• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking´s possible effect on the brain

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Very interesting but not too surprising. Thanks for sharing this!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks, @peregrina2000 this is very interesting.

What might be an interesting next step for the researchers would be to compare the "broodiness scores" (love it!) of people a little while after they have returned to the urban environment (and have been re-immersed in it) from a time in nature, with those who never left the urban environment. It would be interesting to see how long the positive effects last and/or whether there is perhaps an even greater drop "back to earth". That's a rambling way of explaining it, but it makes me wonder about the "post-Camino blues" and whether the contrast between what we have experienced on Camino and what we return to contributes to that in terms of measurable changes in brain activity. Or something. (This is assuming we're returning to a busy urban or at least semi-urban environment of course - I'm sure rural-dwelling peregrinos aren't immune to post-Camino broodiness!). Ah well. Can you tell what sort of mental state I'm in right now?!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for sharing. It always create some tension in my household to hold the fort that it is better for me to walk in the bush than to the shops:rolleyes:. I now have some independent support!
Shopping by menfolk can cause tension regardless of how they get to the shops. On one memorable occasion, cucumbers not zucchinis and a cabbage instead of a cauli. Guests were startled by the vegs with the roast turkey that Easter.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
All kidding aside, these are interesting articles.

I used to spend weeks at a time bouncing around on the ocean in a tin can with 200 other guys.

Then whenever we got home I would spend any time off hiking. I liked the physical exercise and I really needed time on my own. But no doubt the mountain environment with all the varieties of forest (towering rain forest to scattered alpine krumholtz) is part of the attraction.

Its too bad we are cutting all the forests down. Soon nothing will be left except that which is protected as Parks. There already is enormous pressure on our Parks (and now the Camino too) as people look for quality wilderness experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe this is why we're addicted! True, most Caminos have parts that do not fit the "walking in nature" description, but you can't walk a camino without walking in nature!

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/...=Full&region=Marginalia&src=me&pgtype=article

I read this article yesterday and think it is the walking, not the nature, that changes the brain, although there is positive synergy between the two. When I returned from the Camino in June 2014, I started walking to work whenever possible (5 miles roundtrip), a route that is neither peaceful or much green, but walking nonetheless. The rhythm of walking becomes almost meditative and allows the mind to expand and the emotions to quiet. Love walking.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Today I am in Bilbao and on my slow way back to Paris and home (Vancouver Island). After 2 1/2 months of walking I think it is the sheer joy of putting one foot before the other whether it is chemical, psychological or something else, I don't know. I started the day walking from the Bilbao Central Hostel to the bus station, then a stroll to the Gugg. (Which I just waved at on my way through town a month or so ago), then meandered through the old part of the city, then after a coffee traipsed back to the hostel. Gone 5 hours, felt like 45 mins. Camino brain ?

I read this article yesterday and think it is the walking, not the nature, that changes the brain, although there is positive synergy between the two. When I returned from the Camino in June 2014, I started walking to work whenever possible (5 miles roundtrip), a route that is neither peaceful or much green, but walking nonetheless. The rhythm of walking becomes almost meditative and allows the mind to expand and the emotions to quiet. Love walking.

Did you prefer walking on the Meseta or walking in Leon?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maybe this is why we're addicted! True, most Caminos have parts that do not fit the "walking in nature" description, but you can't walk a camino without walking in nature!

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/...=Full&region=Marginalia&src=me&pgtype=article

A similar analysis about the benefits of being in nature appears in today's New Yorker blog. Concerning the benefits of trees I like the last line, "If someone offers you ten thousand dollars or ten trees, take the trees."
http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/what-is-a-tree-worth

Yes @jayree that's the link @mspath posted. Thanks to you both, I enjoyed reading a bit of New Yorker. The question by @whariwharangi got me thinking. I do enjoy suburban walking but I guess that is a mixture of gardens and buildings.

Thank you for sharing. It's interesting to read about the studies being done. I think being on the camino hi lighted this fact even more for me. I would be maybe approaching a bigger town or city on a particular day, thinking maybe this is where I will take a day of and explore. But upon arriving to the city I couldn't stand it. I never stopped, and never had a rest day. As soon as I arrived in a city I could not wait to walk through it and get back to the more enjoyable energy the camino offered. The couple of times it happened I couldn't explain it to myself or understand, I just kept walking.... But later in the camino I realised there was something about walking in the city that heightened the anxiety levels in me.... Now I know everyday I need to find a peaceful place to walk to stay connected. And I'm even working towards living in a less populated area, in the countryside.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for sharing. It's interesting to read about the studies being done. I think being on the camino hi lighted this fact even more for me. I would be maybe approaching a bigger town or city on a particular day, thinking maybe this is where I will take a day of and explore. But upon arriving to the city I couldn't stand it. I never stopped, and never had a rest day. As soon as I arrived in a city I could not wait to walk through it and get back to the more enjoyable energy the camino offered. The couple of times it happened I couldn't explain it to myself or understand, I just kept walking.... But later in the camino I realised there was something about walking in the city that heightened the anxiety levels in me.... Now I know everyday I need to find a peaceful place to walk to stay connected. And I'm even working towards living in a less populated area, in the countryside.
KSM, I had exactly the same feeling - I am in Santiago and just finished the Primitivo - I got so used to walking alone for hours in beautiful nature that when the Frances joined the Primitivo I ended up forging my own route south off the main trail to get away from it all, it was wonderful, I ended up walking an extra 20 but didnt mind, today I have been in Santiago all day and now feel I need to walk again tomorrow, it is addictive

KSM, I had exactly the same feeling - I am in Santiago and just finished the Primitivo - I got so used to walking alone for hours in beautiful nature that when the Frances joined the Primitivo I ended up forging my own route south off the main trail to get away from it all, it was wonderful, I ended up walking an extra 20 but didnt mind, today I have been in Santiago all day and now feel I need to walk again tomorrow, it is addictive
Very addictive !

I would be maybe approaching a bigger town or city on a particular day, thinking maybe this is where I will take a day of and explore. But upon arriving to the city I couldn't stand it. I never stopped, and never had a rest day. As soon as I arrived in a city I could not wait to walk through it and get back to the more enjoyable energy the camino offered. The couple of times it happened I couldn't explain it to myself or understand, I just kept walking....

I experienced the same feelings. Later I explained to friends, "When you are a pilgrim you are not a tourist."

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I met an Italian here in Santiago who had just finished The Camino norte and he had made up this so song (to the theme of La Bamba)
yo no soy Turigrino
yo no soy turigrino
soy perigrino la verdad
it says it all really

Did you prefer walking on the Meseta or walking in Leon?
I much prefer the Meseta, but if all I've got is Leon type environment.....I'll take it. Walking out of doors, is I guess the key (for me at least). I can't stand treadmills.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.