• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camí Català from Barcelona to Monserrat

LTfit

Veteran Member
I will be meeting up with Laurie @peregrina2000 in Monserrat and will continue on the Camí via Huesca and San Juan de la Peña to join the Aragónes. My original plan was to stay two nights in the albergue de peregrinos in Monserrat (first night free, next night €10), visit Barcelona and then meet up with Laurie when she arrives. As I visited Barcelona for a week a while back I am now thinking about walking from Barcelona to Monserrat and skip the first night in Monserrat.

Is there anyone out there that has walked from Barcelong to Monserrat? Pros and cons?
I will now write to the Amics in Barcelona to ask their opinion but wanted to also check in here.

Cheers

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In the meantime I have found that there are three routes from Barcelona to Monserrat. One goes through the valley and the other two through the sierra de Collserola via Sant Cugat and Terrassa. One of these routes is the GR6 and the other is a camino with yellow arrows from the Amics of Terrassa. Hmmm

Has anyone done one of these routes? @peregrina2000 Laurie, do you know anyone? Will also ask a Camino friend who lives in Sant Cugat.

Here is the Spanish description from Gronze: http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-san...-santiago-de-barcelona-montserrat/informacion
croquis-barcelona.jpg

In the meantime I have found that there are three routes from Barcelona to Monserrat. One goes through the valley and the other two through the sierra de Collserola via Sant Cugat and Terrassa. One of these routes is the GR6 and the other is a camino with yellow arrows from the Amics of Terrassa. Hmmm

Has anyone done one of these routes? @peregrina2000 Laurie, do you know anyone? Will also ask a Camino friend who lives in Sant Cugat.

Here is the Spanish description from Gronze: http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-san...-santiago-de-barcelona-montserrat/informacion
croquis-barcelona.jpg

Hi, LT,
I don´t have any experience or information about this section. I have asked a couple of Spanish pilgrims I know to see what they say -- let us know what you hear from the Amics.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Didn't Tia walk this route a couple of years back? Somebody did because I remember when I was considering it. I'll check my files to see if I saved the notes.

Just sent Laurie a PM, but thought I'd post it here too. I have a bunch of "stuff" on my computer about the route going through Montserrat. I'm not sure what's good and what isn't but I'm happy to send it all to you if you can give me your email address. It includes guidebooks and notes from other walkers, I think and perhaps info copied from websites.

Hi, LT,
Got this info from someone in the BCN association.

The camino from BArcelona to Montserrat begins at the velódromo (small air field) of Horta, next to the Parque del Laberinto. The first arrows are there. You'll cross the Sierra de Collserola going by the ermita of San Medir and the Can Borrell restaurant till you get to San Cugat. In San Cugat, go by the monastery and then to Las Fonts de Terrassa, Ullastrell, Olessa de Montserrat, Esparraguera, Collbató. Then up the mountain to Montserrat.

It is well marked and you shouldn't have any problem.

Let me know what you decide to do! Buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you all muchly for the info on walking from Barcelona to Monsterrat!

I'll be there in two weeks time roughly. Yous may well catch up with me haha!

Hi @Anniesantiago @peregrina2000 @Marti93

I've definitely decided to walk from Barcelona on June 12. It's 56 km to Monserrat. Stage 1: Bcn-Sant Cugat-Terrassa 33 km and 2: Terrassa-Montserrat 24 km (steep uphill!)

The GR 6 follows the route as explained by Laurie. I believe that I will take the other route explained in detail in Gronze (see above link) which leaves from la Plaça de Sant Jaume in the Barri Gòtic and marked by the Amics in Terrassa. The first part takes you past Gaudi's buildings which I wouldn't want to miss. I also can pick up a credencial in the Iglesia de Sant Jaume (Santiago), calle Ferran.

The two routes join a little before Sant Cugat, continue together till bifurcation to Les Font then separate until you reach the foot of the mountain. The GR 6 doesn't enter Terressa.

I decided on the second route as a Camino friend lives in Sant Cugat and was nice enough to walk the route from the monestery in SC to Terrassa yesterday to check Gronze's instructions, and, where necessary, correct. I asked him to walk all the way to Monserrat but he called me crazy.

This is at least my plan as of today.

@Marti93 are you leaving from Barcelona?

I will be yeah. Probably on Thursday the 4th of June. Or maybe the Sunday after that if I want to watch the champions league in Bcn :D

Great info, thanks again. Is there an albergue of sorts in Sant Cugat-Terrassa?

