Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Primitivo as a first Camino?

Rich

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances or primitivo (july 2015)
Hi all,

I have a little more than two weeks at the end of July for my first Camino, and I'm considering the primitivo, as it would allow me to finish within the allotted time without having to skip any stages, and I could then maybe continue on to Finisterre or Muxia if time allows. The scenery on the primitivo also appeals to me, as well as the fact that less English seems to be spoken than on the Frances (part of my motivation here is to work on my Spanish).

Any thoughts on this plan? Am I missing out on a "classic" Camino experience by not doing the Frances? I'm a 23 year old guy, and it seems to me like it's generally an older crowd on the Primitivo. Not that that's a bad thing, but I'm hoping to meet some people my age to hang out with along the way.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The Primitivo every time.....:)
Buen Camino

Hi all,

I have a little more than two weeks at the end of July for my first Camino, and I'm considering the primitivo, as it would allow me to finish within the allotted time without having to skip any stages, and I could then maybe continue on to Finisterre or Muxia if time allows. The scenery on the primitivo also appeals to me, as well as the fact that less English seems to be spoken than on the Frances (part of my motivation here is to work on my Spanish).

Any thoughts on this plan? Am I missing out on a "classic" Camino experience by not doing the Frances? I'm a 23 year old guy, and it seems to me like it's generally an older crowd on the Primitivo. Not that that's a bad thing, but I'm hoping to meet some people my age to hang out with along the way.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

At the end of July you will probably get more than enough of the "classic" Camino experience in the 53 kilometers between Melide (where the Francés joins the Primitivo) and Santiago. :) If you have some Spanish you will be fine on the Primitivo - the accent may seem strange, as Asturian / Galician "Castillano" is a bit different to the classical Madrid Spanish. There are lots of lovely helpful people and beautiful scenery. Go for it.

Buen Camino
Tio Tel

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's a beautiful Way!
And last September there was a wide span of ages and nationalities.

At the end of July you will probably get more than enough of the "classic" Camino experience in the 53 kilometers between Melide (where the Francés joins the Primitivo) and Santiago. :)

I'd second that. I've walked the Frances, the Ingles and most recently the Primitivo. If I had to choose just one to walk again I would choose the Primitivo without hesitation. Challenging but very rewarding. Busy enough to find company but quiet enough to find peace too.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I say go for it! It's beautiful. I jsut came back, and the everage age was a solid 60! But with uni vacation mow here it will most certainly drop. It may not be the best place to find your future wife ( ratio of men to women was about 5:1!) you will meet very interesting people. And when you hit Melide you will get a taste of the French and can then decide if that is what you prefer and do it next year

I walked it last year with 8,10,11 and 13 year olds....and a 30-something school teacher who acted more like a mid-teen student;-) 20-somethings were not in short supply. But your experience may differ!!!!

Thanks all! I think I'll definitely stick to the primitivo. One more question. Has anyone continued the walk on to Fisterra or Muxia? Any thoughts on that? It looks right now like I'll have exactly two weeks, which isn't quite enough time to do the primitivo and continue to Fisterra, but I could cancel an earlier leg of my trip so that I could have enough time. What do you think? worth it? Any preference between the two (Fisterra or Muxia?)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We continued out to Fisterra and then back to Santiago on foot after our Primitivo (which came on the heels of Salvador and Frances to Leon and Baztan and La Voie de la Nive - so maybe we were tired of walking, though we didn't feel it) - but I would just stick with the Primitivo. In fact, if I had extra time I would tack on the Salvador at the beginning in preference to going to the coast - but then, I live near the sea and so the mountains provide something exotic for me!

Thanks all. Flying to Europe tomorrow, and will start the primitivo from Oviedo on 7/19. Been having some knee troubles lately so I'm a little nervous, but hopefully it'll be all good by the time I'm ready to start walking!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Buen Camino.
If you add a tubigrip (elastic tube type bandage) to your kit then you can support your knee(s) if needed before you have any real problems. Double fold over the knee or triple fold just under the knee gives good support. You just cut the tube to the length(s) needed. A pharmacy will have the right size as they come in several sizes to fit small to large. They are very lightweight and not expensive.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back