• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Learning Portuguese: Helpful Phrases?

KylieM

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk camino Portuguese in Sept 2015
Hi All,

I am going to take a crash course in Portuguese. I will find some resources online, and I will bribe my Brazilian colleague with beer to see if he can help me brush up on some words and phrases. I have a basic start - hello, thank you , please, counting, my name is, left , right forward, etc...

However, maybe there are some more camino specific phrases that would be helpful to know? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks from scorching Amsterdam!

Cheers; Kylie M.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Bom Caminho!

Bless - that's a good start Mike Savage! Also if you don't know the Portugues, no worries - just the English is good! - e.g, " I am lost, can you help me find the way back to the path to X-town?"

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am using Duolingo app to lealea Portuguese basics prior to CP. Used it for Spanish prior to CF and it helped me a lot.

Kylie: Don't know your location but you can go online (Amazon) and order "Keep Talking Portuguese" with Sue Tyson-Ward. I have the Advanced Beginner Series. I speak Spanish but must tell you the pronunciation is really different.

Please be aware that Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese are different. I have Brazilian cousins. They tell me that when they visit Lisbon they must not use Brazilian slang, let alone certain phrases. Think of the difference between Quebecois French and standard Parisian French.

I will be joining the Caminho Portugues from Lisbon on or about September 5th. I arrive in Lisbon on the 2nd. I will be cycling on this Camino. Last year I walked the Camino Frances from SJPP. I learned my lesson then. John

Here are some questions that might be useful.
Is this the Caminho de Santiago? Am I on the Caminho de Santiago?
Este é o Caminho de Santiago? Estou no caminho de Santiago?

I am lost, how do I go to ... I am lost, what is the way to...
Estou perdida, como vou para... Estou perdida, qual é o caminho para...

The bill please
A conta por favor

Is there a café nearby?
Há algum café perto?

Could you give me some water?
Podia dar-me água?

Is there a fountain nearby?
Existe alguma fonte perto?

I've been struggling to devise some phonetic equivalents for this english, but I thing the best is to put the portuguese phrases into google translator and press the speaker button, it'll read it to you. It does it in portuguese from Portugal.
I also recommend their translation app, you can write, speak or photograph and it'll translate it for you.
It'll sort out all questions above and any others, you can then just reproduce the portuguese sound.

Good on you for making an effort, its always better to get some grasp on the language and can be fun, if you are so inclined.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
" I am lost, can you help me find the way back to the path to X-town?"

You will find getting lost is nigh on impossible - the Portuguese has the best waymarking I have experienced anywhere apart form that long straight stretch on the meseta where every bollard is unnecessarily painted with an arrow. I felt like someone was holding my hand the whole way.

We were also surprised at the English spoken by everyone. Quite in contrast to Spain. (Of course, I am not saying not to bother learning Portuguese, but it may alleviate any niggles you have to know what the situation is like)

I decided on the very last minute to pick up a bit of Portuguese. I don't learn languages in a formal manner, but just listen and repeat, so I started to search the Internet and found several sites in YouTube. Problem was that most were Brazilian
Portuguese!
I didn't get very far in the three weeks left before we headed out besides the usual basics, but I did learn by heart a catchy song, sung by Michel Teló called Nossa, Nossa, assim você me mata. Of course, the words are " street language" and if you say " nossa" is "our", you are very wrong, because it meant "Wow"!
Needless to say, I didn't get to use the word!
However, I mentioned it at a singsong one night at Fernandas, and they immediately started singing it!

Last edited:
I decided on the very last minute to pick up a bit of Portuguese. I don't learn languages in a formal manner, but just listen and repeat, so I started to search the Internet and found several sites in YouTube. Problem was that most were Brazilian
Portuguese!
I didn't get very far in the three weeks left before we headed out besides the usual basics, but I did learn by heart a catchy song, sung by Michel Teló called Nossa, Nossa, assim você me mata. Of course, the words are " street language" and if you say " nossa" is "our", you are very wrong, because it means "Wow"!
However, I mentioned it at a singsong one night at Fernandas, and they immediately started singing it!
Yes - I also tried to find apps for ‘European’ Portuguese rather than Brazilian.
I’d love to hear from someone who has any useful suggestions. I speak passable Spanish and Portuguese can understand me but it’s impossible in reverse.
As I’ll be walking the rather ‘out of the way’ Camino Portuguese Interior (from Viseu to Chaves) I doubt there will be as many English speakers as the Lisbon-Porto -Tui route. A little basic Portuguese is all I’m after . Cheers

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I simply decided that we get away with Central American Spanish when in Spain, then Brazilian Portuguese would be better than none in Portugal!

