• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Airfare costs

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, Annie, funny you should ask. I'm checking out fares for a trip to Madrid this fall, and from my little podunk airport the roundtrip price is almost $1300 in Sept and Oct. So the fact that you've got further to go may be offset by my need to fly 150 miles to connect in Chicago, leaving us both with astronomical air fares. I think my airfare this summer was even a bit higher, but I flew into Barcelona and home from Santiago, so that's more complicated than just home to Madrid. Are you heading back to the Camino sooner than planned? Does that mean that your ankle is doing better? L.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My ankle is still pestering me now and then, but definitely better.
I rolled it again last week; stepped on my dog's bone :( but it recovered quickly.
I'm planning to return to the Camino in April/May/June next year.

Laurie, I thought you were living in Spain???

I just got an offer for airfare from Portland, Oregon to Madrid for $1300.
Seemed high to me.

What are people pay for their airfare this year?
Hi Annie, wow what a price. I'm glad that I live in the Netherlands. I paid this year to SJPdP €94,- and the return from Santiago was €109,- . I wish you well, Peter.

Hi Annie, I am flying from Canada but the currency exchange has me paying the equivalent of $1,000 US from Vancouver Island to Paris. Madrid would have been slightly more expensive. Bear in mind that this cost includes the flight off the island to Vancouver so that, return, is about $200.00 US

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Seemed high to me.

Annie:

Fares are somewhat seasonal, imo. Are you asking about a specific travel period?

Joe

I paid $770 USD for round trip airfare from Mexico City to Madrid, which was about 50% less than the normal price. I traveled from May 8th to June 9th on Iberia. What I did was check the airfare every day for about two months, and when the fare dropped that much, I bought my tickets. The next day, it went back up to $1400. What I've heard is that if you book your tickets between two and four months before departure, you have the best shot of getting good rates. I booked my ticket about 6 weeks before departure.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I paid $770 USD for round trip airfare from Mexico City to Madrid, which was about 50% less than the normal price. I traveled from May 8th to June 9th on Iberia. What I did was check the airfare every day for about two months, and when the fare dropped that much, I bought my tickets. The next day, it went back up to $1400. What I've heard is that if you book your tickets between two and four months before departure, you have the best shot of getting good rates. I booked my ticket about 6 weeks before departure.

Kowabunga! Nice work!

I had heard that everytime you check, the prices go up because of cookies on the computer or something. That is apparently not correct!

I'm excited for you!

Seemed high to me.

Annie, mine will be $1251 US from Pittsburgh unless I wait much longer and the 6 week away point passes - the more like $1451. Sure do miss the old days of Priceline when we could get overseas for $400!

$757 round trip from Orlando to Paris, leaving in Sept, returning in Nov. Over on Norwegian, back on Iceland Air.

EDIT and a friend just booked today on British Airways for $800-something for going and returning in Sept.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Salt Lake City to Pamplona (through Dallas and Madrid) and return flight from Santiago (through Madrid and Chicago) Booked about a month ago, depart September 5th, return October 16th. $1430.

$757 round trip from Orlando to Paris, leaving in Sept, returning in Nov. Over on Norwegian, back on Iceland Air.
THANKS - I might take Spirit Air from here to Orlando. That's a great price, plus could stop over in Grindavik if Icelandair is offering their free stayover.

I booked my ticket about 2 1/2 months ago (departing on Monday). Round trip Vancouver to Porto (departure through Toronto & Lisbon / return through Frankfurt) was $1345.00 (Canadian).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Beth. Definitely check it out. I just edited my post to add that a friend who wants to walk the first few days with me just got an $800-something round trip fair on British Airways from ORL, which would be totally worth the extra few dollars, since Norwegian goes to Copenhagen with a long layover there before flying back to Paris. He'll get to Paris at 8 am, while I get there at 9 pm, so it's like an extra day.

Wow, that is a good price. Nice job.

Oh dear you people are making me jealous. I just checked and the cheapest ticket from Sydney to Madrid during the European summer is over $2000. It is possible to fiddle around with dates and tickets to other European cities but we never get anything below about $1500. I presume it's the same for the Kiwis.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh dear you people are making me jealous. I just checked and the cheapest ticket from Sydney to Madrid during the European summer is over $2000. It is possible to fiddle around with dates and tickets to other European cities but we never get anything below about $1500. I presume it's the same for the Kiwis.

