• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Planning Levante for 2015

@KinkyOne I don't have problems with stones and because they breathe beter I don't always take them off - in fact during the last leg of the Levante never. Even in the sumner I have been know to do 30 + km stages without doing so.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Few minutes ago I received notice and photo from my walking partner-to-be that she had broken her leg :( I guess I'm on my own again. No problem with that whatsoever but I was preparing to share usual Camino things for three weeks to Toledo and now..., feeling kind of lost... I'll be OK but if anyone would like to share Levante and/or Sanabres with me (male, 45yo) take this as an invitation :)

A propos - I already changed reservation for double bed room in Pension Paris in Valencia. Vanessa responded within a minute. For future pilgrims - single bed room price is 22€ (taxes incl.).

Because "Granja La Peira" (35€ double) in Benifaio is at least 3kms off the Camino I've made reservation in Hotel Isabel (34€ double) in Almussafes but will change it now. Current price for single is 29€ which I find a bit over my budget. I'm thinking to stay in Pension Puerto in Silla as did @nalod . Price got up a little bit from 18€ to 21,63€. Also I'll get a bit more balanced stages at the beginning especially because I want to walk coast to coast and therefore start on the beach in Valencia which adds some 5kms to the first stage.

Well, so far so good. In Pension Paris right now, after 3 hours nap (I left home at 3AM). Vanessa, the owner, is very nice and the place wasn't hard to find. El Corte Ingles with large supermercado 100mts away, opened until Sat-10PM and Sun-9PM, great.

Off to a phone tienda now, to solve Wi-fi and then find a bar with large TV screen to watch Euro Cup Championship Finals: Barcelona vs. Juventus. Later a concert in Ciutat Vella at Corpus Christi festivities.
Ahm, I've never seen so many beautiful women in such a short time period (getting from airport to center and walked a few blocks) anywhere in all my stays in Spain, asI did today in Valencia :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh kinky, so sorry to hear this. I know you'll be fine but it's a long walk and I really hope you meet some others. What I did on day one was walk to Silla and then train back to Valencia to Paris. Then train again the next day. But you might not like that style. :)

I'm alone on the st. Jaume, Girona tomorrow. But next Saturday I will meet up with LT and I'm very glad about that. Fingers crossed that you will meet some others. Buen camino

Oh kinky, so sorry to hear this. I know you'll be fine but it's a long walk and I really hope you meet some others. What I did on day one was walk to Silla and then train back to Valencia to Paris. Then train again the next day. But you might not like that style. :):)

I'm alone on the st. Jaume, Girona tomorrow. But next Saturday I will meet up with LT and I'm very glad about that. Fingers crossed that you will meet some others. Buen camino
No big deal for me to walk alone, I was just so much prepared for company in my head and now feeling kind of lost :)

I have reservation in hotel in Silla on Monday because I'll start at the sea and that adds some 5kms. Also all day on tarmac and pavements, I don't want to get blisters etc. The price is the same as in Pension Paris - 22€.

Good luck kinkyone careful of surface for first few days, hard on legs. Enjoy a lovely journey, don't forget to have a meal in Milan 1 in San Clemente, also if you are hitting Albacate at weekend book ahead. Have you a blog or will you post as you walk.
Dermot

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good luck kinkyone careful of surface for first few days, hard on legs. Enjoy a lovely journey, don't forget to have a meal in Milan 1 in San Clemente, also if you are hitting Albacate at weekend book ahead. Have you a blog or will you post as you walk.
Dermot
Thank you, Dermot!
I plan to walk 18km to Silla, 22km to Algemesi, 25km to Xativa, 26km to Moixent and then short day of 15km to La Font de la Figuera. I guess I'll be in shape by then and out of tarmac.

I don't have a vlog so I will post here and there as I go and post detailed journal when back from Spain.