Hi Kylie.
Do not take very serious the language issue.
If you know basic words/phrases like edumad shared you will do fine.
Also, you will notice that most of the young Portuguese people understand Spanish, English and French.
But in a situation that language is a real issue, believe me that a solution will come out.
We have welcome Japanese and Korean Pilgrims that only speak their own language.
That is a real challenge!!!
Bom Caminho
Mario

Some other useful phrases:

Bom dia! (Good moorning!)

Boa tarde! (Good afternoon!)

Onde fica...? (Where is...?)

Quanto custa...? (How much does .... cost?)

Obrigada (thank you)
Muito obrigada (thank you very much)

Café com leite, por favor (Coffee with milk, please - for a 'flat white' type)

Bom caminho! :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I actually admire the effort of those who try to learn basics of a language prior to travelling to foreign country... in that sense, the OP is more than right! It´s polite and I think it shows that you are willing to go a bit more out of your comfort zone to experience the Camino.

After Santiago, my husband and I went to Madrid to visit some places, and I'll never forget a family outside the Monasterio de las Descalças Reales complaining "This place was sh*t, they only speak Spanish!"

Wow, it's a place in Spain, I wonder why the nuns spoke Spanish over there! :D

I actually admire the effort of those who try to learn basics of a language prior to travelling to foreign country... in that sense, the OP is more than right! It´s polite and I think it shows that you are willing to go a bit more out of your comfort zone to experience the Camino.

After Santiago, my husband and I went to Madrid to visit some places, and I'll never forget a family outside the Monasterio de las Descalças Reales complaining "This place was sh*t, they only speak Spanish!"

Wow, it's a place in Spain, I wonder why the nuns spoke Spanish over there! :D
Hi Anamya, loved your reply. Believe me, in Portugal you would have a different experience. If you ask any info or help to a Portuguese people that only speaks Portuguese, he/she will take your hand to make sure you will be in the right place or get what you need. That is our way and many of us knows basic English, Spanish and French ;)
Bom Caminho
Mario

The phrase I learned on the Caminho that I remember most was said by a farmer as I passed by. I must have looked miserable in the pouring rain and he was looking heavenward with his arms stretched out and a huge smile on his face, happily calling out "muita chuva". We figured out that it meant something like "hell of a lot of rain". The words came in handy many, many more times in Portugal. :p

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Anamya, loved your reply. Believe me, in Portugal you would have a different experience. If you ask any info or help to a Portuguese people that only speaks Portuguese, he/she will take your hand to make sure you will be in the right place or get what you need. That is our way and many of us knows basic English, Spanish and French ;)
Bom Caminho
Mario

Dear Mario
Se você não se importar com sotaque, eu falo Português. Morei muitos anos no Brasil! (If you don't mind accents, I can speak Portuguese. I lived many years in Brazil!) However, my husband speaks English and his second language (Cantonese) is not of much help in the Camino... :D We plan to do the Camino Portugues next year and I'll be certainly training him with the basics!

Many friends said they were impressed with the ability Portuguese people had to speak other languages. I suppose it shows they have that "willingness" to go beyond your comfort zone - a great attitude indeed!

"muita chuva"

You got it right, it means "a lot of rain" :D
"Muito" is a very useful word... If someone offers you some food and you like it, say "muito bom" (very good) and they will be happy! :D

The word that the Portuguese like to hear, even if you did not understand what the Portuguese said, is:

Obrigada (thank you)
Muito obrigada (thank you very much)

As Mario said, most of the young Portuguese people understand Spanish, English and French.

I think one of the reasons for the Portuguese have facility in speaking other languages is because the movies that the Portuguese see in the cinemas or on television in Portugal, are transmitted in the original language and subtitled in Portuguese and are not spoken by local artists, as it happens in Spain or other countries.

I think one of the reasons for the Portuguese have facility in speaking other languages is because the movies

That certainly helps. Also, if you can understand the logic behind Portuguese grammar, structure, sufixes and etc, you can give a very good guess to how many othen Latin-based languages work (such as Spanish, French and Italian).

My husband says that it happens because "Portuguese is so ridiculously hard that other languages must seem easy". He may have a point :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here are some questions that might be useful.
Is this the Caminho de Santiago? Am I on the Caminho de Santiago?
Este é o Caminho de Santiago? Estou no caminho de Santiago?

I am lost, how do I go to ... I am lost, what is the way to...
Estou perdida, como vou para... Estou perdida, qual é o caminho para...

The bill please
A conta por favor

Is there a café nearby?
Há algum café perto?

Could you give me some water?
Podia dar-me água?

Is there a fountain nearby?
Existe alguma fonte perto?

I've been struggling to devise some phonetic equivalents for this english, but I thing the best is to put the portuguese phrases into google translator and press the speaker button, it'll read it to you. It does it in portuguese from Portugal.
I also recommend their translation app, you can write, speak or photograph and it'll translate it for you.
It'll sort out all questions above and any others, you can then just reproduce the portuguese sound.

