• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Live from the Norte... feels like paradise

NadineK

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014)
Norte/Primitivo (2015)
San Salvador (2016)
Le Puy-Cahors (2017)
Aragonés (2019)
I'm about to branch off to the Primitivo tomorrow, but this walk on the Norte has been incredible. All the posts on this forum were so helpful in planning- and a big thank you to everyone who helped out with albergue recommendations. I've stayed in some pretty incredible places, and the kindness of other pilgrims, hospitalero's, and the locals has continued to amaze me. It's been beautiful.

I've been blogging along the way, somehow managing to write a post every day; so if anyone is planning a walk on the Norte (or just wants some Camino reading), feel free to check out my blog!

singlestepcamino.wordpress.com

Buen Camino!
Nadine

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What perfect timing! I'm going to start the Norte on Wednesday and have been scavenging online for as much info as possible :D Just off to read your blog now (and since I also plan to continue onto the Primitivo, look forward to reading your updates.) Buen camino!

Read your blog this morning, it brought back many wonderful memories. You will love the Primitivo. I wish you a lovely Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What perfect timing! I'm going to start the Norte on Wednesday and have been scavenging online for as much info as possible :D Just off to read your blog now (and since I also plan to continue onto the Primitivo, look forward to reading your updates.) Buen camino!
Kimberly I hope the blog helps! It's been such a wonderful experience... Buen Camino!

Read your blog this morning, it brought back many wonderful memories. You will love the Primitivo. I wish you a lovely Camino.
Thank you so much, I'm excited for the Primitivo!

...I've been blogging along the way, somehow managing to write a post every day; so if anyone is planning a walk on the Norte (or just wants some Camino reading), feel free to check out my blog! singlestepcamino.wordpress.com Buen Camino! Nadine
Started reading your blog, and then got sidetracked by this article of yours written last year: "Endless coffee, top bunks, and delirium; 7 things I miss about the Camino". I enjoyed it, and liked the photos that you included.
Buen Camino for your present pilgrimage, Nadine.
Suzanne :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I really enjoy reading your words about your experience. It brings great insight to me, so I feel I will be better prepared for the same Camino del Norte this September, but I'm doing it by bike, but will probably be alone for most of it as well. I have spent a lot of time up north in some of the bigger cities as well as Santiago de Compostela, but that was 13 years ago, so i'm super excited to be back and experience it in a different way. I'll continue to follow your posts. Thanks again

I am enjoying reading your blog. My wife and I will be starting the Camino del Norte from Irun on 18th July

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm about to branch off to the Primitivo tomorrow,

I've been blogging along the way, somehow managing to write a post every day; so if anyone is planning a walk on the Norte (or just wants some Camino reading), feel free to check out my blog!

Buen Camino!
Nadine
love reading blogs thanks for posting :)

Hi Nadine,
love your blog. I will be walking the del Norte and Primitivo in October/November this year.
Sharon

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm about to branch off to the Primitivo tomorrow, but this walk on the Norte has been incredible. All the posts on this forum were so helpful in planning- and a big thank you to everyone who helped out with albergue recommendations. I've stayed in some pretty incredible places, and the kindness of other pilgrims, hospitalero's, and the locals has continued to amaze me. It's been beautiful.

Buen Camino!
Nadine

Buen Camino!
Nadine
Hi Nadine
Thanks for sharing your Camino, I am planning to start my Camino del Norte on September 16th. Still debating whether to branch off to the Primitive, or continue on the Camino del Norte. On your (well-written) blog, your first impressions of the Primitivo sounded like a bit of a let down when compared to the Camino del Norte. Knowing what you know now, would you still do the Primitivo, or would you chance the del Norte?

Nadine, thank you so much for your blog! I've really enjoyed it and it's allayed my fears about finding accommodation on the Norte (which I was kind of worried about...) I leave for Bilbao tomorrow... Eek/can't wait!!!
-Bethany

Hi Nadine
Just to share your feeling, back to home since last tuesday and my soul is still on the caminodelnorte!
Amazing, real rude and nice at the same time, fantastic landscapes, and even if cold, si into the ocean has been a must.
Now we are planning for next year the camino de la Plata. We'll see.
If you wants to see some pictures I shared here:
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=albums&v=photos#cid=B814283EED6499C2&id=B814283EED6499C2!6452&v=photos
BUEN CAMINO SEMPRE!

Buen Camino!
Nadine

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Nadine
Thanks for sharing your Camino, I am planning to start my Camino del Norte on September 16th. Still debating whether to branch off to the Primitive, or continue on the Camino del Norte. On your (well-written) blog, your first impressions of the Primitivo sounded like a bit of a let down when compared to the Camino del Norte. Knowing what you know now, would you still do the Primitivo, or would you chance the del Norte?