I paid AU$ 1400 (circa US$ 1000) round trip Sydney-Madrid in May this year with Emirates. But I bought it more than 6 months in advance (around September last year). I saw that Etihad had similar prices.

So do you only walk a camino during the European summer? I try to be in Spain during May/June to enjoy the Spring. Korean airlines are advertising a flight for $1484 at the moment. There is a long stopover in Seoul on the way over, but the usually provide a hotel room on these occasions. On the way home in June they gave me a room at the Grand Hyatt, my first experience of a 5 star hotel, and vouchers for 2 meals.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Alan Pearce Hi Alan,
I do walk in spring (and sometimes autumn). The Korean option looks great! We've never been through Seoul. We like to stop-over somewhere just to break the journey but we've always had to pay for a hotel. Which European city was your destination?
Not that I'm ready to buy next year's ticket yet. A few too many uncertainties.

@Alan Pearce Hi Alan,
I do walk in spring (and sometimes autumn). The Korean option looks great! We've never been through Seoul. We like to stop-over somewhere just to break the journey but we've always had to pay for a hotel. Which European city was your destination?
Not that I'm ready to buy next year's ticket yet. A few too many uncertainties.

Seoul is the only stop, so going it is Sydney-Seoul-Madrid, and the reverse coming home. Roughly it is 13 hours on the Seoul/Madrid leg, and 11 hours Sydney/Seoul. One more flight and I have enough points for an upgrade!

Ah, yes, uncertainties. The only certainty I have regarding next year is that I a am hospitalero at Gaucelmo in Rabanal for the first half of June. Meanwhile I girding my loins to prepare to be a steward at the public tasting of our wine show tonight. There are 1.300 different wines available for tasting.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Annie
That price sounds about right to me, depending on what airline you prefer and points of departure from the U.S. I usually fly Delta out of Anchorage and route through Atlanta connecting in Amsterdam. I prefer it over other options and do not like Departing out of JFK. I normally purchase my ticket 6 months or so in advance. I like to get into Madrid by mid morning so I can make my connections in country without too much late hour traveling. I arrive in Pamplona late evening. The cost is usually around $1800 or so. It is a little more expense to get to Anchorage and then connect to either Seattle or Portland for travel across the U.S. Tickets to Seattle or Portland normally run $400 give or take depending on the time of year. I have had good luck with Delta , Alaska Airlines, and KLM. I'm sure the other carriers are similar , just my preference from past experience. I looked at tickets the other day for my April May trip next year and it was around $1800 which hasn't fluctuated much over the last few years. I'm more concerned about hours of flight time and connecting airports. Some flights take two days of travel,I try to take the shorter ones. I flew to San Francisco in February and the ticket was around $1200. Oh, BTW, I fly coach. It is a great life lesson in humility and patience. Doh!✈️

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oct 3/2015 round trip Toronto to Barcelona returning Oct 18 Air Transat Cdn$800 (approx US$700)

I paid $799 Toronto to Paris, return Barcelona to Toronto April 23 - June 14 this year on Air Transat.

When I started checking tickets in Feb, they were over $2000. We found tickets out of Calgary for $749 each to Madrid -- 2 for less than 1, so we will drive there the day before. We fly Spetember 1st!!

Seemed high to me.

Annie,
I booked through Priceline and am paying $896 CAD for a flight to Madrid (through Brussels) on September 4 and home from Lisbon September 20 (this time with a 24 hour stop over so I can tour Brussels). I do not take out any cancellation insurance (a savings of about $300) as my credit card has it (I pay maybe $80 a year for it). It was cheaper with the stop over but I want to see Brussels so this is an opportunity rather than an inconvenience. Hotels in central Brussels cheaper than the cost for the direct flight home.
Good luck and keep checking Priceline and Kayak.
Diane

Seemed high to me.

