• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Birkenstocks - now in plastic!

A

Anemone del Camino

Just saw the newest addition to the Birkenstock family of sandals and clogs with good support: their upcoming EVA models. Super, super light, all plastic, so can be taken to the shower, and with the same foot support. In Canada they will sell for around 50$. An alternative to Crocs for those who don't find they have enough support. http://www.birkenstock.com/press-en-archives.htm?id=36

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Looks interesting. Although might walking in plastic shoes create sweaty feet (which could be a precursor for blisters)?
Suzanne :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Looks interesting. Although might walking in plastic shoes create sweaty feet (which could be a precursor for blisters)?

Hi Suzanne, considering these sandals are just the base and a strap your feet will get a lot of ventilation. I would not consider these shoes for day time hike but rather shower and evening shoes for walking around towns and villages.

This being said, a few years ago Crocs had a sandal modeled after the old wood and leather Dr Schols' sandals and I walked in them for 2 days - after I banned my boots from ever being in contact with my feet again ;0). I wore then until I bought another pair of sandals, but this time they were hiking sandals, similar to Tevas: plastic sole with velcro staps. These were fantastic. Wore then with socks during the day. The Crocs were not as stable as the Birkies, certainly didn't have the orthotic type of support that's built into the Birkies, and yet they felt like heaven, even on the trail. But they are bulkier than the Birkies, and my pair has since been put to pasture after having been of service to me for 2 good summers.

Nice! Thanks for sharing - these would be a good alternative to flip flops which sometimes don't seem to dry very well.
Faith
They will be available in Montreal in mid-April. Will report back post purchase and use for a couple of days. So far I have only tried the demo in the shop.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Anemone del Camino , how did you get on with the Eva Birkenstocks? I have just seen them and am tempted. Looks like they would be good for my poor PF-ridden feet at the end of the day.
HI Nidarosa,

Loved my plastic (EVA) Birkies. They certainly don't have the stifness of the corck ones but they serbed me perfectly as they have decent suppot (much more than Crocs for sure), are super light, not super bulky and non- slip. I hope you like them as much as I did if you give them a try.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Anniesantiago - I would think so. Great for shower duty, pottering about without needing to fasten velcro or have a toe post near your toes and they seem kind enough to my feet walking on tile and hard floor during the day even now, when my Plantar fasciitis is being a bit naughty. I have always fantasized about having three pairs: shoes/boots, Teva spares and something ultralight to go to the loo in in the night or just plod about. With the weight saving from my Terra Fi Lites I can actually consider it ... if I didn't have PF I wouldn't but it can ruin a walk. I also get much worse if I walk barefoot on hard floor but now I don't move without them!

YES! I definiately want a pair. I live in Birkenstocks all year round and they will certainly come in useful. Pity I didn't have, nor know about this new model when we walked last month!

YES! I definiately want a pair. I live in Birkenstocks all year round and they will certainly come in useful. Pity I didn't have, nor know about this new model when we walked last month!
Annakappa, if it's any consolation, when I bought my pair they were inly available in the Madrid model, now they have 2 or 3 new ones.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just bought one of the new models, with double straps across the top, thanks to the information in this thread.

Annakappa, if it's any consolation, when I bought my pair they were inly available in the Madrid model, now they have 2 or 3 new ones.
Today for the info! In any case, for me, it's not as simple as that. I have to find a willing person to bring me them in from abroad! But... It will be done!

Soooo... they work well for afternoon touristing?
They appear to come in three types @Anniesantiago : Gizeh has toe thong; Arizona has two straps; Madrid has one strap.
Whilst the Fashion Police might arrest you, the Arizona two strap shoe with socks could be comfortable enough for afternoon meandering. Without socks, I would imagine a plastic shoe could get too sweaty & induce blisters?

P.S. Amazon.com appear to be doing a 60% discount on items including these

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oooeee, now these look very interesting. I've long wanted to reduce the weight of my secondary footwear. I took North Face walking sandles in 2009 and loved them, but the weight was a bugger at about 550 grams for the pair I just can't justify that again. In 2013 I took Skechers: lightweight at 22o grams for the pair, but looked a tad dorky with any kind of sock, even the micro cuts from Smartwool.

Canada peregrinas, are these Birkis best to buy on line and if so, can you offer site suggestions. I would likely go with the double strap "Arizona" style. Also would it be best to size up? I noticed that the product description on Amazon says they run small, but many reviewers are saying contrary, and that they are true to size.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Madrids in my normal shoe size. Perhaps because of the structure of the shoe I do not slip around in them, even barefoot, unlike in Crocs. Perfect from shower to evening touring the Camino hamlets, towns and cities.

Oooeee, now these look very interesting. I've long wanted to reduce the weight of my secondary footware. I took North Face walking sandles in 2009 and loved them, but the weight was a bugger at about 550 grams for the pair I just can't justify that again. In 2013 I took skechers: lightweight at 22o the pair, but looked a tad dorky with any kind of sock, even the micro cuts from Smartwool.

Canada peregrinas, are these Birkis best to buy on line and if so, can you offer site suggestions. I would likely go with the double strap "Arizona" style. Also would it be best to size up? I noticed that the product description of on Amazon says they run small, but many reviewers are saying contrary, and that they are true to zise.

Sheesh:
I live in Calgary and bought a pair of the Arizona style plastic Birkenstock sandals at my local Birkenstock store yesterday. I suspect that it was not a wise purchase. They are very light, attractive (rather dressy on) the footbed is the right size and very comfortable. BUT the strap closest to my toes is too short when fastened in the longest hole and the design appears to not allow for adding additional holes. By the time I had worn them home, 10 blocks or so, I had lost a layer of skin on my right foot. With socks for cushioning, they are even tighter. I do not know if they will stretch at all. I am thinking of taking them back to the store and asking if an additional hole can be inserted. If you want to buy a pair and are already familiar with how Birkenstocks fit and wear, go to your local store and try them on and walk in them a bit. I would not recommend purchasing them on-line.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Love love love my EVA burks and as soon as I put them on I knew they would be my second pair of shoes to carry for the camino . I have not done a really long walk in them but have done about 5 km. I am excited to be able to slip them on to give myself a break from the trail runners.

Just saw the newest addition to the Birkenstock family of sandals and clogs with good support: their upcoming EVA models. Super, super light, all plastic, so can be taken to the shower, and with the same foot support. In Canada they will sell for around 50$. An alternative to Crocs for those who don't find they have enough support. http://www.birkenstock.com/press-en-archives.htm?id=36

Thanks for posting this! They weigh the same as cheap flip flops and are so much more substantial for arch support, etc. I got a pair today. Thanks again!

Perfect! Have been searching for that 'Goldilocks' of sandals to take with me & this looks like it. Many thanks for posting.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.