• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Reading the wind and back to other basics

mspath

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Instead of rushing to charge gps batteries perhaps we might re-learn and rely on traditional ways of reading the wind to know where we are spacially. This current New Yorker article, Finding the Way Back, by M.R.O'Connor cites several such approaches.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great article Margaret, thank you. Having been born on a farm in the west of Ireland we were tought to read the weather by our grandparents and parents. This was very important for planning the work ahead, sadly this has all died out. My grandkids sometimes look at me like I have too heads when I tell them it will rain because of the ring around the moon or because "it has the smell of rain" etc.
Its great to see these traditional methods of navigation being thought again.

Having been born on a farm in the west of Ireland we were tought to read the weather by our grandparents and parents.

Nice article! Thankfully in my home town (an island in the South of Brazil) many kids still learn how to read the wind and the tides. It may be lifesaving knowledge when you live near the sea!

I really did not see the necessity of a GPS in the Camino Frances. And used paper map only inside the cities. There was a funny episode - we passed by two young girls a few times along the day, and all the times they were ALWAYS looking at the phone. At some point we asked if they had any problems, and they said 'the map was just not quite right'.

We told them to follow the trail and keep the sun at their backs all the time, because they were going West. Their faces were like interrogation marks. Then we assured them that any time they felt 'the map was not right', they should walk with the sun at their backs. We were actually surprised that it sounded like a big discovery to anyone... Well, no judgements. They didn't know that, but I probably don't know how to operate a GPS :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great article Margaret, thank you. Having been born on a farm in the west of Ireland we were tought to read the weather by our grandparents and parents. This was very important for planning the work ahead, sadly this has all died out. My grandkids sometimes look at me like I have too heads when I tell them it will rain because of the ring around the moon or because "it has the smell of rain" etc.
Its great to see these traditional methods of navigation being thought again.
and I learned from a friend who is Lakota, that 'bears' tails' is what they call the cloud formations that swirl up at the end….rain coming within the week.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Instead of rushing to charge gps batteries perhaps we might re-learn and rely on traditional ways of reading the wind to know where we are spacially. This current New Yorker article, Finding the Way Back, by M.R.O'Connor cites several such approaches.
"Reading the wind" takes me back to when I was a young man living by the wild Atlantic coast of Galway,in the west of Ireland.I used to go fishing with an old local man called Dara.we fished for Mackrel which he would salt and box to sell in local markets during the harsh winter months.We always came home with a boat laden with fish and I'd ask Dara how he knew the exact spot in the mile wide bay to stop the boat and fish.His reply was "I listen to the wind,the wind speaks to me". The last time I saw Dara before I emigrated to England,I asked " tell me the secret of the wind"Dara laughed and said,"Mackerel is an oily fish,and when there are hundreds of them In a shoal weaving about under the water the oil floaats to the surface ,and I steer my boat into the wind until I can smell the oil,and that's how the wind speaks to me" Thank you for reviving memories of those long gone days.

The article talks about "analogue way-finding".

That's following the yellow arrows, is it? Works for me (most of the time ...).

The article talks about "analogue way-finding".

That's following the yellow arrows, is it? Works for me

Should work for most people, if they look to the Camino :D
Asking around also seems to be effective!

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Many of earth's rarer creatures are active before daylight :). Natural navigators might rely on such ancient adage as "moss grows on the north side of the tree"; well it does here north of the equator but the opposite applies for @dougfitz. Of course moss actually grows anywhere it finds a favourable environment so don't rely on that one in the middle of a forest. The advice "walk toward the sun / keep the sun behind you" will result in some fairly enjoyable but circular walks. Celestial navigation works, but it requires study and the acquisition of knowledge through effort and its about time sumbody came up wiv an app to sort it.

Ah, @philip a tobin , as a youth I worked as a flag boy above Lyme Bay. From up on the cliffs you could see the shoals and "flag" the boats onto them. I boosted my income (and my protein intake) on those days when the Dolphin drove the Mackerel inshore which drove the White-bait to the strand and we could scoop kilos of little fishes with a bucket full of holes from the surf. I'm feeling old now.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I really did not see the necessity of a GPS in the Camino Frances. And used paper map only inside the cities. There was a funny episode - we passed by two young girls a few times along the day, and all the times they were ALWAYS looking at the phone. At some point we asked if they had any problems, and they said 'the map was just not quite right'.

We told them to follow the trail and keep the sun at their backs all the time, because they were going West. Their faces were like interrogation marks. Then we assured them that any time they felt 'the map was not right', they should walk with the sun at their backs. We were actually surprised that it sounded like a big discovery to anyone... Well, no judgements. They didn't know that, but I probably don't know how to operate a GPS :D

Knowing how to "use" a GPS relies on more than just looking at the screen. You've also got to know how to interpret what it's telling you. Kids should learn more about map reading. The wind and how to use paper maps before using a GPS. if it's "not right", then it's likely user inability to read it properly.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Maps,
Sun on one,or other shoulder

Sun in eyes...no workee,
Sun,at back..same

Unless,you run 24hr clock,then my worthless tired hide could tell if it was dawn or dusk.
Some days the sap runs rich and powerful...
Can go for days just on life...

Some days..tired old bones,tired old eyes cant hold map, cant read..fall asleep standing on hind feet.

To walk again with the muses
Angels to hold me up
As i walk on through the silent nite,with the river of stars to shine the way home
I wonder if Saint Iago ever walked until the greeted day summoned him to bower.

I went to a talk by the Tristan Gooley quoted in the article. His book is incredibly interesting and has resulted in me being far more observant than I was previously. It is filled with a plethora of natural signs and the way to decode and understand them. I feel far more confident with or without a map now!
'The Walker's Guide to Outdoor Clues and signs' by Tristan Gooley. 2014.
ISBN 978-1-444-78008-6

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.