Hi Emile,

Sorry for the very late reply to this (finally getting home and settled after all the traveling!). You've asked a really, really good question: Norte or Primitivo. It's true that when I left the Norte, I was hesitant about my decision, and my first days on the Primitivo felt a little lonely and isolated. Some of this could have been that I was in a big group of Spanish speakers who were having a ton of fun, and I just couldn't understand what was going on. I also didn't have anyone familiar around me, and it was mentally/emotionally a bit difficult to accept that I had left behind my "people" (by walking more quickly and also by choosing to take the Primitivo). But these could very well be my own issues, and certainly have been when it comes to being alone vs with others on my Caminos.

That being said, I AM so glad that I walked the Primitivo. I still wonder what the rest of the Norte was like, and just might do the entire thing one day; but I was very happy to have chosen to walk the Primitivo. The mountains were beautiful (even though the supposedly most beautiful day was full of fog and clouds for me); and I felt that I was around more people, which was an adjustment, but also welcome. I think I had really built up the Primitivo in my mind and from what I had read, and I suppose it was just a bit of a 'let down' compared to my expectations, but then again I was blown away by sections of the Norte, so maybe my expectations were just too high. The first few days of the Primitivo were just okay, but in the middle I had a few absolutely stunning walks.

This is a very long winded reply, but I have to say, I still think it's a toss-up. I'm not sure if I made the "right" decision (but what ever is the right one?); I truly think that either way would have been great. If you're still undecided when you head to Spain, I would just wait and see how you feel when you approach the turn-off for the Primitivo, and make your decision then. I've found that going with your gut is often the best approach. :)

Thanks for the message and for reading my blog, it was so much fun to write!

Buen Camino,
Nadine

Nadine, thank you so much for your blog! I've really enjoyed it and it's allayed my fears about finding accommodation on the Norte (which I was kind of worried about...) I leave for Bilbao tomorrow... Eek/can't wait!!!
-Bethany

Hi Bethany, I guess you're on the Norte now... I hope it's a great experience for you!!

Buen Camino,
Nadine

Hi Nadine
Just to share your feeling, back to home since last tuesday and my soul is still on the caminodelnorte!
Amazing, real rude and nice at the same time, fantastic landscapes, and even if cold, si into the ocean has been a must.
Now we are planning for next year the camino de la Plata. We'll see.
If you wants to see some pictures I shared here:
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=albums&v=photos#cid=B814283EED6499C2&id=B814283EED6499C2!6452&v=photos
BUEN CAMINO SEMPRE!

Thank you for sharing your photos, I can't wait to look at them. And now that I'm home, I agree with you... my soul is still on the Camino (for me, it's on both the Norte and the Primitivo). What a great experience!!

Thank you for your message and Buen Camino :)
Nadine

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Emile,

Sorry for the very late reply to this (finally getting home and settled after all the traveling!). You've asked a really, really good question: Norte or Primitivo. It's true that when I left the Norte, I was hesitant about my decision, and my first days on the Primitivo felt a little lonely and isolated. Some of this could have been that I was in a big group of Spanish speakers who were having a ton of fun, and I just couldn't understand what was going on. I also didn't have anyone familiar around me, and it was mentally/emotionally a bit difficult to accept that I had left behind my "people" (by walking more quickly and also by choosing to take the Primitivo). But these could very well be my own issues, and certainly have been when it comes to being alone vs with others on my Caminos.

That being said, I AM so glad that I walked the Primitivo. I still wonder what the rest of the Norte was like, and just might do the entire thing one day; but I was very happy to have chosen to walk the Primitivo. The mountains were beautiful (even though the supposedly most beautiful day was full of fog and clouds for me); and I felt that I was around more people, which was an adjustment, but also welcome. I think I had really built up the Primitivo in my mind and from what I had read, and I suppose it was just a bit of a 'let down' compared to my expectations, but then again I was blown away by sections of the Norte, so maybe my expectations were just too high. The first few days of the Primitivo were just okay, but in the middle I had a few absolutely stunning walks.

This is a very long winded reply, but I have to say, I still think it's a toss-up. I'm not sure if I made the "right" decision (but what ever is the right one?); I truly think that either way would have been great. If you're still undecided when you head to Spain, I would just wait and see how you feel when you approach the turn-off for the Primitivo, and make your decision then. I've found that going with your gut is often the best approach. :)

Buen Camino,
Nadine
Thanks again Nadine for your feedback, I am 5 weeks away from leaving So Cal for Paris, then on to Biarritz to hop across the border and start my Norte journey. I have a
Hi Emile,

Buen Camino,
Nadine

Hello Nadine, I just now saw your feedback, looks like either way, it should be a fantastic experience. I agree with your comment about doing whats feels "right" in your gut! I'll leave San Diego for Paris on September 14 , hop on a plane to Biarritz on the 15th, so tentatively I will start my trek from Irun on the 16th or at the latest on the 17th of September. My Northern Caminos Guidebook covers both the Norte and Primitivo routes, so I'll play it by ear when I get to the proverbial fork on the road! Seems like either route should be amazing! Thanks again for your input. Cheers!

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.