I just discovered that I can't get Peter Robins GPS of the route on my phone due to some error. This will be interesting Camino :D

Forget about gps too much trouble seeing the screen in strong sun, if you go a couple kms of course so what!!, it is still a journey. In my opinion if you can eat and find a bed then you are not lost. Your plan for the first five days is exactly what I done. Xativa is about 30km. The albergue in Algemesi is nice you will prob have to get keys in Police local which is quite a distance from albergue, if you speak SPANIS PHONE AND THEY MIGHT MEET YOU AT aLBERGUE.
The albergue in Xativa is overpriced e18 but good location, nice town get very hot weather. The casa rural Corral in Moxient 21 plus 9.30 for dinner. Very nice room and nice place others criticised dinner I found it good, breakfast is around 3.5. The abergue in La Font IS NICE, LOOKS LIKE A PUBLIC TOILET FFROM OUTSide. Nice winery opposite.
Dermot

Forget about gps too much trouble seeing the screen in strong sun, if you go a couple kms of course so what!!, it is still a journey. In my opinion if you can eat and find a bed then you are not lost. Your plan for the first five days is exactly what I done. Xativa is about 30km. The albergue in Algemesi is nice you will prob have to get keys in Police local which is quite a distance from albergue, if you speak SPANIS PHONE AND THEY MIGHT MEET YOU AT aLBERGUE.
The albergue in Xativa is overpriced e18 but good location, nice town get very hot weather. The casa rural Corral in Moxient 21 plus 9.30 for dinner. Very nice room and nice place others criticised dinner I found it good, breakfast is around 3.5. The abergue in La Font IS NICE, LOOKS LIKE A PUBLIC TOILET FFROM OUTSide. Nice winery opposite.
Dermot
Hahaha. So true Dermot. That's exactly what it looks like!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dermot
I thought I'd stay at El Cigroner in Xativa. 19€ and nice place as I've seen on internet. Otherwise I'm very much on a budget and don't exclude a night or two on a "bench" or similar.
In Moixent I plan to stay in MUNI albergue.
I might be a control "grem" when preparing for Camino, but once there I just let it go ;)

Don't know about the place in Xativa but it has to be better value thanAlbergue Turisto El Palacy. Yes you will save money in Moixent with the muni albergue. So much to look forward to, enjoy it all.

Is there now an albergue in Moixent? My French buddies slept in the Cruz Roja and politely said it was "basic."

If you have time and energy, go up to the castle at Xativa. I've seen a lot of castles in my day, but this one is really spectacular. Pavement all the way to Mooxent, kinky, be careful.

If you arrive in Algemesi when the Museum of folklore is open, which is right across the street from the albergue, you can get the keys there.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I thought I'd stay at El Cigroner in Xativa. 19€ and nice place as I've seen on internet. Otherwise I'm very much on a budget and don't exclude a night or two on a "bench" or similar.
In Moixent I plan to stay in MUNI albergue.
I might be a control "grem" when preparing for Camino, but once there I just let it go ;)
Hola, K1! I've been quiet for months now, trying to get in shape and wait until I had done some homework on my own before I start asking lots of questions. I'll be following you in August for the last half of the journey, so I'm eagerly drinking in everything you have to say! I hope I can adopt your style of being super-conscientious before I start, and then just go with whatever happens on the Camino. It's my first.... I have butterflies already! Praying that you have an awesome experience!

Kinky,

Here's a long winded comment that will eventually relate to the Levante. Yesterday in my way to Sant Feliu, I went passed shat I think was called "pau de glac" (ice palace in Catalan). It's essentially a round stone tower with no top. Before refrigeration, villagers used to haul snow there and pile it up so they'd have ice long after winter was over. I have been trying to remember where I saw another one of those on a camino and I just had a flash today and I think it's on the "forest route" down from the castle in xativa. So if you happen to see it will you take a picture?My memory is that it was enormous and it was hard to believe that an area like that could ever have received enough snow to fill it up. Locals told me it never snows anymore.

Buen camino from L'Esquirol, where I arrived in my Hostal literally a couple of minutes before a torrential downpour!

Is there now an albergue in Moixent? My French buddies slept in the Cruz Roja and politely said it was "basic."

If you have time and energy, go up to the castle at Xativa. I've seen a lot of castles in my day, but this one is really spectacular. Pavement all the way to Mooxent, kinky, be careful.

If you arrive in Algemesi when the Museum of folklore is open, which is right across the street from the albergue, you can get the keys there.
I have just acommodate myself in MUNI in Algemesi. Thought the museum would still be opened (and it should've been according to horrario) but no. I called Policia Local and waited one hour for a guy on a scooter to show up. With keys but no sello... So tomorrow I'll have to deal with that too.

Yesterday from the coast at Playa de les Arenes to cathedral was 7km and to Silla another 19,4km. Guidebooks lying again about distances. Twisted ankle twice but immediatelly took Diclofenaco & Ibuprofeno and was good today.
Silla to Algemesi albergue was 26,95km. But I'm twice as tired as yesterday. Just straight tarmac. Maybe two blisters are developing.
Thinking of going only to Manuel tomorrow (spend some more time in Alzira) and very short stage to Xativa the day after.
We'll see :)

I meant refugio in Moixent.