Annie, that is actually reasonable. I'm flying (return) from Vancouver to Madrid on British Airways and paid just about the same (equivalent to U.S.$)

This is the best fare I have ever seen from Canada-- I have never paid under $1150.
I am not a ran of charger flights in general, but to get to Spain on a direct flight from Montreal AirTransat is the only way to go. Its price scarry from 750$ to 1150$. Payed 850$ last fall to Barcelona, 750$ this spring. Sire béats Air Canada at a higher price and having to make a stop over in Frankfurt. Their prices vary depending on departure and return dates but the site is very easy to search, the fill calendrier is posted so you can easily compare prices from date to date. Food is bad, seats are narrow...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am not a ran of charger flights in general, but to get to Spain on a direct flight from Montreal AirTransat is the only way to go. Its price scarry from 750$ to 1150$. Payed 850$ last fall to Barcelona, 750$ this spring. Sire béats Air Canada at a higher price and having to make a stop over in Frankfurt. Their prices vary depending on departure and return dates but the site is very easy to search, the fill calendrier is posted so you can easily compare prices from date to date. Food is bad, seats are narrow...
Being on the west coast does up the fare some. I myself don't fly Air Canada. Their fares are high because we don't have any competing airlines, other than West Jet, which is not the best option for European travel.

Gosh. It really puts things into perspective! I've been looking at flights to/from Madrid from the UK and am complaining bitterly about £130 return. I feel for you all but appreciate only too well what it is that makes you shell out all that dosh.
Happy St James to one and all

I usually fly in the Spring (March/April) and have been able to get a fare for approx. $800. United has one stop in Newark, 11 hour total travel time to Madrid. American/Iberia non stop to Madrid 8 hours. It is cheaper to fly into Dublin but they do not have regular flights to Biarritz in the early Spring. London another option but then you have to transfer to Stansted to get Ryan air to Biarritz. I track flights daily on Kayak. There are cheaper flights on Turkish airlines but you have to fly through Istanbul 30 hours travel time.

So other than season, total travel time is a contributing factor to total cost for me.

Joe

I usually fly in the Spring (March/April) and have been able to get a fare for approx. $800. United has one stop in Newark, 11 hour total travel time to Madrid. American/Iberia non stop to Madrid 8 hours. It is cheaper to fly into Dublin but they do not have regular flights to Biarritz in the early Spring. London another option but then you have to transfer to Stansted to get Ryan air to Biarritz. I track flights daily on Kayak. There are cheaper flights on Turkish airlines but you have to fly through Istanbul 30 hours travel time.

So other than season, total travel time is a contributing factor to total cost for me.

Joe
I'm quite content with Vancouver to Madrid non stop. I'll be taking the train to Pamplona which pleases me, as I love trains. From Pamplona to St. Jean with the Pension' folks.

I paid $1300 in May for travel from Albuquerque to Madrid this year - which I also thought was high. I'm hoping to go back to walk another section in earlier October but will wait til next year if I can't find airfare for a lot less than that. I check Kayak everyday - and prices DO fluctuate wildly so I'm being patient and trying to be flexible too - so I'm also watching for flights from other cities that I could drive or take a train to - like Dallas, Denver or even Los Angeles. Sure wish I lived in the Netherlands!

Seemed high to me.

Been looking at fares for Sept.-Oct. for a few weeks now from Boise to Madrid, and that's in the ballpark of how they've been tracking. I've not seen anything lower than 1050, and that fare requires > 24 hours of travel and multiple transfers. I'm booking today on American to Donostia/San Sebastian for ~$1250. It pays to check all the aggregator sites as well as the individual airline sites.

Buen Camino!

I actually prefer transfers and a few rest stops to flying direct. In fact this year I may stop in NYC, Washington DC, or Florida to visit before continuing on.

I actually prefer transfers and a few rest stops to flying direct. In fact this year I may stop in NYC, Washington DC, or Florida to visit before continuing on.
With flights to India for the past nine years; Vancouver/London, overnight - London/Chennai, I am used to long flights. I sleep easily and always have lots to read and seems I always sat with interesting folks. The fares are out there and yes, it does take a lot of looking

$920 - We booked with Air Canada, Ottawa to Madrid, one stop, arriving am, September to Oct. Two stops and evening arrival were about $100 less

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Jill - totally agree. In fact I don't know what these people are complaining about. My latest newsletter from Emirates listed fares to Madrid at around $1800 AUD (or about $1600 US). But we then have to travel 14 hours from Sydney to Dubai and 6 or 7 hours to Madrid (with about 2-3 hours layover). We will see you this Saturday at the Sydney Pilgrims?? Cheers

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Raleigh NC to Boston to Reykjavik Iceland to Paris, $383. Home flights Porto Portugal to Boston, $341, visit friends then Amtrak home, wherever that is. Flying July27th to and Oct27 from. I actually looked at flights to London, Paris, and Madrid from the US, figuring I could get over the Pond and just take a train to my starting point. The Chunnel would be an adventure in itself! The Paris flight showed up after two weeks of searching, and I grabbed it. Air B&B helped me make a new friend in Paris, and I will be spending a few days in her house before I hit the trail. I mean, Paris? Gotta see it! Oui.
Since I am homeless right now, I will decide where I want to settle as I walk. The return to Boston gives me Amtrak options galore.

