• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Australian Travel Insurance

athenaanne

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2015
Hi fellow Antipodeans,

I'm beginning my first Camino (French way) on June 13th and am currently looking for a good travel/health insurance.
I'm wondering whether anyone has any suggestions for one they've used in the past that covers such a long stretch of walking? I'm looked at World Nomads but they appear to have a limit of 6000metres of hiking.
FYI. I'm 22, with no prior/current health issues.

Thanks so much in advance! :):)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I won't offer a product recommendation, but I understand your dilemma. Like you, I have found it important to compare products based on the fine print, particularly relating to which of my medical conditions they exclude from cover. Such is the joy of getting old. I quickly developed a short list of only a couple of products that didn't exclude something I needed covered, when the choice became relatively simple.

BTW, I had a quick look at the World Nomads site, and the 6000m is the elevation restriction, not a distance restriction. Their standard conditions appear to cover up to elevations of 2000m, more than sufficient for the Camino, where the maximum elevation will be around 1500m (someone might be tempted to be more exact here!!)

Hi Doug - thanks for your response! I can't believe I misinterpreted the elevation for metres... I thought it seemed strange!
I'll definitely just have to sit down and compare, compare, compare...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
2014 I used the one promoted in the Aust. Post Office. Just took the health option as I do not take anything of significant value. Also being 70 the range of companies willing to provide cover is very limited.
Regds
Gerard

Thanks, Gerard. I'll definitely look into the Aust Post insurance. I have an overseas debit card with them and it's been a good experience in the past.

I've gone with onecover for my last 5 overseas trips. They're a decent price and the one time I've ever had to claim with them they've been no problem at all.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the info!
I was planning on going with them after comparing them with a few other companies, and they seem pretty reliable.
You've clinched it! Thanks :)

Hi fellow Antipodeans,

I'm beginning my first Camino (French way) on June 13th and am currently looking for a good travel/health insurance.
I'm wondering whether anyone has any suggestions for one they've used in the past that covers such a long stretch of walking? I'm looked at World Nomads but they appear to have a limit of 6000metres of hiking.
FYI. I'm 22, with no prior/current health issues.

Thanks so much in advance! :):)

I would ask if walking in the countryside is considered hiking. The Bibbulmun track is a hike. The camino is not a hike.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would ask if walking in the countryside is considered hiking. The Bibbulmun track is a hike. The camino is not a hike.
Really. This is one definition of the verb hike: walk for a long distance, especially across country. Sounds pretty much like the camino to me.

Last edited:
Really. This is one definition of the verb hike: walk for a long distance, especially across country. Sound pretty much like the camino to me.
And you can bet it's the one insurers will go for.

I'm wondering whether anyone has any suggestions for one they've used in the past that covers such a long stretch of walking? FYI. I'm 22, with no prior/current health issues.
Thank you for raising this. I'm awed that a 22yo with no health issues is asking. Simply never occurred to me that a camino might be classed along with white water rafting and the like.

Of course one should always read the fine print. But the internet makes you so enured to pressing the 'accept all T & C' button without bothering when it's take it or leave it.

Last edited:
Really. This is one definition of the verb hike: walk for a long distance, especially across country. Sounds pretty much like the camino to me.

"especially across country". Thats not camino; camino is on road or otherwise improved surfaces, not route bashing across country, and thus is a 'walk'.

I would ask at the insurance office.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all, I got travel insurance through NRMA - I told them I'm walking the camino and they had no problem. It wasn't super expensive either. Leaving in 2 days (yay!!!!) and hoping I won't need to use the insurance.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back