I''ll do my best to get you the required photo.

Take care and enjoy your Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola, K1! I've been quiet for months now, trying to get in shape and wait until I had done some homework on my own before I start asking lots of questions. I'll be following you in August for the last half of the journey, so I'm eagerly drinking in everything you have to say! I hope I can adopt your style of being super-conscientious before I start, and then just go with whatever happens on the Camino. It's my first.... I have butterflies already! Praying that you have an awesome experience!
Hi!
I won't write much while on the way. But my autumn posted journal with photos etc.will be too late for you. Where and when will you start?

Hi kinky. Take it slow on that asphalt. At least the temperatures have dropped so that should be some help.

Certainly I'm not asking you to hunt for something I'm not completely sure is in Xativa anyway. :) Just if you're out and about and happen to see an unusual structure, you'll know what it is.

Hope you have a good day. Buen camino, Laurie.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Laurie and Kinky1,
Thinking of you on your travels! Have great Caminos both!
Pam

There's a typo there. Pau=peace Palace=palau

Enjoy your walks Laurie and KinkyOne.

So Castilian, you speak Catalan too! Maybe you can help me find the right word. I don't think the word was Palau so that must mean that it's not " ice palace". Do you have any idea what the word might be? I thought I heard someone say pau and I thought that meant palace. Oops. I know the other word was "glac" (no way to put a cedilla on that c, but it's pronounced like an s at the end). Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I thought I heard someone say pau and I thought that meant palace. Oops. I know the other word was "glac" (no way to put a cedilla on that c, but it's pronounced like an s at the end). Thanks!

Could the first word have been "pou", which means "well"? "ice well" might make sense. [I don't speak Catalan, but lived for a while in southern France, and the langue d'Oc sounds quite similar]

So Castilian, you speak Catalan too!

That's (way too) generous on your part. I've never studied Catalan and all the Catalan I understand is the result of hearing and reading Catalan on my visits to Catalonia (some Latin knowledge from my high school years helps too). I understand written and spoken Catalan well enough (or so I think) although sometimes I miss some words. OTOH, I just speak some Catalan.

P.S.: It seems I'm a box of surprises for you... Let's see what's next!
P.S.(2): Pau, in Catalan, also means Paul.

Do you have any idea what the word might be?

@alansykes provided the right answer: Pou. BTW, pictures of it can be found on the web of the town hall:

www.santfeliudepallerols.cat/seccions.asp?ids=106&idp=75

no way to put a cedilla on that c

If you are using a Spanish keyboard, the ç (keyboard) key it's the second (keyboard) key to right from the ñ (keyboard) key.

Last edited by a moderator:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
You guys are great. Thanks so much.
I guess that means I don't have to go there, Laurie? ;)
I'm alone in Albergue Juvenil Casa Cigroner, doublebed room for 19€, treat from hospitalero!
Very nice and same street as Palau.

Yesterday in Manuel had to sleep at abandoned railway station because alcalde no longer allow pilgrims to sleep at Polideportivo. Bummer!

Distances in guides sucks. In 4 days I gained 21,4kms to estimated. That's one very nice stage added. But somehow happy for approx.10% of gravel/earth tracks thrown in between all those tarmac.
Tomorrow hopefully to Moixent.

I thought my walking pace had slowed a bit on the Levente but it seems that I just have walked further. I was using the distances in the book. It now seems that myself and my 80 yr old companion walked 44km one day., we had hoped to get a train for his sake but that fell through.
Dermot

In Moixent today, in Cruz Roja refugio, not really clean, but when on budget - there you have it.
Nice guy (who's also gay :)) gave me the password for their Wi-fi. And I have a room mate from Valencia!
Anyway, some very pretty gravel stretches today, 32kms from Xativa albergue to Casa Consistorial here, under burning 32C sun. No blisters though and that amazes me :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi kinky

LTfit and I send greetings from Linyola. The camino before Montserrat was beautiful, this part less so. Today we are in an "acogida de peregrinos" that would give the Cruz Roja in Moixent a run for its money. In fact Lee says they are about the same. I had no Casa rural to run to like I did in Moixent, so I am toughening up! Long etapas, and I am currently icing my shins. So glad you have some company. Laurie

