• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Just the Backpack and Me

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
I decided today to do my first training walk with a fully loaded backpack, with a litre of water this comes to 7.3 kg.
I hadn't intended to go very far, I thought as the first venture out with the pack 6 miles would be a good tester. I have to say that when I left the house I thought this is going to test me, especially as I was going up and down the Jurassic coast, I guess I was trying to replicate the walk from SJPdP to Orrison.

Within the first mile I had done a lot of adjustments to the backpack to get it sitting as it should, once that was resolved it felt really great. After about 3 miles it felt that the backpack was really part of me, and even though the walk was all up and down my timing was about the same as without the pack, so this really pleased me.
Now I know this is only the first time that I've been conjoined with the pack, but as I've still just over 2 months to go, I'll get a lot more training in.
I feel that if I didn't have the opportunity to train with the pack then I'd find it very hard to do the training as part of the walk as some people seem to do.

So over the next 2 months I intend to increase the distance.

Forgot to mention that on this trip I used my new poles, I've done a little bit of training using just one, but with the pack I went for both of them.
Now I know there has been some interesting debates about the use of poles, my view is that if I hadn't had them with me today I would really have struggled. Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You certainly are going about your training in a very good way. If you can find a mountain to walk up the elevation will make your breathing a lot easier going over the pyranies. But if not available. Many of the folks I crossed the Pyranies with they simply slowed down.

I decided today to do my first training walk with a fully loaded backpack, with a litre of water this comes to 7.3 kg.
I hadn't intended to go very far, I thought as the first venture out with the pack 6 miles would be a good tester. I have to say that when I left the house I thought this is going to test me, especially as I was going up and down the Jurassic coast, I guess I was trying to replicate the walk from SJPdP to Orrison.

Within the first mile I had done a lot of adjustments to the backpack to get it sitting as it should, once that was resolved it felt really great. After about 3 miles it felt that the backpack was really part of me, and even though the walk was all up and down my timing was about the same as without the pack, so this really pleased me.
Now I know this is only the first time that I've been conjoined with the pack, but as I've still just over 2 months to go, I'll get a lot more training in.
I feel that if I didn't have the opportunity to train with the pack then I'd find it very hard to do the training as part of the walk as some people seem to do.

Forgot to mention that on this trip I used my new poles, I've done a little bit of training using just one, but with the pack I went for both of them.
Now I know there has been some interesting debates about the use of poles, my view is that if I hadn't had them with me today I would really have struggled. Just my 2 cents worth.
Well, you have answered my question! I haven't purchased poles yet and was wondering if I would really need them. I am walking from Burgos to Santiago.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, you have answered my question! I haven't purchased poles yet and was wondering if I would really need them. I am walking from Burgos to Santiago.

Noonie

There is a lot of discussion regarding poles on various threads, some people swear by them and some don't. I think its a personal choice, for me after yesterday it's a no brainer.
Sorry I can't offer any real advice here, what works for me might not work for you. If you know someone who has a pair, see if you can borrow to try them out.

I went to our local REI and was in sticker shock! I'm going to borrow a friends poles to check it out before investing in hi-tech gear! Being 64 I might find it a helpful solution. Sounds like most people want to send half their "stuff" home after the first week, so why not pack only half of what you might need :0)

I went to our local REI and was in sticker shock! I'm going to borrow a friends poles to check it out before investing in hi-tech gear! Being 64 I might find it a helpful solution. Sounds like most people want to send half their "stuff" home after the first week, so why not pack only half of what you might need :0)

One of the things that I found useful with the poles, was not only going uphill but also down hill, they really do take a lot of strain off the knees.
As your visit to REI tells you, they are an expensive item, but you don't have to break the bank with them, I note a lot of people buy them when they arrive.

I won't be sending anything home after the first week, I have one complete change only, if I need anything else I'll buy it on the way.

I am going for my second training walk this weekend. After weeks of below average temperatures, we have a whole week of c. 30 degrees. The heat is already killing me. No idea how it's going to go,mor how I will manage the heat in Potugal and Spain in September. I have borrowed my friend's walking poles, and will half pack my bag with what I will be carrying for real. Thanks for the update on your walking practice, nice to know I'm not the only one!

I am planning on buying poles after flight over, not sure I can take on plane if I carry on backpack. I will use them for sure after reading this thread.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Purchases my poles at Costco for $25. I would not have finished in Santiago without them. Saved my 66 year old knees and hips, especially on down-hills.

Waka - Congratulations on finding a pack that you're 'conjoined' to. :) The way you describe it is exactly how it should be, in my opinion and experience. I've been fortunate in that sense too, and never once over several Caminos have I ever felt significantly hindered by it. That, together with good boots mean you're half way to Santiago!

Enjoy the rest of your training and Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am planning on buying poles after flight over, not sure I can take on plane if I carry on backpack. I will use them for sure after reading this thread.
We were allowed sticks on packs on all our flights last year.....with rubber tips on.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

that's amazing you are training with that already, I have always hated carrying a load, but put myself in training just increasing my load gently, I know the coast you walk on so if you can do that - you will be fine, it was a bit of a shell shock (mainly the heat in September when I did it) but little by little you will soon enough be there, a bit of a grunt at times, but believe me it soon eases off, took my poles - pooh poohed them originally but they became a part of me and are invaluable - no problem and worked out an ingenious way to make a make shift tent structure should I have needed it - but of course its not the wild west or Dartmoor! don't get over fractious about this as long as you can do distance - all is well

Got back a week ago from the first leg....on the way to Spain
I carried on my pack but put my poles on a box and checked them through to my final destination. On the way home, the Madrid airport security allowed my poles as carry on. I did say they were my "walking aids".

Congratulations Waka, sorting out your pack's fit is so important!
I must admit that my whole training for the Camino program went up in flames some time ago. I depart for SJPDP in a little over 2 weeks and I haven't done anything like enough training. My boots are worn in, and apart from the clothes I'll be wearing I have all the kit I need, but my training schedule has pretty much been reduced from 6 months to the week leading up to the whole thing. Think I might have sore knees when I drag myself into Roncevalles on the first day!! Employment is very much over rated!!

Noonie

There is a lot of discussion regarding poles on various threads, some people swear by them and some don't. I think its a personal choice, for me after yesterday it's a no brainer.
Sorry I can't offer any real advice here, what works for me might not work for you. If you know someone who has a pair, see if you can borrow to try them out.
Hi Waka, it's indeed a personal thing, my wife always walks with poles and I don't. The reason for my wife is that she is only 1,59 mtr. tall and I am 1,97 mtr. tall. Wish you well, Peter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

You are really on the right track. Walked in 2013 at 64. Lots of training miles during which foot and hip issues emerged. Had time to find the help I needed to resolve them and was so thankful these discoveries were not made en route. Leaving September 1 for a second pilgrimage.

You are really on the right track. Walked in 2013 at the age of 64 having lots of training miles behind me. Foot and hip issues emerged during training, but I had the time and opportunity to correct the problems prior to departure. If it had all cropped up during pilgrimage, it would have detracted substantially from the experience. I leave on September 1 for my second Camino and am logging in the miles in hopes that preparation will pay off again. Hope you continue with your training - you will be so glad that you did!

i would take poles , i had never walked with them before i set off but bought a pair in lidl very soon they felt like part of me, and i am sure they saved me from falling on my ass many many times.so helpful on the down ward parts .

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back