• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Fatigue Question

Maduggan

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy 2018, Primitivo 2017, Portugues and Muxia 2016, Frances and Finesterre 2015
My brother and I just walked from Leon to Santiago, and we felt great physically. In the 15 days we walked, we felt energetic and had no pains. Now, we are walking the Camino Finesterre after one day's rest in Santiago, and we feel a deep muscle fatigue in our legs. We are wondering why this is happening and if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon. We will be in Finesterre tomorrow, but we are wondering if what we are feeling has happened to others - a sort of delayed fatigue from the Camino. Any responses would be greatly appreciated. P.S. This has been an amazing and most treasured experience for us!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The day's rest could play a part. We walked from Pamplona to Santiago in 31 days carrying a LOT of weight (because we had a 27 pound 13 month old with us) and while it was tough, we had energy each morning. We had planned to walk to finessterra (to us, the end of the Camino), but we took one full day off in Santiago to try to get our son baptized. By the following day we had massive fatigue, and didnt want to walk. We rested another day. The day after that we felt really fatigued, so, instead, we bused to Cee and walked the 11 km from there.....and that 11 km felt like 30. Something about getting out of the rythym and habit.

The closest we had ever come to a "rest" day was when we only walked 7 km one day because we stopped in Estella because of bad weather and the baby.....but even that 7 km was enough to keep our muscles going

Thank
The day's rest could play a part. We walked from Pamplona to Santiago in 31 days carrying a LOT of weight (because we had a 27 pound 13 month old with us) and while it was tough, we had energy each morning. We had planned to walk to finessterra (to us, the end of the Camino), but we took one full day off in Santiago to try to get our son baptized. By the following day we had massive fatigue, and didnt want to walk. We rested another day. The day after that we felt really fatigued, so, instead, we bused to Cee and walked the 11 km from there.....and that 11 km felt like 30. Something about getting out of the rythym and habit.

The closest we had ever come to a "rest" day was when we only walked 7 km one day because we stopped in Estella because of bad weather and the baby.....but even that 7 km was enough to keep our muscles going[/QUOTE.
Thank you so much for your reply. We suspected the rest day might have been the culprit. And kudos to you for bringing a little one on the Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you for your reply! We suspected the rest day might have been a factor. And good for you for bringing a little one on the Camino!

We walked from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago and then to Muxia and Finisterra. We had 5 rest days, 1 in Pamplona, 1 in Burgos, 1 in Leon, and 2 in Santiago. I remember feeling very tired on most of the rest days and often having a siesta in the afternoons, but I felt these days were essential to me having the energy to do the walk and also to help not to get blisters or other problems with our legs and feet.

What I feared was stopping, so I never did, walked from SJPDP to Finesterre 35 days. Once I stopped, I just plain wanted to lay around. Seemed everything was just wore out. So hang in there your almost there. Or stop & smell the ocean!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My brother and I just walked from Leon to Santiago, and we felt great physically. In the 15 days we walked, we felt energetic and had no pains. Now, we are walking the Camino Finesterre after one day's rest in Santiago, and we feel a deep muscle fatigue in our legs. We are wondering why this is happening and if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon. We will be in Finesterre tomorrow, but we are wondering if what we are feeling has happened to others - a sort of delayed fatigue from the Camino. Any responses would be greatly appreciated. P.S. This has been an amazing and most treasured experience for us!

Heat Exhaustion
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/heat-exhaustion

Could be heat exhaustion, but more likely just two things: 1) Fluid depletion. The recent heat and exercise has left lactic acid build up in your muscles. The rest has brought that out. You are also likely low on potassium and electrolytes. Go to thme farmacia and ask for hydration salts. Drinking water or sports drinks will not solve this problem. 2) if you've exercised an usually high amount for your fitness level, you could be experiencing the tiny muscle tears healing that naturally occur from over exertion. You'll be fine with a few more days rest.

I walked three months to Santiago across three countries with no sickness and no blisters after the first week - until I left Santiago to walk to Finisterre, when I got blisters and felt unwell. I reckoned it was because the "pilgrimage" part of my walk was over, and the angels were no longer guarding me. I'm sure there's a more humdrum explanation but that's the one I like

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Something similar happened to me after I walked the Camino Frances last Sept.

I flew home the day after I arrived at Santiago, and the following morning I woke up with terribly aching legs and stiff joints. I put that down to having been standing around waiting for the bus/checking in for flight/boarding plane etc plus sitting awkwardly for 2+ hours on the plane followed by 3+ hours on the train. Then when I went for a little walk into town, my legs would not function properly - I just had no spring in my step. I thought that was due to not using walking poles for the first time in a month.

Maybe, just maybe, I was totally wrong and all my troubles were caused by dehydration (from not drinking enough whilst travelling) and lack of electrolytes (my diet in Spain was a bit lopsided at times). I'll be more careful if I go again and take some rehydration salts with me.

Something similar happened to me after I walked the Camino Frances last Sept.

I flew home the day after I arrived at Santiago, and the following morning I woke up with terribly aching legs and stiff joints. I put that down to having been standing around waiting for the bus/checking in for flight/boarding plane etc plus sitting awkwardly for 2+ hours on the plane followed by 3+ hours on the train. Then when I went for a little walk into town, my legs would not function properly - I just had no spring in my step. I thought that was due to not using walking poles for the first time in a month.