Hi kinky

LTfit and I send greetings from Linyola. The camino before Montserrat was beautiful, this part less so. Today we are in an "acogida de peregrinos" that would give the Cruz Roja in Moixent a run for its money. In fact Lee says they are about the same. I had no Casa rural to run to like I did in Moixent, so I am toughening up! Long etapas, and I am currently icing my shins. So glad you have some company. Laurie
Hola, peregrinas ;)

Well, both yours and Moixent acogidas can't match the one in Higueruela, that's sure, hahaha.
I'm on my own again. Yesterday Michael pushed to Higueruela and I opted for Alpera. Glad I did that. Although Camino becoming more and more to my taste.
Take care and regards to Lee also!

PS (Reading your blog I was wondering what you eat/drink/etc. to walk such distances. Amazing. Be nice to Lee ;))

Good to hear from you Kinky. Re Higueruela myself and my companion stayed there at the end of April no problem, any more than two probably would be a problem. If you just want somewhere to stay and no cooking it's fine, we are pilgrims. Dermot

Good to hear from you Kinky. Re Higueruela myself and my companion stayed there at the end of April no problem, any more than two probably would be a problem. If you just want somewhere to stay and no cooking it's fine, we are pilgrims. Dermot
Hi, Dermot!
Very nice day for walking today. But after 14km to Hoya Gonzalo (9km in guide) I had no special wish to accumulate more than 30km to Chinchilla. Therefore decided to try new albergue here for 10€. What a gem. Still has the smell of fresh wood. Large dining room with fully equiped kitchenette, sofa, table for 10, WC.
On 1st floor two dormitories, each with 4 bunkbeds (towels & sheets, night lamp and electric socket for each of them), lockers. Each dormitory has bathroom with 3 wash basins, showers and toilets. one of bathrooms has exit to the terrace.
Bar and swimming pool across the street...
;)

DSC_0642p (1024x685).jpg
Hi, Dermot!
Very nice day for walking today. But after 14km to Hoya Gonzalo (9km in guide) I had no special wish to accumulate more than 30km to Chinchilla. Therefore decided to try new albergue here for 10€. What a gem. Still has the smell of fresh wood. Large dining room with fully equiped kitchenette, sofa, table for 10, WC.
On 1st floor two dormitories, each with 4 bunkbeds (towels & sheets, night lamp and electric socket for each of them), lockers. Each dormitory has bathroom with 3 wash basins, showers and toilets. one of bathrooms has exit to the terrace.
Bar and swimming pool across the street...
;)
It's not a bad life!!
I for you I attach a photograph of a place you passed by early this morning.

Greetings from Algerri! Don't worry we only walked 32 km today Kinky.
We are now in an albergue above the jubilados hang-out in a whole-in-a-wall town. We thought yesterday's town was quiet, but here there is not even a town square. We had lunch in a restaurant next to the gas station.
Tomorrow we leave Catalunya and enter Aragon.
Laurie is behaving don't worry.
Un abrazo LT

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Today me and @roberbolo (he drove down from Toledo) met in La Puebla de Almoradiel. Two rounds, that was the time he has got. Sadly because he's great companion, has a lot of knowledge regarding Caminoing and also speaks great English! Thanks, bolo ;)

Why am I posting this? You'll find out after almost three weeks of walking in solitude. Which is great, but..., you know :)

Ultreia!

Hi kinky. Come join us!! LT and I are in Sanguesa, two days outside Puente la Reina, and we are considering all our options. Looks like we won't be doing out three days in Valle del Silencio because of heat and distance. We will probably just stretch out the Invierno for a couple of days but if you have s better idea let is know!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi kinky. Come join us!! LT and I are in Sanguesa, two days outside Puente la Reina, and we are considering all our options. Looks like we won't be doing out three days in Valle del Silencio because of heat and distance. We will probably just stretch out the Invierno for a couple of days but if you have s better idea let is know!
Hola, chicas ;)

When I read your blog, Laurie, I'm well aware that I belong to a third league regarding distances. We could walk together maybe for one or two etapas and then I would fall out :)
Thanks for invitation though!

Had some troubles with my mobile phone battery and my camera. Due to the heat I think. Because of mentioned I started at 11AM from Villacanas and those 20kms to Tembleque were by far the hardest all because of heat. LOCO!!!

Writing this in A Posada for 30€ and is excellent experience!

Wish you both well whatever route option you will choose!