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
. Is there an albergue of sorts in Sant Cugat-Terrassa?

Don't know about an albergue, but Sant Cugat has a fabulous romanesque cloister with double columns and wonderful carved capitals, and a delicate pale blue rose window. Also don't miss the Caravaggio in Montserrat.

Don't know about an albergue, but Sant Cugat has a fabulous romanesque cloister with double columns and wonderful carved capitals, and a delicate pale blue rose window. Also don't miss the Caravaggio in Montserrat.
Looks amazing. It's not occupied by monks is it? (who would give me a room :))

I will be yeah. Probably on Thursday the 4th of June. Or maybe the Sunday after that if I want to watch the champions league in Bcn :D
Huh, I envy you watching CL Finals in BCN!!! I'll be watching it in Valencia and hope to have wonderful evening although FC Valencia is strong opponent in La Liga.

Ultreia!

€60,-
Hello guys, of course it would have been smart to 'watch' my own thread as I didn't see this past weeks' entries.

Here is some more information:

A credencial can be obtained in Barcelona at the following locations:
  • Arzobispado de Barcelona (al lado de la catedral), de lunes a viernes de 9 a 13. En la calle del Bisbe 5.
  • Iglesia de Sant Jaume, de 10 a 14 y de 17 a 20 h. En la calle Ferran.
  • Monasterio de Sant Pau del Camp, de lunes a sábado de 10:30 a 13:30 y de 16:30 a 19:30. En la calle Sant Pau 101.
@Marti93 and @alansykes there are no albergues along any of the routes from Barcelona until you get to Monserrat.Depending on which route you take (via Terrassa or via Les Fonts) there are a few hostales.

Terrassa: the cheapest option I have found is Hostal Roc Vallès €21, breatkfast not included and no discount to pilgrims. Email: calpepe272@hotmail.com

Les Fonts: Hostal del Carmen €27,50. Here is their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hostal-del-Carmen-Les-Fonts/253640634688542?fref=ts
Email: I sent them an email asking if they give a discount to pilgrims but to date no answer.

Monserrat: it is suggested that you contact the Centro de Coordinación Pastoral in advance to reserve.
Email: ccpastoral@santuari-montserrat.com, tel: +34938777766. First night is free, second night €10.00. The office is open from 9:30-13:00 and 16:00-18:00. You need to go there to pick up the keys to the albergue and to get a stamp in your credencial. If you are expecting to come later it is possible to pick up the keys at the hotel but you need to arrange this in advance.

Here is what I have gathered from the Amics from Barcelona and Terrassa (30 km from each other but don't seem share informationo_O).

Routes: foll0wing the GR 6 entirely from the Laberinto de Horta (outskirts of Barcelona) or a combo of the GR 6 and other marked routes (what I will do).

1) Barcelona-Sant Cugat del Vallès-Les Fonts de Terrassa-Olesa-Esparreguera-Collbató-Montserrat This is probably the route that I will take. Per the Amics in Terrassa it marked from the la Plaça de Sant Jaume where I will pick up my credencial and joins the GR 6 at the Laberinto de Horta.

2)Barcelona-Cornellà-Molins de Rei-Martorell-Esparreguera-Collbató-Montserrat
It has been suggestion not to take this route as it is through industrial areas. Also marked from la Plaça de Sant Jaume.

3) Barcelona-Sant Cugat del Vallès-Les Fonts de Terrassa-Terrassa-Vacarisses-Monistrol de Montserrat-Montserrat.

Local Amigo groups:

Amics del Camí de Sant Jaume de Terrassa
C. Cívic Maria Aurèlia Capmany (Av. Àngel Sallent, 55)
08224 Terrassa
http://amicscamisantjaume.wordpress.com

Here is a wikiloc track they sent me of the route from la Plaça de Sant Jaume to Sant Cugat: http://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=6625906

Associació d'Amics dels Pelegrins a Santiago - Barcelona amicsdelspelegrins@gmail.com
And here what the Amics in Barcelona sent me following the GR 6 http://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=2688678

Once I actually walk it I will have more information. About 2 weeks to go!

Thank you all muchly for the info on walking from Barcelona to Monsterrat!

I'll be there in two weeks time roughly. Yous may well catch up with me haha!
Marti, are you then continuing on the Camino Catalan from Montserrat?