Maybe, just maybe, I was totally wrong and all my troubles were caused by dehydration (from not drinking enough whilst travelling) and lack of electrolytes (my diet in Spain was a bit lopsided at times). I'll be more careful if I go again and take some rehydration salts with me.
You can never not drink too much if you do the pilgrim meal:rolleyes:.
I would write this off as Camino withdrawal, sure it feels great for the first month or so and then....Bang! You're legs and feet feel like they have been minced. Well what did you expect after walking every day for that long:rolleyes:?

Finestere is loaded with people offering alternative methods of dealing and healing muscle fatigue, ask around when you arrive - our Teutonic bretheran have a substantial foothold there and you can find several types of massage, Schröpfen cup therapy, acupunture, crystals and oils, alongside more traditional orthopedia. Stay Healthy!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Muscles start to degenerate after two days.

How much alcohol did you consume in santiago?

Maybe you had an adrenalin crash after achieving your santiago goal?

I was exhausted after annapurna circuit, everest base camp and kala pathar but it only took a couple of days to bounce back but i did not drink any alcohol.

Oz

I remember a 'Monday Morning' disease from Psych 101. Work horses rested Sundays but kept on the same ration of oats were stiff, cramping, sweating unwilling to move. It can be tough to get going after a day of rest. Humans also experience this at least to some extent.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You can never not drink too much if you do the pilgrim meal:rolleyes:.
I would write this off as Camino withdrawal, sure it feels great for the first month or so and then....Bang! You're legs and feet feel like they have been minced. Well what did you expect after walking every day for that long:rolleyes:?

That's my point - when I was walking, I drank quite a lot - starting with 500ml water on waking, through a beer at lunch and another at 4pm and then the pilgrim meal, along with lots of coffees and more water in between. It was when I was travelling - ie catching the bus to the airport, then the plane, then the trains - that I did not have much opportunity to drink. Apparently, when we are slightly dehydrated, the fluid in the joints is an easy place for the body to get the fluids it needs, hence joint pain is common when someone is dehydrated; same with headaches etc.

Interesting that by travelling, I meant going by bus/plane/train and NOT walking the camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Beer, alcohol, coffee, and tea are diuretics. If you are having dehydration problems, they are part of the problem, not the solution. ;)

But on the camino, drinking all those diurectics in copious quantities every day, I had no problems, no joint pains, no headaches etc at all. It was only when I had less than 500ml of water over a period of 12 hours that the problem started.

Dehydration is your hiking enemy.

I had this horrible altitude drug called diamox. It makes you urinate allot and messes up your skin.

I used it in annapurna. Then i read a book on everest that said it was a con. So i threw it away and treking was so much easier at altitude.

So yes keep hydrated it makes all the difference. Avoid alcohol as much as possible.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
But on the camino, drinking all those diurectics in copious quantities every day, I had no problems, no joint pains, no headaches etc at all. It was only when I had less than 500ml of water over a period of 12 hours that the problem started.
Post hoc, ergo sum hoc. :)

I only point out the science. The choice is up to you. ;)

Muscles start to degenerate after two days.
Really? I have seen some commentary that people might begin to lose muscle bulk after a couple of weeks depending upon their initial level of fitness and the intensity of their exercise regime, but I have not seen anything that indicates there is such a rapid onset of degeneration without exercise. What is your source for this?

Not only delayed fatigue, but delayed injury.
I'm still recovering from a tendonitis in my ankle that I developed at least a week AFTER returning from my last Camino.
Weird...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just an update - we made it to Finesterre just a few days after my original post, and all went extremely well. It is possible we were mildly dehydrated when I last wrote - we did embrace Spanish wine with each Pilgrim's meal. But, both CF and Finesterre turned out to be the experience of a lifetime, and I will forever be gratful.

C
Just an update - we made it to Finesterre just a few days after my original post, and all went extremely well. It is possible we were mildly dehydrated when I last wrote - we did embrace Spanish wine with each Pilgrim's meal. But, both CF and Finesterre turned out to be the experience of a lifetime, and I will forever be gratful.
Good job! Kind of sad at the same time, rest up you will be back.

[QUOTE=", but I have not seen anything that indicates there is such a rapid onset of degeneration without exercise. What is your source for this?[/QUOTE]

I walked for a couple of days with a masters degree physiotherapist, she explained two days was okay, three you start to lose muscle strength tone etc.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
[QUOTE=", but I have not seen anything that indicates there is such a rapid onset of degeneration without exercise. What is your source for this?

I walked for a couple of days with a masters degree physiotherapist, she explained two days was okay, three you start to lose muscle strength tone etc.
Thank you for responding. Your earlier post referred to muscle degeneration, not loss of muscle tone. Perhaps we have different understandings of what muscle degeneration actually means.

It was a time ago so cannot remember the details. Just that the muscles lose there fitness after 2 days.

Theres a whole cellular thing, slow twitch, fast twitch fibres mitochondria blah blah blah.... They break down.

there is also the psychological/emotional effect of knowing that your pilgrimage/journey is almost over and the return to 'normal' life imminent. Having recovered from 22 years of TMS - diagnosed as fibromyalgia, I now realise that our emotions play a far bigger part in body pain than I thought possible...
(look up tmswiki.com for more info if interested)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back