Ultreia!

Hola kinky. You will be very happy to know that I sm slowing down. I'm going to be looking at your invierno stages to see where I might be able to cut those 40+ stages. Because of the heat, we are going to skip the Valle del Silencio, so that gives us two more days for the Invierno.

Hoping the heat drops off a bit. We are one day out of Puente la Reina in Monreal and it is sweltering. We try to leave no later than 6 to avoid the worst of it. LT likes the heat and the long distances so I am the wet blanket on her party.

Tomorrow the weather forecast is for 40 degrees. Great. 32 km to puente la Reina.

We will not walk on Wednesday since we'll be heading from Pamplona to Ponferrada.

Last edited:
Hola kinky. You will be very happy to know that I sm slowing down. I'm going to be looking at your invierno stages to see where I might be able to cut those 40+ stages. Because of the heat, we are going to skip the Valle del Silencio, so that gives us two more days for the Invierno.

Hoping the heat drops off a bit. We are one day out of Puente la Reina in Monreal and it is sweltering. We try to leave no later than 6 to avoid the worst of it. LT likes the heat and the long distances so I am the wet blanket on her party.

Tomorrow the weather forecast is for 40 degrees. Great. 32 km to puente la Reina.

We will not walk on Wednesday since we'll be heading from Pamplona to Ponferrada.
It will be interesting to see how you two will cut the stages :D

I'm in Mora today and just couldn't walked whole stage. Was totally stoned from the heat and hitch-hiked second part. Even now at 8PM we still have 39℃!
Yesterday and today I drank about 15 liters of luquid and was at the toilet only 5 times. I sweat it all out...
Also thinking of skipping Toledo - Avila stretch to avoid some heat. Could do this another time in combination with Manchego to Toledo and Teresiano from Avila to Salamanca and Torres from there. Will have to decide by Friday.

Buen Camino to both of you!

Hello KinyOne, your in Mora today. Getting some severe heat. Interested to hear what you think of Toledo. I felt it was overrun by tourists, if you are there mid week it might not be too bad, I was there on Mayday weekend. It would be fine to go there as a Tourist but coming off a very lone Camino route there were too many people with selfie sticks prodding their way through narrow streets. I walked from Mora to Toledo long haul. I hope your drinking more than water,

Regards Dermot

Hello KinyOne, your in Mora today. Getting some severe heat. Interested to hear what you think of Toledo. I felt it was overrun by tourists, if you are there mid week it might not be too bad, I was there on Mayday weekend. It would be fine to go there as a Tourist but coming off a very lone Camino route there were too many people with selfie sticks prodding their way through narrow streets. I walked from Mora to Toledo long haul. I hope your drinking more than water,

Regards Dermot
Hahaha, definitely drinking more than just water. But the heat is ridiculous, the sky without any clouds and IF there is any wind it's so hot that only gets worse...
I have some technical problems (smartphone battery, Canon camera Error99) that I hope to deal with in Toledo. Or, of which I'm more and more certain every hour, going to Madrid and then to Avila by train. Five ℃ less in Avila than here and I managed some 32, 35 and 39km stages until now in up to 35℃.
And also that would put me back on my schedule. Very sorry for skipping anything or busing etc., though, but what's too much is simply too much.

If your camera has a detachable lens take it off and put it back on again (in a dust free area). But error 99 is very general.
Dermot

If your camera has a detachable lens take it off and put it back on again (in a dust free area). But error 99 is very general.
Dermot
Yes it has, it's an old Canon EOS 300D. I tried every trick from internet to solve this but the problem is in my 18-55mm lens because I can work with 90-300mm with no problem.

Hi k1.

We are in Pamplona and its hot. At least if you think 40 Celsius is hot. LT is in the albergue and I bailed to a hotel I had dreams of sleeping in till 9 but the fast train at 1 pm is sold out. So we take the slow train at 8:30. Tomorrow we reunite with reb in Ponferrads and will figure out our stages on the Invierno.

Hi k1.

We are in Pamplona and its hot. At least if you think 40 Celsius is hot. LT is in the albergue and I bailed to a hotel I had dreams of sleeping in till 9 but the fast train at 1 pm is sold out. So we take the slow train at 8:30. Tomorrow we reunite with reb in Ponferrads and will figure out our stages on the Invierno.
Well, Laurie, 40 is definitely hot and prognosed 42 for next few days around Toledo even more. That's why I'm very seriously considering of skipping Toledo-Avila stretch..