LT and I are planning to continue on the northern alternative, which goes through Huesca and San Juan de la Pena and then connects with the Aragones. The other alternative is through Zaragoza to Logrono, but the pull of that amazing monastery in San Juan de la Pena, along with our longstanding desires to walk the Aragones, sealed the deal for us. Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. You'll be about a week ahead of us, it seems, so let us know how it goes!

Marti, are you then continuing on the Camino Catalan from Montserrat?

LT and I are planning to continue on the northern alternative, which goes through Huesca and San Juan de la Pena and then connects with the Aragones. The other alternative is through Zaragoza to Logrono, but the pull of that amazing monastery in San Juan de la Pena, along with our longstanding desires to walk the Aragones, sealed the deal for us. Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. You'll be about a week ahead of us, it seems, so let us know how it goes!

Yup that's the plan. Any more wee bits of extra info are appreciated.
Enjoying barcelona currently :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Enjoy Barcelona, marti. Not sure if you're a fan of romanesque architecture, but the Catalan National Art Museum has an amazing collection of interior altar frescoes that they stripped off village churches all around Catalunya and brought to Barcelona.

Don't know if you've seen this document with a listing of all services from Montserrat to the Aragones.

We've been told the route is extremely well marked, so this is all we'll be using as a guide, with an occasional glance at Eroski (which is very complete) to learn about what there is to see along the way. (I have successfully downloaded the entire Eroski camino site on my iphone. This is quite a technological advance for me!).

When will you be leaving Barcelona? Have you picked out the route to Montserrat that you will follow? Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks, Alan, you can be our cultural guide. I won't be going to Sant Cugat since I'll be coming in from the north, but I will have my share of romanesque -- do you know Sant Pere de Casserres? It's about 12 km outside of Vic and a stone's throw from the camino, but separated by a river. So I am thinking I will walk there from L'Esquirol and then either hitch or take a cab from the site into town.

Enjoy Barcelona, marti. Not sure if you're a fan of romanesque architecture, but the Catalan National Art Museum has an amazing collection of interior altar frescoes that they stripped off village churches all around Catalunya and brought to Barcelona.

Don't know if you've seen this document with a listing of all services from Montserrat to the Aragones. http://www.amicsdelspelegrins.org/wp-content/uploads/servicios-cami-SJDLP1.pdf We've been told the route is extremely well marked, so this is all we'll be using as a guide, with an occasional glance at Eroski (which is extremely complete) to learn about what there is to see along the way. (I have successfully downloaded the entire Eroski camino site on my iphone. This is quite a technological advance for me!).

When will you be leaving Barcelona? Have you picked out the route to Montserrat that you will follow? Buen camino, Laurie
I plan to set off from the gothic district on Thursday. I'll go towards sant cugat, a night there and then to Montserrat. Do you know if the way is signposted to Montserrat?

Hi, Marti, I believe the way is marked (I'm not going to be walking this part, so LT is the one who has been investigating, but I think she is confident in the marking). But I did just get an email from the amigos in Cervera, which is two days after Montserrat. Their group recently walked part of the Barcelona-Montserrat stage and they posted some pics here:

http://www.camisantjaume.cat/fotografies/trobades-terrassa/item/583-sant-cugat-terrassa

Oh, what I would give to have routine weekend walks to places like these!

Looks like we'll be about a week behind you, since LT and I hope to meet up in Montserrat on Saturday the 13th. Buen camino, Laurie

This website has some gps tracks for the walk between Barcelona and Montserrat, but I think it is still missing the last part since they just did the walk recently (this is the Cervera amigos page again) http://www.camisantjaume.cat/tracks-barcelona-montserrat

And a quick p.s., the same Cervera amics webpage indicates that the albergue is in the Religioses de la Sagrada Familia, but that if it's full, they will help you find a place to stay. Call 647-578-158 or 636 753 749

They seem like quite a nice bunch of people!

This website has some gps tracks for the walk between Barcelona and Montserrat, but I think it is still missing the last part since they just did the walk recently (this is the Cervera amigos page again) http://www.camisantjaume.cat/tracks-barcelona-montserrat

And a quick p.s., the same Cervera amics webpage indicates that the albergue is in the Religioses de la Sagrada Familia, but that if it's full, they will help you find a place to stay. Call 647-578-158 or 636 753 749

They seem like quite a nice bunch of people!
I emailed the amics and asked around the sagrada familia. What is the religioses de sagrada familia might I ask?

