• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino sound-treks ... more than a snore

• Thread starter Deleted member 36903
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 36903

Responding to a thread initiated by Scruffy 1 about Pablo Casals prompted me to think about the daily sounds of the Camino and how for instance, now back home, hearing a cock crow transports me back to those early starts through still sleeping villages. I was wondering if any forum members have their own favourite (or unfavourite) evocative Camino sound-treks?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Besides some riotous birdsong early in the morning, and the lowing of cows in Galicia, the sounds I mainly recall were those of blissful silence. I used to wonder at those pilgrims who seemed to be trading that silence for whatever sounds were coming out of their ear phones. The only exception to this was the time we were passed by a very outgoing peregrina whom we had met earlier when she passed us, plugged in, singing along at the top of her lungs, a song from the opera Carmen. (She had a very good voice.)

Oh, yes, and there was the time we were walking along a narrow path between an open field and a hedgerow when we could hear the bleating of sheep, along with their sheep bells. The hedgerow was so thick, we couldn't see through, but the sheep were certainly, mere feet away.

And there was that morning entering a little village in Galicia when we heard a woman's voice calling very loudly several times, I think it was, "Vacas, vacas," then shortly after having to scamper out of the way as she opened a barn door and her cows went careening towards a fresh dew-covered pasture.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
l enjoyed the differing sounds - birds, the wind through the corn fields and cow bells. Each day had different soundtracks and I loved them all, but particularly the buen camino of other pilgrims! (I do not enjoy walking with headphones as I enjoy hearing nature around but was sometimes envious of those singing along to their soundtracks)

Thank you all for your replies. Like you Sheesh, the sound of the cuckoo was a constant on the Camino, there were very few days when I managed to be walking before he started singing. Icacos, I love the image conjured of the singing peregrina, Carmen on the Camino is a wonderful combination. I also enjoyed the sounds of the 'invisible' sheep. hsabs, I had completely forgotten the sound of the wind but of course it often signalled a cooling welcome breeze, and of course the 'Buen Camino' greetings, I really miss that, especially from the local people who greeted me as I was walking out of Logrono.
I was thinking today that many everyday sounds take on a different significance when walking. For instance the honking of a klaxon from a lorry on the busy road right next to the Camino path lifted my spirits during the long stretch into Sahagun when the rain seemed never-ending and my socks were soaking. Also cars above me rumbling over the motorway bridges I walked under on the long valley walk from Villafranca to Trabadero. I never saw another pilgrim after leaving town, and it was company of a sort, together with the rushing of the hidden river below.
There was, of course, that satisfying thump as the stamping machine added the final sello to my pilgrim's passport. And with thanks to Frankie, who serenaded our Camino family in a restaurant in SDC with a harmonica version of the Proclaimers' 500 Miles.

On every camino there are stretches which seem to be in another world. Past are the hoards of camera-clicking tourists and/or pilgrims as well as any urbane atmosphere with a bar at every corner. All is reduced to simple basics; I am alone on a seemingly endless gravel path beneath the vast dome of an immense sky. The only sound is the companionable crunch of my boots and perhaps distant birdsong....As always such absence enables presence.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I remember the tympanic crash of bird-song on the meseta that brought me back from where ever I had been in my head for only the gods know how many kilometres, and the patter of rain on my umbrella. Que chova?

Thank you mspath and Tincatinker for your responses. I hadn't thought about the crunch of gravel underfoot but remember it now, and it prompts recollection of boots the sloshing through the torrents on the long downhill walk into Tricastella. The patter of rain on an umbrella is a lovely sound image - sounds too gentle for the precipitation in Galicia which would be more of a heavy-duty drumming. The birdsong on the Meseta was an unexpected pleasure and the only company I needed for that long lone walk.

Forgot to mention the Camino frogs. Huge creatures with voices to match.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The sound of the cow/sheep/horse bells (Camino Primitivo, Norte and to Covadonga) in Asturias. Once in Galicia they are not heard in the same way - something we noticed and missed on the Camino Inglés. We even bought a small bell from a ferretería so we can listen to the sound at home, it now hangs in our kitchen. Seen here with our shell sign at the front door.

Attachments

• cow bell and shell.jpg
    cow bell and shell.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 3
When we were walking this year it was high season for storks nesting (at least east of Galicia - didn't see them so much there), and there is a very distinctive sound they make clacking those long beaks - this very short YouTube video "illustrates" it! I had never heard the sound before but now will forever associate it with the Camino (along with the sight of those huge nests, perched on every high point they could balance on).

As well as that, all the sounds mentioned above, especially the cuckoos, the frogs, and those bells - from horses in Navarra to cows in Galicia and sheep in between - and the scrunch of feet on the path. And of course - dare I mention it - the sound of walking poles click-clicking along the road!

Aww, now you've made me all "camino-sick", and I'm supposed to be working!!

Thank you Tia Valeria for the picture, a lovely combination of Camino symbols. I saw sheep and cows with bells but not horses. There were bells of various sizes for sale in a ferreteria in Villafranca, but I decided my pack was already too heavy. Thank you GettingThere for reminding me about the Camino storks,m I just loved the clacking sound and am grateful for the link to the YouTube video.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We bought the bell on our way home and carried it only as far as the station and then the ferry. :)

My husband dearly wanted a bell but we did not want to carry it - the only ones we found after we finished walking were in touristy shops and priced accordingly.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back