Raleigh NC to Boston to Reykjavik Iceland to Paris, $383. Home flights Porto Portugal to Boston, $341, visit friends then Amtrak home, wherever that is. Flying July27th to and Oct27 from. I actually looked at flights to London, Paris, and Madrid from the US, figuring I could get over the Pond and just take a train to my starting point. The Chunnel would be an adventure in itself! The Paris flight showed up after two weeks of searching, and I grabbed it. Air B&B helped me make a new friend in Paris, and I will be spending a few days in her house before I hit the trail. I mean, Paris? Gotta see it! Oui.
Since I am homeless right now, I will decide where I want to settle as I walk. The return to Boston gives me Amtrak options galore.

Coleen:

Do not be too disappointed in missing the Chunnel. It gets dark for 30 minutes and then it gets light.

Joe

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had heard that everytime you check, the prices go up because of cookies on the computer or something. That is apparently not correct!

Correct about cookies making prices go up. Clear your cache first then check. That way you look like a "new" customer. I've found that Kayak, Cheapair, Cheapoair, Cheaptickets, and Orbitz are standards by which to gauge basic prices.

However, that sad, if you look around midnight early on a weeknight, you can occasionally find a flash sale. That's what I do: constantly dump cookies and scan for travel deals. Jump on it if you find a price significantly lower because it won't last. You'll be glad you did. Cheers!

Seemed high to me.

It seems high to me too. In fact, it doesn't seem an offer to me. You should be able to find fares for US$1100 (and cheaper) without too much trouble although probably not on the same airline than with the offer you got. Any (real) offer, IMHO, should be (well) under US$1000 although you don't always find them but that's why they are really offers and not just cheap fares...

I have had good luck with Delta , Alaska Airlines, and KLM. I'm sure the other carriers are similar , just my preference from past experience. I looked at tickets the other day for my April May trip next year and it was around $1800 which hasn't fluctuated much over the last few years.

I would suggest to take a look at United too. A quick look for April/May next year shows lower fares than those you quoted... although your specific travel dates, lenght of stay and other factors may make a difference.

Correct about cookies making prices go up. Clear your cache first then check. That way you look like a "new" customer.
We had a vigorous debate about this a few months ago, on this thread. I haven't observed this cookie phenomenon and tend to disbelieve it. I never dump cookies and the prices do sometimes come down. Here's an article from 2013 http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ert-do-cookies-really-raise-airfares/2121981/

€46,-
$1164 May 6-June 23 this year. Los Angeles to Madrid, then on to Pamplona... return from Madrid. Had to pay about $60 for train from Santiago to Madrid. This was with Iberia - no delays, no problems with carry-on pack including poles. Seats were ok - food sucked.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We booked on January 22 for travel on August 4th, returning September 5th. Our flights are Victoria, BC Canada to Toronto, and then on to Madrid. Getting on the plane was $1085.00 per person but then they dinged us for another $300.00 each to select our seats. We are tall so really had to bite the bullet and go for the extra cost. That's not even for emergency exit seats - it just gets us bulkhead and aisle. Air Canada is the carrier we are using. Took the exact same flight two years ago and have to say that avoiding any of the European hubs such as Frankfurt certainly shortens the overall travel time. If I recall correctly I tormented myself by checking prices for a while after booking and the did come down a wee bit ($100.00 each I think) but what can you do? With my usual luck they might have gone up, and the availability of desirable seats diminishes with time.

Seemed high to me.