Got my credencial from St. Jaume cathedral

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Arrived in Sant Cugat after a tough walk (for me) in the sun. The way was marked but I might have missed one and ended up on the B road to Cerdanyola. Luckily took a left turn towards a restaurant and managed it.

Tough walk to and from Montserrat. Beware the yellow arrows that lead back UP the mountain when going to Igualada! Good albergues in Igualada, Cervera, Castellnou and currently El Palau d'Anglosela.

Bon Camí!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi guys,

For those who have taken the route via Sant Cugat, do you think it is accessible to a touring bike?
Cheers

No way, at least from where I started at Laberinto de Horta. Very steep part up then down with rocks.
Up to Monserrat was a bitch especially as I added an hour to an already 34 km walk from Les Fonts.
There is a new Albergue that opened up the day after I walked which makes the 2 stages from Barcelona more doable.
Laurie and I walked into Puente la Reina today now also completing the Aragonés

Will post more when done walking.

I met cyclists cycling from Barcelona to Montserrat and back in a day. There are marked routes with red and white stripes (?) which might be more suited for cyclists.

Currently in Boadilla, making strong progress towards Santiago :v

€60,-
Love the info as I am intending to walk from Barcelona next year 2016 for my third Camino keep the info comming as its hard to find guides in English Thanks.

Me too trevorcc. I intend starting the third week in March but I would welcome advice from forum members with experience of walking this route as it might be tricky because of snow, as per the Napoleon route at SJPP. I can delay until April 2016 but not much longer as I have to be back in the UK sometime in May and I find it impossible to walk in the heat.

Yup that's the plan. Any more wee bits of extra info are appreciated.
Enjoying barcelona currently :D
Marti93, I am planning to fly into Barcelona from Australia in 2016 Sept to walk the route are doing up to Logrono and then onto Santiago any info you have on this path would be helpful ie. Albergues , bars and what the markings are like . Will appreciate all feedback Buen camino

€60,-
I'll give some more detailed info once back. It's a great experience, pretty solitary, in contrast to the social experience of the Frances. Also surprisingly well marked overall. Brush up on your Spanish to get the most out of it. The basics go a long way!

Last year I did the Northerly route via Huesca and then onto Jaca and across to Navarra and the Camino Frances.

I started in Barcelona and my progress to Monserrat was not totally plain sailing, the way marking leading out of Barcelona city seemed almost non existent. Last year I got rather lost on this initial part which led me on the wrong path towards Sant Cugat (the first town 15kms after Barcelona). As I since found out from Collserola if you can get on the right path to Sant Cugat then it is easy and very clearly marked to Sant Cugat. After this the way is fairly well marked but not exceptional, there were 3 occasions when I did go slightly wrong. From Monserrat though I could have no complaints with how the Camino Catalan was way marked it was most clear all the way to the boarder of Aragon province. I suppose that over the border a different local authority is in charge of the marking because the signs and the frequency of the arrows varied. Nevertheless I did not get lost on any occasion on this Camino; I simply followed the arrows when I saw them and they took me to where I wanted to go. Nevertheless in part this may have been down to luck because especially around and after Huesca the frequency of the arrows drops right down and there was little else to do when in doubt but to continue straight on. There were some occasions when I went 1km without seeing an arrow especially in the mountainous countryside. On one afternoon in remote woodland on a long section between small villages I was for a time slightly concerned at the lack of signage. With a lack of water on a hot afternoon and all alone I could do little more than hope for the best. Fortunately I was fine. I kept my eyes peeled and I did not diverge from the path I was on unless I saw an arrow; this served me well. I though had no guidebook, map or gps, which made things more nervy but fun.

Overall I enjoyed this route. I did it in July and at this time of the year the route is really quiet. Until I got to Jaca I saw virtually no one. I was walking alone nearly the whole time. I wanted this but it was challenging. Locals told me that in the spring far more people do this route, the summer is too hot they say. Last summer was cool so physically it was easier than normal. I had no problems physically (excluding the odd inevitable blister), but I love the heat. Last summer the hottest couple of days on this route were maybe 32 but there were many days when I suppose it was around 26 or 27, which is cooler than usual. In Northern Aragon thunderstorms are not unusual. There were a few afternoons of heavy rain.