My regards to Rebekah!

But the heat is ridiculous, the sky without any clouds and IF there is any wind it's so hot that only gets worse...

The sky without any clouds is very Castilian (not just in summer). The ridiculous heat... well, there's a famous saying: in Castile there are 9 months of winter and 3 of hell... Lack of wind isn't (too) rare in summer... I guess you'll have to come back to this camino to walk it in more enjoyable weather conditions... It might be in summer (not all summer is a hot weave as now) but I'm not sure if you'll be willing to risk it.

P.S.: The meseta area North of the Central System is (usually) less hot than the meseta area South of it but you can still find temperatures well above 35ºC (i.e.: in the -very- high 30's).

I feel like an eavesdropper in this thread as I have nothing useful to contribute - but I'm really enjoying all the posts! Thank you all and Buen Camino @KinkyOne, @peregrina2000 and @LTfit.

@KinkyOne if you're bored and desperate for reading material this evening, you might enjoy this little article about an Irish man and his beloved R4 http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...renault-4-was-more-than-a-car-to-me-1.2263076
Oh yes, long live the R4 ;)
Lovely story, much alike my own. I have about a dozen pics of R4's from this walk and will post them after return.

Because of the predicted 40℃ and above near Toledo yesterday I finally decided to hop forward to Avila. Bus to Madrid (Plaza Eliptica), metro to Estacion Sur and bus to Avila costs 14,80€. But, oh boy, the air-condition on these buses... I was sure I'll catch cold.

What a change in air temperature... In Toledo it was still 37℃ at 11PM, in Avila it was 23℃ :D Lovely evening with pasta for dinner prepared together with Italian peregrina.

So today is to be a bit touristy day and tomorrow off to Gotarrendura.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi kinky. Good to hear from you.

Glad you are doing better. Well you're just going to have to return as Castilian says -- the days in the mountains before Avila are themselves worth the price of admission. Nice that you have some company, too.

I just had a nice short walk from Barco to A Rua and am having a proper cafe con leche in a cafe. What luxury!

Because of the predicted 40℃ and above near Toledo yesterday I finally decided to hop forward to Avila. Bus to Madrid (Plaza Eliptica), metro to Estacion Sur and bus to Avila costs 14,80€. But, oh boy, the air-condition on these buses... I was sure I'll catch cold.

What a change in air temperature... In Toledo it was still 37℃ at 11PM, in Avila it was 23℃ :D Lovely evening with pasta for dinner prepared together with Italian peregrina.

So today is to be a bit touristy day and tomorrow off to Gotarrendura.

Good call @KinkyOne, walking in 40℃ would not be pleasant. Buen Camino.

Hi kinky. Good to hear from you.

Glad you are doing better. Well you're just going to have to return as Castilian says -- the days in the mountains before Avila are themselves worth the price of admission. Nice that you have some company, too.

I just had a nice short walk from Barco to A Rua and am having a proper cafe con leche in a cafe. What luxury!
Hi, Laurie!
I wondered how come you are posting at 10AM :) Now I know.

This skipped stretch fits perfectly into one of my future Camino combo's, right between Manchego and Teresiano, so no bad feelings on my side.

My regards to Lee and of course Asun & Manuela ;)

€60,-
Hi, Laurie!
I wondered how come you are posting at 10AM :) Now I know.

This skipped stretch fits perfectly into one of my future Camino combo's, right between Manchego and Teresiano, so no bad feelings on my side.

My regards to Lee and of course Asun & Manuela ;)

Kinky I don't know where you find all these Caminos but you are always giving me new ideas for more and more caminos. I've never even heard of these two!

Asun has already sent many hugs to you and remembers you with great fondness. Mañuela is now 92 and unchanged since my last visit. In my first ten minutes with her she exuded more energy and vitality than most people half her age.

Rebekah will arrive on the train tonight and we'll set off for Quiroga tomorrow. Heating up again but predictions are mid 30s "only".

Kinky I don't know where you find all these Caminos but you are always giving me new ideas for more and more caminos. I've never even heard of these two!

Asun has already sent many hugs to you and remembers you with great fondness. Mañuela is now 92 and unchanged since my last visit. In my first ten minutes with her she exuded more energy and vitality than most people half her age.