Hello everyone. This is probably a good place for me to introduce myself, as I've been hovering for many months and leave Sunday, Aug 2nd to start my Camino Frances pilgrimage, from Pamplona to Santiago. I did a lot of research on flights, all the while having a rep from the Flight Network work with me as well. I am actually pleased with the cost Flight Network found for me: direct flight from Montreal to Madrid (return) $1102; Rail Europe from Madrid to Pamplona $97; returning Monday, Sep 7th from Santiago with Ryan Air $61 and then from Madrid back to Montreal. I live in Ottawa, but am getting a ride to and from the Montreal airport. Also got full insurance so all in it's costing me $1635! So worth every penny. I'd like to thank you all for ALL of the invaluable information I have found on this site. And as we say, Buen Camino : )

We booked several months ago with Icelandair for September Camino. Edmonton, Alberta to Paris (with one hour stopover in Iceland) was $1030 CAD. Happy with that, considering we can pay almost that much just to fly from Alberta to Nova Scotia to visit family!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
May 2015, $1300 from the Vancouver, Canada, which included a flight in from a rural community, and the flight from Madrid to Oviedo. $1400 for the same from Edmonton, Alberta.

May 2015, $1300 from the Vancouver, Canada, which included a flight in from a rural community, and the flight from Madrid to Oviedo. $1400 for the same from Edmonton, Alberta.
I paid $1,073 on British Airways from Vancouver to Madrid, but with added cost for two buses and ferry to YVR, total came close to 1,300. I have found that depending on the time of year that you book the airline and how far out, can make a difference.

Rail Europe from Madrid to Pamplona $97

Disclaimer: I assume you are talking about Canadian Dollars.

Rail Europe isn't a train operator but an agency that sells tickets for several European train operators. As an agency, they have to make a profit so they usually are more expensive than booking the ticket yourself on the web of the train operator (when it's possible). In the case of the route from Madrid to Pamplona, the fare you paid is roughly 13 Canadian dollars more expensive than the full fare offered by RENFE on its web for a tourist class seat. That's the full fare, if you book (well) in advance you can find discounted fares for that route of just 42 Canadian dollars and sometimes even cheaper.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Excellent info for me also. I was looking to take the train from Madrid to Pamplona. I'll check the site to see how far out you can book and pay in advance.

For almost 20 years, I took small groups of students to Europe so I got pretty good at finding low airfare.(Although the days of super cheap flights from the U.S. to Europe seem to have disappeared!) I have watched the fares change daily, fluctuating both up and down. (Travel agents will always tell you that the prices only go up as you get closer to your departure date, but that is not true). I have never cleared my cache, just been diligent in my daily searches and have been successful in finding great fares. If you look at the airlines' calendars, there will be high fares, except for one day in the month. So the key is to be flexible and ready to grab a low fare the minute you see it. Chances are it'll be gone the next day. I've also found better fares by flying into one city and out of another. In March, I booked my flight to Pamplona on 25 May, home from Santiago 23 June from Culiacan, Mexico for $1,090 usd on Iberia. If I had flown on any other days than the ones I'd chosen, it'd been several hundred dollars more. It was about the same price RT Culiacan to Madrid, so when you consider all the ground transportation costs, this was a great deal. My two layovers were less than 2 hours each, so it was as direct of a flight possible.

Excellent info for me also. I was looking to take the train from Madrid to Pamplona. I'll check the site to see how far out you can book and pay in advance.
For me flying on to Pamplona from Madrid only added 45 dollars (us) to the total fare. 1 hour layover between flights & 55 minutes flying time. Taxi from Pamplona airport to city center was 12 euros.

For me flying on to Pamplona from Madrid only added 45 dollars (us) to the total fare. 1 hour layover between flights & 55 minutes flying time. Taxi from Pamplona airport to city center was 12 euros.
hmmm..wonder if I should think of flying to Pamplona from Madrid, rather than the train. $45 certainly sounds reasonable. I will also need to book from Santiago to Madrid on Nov 2. Still some work to to:>)

It's best if you can book your entire flight at the same time because if one leg of your flight is delayed, they will arrange the next leg for you free of cost. Also, there is a bus stop just 5 minutes up the hill from the Pamplona airport with service to Pamplona every 15 or so minutes for only 1 euro. I debarked at 10:10, caught the 10:30 bus and was walking on the camino by 10:50. It was great!

It's best if you can book your entire flight at the same time because if one leg of your flight is delayed, they will arrange the next leg for you free of cost. Also, there is a bus stop just 5 minutes up the hill from the Pamplona airport with service to Pamplona every 15 or so minutes for only 1 euro. I debarked at 10:10, caught the 10:30 bus and was walking on the camino by 10:50. It was great!
Hi BShea, yes I thought about that when I originally booked my flight in March, but at the time, my arrival date (walking) to Santiago was an unknown. Iberia's one-way flights, Santiago/Madrid seem quite reasonable. The bus to Pamplona seems a good idea. I was going to find a hotel near the train station, because I was told that the train was an option, but now I see I could overnight at a hotel near the airport (which might be a bit pricy), then get the morning bus to Pamplona. Thanks for the info….Maggie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'll check the site to see how far out you can book and pay in advance.