Monserrat is stunning. After Monserrat though one thing to be prepared for is the first 70kms about 80% (maybe 90%) of the route is on paved road. The roads are fortunately largely devoid of traffic, but it is hard on the feet.
I think every Camino is special in its own way. There was some lovely countryside on this route. The variety and sudden contrasts between lush green and arid countryside was an appreciation to behold. After Huesca the hiking in the mountains was spectacular.
From Jaca The Camino Aragon begins it's 130km and very hilly path to Puente La Reina and The Camino Frances. On this Camino my solitude was broken and there are a light stream of pilgrams. I saw on average 10 a day. This route was well marked and again beautiful.

Facilities wise it is nothing like The Frances. It becomes quiet a rural route and there are some long sections in between small villages, and longer sections still between larger villages or towns which contain a shop or a bar. There were a few times when without prior food or sufficient water in my backpack I was gasping for the next shop. Still it was nothing serious.

It was a good route and I had a great experience, although in the summer it is solitary. It is good to know some Spanish since in most places finding a person who spoke English was akin to finding a set of hens teeth.

About the accommodation I cannot say too much since most nights I slept outside.

I am doing the Camino Catalan via Lleida and Zaragoza this summer so I will write something about this when I have done it.

So I did the camino from Barcelona to Finisterra this summer. Unbelievable experiencia

Met only 4 other pilgrims before Logroño. The solitude was a great contrast to the Frances which followed.

A wonderful off-duty Dutch pilgrim (Andrice?) met me in Zaragoza and bought me beer... I wonder if he completed his camino from Sevilla weeks later...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I will be meeting up with Laurie @peregrina2000 in Monserrat and will continue on the Camí via Huesca and San Juan de la Peña to join the Aragónes. My original plan was to stay two nights in the albergue de peregrinos in Monserrat (first night free, next night €10), visit Barcelona and then meet up with Laurie when she arrives. As I visited Barcelona for a week a while back I am now thinking about walking from Barcelona to Monserrat and skip the first night in Monserrat.

Is there anyone out there that has walked from Barcelong to Monserrat? Pros and cons?
I will now write to the Amics in Barcelona to ask their opinion but wanted to also check in here.

Cheers
Good evening, I plan to follow 2015 Peregrina2000 steps and yours from Cataluña East coast to Santiago this upcoming 2016. I have enjoyed the extremely well done narration offered by Laurie on this adventure and in some of the posted pictures, I have seen an Osprey rucksack. I think it was yourse, what capacity is it?
Good evening Caminante...

Haha Laurie did have a tendency to flash my backside :rolleyes:...

My pack is an Osprey Aura 35. Love it and has come along with me on 11 Caminos. From what I understand, the 35 is no longer made. 35 is perfect for all year round.

I have some new info about the Barcelona - Monserrat walk which I will post shortly (I took a slightly different route).

My pack is an Osprey Aura 35. Love it and has come along with me on 11 Caminos. From what I understand, the 35 is no longer made. 35 is perfect for all year round.

I have some new info about the Barcelona - Monserrat walk which I will post shortly (I took a slightly different route).
Thank you for this information. Will be looking for your narration Barcelona Montserrat. Many Thanks again.
Julio Santiago

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Laurie had a tendency to flash your backside, NOT because she is a pervert, but because she was always struggling to keep up with you. ;)

Cheers

Hi, I'm planning to take public transport from BCN afternoon of June 24th to Montserrat to start the Catalan trail. I'm only planning to spend a few days. Any suggestions? Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’d like to get straight to Montserrat from BCN airport. Would you take public transport to Montserrat and start trekking from there? Where should I be dropped off to start the trek? And, what place would be good to stay the first night? If I were to have 2 days how far should I go before coming back? Just looking for any help. I’m completely new to this.

There is an airport bus that will take you into Barcelona. That is what I did. I then went to the cathedral to pick up a credential and my first stamp. Since I walked from Barcelona I did not take public transportation to Monserrat but I just googled how to get there. This link gives the instructions:

https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/tour/barcelona-montserrat.html

Go to the Plaça Espanya train/metro station. It is a very large station and the link says to take any entrance. You then need to take the R5 line direction Manresa. But you then need to take the funicular or cable car up to the top of Monserrat. The link explains everything.

I have no idea how far you can walk per day. Here is a website that gives possible stages and accommodations. It also has maps. Although in Spanish, it is easy to use.

https://www.gronze.com/camino-santiago-catalan

Good luck!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back