Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How busy is the primitivo in July/August?

SolvorMLauritzen

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk the primitivo (2015)
Hello! I have walked three Caminos before, and love it! But on the last one I did I spent several days and night all alone on the road and in the albergues - and I didn't like it. This year I am planning to walk the primitivo in end of July -beginning of August, and am wondering if anyone here has any idea of whether there will be many other pilegrims on the road during that time? I don't mind if it is too busy - I prefer having people around...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Busy, very busy, it is the Spanish holiday time. If you have a chance, to wait till the end of August, it will be a lot more manageable.

Busy, very busy, it is the Spanish holiday time. If you have a chance, to wait till the end of August, it will be a lot more manageable.
The Primitivo "very, very buzy"? I guess it's all relative. How many people have walked it last year?

What Camino was walked in 2013: as per: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/2013-statistics-for-the-camino-de-santiago/

• Camino Frances: 151.761 (70,30%)
  • Camino Portugues 29.550 (13,69%)
  • Camino del Norte 13.393 (6,20%)
  • Via de la Plata 9.016 (4,18%)
  • Camino Primitivo 6.854 (3,17%)
  • Camino Ingles 4.404 (2,04%)
  • Muxia-Finisterre 454 (0,21%)
  • Other Caminos 444 (0,21%)
What I do not believe here is those who have walked Muxia-Fisterre. Mind you, perhaps they mean only from Muxia to Fisterre, but even that is low.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'll be on it on July 19th (or thereabouts) I've met several people who walked it that time of year and they said it was quiet.

Expect quite a lot of people in late July and all of August! When I say "a lot" I mean in comparison to the rest of the year in the Primitivo, of course, not in comparison to the numbers in the Frances...

I have said it several times earlier in this forum: either start walking very, very, very early to get a bed in one of the public albergues, or phone and reserve into a private one from 1 to 3 days in advance if you prefer to take your time in your walking. In the first case you might still be left out without a bed; in the second, peace of mind is assured!

By our experience last year, the first half of July was quite quiet, with a significant decrease in the number of pilgrims as compared to all of June; however, from mid July and until mid September, the Camino was crowded with pilgrims. We do not know if this happens every year (the decrease in the first half of July, I mean), or if it was just a strange thing last year...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
One thng I noticed last month is that many more people on this route walk 30 km a day without blinking than on the CF. I prefer shorter days and would therefor arrive at albergues before those who stated behind me, often 1o, many times 20 km behind me I would most likely never see them again. Oh, and this way I got to stay in albergues that were practically empty while they walked as a cohort.

I completed my "final" camino a month ago - the Ruta del Ebro.
Now I'm just thinking [only thinking, you understand] of the Primitivo for next May!
I need to gather a lot of information over the next few months......
Buen camino!

I started from Oviedo on 10 July. Setting out this morning from Lugo (after a rest day) was the first time the route seemed busy. As I entered the main square I saw more people approaching with back packs than I had seen in the previous 9 days' walking put together. Oddly I saw no one at all beyond San Roman (more guests arrived at my Casa Rural in Ferreira later).

There wasn't enough accommodation in Cadavo Baliera on 17 July - both the Albergue and the hotel were full. This may have been a peak in demand as people try to reach Santiago for 25 July. The number of people on the route may drop thereafter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
... This may have been a peak in demand as people try to reach Santiago for 25 July. The number of people on the route may drop thereafter.
Totally agree Maureen: we at the albergue have also noticed that: today we've had a peak in pilgrims compared to the last few days, and already since yesterday we are fully booked for TOMORROW. Makes sense, as we are 3 days from Santiago, so people staying tomorrow will arrive on the 24th, and then they will already wake up in Santiago on July 25th, the BIG day in Santiago :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back