small, I was told by my doctor, that a good cheap rehydration fluid could be made by adding a pinch of table salt and a teaspoon of sugar to a glass of water. It definitely does not contain all the salts you need to replace, but it leaves you feeling so much better that you can then eat a proper meal and get the other salts you need from your food.

We used to walk in the mountains of Oman in the Middle East quite frequently, with temps in the mid to high 30s in the afternoon. For lunch, we always started with a small bottle of very sweet fruit juice, followed by a bag of crisps. Never got dehydrated on any of these walks. A couple of weeks ago, I walked 32 km (more than I had intended) to Cee. It was warm but overcast to begin with, then the sun came out later. I had a bag of unsalted nuts and raisins for lunch, along with some chocolate. On arrival in Cee, I started to feel nauseous and cold. I lay on my bunk for a short while, feeling miserable. Thankfully, I suddenly realised that I was dehydrated. A mug of water+salt+sugar tasted wonderful, so I had a second and within 10 mins I was fully recovered.

I thought the same as you when I walked the Via de la Plata at the end of July 2011. The temperature in Extremadura averaged 44 degrees. I always carried 3 litres of water every day for a walk of 20-25 kilometres. I also only carried 4 kgs in a 25ltre pack (without the water). One day I took a small packet of peanuts (40grams) and I almost died from dehydration. Fortunately I got to the Albergue and was given two cans of beer. it only helped a little. I learned that salt was indeed very important and should be taken in the evenings when the temperature had dropped to the mid thirties.

"...I realized how silly it was."

Silly? We loved leaving just before the sun rises. The dark has its own sights, sounds and smells that should be appreciated. Being out on the trail as the sun begins to rise behind you, watching the changing the colors of the world right there in front of you is magical. The many shades of pinks and purples slowly painting the landscape, shadows becoming light, trees becoming distinguishable against the lightening sky, birds beginning to sing and fly about, and before your very eyes the sky turns an amazing robin's egg blue and your long shadow begins to lead you down the trail? Okay, call me silly. Sometimes I skip, so I guess it must be true.

"...I realized how silly it was."

Silly? We loved leaving just before the sun rises. The dark has its own sights, sounds and smells that should be appreciated. Being out on the trail as the sun begins to rise behind you, watching the changing the colors of the world right there in front of you is magical. The many shades of pinks and purples slowly painting the landscape, shadows becoming light, trees becoming distinguishable against the lightening sky, birds beginning to sing and fly about, and before your very eyes the sky turns an amazing robin's egg blue and your long shadow begins to lead you down the trail? Okay, call me silly. Sometimes I skip, so I guess it must be true.
...and people will still swear you only walk early in order to get the bottom bunk next to the window!

€83,-
Agree to all. But nobody mentioned a shawl: for me a hat (a special one at that) was too hot and I took it off to replace with a shawl loosely thrown over the head, face (see through a bit, still found my way myself), neck, shoulders, arms, all to the fingertips. Had to tie some knots to keep it that way. If there was even a little wind, it got under the shawl and cooled me off.

A mug of water+salt+sugar tasted wonderful, so I had a second and within 10 mins I was fully recovered.

This is exactly right! If salt tastes wonderful then you need it. If it tastes horrid you don't!! In the Argentine chaco (temperature up to 50c) our children would happily lick salt from the palm of their hand, No danger of them taking too much; they stopped when they no longer liked the taste.
Salt, sugar and bananas (platanas) + lots of water will give you most of what you need to stay hydrated.

Stay healthy
Tio Tel

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi everybody
Make sure you put sunscreen on the back of your legs if your wearing shorts. As you're walking west I found the sun was always at my back so might save you a painful afterthought.

€83,-
I've been walking from SJPdP since last Wednesday (Orisson very wise advice!) and the heat has been very difficult (and I'm from sweaty D.C!) I joined up with a small group that began leaving very early, like 4am, which I thought was insane but have quickly come to appreciate avoiding the extreme heat. Honestly, we're sleeping very little anyway because of the heat (and snorers!) so rather than sit there sweating in bed with eyes open, we walk. Our shaded trek in cooler temps to San Juan de Ortega today was wonderful relief. Actually needed a fleece for the first time. So...I agree with the recommendation of starting early ( and hydrating, of course!)

