• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Madrid to Sarria by bus

mcdeltat

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from Sarria (April 2015)
Hey y'all!

Not sure if this was covered in another thread or not, but just wanted to share knowledge I learned, in case it helps anyone.

Sarria is 110 km from Santiago. It is the absolute minimum starting point if you want your certificate. It may be easier (and cheaper!) to fly to Santiago and then take a bus to Sarria. But to me, that feels kinda like cheating!

So, I took a bus from Madrid to Lugo on Alsa: www.alsa.es
It cost about 55 Euros and took about 5 hours.

Then another short bus ride from Lugo to Sarria, on MonBus: www.monbus.es
It took half an hour and cost about 4 Euros.

The flight back from Santiago to Madrid was just 19 Euros, on RyanAir (of course!)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
And just in case someone arrives to this thread looking for info about how to get from Madrid to Sarria, I'll say there are two direct trains from Madrid to Sarria (one daylight time -daily- and another one overnight -daily except Saturdays-). Train can be cheaper than bus; specially if booked beforehand.

P.S.: The about 55 Euros bus fare from Madrid to Lugo is on the premium buses (supra-economy). The fare in a standard bus is about 39 Euros. Daily, there are several supra-economy buses as well as several normal (standard) buses so usually you can pick your choice. Departure times of supra-economy buses aren't the same than departure times of normal buses. Supra-economy buses make the route in less time than normal buses.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey y'all!

Not sure if this was covered in another thread or not, but just wanted to share knowledge I learned, in case it helps anyone.

Sarria is 110 km from Santiago. It is the absolute minimum starting point if you want your certificate. It may be easier (and cheaper!) to fly to Santiago and then take a bus to Sarria. But to me, that feels kinda like cheating!

The flight back from Santiago to Madrid was just 19 Euros, on RyanAir (of course!)
Wow! That is just the information I have been searching for! Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. : o )

Thank you for your sharing:)

I will take the bus at 8 am next Sunday. Should I arrive the bus station earlier? Can't imagine how exhausted it would be to travel by bus for 6 hours. Any recommendation to be aware?

Hey y'all!

I will take the bus at 8 am next Sunday. Should I arrive the bus station earlier? Can't imagine how exhausted it would be to travel by bus for 6 hours. Any recommendation to be aware?
Similar to the ones for long flighs: stand up every now and then, stretch your legs and neck. And maybe better to start walking the next day than right away ^^

(Because from now on you will be walking for six hours instead of just sitting, which is less boring, more rewarding but way more tiring! :D)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Similar to the ones for long flighs: stand up every now and then, stretch your legs and neck. And maybe better to start walking the next day than right away ^^

(Because from now on you will be walking for six hours instead of just sitting, which is less boring, more rewarding but way more tiring! :D)
Thank you for your encouragement :) My main concern is about toilet issue. Is there break within that 5 hour bus? and I hope I can get the right transit bus to Sarria :) I will start the next day I arrive Sarria. I hope to spend weekend in Santiago de Compostela

My main concern is about toilet issue. Is there break within that 5 hour bus? and I hope I can get the right transit bus to Sarria :) I will start the next day I arrive Sarria. I hope to spend weekend in Santiago de Compostela

I've been to Spain a few times, and as far as I remeber all ALSA buses have toilets in the back of the bus, so it should not be a big issue! Never travelled for more than 3 hours, though.

Enjoy your weekend in Santiago! Just remember to arrive early if you intend to attend the pilgrims mass, because it gets really crowded! If you have the time, do the walk on the cathedral's roof, it´s really pretty! :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back