Rebekah will arrive on the train tonight and we'll set off for Quiroga tomorrow. Heating up again but predictions are mid 30s "only".
Ah, Laurie, so many Caminos to walk ;)

Manchego is from Ciudad Real to Toledo, Teresiano from Avila to Salamanca and from there I would continue on Torres and connect with Portugues. I didn't really dog into these but I guess in few years the time will be just right with some more infrastructure.

I remember walk to Quiroga very well and althought much of it on asphalt was definitely one of my most enjoyable on Invierno.

Buen Camino!

Kinky, you are well-loved and well remembered here on the Invierno. We can feel the warmth as soon as we mention your name!!!
Thank you, Laurie!
Reading your blog that ought to be señor compadre whose name I unfortunatelly forgot, the owner of Hostal As Viñas. I
too have very fond memories about my stay there and our 3 hours long night talk on social, financial etc. European issues.
But I wonder how you manage to get them to remember me because in Spain I'm not really known by my nickname ;) Rather like Sebastian, which is more international for my Slavic Boštjan...

Buen Camino to you & Reb!

Today me and @roberbolo (he drove down from Toledo) met in La Puebla de Almoradiel. Two rounds, that was the time he has got. Sadly because he's great companion, has a lot of knowledge regarding Caminoing and also speaks great English! Thanks, bolo ;)

Why am I posting this? You'll find out after almost three weeks of walking in solitude. Which is great, but..., you know :)

Ultreia!
My pleasure of course! I learnt a lot from you and additionally had fun, so... Perfect afternoon!
It was a pity not to have more time to share due to my job's issues but I am sure that there will be a re-round :p:p.

Ultreia!!!!
(keep my number just in case you need anything)

I came to Zamora yesterday and did some calculations on distance walked on Levante.

From the guidebooks and internet sources I got total of 730kms from Valencia to Zamora. I skipped Toledo - Avila part (140kms) so the distance I actually walked should've been 590kms. But my Endomondo GPS track shows me 750kms!!!
That's 160kms more and even 20kms more than whole route on paper!?

Anyone with similar experiences?

Hi again Sebastian (sorry for not trying to type your name in your Mother language but I dont know if my keyboard allows it)
It is very weird, since there are about 600 kms from Valencia to Zamora. May your software have any bug or something in that way?
There is quite normal (as you know since you used to go to the mountain) to have a slight difference between distance from A to B without altitude that with it but, no reason to have such a big difference.
I would un-and-re-install the software making a backup copy of the current data.

Ultreia!!

Ps: Tomorrow I travel to Oviedo to Start my Camino, will keep you up to date.

Hi again Sebastian (sorry for not trying to type your name in your Mother language but I dont know if my keyboard allows it)
It is very weird, since there are about 600 kms from Valencia to Zamora. May your software have any bug or something in that way?
There is quite normal (as you know since you used to go to the mountain) to have a slight difference between distance from A to B without altitude that with it but, no reason to have such a big difference.
I would un-and-re-install the software making a backup copy of the current data.

Ultreia!!

Ps: Tomorrow I travel to Oviedo to Start my Camino, will keep you up to date.
Huh, Roberto, I doubt there's a bug in my app. Last year happened almost the same on Madrid & Invierno, but on CF the results were very close to Brierley's guidebook. Therefore I assumed that the problem is either in:
a) measuring the distances via air, not counting all the curves and bends on the route or
b) which I'm sure is at least the major part of the answer, measuring the distances from end if a village to the beginning of the next one. But most of the small villages on Levante were up to 1km in lenght. So that is missing in most measurments, whereas Brierley has distances from "Albergue X" to "Fuente Y" not just from one poblacion to another.

Have Buen Camino Primitivo, amigo! :)

Last year I walked from England to Astorga and then followed the Plata south to Seville. On the way I met several people who had walked the Levante; they gave good reports. I plan to fly to Valencia in late September. Anyone else planning to walk at that time?

Thanks for all the comments on here, you are all helping my research greatly!

€60,-
Hello el ciervo armarillo, Laurie's notes are excellent and also even though it is heavy the amigos book, I left the separate maps at home and also tore everything past Zamora (there is an online plata guide that you can print, it is lighter). The first four days are very hard on the legs due to the surface, be ultra careful there.

I have a special photographic section on my website of the Levante (for technical reasons they are not in geographical sequence) this is a direct link http://www.caminogallery.com/gallery/?id=36&area=9 also I have a section on my blog, it will give you a feel for what it is like http://www.dermotdolan.blogspot.ie/2015/06/recent-spanish-trip-camino-de-levante.html
I hope that might be of some use to you.