Good on you for making an effort, its always better to get some grasp on the language and can be fun, if you are so inclined.
This is so cool - thanks again for more advice Edumad! I will practice these this weekend, and try to commit them to memory. Chees; Ky

You will find getting lost is nigh on impossible - the Portuguese has the best waymarking I have experienced anywhere apart form that long straight stretch on the meseta where every bollard is unnecessarily painted with an arrow. I felt like someone was holding my hand the whole way.

We were also surprised at the English spoken by everyone. Quite in contrast to Spain. (Of course, I am not saying not to bother learning Portuguese, but it may alleviate any niggles you have to know what the situation is like)
Thanks Kiwi-family! Since I will be walking the Portuguese section by myself, I would like a little bit of Portuguese so I'm not 100% clueless about what's going on around me. All of the Portuguese people I know speak English, but I figure simple phrases like "Excuse me", or " Good morning" will help me make easy contact with locals as I pass through the towns. I have a friend who will join me at the border, and she speaks Spanish. So with our powers combined, hopefully we can get through most simple conversations with locals without using English...nicer for the locals, and a good opportunity for us to practice ( and learn!)

Also, I never under-estimate my own powers of getting lost. I did it last week on a practice walk when I missed a marker, and detoured for 45 mins until I got back to where I needed to be... thanks for the re-assurance though! Getting lost/ wasting time back-tracking is one of my pet peeves. Cheers; Kylie M.

Portuguese!
I didn't get very far in the three weeks left before we headed out besides the usual basics, but I did learn by heart a catchy song, sung by Michel Teló called Nossa, Nossa, assim você me mata. Of course, the words are " street language" and if you say " nossa" is "our", you are very wrong, because it meant "Wow"!
annakappa - you kill me! I am looking at your picture and am imagining you singing this raunchy little Michel Telo song... bless you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Kylie.
Do not take very serious the language issue.
If you know basic words/phrases like edumad shared you will do fine.
Also, you will notice that most of the young Portuguese people understand Spanish, English and French.
But in a situation that language is a real issue, believe me that a solution will come out.
We have welcome Japanese and Korean Pilgrims that only speak their own language.
That is a real challenge!!!
Bom Caminho
Mario
Hi Santaremhostel, thanks for taking the time to reply. I don't expect to be fluent before I go, but I do at least want to make an effort. In my travels I have found that with a few key phrases and an open mind I meet the coolest people, and enjoy some amazing experiences. Also, I don't just want to meet young people - am really looking forward to meeting some sassy Nana's and Grandpa's along the way!

Hi Kylie.
Unexpected reply and very true! Yes you should looking forward to meet some Nana's and Grandpa's along your your way.
They are amazing on the way can express !!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi as a Portuguese citizen, I truly can say we are a friendly country, you have a big probability to get some one to help you, even if the language is a problem.

My honest suggestions, in language issues:

- Star to approach people by saying Hello ( Olá )
-Try to not "scare" people ( criminality...) so the "unfreeze" word that I recommend is to say I'm a pilgrim in travel to Santiago Compostela ( Sou um peregrino em viagem até Santiago de Compostela ). You will see this will open all the doors, don't be surprise if someone stop what is doing and take their own car and put you on track :)
- After that just try to ask put the basic question

Como vou para este sitio... How to go to this place...
Onde posso dormir...where I can sleep
Estou no caminho certo para chegar a este sitio...Am I in the correct road to...

P.S- If you ask something to a Portuguese and they start to speak more loud and sometimes slowly...don't worry it's in our culture we think that If we in speak in Portuguese more louder and slowly you will understand :)

Last edited:
Welcome Miguel and thanks!

Hi as a Portuguese citizen, I truly can say we are a friendly country, you have a big probability to get some one to help you, even if the language is a problem.

My honest suggestions, in language issues:

- Star to approach people by saying Hello ( Olá )
-Try to not "scare" people ( criminality...) so the "unfreeze" word that I recommend is to say I'm a pilgrim in travel to Santiago Compostela ( Sou um peregrino em viagem até Santiago de Compostela ). You will see this will open all the doors, don't be surprise if someone stop what is doing and take their own car and put you on track :)
- After that just try to ask put the basic question

Como vou para este sitio... How to go to this place...
Onde posso dormir...where I can sleep
Estou no caminho certo para chegar a este sitio...Am I in the correct road to...

P.S- If you ask something to a Portuguese and they start to speak more loud and sometimes slowly...don't worry it's in our culture we think that If we in speak in Portuguese more louder and slowly you will understand :)
Thank you Miguel, 'sitio' is a new word for me. Much appreciated!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Even though this question about learning some Portuguese was posed in 2015, I wanted to add that on youtube I have found helpful a European Portuguese course, in case someone is searching currently. Here's a link to the lesson on trains, as an example.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back