Take a look at www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm for info.

now I see I could overnight at a hotel near the airport (which might be a bit pricy), then get the morning bus to Pamplona.

PLM (http://plmautocares.com) is the company offering direct buses from Madrid to Pamplona but they just have one out of the airport. The rest of the buses depart from the downtown and don't stop at the airport.
Alsa (www.alsa.es) offers buses from Madrid to Pamplona changing buses in Soria and has more departures out of the airport than PLM.

I would consider the option of sleeping in downtown Madrid instead of close to the airport.

PLM (http://plmautocares.com) is the company offering direct buses from Madrid to Pamplona but they just have one out of the airport. The rest of the buses depart from the downtown and don't stop at the airport.
Alsa (www.alsa.es) offers buses from Madrid to Pamplona changing buses in Soria and has more departures out of the airport than PLM.

I would consider the option of sleeping in downtown Madrid instead of close to the airport.
I did think it might be a better option, although it's good to have the choices. Do you know, is there public transportation from the airport to downtown, or is it best just to take a taxi? Thanks Castilian. Maggie

Castilian, I'm in a bit of a dither regarding booking a train. I did go into the link you provided. It appears to be different than 'renfe.com. (renfe.com is in Spanish only).They offer different schedules. The schedule I want is in the site you provided (www.seat61.com, etc), but it's being charged in British pounds. The section I was in, came under a banner of both U.S. and Canada (flags), so it was confusing. I would need to add both the service charge and a 2.5% conversion fee. If I haven't totally confused you, do you have any suggestion? Thanks. Miss ditz.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
is there public transportation from the airport to downtown,

Yes, there is.

There are Cercanías trains out of T4: www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cercanias/index.html

There are exprés buses: www.emtmadrid.es/lineaAeropuerto/index.html

And there's the metro: www.metromadrid.es

Taxi fare from the airport to the downtown is 30 Euros.

I did go into the link you provided. It appears to be different than 'renfe.com. (renfe.com is in Spanish only).

It seems to me you didn't go to the specific link I provided but to the home page of the seat61 web (or some other area of the seat61 web). The link I provided is a link with info about trains in Spain and about how to browse the web of RENFE (and what alternatives you have if it doesn't work properly for you). It's not a web to purchase RENFE tickets and it isn't either the web of RENFE. I linked it because it has detailed info about how to use the web of RENFE and how to avoid the main problems that might arise. You can read that info at www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm#How_to_use_www.renfe.com

The web of RENFE isn't just in Spanish. You can consult the web of RENFE in English at: www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html but, IMHO, it would be wise to learn previously how to use it in order to increase your chances of succeeding purchasing a ticket on the web of RENFE and that's why a reading of the specific page within the seat61 web that I linked above is a good idea.

Our flights Montreal to Paris... and Madrid to Montreal 580.00 USD. Leave Sept 15th return Oct. 27.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, there is.

There are Cercanías trains out of T4: www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cercanias/index.html

There are exprés buses: www.emtmadrid.es/lineaAeropuerto/index.html

And there's the metro: www.metromadrid.es

Taxi fare from the airport to the downtown is 30 Euros.

It seems to me you didn't go to the specific link I provided but to the home page of the seat61 web (or some other area of the seat61 web). The link I provided is a link with info about trains in Spain and about how to browse the web of RENFE (and what alternatives you have if it doesn't work properly for you). It's not a web to purchase RENFE tickets and it isn't either the web of RENFE. I linked it because it has detailed info about how to use the web of RENFE and how to avoid the main problems that might arise. You can read that info at www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm#How_to_use_www.renfe.com

The web of RENFE isn't just in Spanish. You can consult the web of RENFE in English at: www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html but, IMHO, it would be wise to learn previously how to use it in order to increase your chances of succeeding purchasing a ticket on the web of RENFE and that's why a reading of the specific page within the seat61 web that I linked above is a good idea.
I do appreciate the time you put into helping me. I will get to work on it this evening. Thank you so much. Maggie

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back