Kinkyone, Laurie and the rest your messages have me so excited, bought my ticket to Madrid last night I will book with Hostal Paris after Christmas. Again Thanks :rolleyes:

Also catching up with Donavan from Melbourne who walked it early this year for plenty of Info and answers to questions.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Kinkyone, Laurie and the rest your messages have me so excited, bought my ticket to Madrid last night I will book with Hostal Paris after Christmas. Again Thanks :rolleyes:
Gerat news, Trevorcc! When are you walking?

Maybe it's too late for this, but I found that it didn't add more than a few dollars to add the Madrid - Valencia flight onto my international ticket. The metro from Valencia to the airport is great, and within four hours after arrival into Madrid, I was in central VAlencia, which is a VERY nice town. Try to get out to see Calatrava-land (an area of town with five or six Calatrava buildings, at least two of which are the source of current litigation brought by the city against the architecht, but they are amazing to walk around).

Buen camino, Laurie

Gerat news, Trevorcc! When are you walking?

Maybe it's too late for this, but I found that it didn't add more than a few dollars to add the Madrid - Valencia flight onto my international ticket. The metro from Valencia to the airport is great, and within four hours after arrival into Madrid, I was in central VAlencia, which is a VERY nice town. Try to get out to see Calatrava-land (an area of town with five or six Calatrava buildings, at least two of which are the source of current litigation brought by the city against the architecht, but they are amazing to walk around).

Buen camino, Laurie
Not to late, I did think of flying into Valencia. I arrive about 9am in the morning into Madrid so I have time and intend to spend 3 nights before walking that should give me time to get my head straight after flying from OZ and I can get to the Cathedral for mass on Sunday. I will be asking a lot of questions from you and K1 prior. If you are in Santiago when I arrive I would like to catchup for a vino..again Thanks

Dear Levante walkers... I've read through this thread this morning and I just wanted to say thanks to all who contributed! I have booked out 4 weeks in spring 2018 (I know it's a long way off but I have to plan ahead :) ) I'm torn between the Portuguese and the Levante... I want to see fields of wild flowers! I'm planning on leaving around the last week of April and this thread has really pushed me towards the Levante... so thanks!

(p.s. I think this route is perfect for me... but I dont like to walk totally alone and this worries me a little)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dear Levante walkers... I've read through this thread this morning and I just wanted to say thanks to all who contributed! I have booked out 4 weeks in spring 2018 (I know it's a long way off but I have to plan ahead :) ) I'm torn between the Portuguese and the Levante... I want to see fields of wild flowers! I'm planning on leaving around the last week of April and this thread has really pushed me towards the Levante... so thanks!

(p.s. I think this route is perfect for me... but I dont like to walk totally alone and this worries me a little)

Far be it from me to discourage someone from walking a camino I love but in the spirit of full disclosure, before Trevor aborted his Camino de Levante because of the heat, he noted that the albergue (in Algemesi, I think) had had 14 pilgrims over the last three months. So it is very likely that you will be very much alone. Or you could be lucky like I was and meet two French pilgrims on day 3 and walk with them the whole way into Santiago. Good luck with the decision LesBrass.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/trevorcc-on-the-levante.43008

Far be it from me to discourage someone from walking a camino I love but in the spirit of full disclosure, before Trevor aborted his Camino de Levante because of the heat, he noted that the albergue (in Algemesi, I think) had had 14 pilgrims over the last three months. So it is very likely that you will be very much alone. Or you could be lucky like I was and meet two French pilgrims on day 3 and walk with them the whole way into Santiago. Good luck with the decision LesBrass.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/trevorcc-on-the-levante.43008

I appreciate the full disclosure :) Everything I've read suggests that very few people walk this route and this is a big worry for me. It's not that I mind walking alone but day after day after day wouldn't be ideal for me (although perfect for some)... and it's not that I want crowds, but a few familiar faces would be nice.

This route speaks to me for sure... your photos helped a lot too! but I do wonder if it is one that I have to put on hold until my husband can spare 4 weeks in Spring and we can walk it together.. he would love the small towns and the history.

I have plenty of time to ponder or find a walking buddy... but I have booked out four weeks from the work calendar which is a very positive thing and suggests that spring flowers will be part of my 2018 camino :)

It may ever so slightly different this year. Thus far, based on comments in these forums, I know of seven people leaving Valencia in early April for the Levante.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back