This article sheds a bit of light on where the hot spots are currently in Spain.

http://murciatoday.com/heatwave-returns-to-murcia-after-brief-respite_26497-a.html#.VZfs92K9KSM

My read on this, is that it is hot in the basque region as you cross the Pyrenees but more seasonable going further west along the camino. (keeping in mind it is now July and the Meseta is seasonably warm anyway)

And obviously those walking the more southern routes like the VdlP, etc should expect higher than seasonable temperatures too.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi everybody

Take more then enough water with you. To keep your head and body cool just soak a kitchen cloth (pref of cotton) in water and put it on you neck. Keep a hat on! Use sundcreen! And........
Buen Camino!

Lots of great advice. We walked from SJPP in very hot August temperatures two years ago. We were very thankful that we had booked the stop at Orisson. In addition to the heat it was very windy which is exhausting and dehydrating as well. (I am 6' 3" tall and battled against being blown sideways a number of times. I wonder if some shorter pilgrims went missing as a result of being blown away!) We used electrolyte tablets in our water bottles at half strength, wore hats, and also had buffs that we could soak in water and put on our heads (or neck/wrists) for some added cooling. I think the advice to drink a lot of water before starting your day is very wise. My husband insisted that we do that each day. I have a difficult time getting it down first thing in the morning so I really had to force myself, but it is better to start the day hydrated rather than try to play catch up later. Despite drinking (water!) constantly, we did not have to urinate as often as we should have!

In Burgos now. I find that drenching my head and long sleeves at public fountains along the Camino very refreshing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi everybody
yes enjoy it..I love the heat I guess cause I have Mediterranean blood in me.

Hi everybody
I agree with the early start; the birds and roosters are great before sunrise. Salt supplement is helpful along with all the water. Broad-brimmed hats with ties are great.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everybody
Protect the lips if possible with a high sun factor. The very freguent use of a water bottle can irritate "burnt" lips and cause infection. I had that problem. Pray for cloud cover and shade

It doesn't reach max temperature til 4 or 5 at night and stays hot til fairly late. Get started early is your best bet to avoid the max heat in the first place.

I've been walking from SJPdP since last Wednesday (Orisson very wise advice!) and the heat has been very difficult (and I'm from sweaty D.C!) I joined up with a small group that began leaving very early, like 4am, which I thought was insane but have quickly come to appreciate avoiding the extreme heat. Honestly, we're sleeping very little anyway because of the heat (and snorers!) so rather than sit there sweating in bed with eyes open, we walk. Our shaded trek in cooler temps to San Juan de Ortega today was wonderful relief. Actually needed a fleece for the first time. So...I agree with the recommendation of starting early ( and hydrating, of course!)
Hola!

And what do you do after the walk, let's say from 11AM to 10PM if I may ask? Sorry but can't imagine either naps, drinking, sight-seeing or eating or all of these together every single day to SdC...:confused:

Take more then enough water with you. To keep your head and body cool just soak a kitchen cloth (pref of cotton) in water and put it on you neck. Keep a hat on! Use sundcreen! And........
Buen Camino!
If you wear your bandana, silk scarf etc. With your hat/cap over it and drink enough water it will be wet in no time. All the time :p

Hola!

And what do you do after the walk, let's say from 11AM to 10PM if I may ask? Sorry but can't imagine either naps, drinking, sight-seeing or eating or all of these together every single day to SdC...:confused:
Once we arrive (typically about 12) if the alburgue is open we check in, shower, hand wash that day's clothes, get lunch, then nap! If I don't nap I just hang out in the town square, mingle with pilgrims, or stroll around bigger cities. Journaling and planning the next day takes some time, and mass if it's available. The afternoons tick by quickly, and if they don't, it's quite a gift to have nothing to do! Buen Camino!

I am in Tardajos this evening and it's fabulously warm. This is the hottest Camino for me so far with temperatures up to 34. Not quite as warm as Hong Kong as humidity is so low. Some pilgrims have appeared to have been suffering with the heat a bit though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola!

And what do you do after the walk, let's sayCamino's. 1AM to 10PM if I may ask? Sorry but can't imagine either naps, drinking, sight-seeing or eating or all of these together every single day to SdC...:confused:

You have a great point here. The Camino has been really quiet post 11am, and not like other July Caminos

4:00 am! dang that's early.....
not for me, baby....lived too long on early schedules in the real world

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.