• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Bedbugs on Sanabres 2015

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Hola, fellow pilgrims/hikers!

Few weeks ago reports from other forum members warned about infestation that started in Mombuey. I was told by several locals before Mombuey that this place has continuous problems with these critters due to hospitalero. Therefore I've made an itinerary to avoid Mombuey but unfortunatelly got bedbug bites in very recomended albergue in Sta.Marta de Tera. It's nice I have to say, but in the middle of the night they began to crawl all over me and despite looking for them with head torch and spraying repelent all over the place, I got around 40 bites.

Few days ago I've met Canadian Brian (@IngridF met him also in Zamora) and he has the same experience. It has happened in the first dormitory from the kitchen (there's a huge pile of blankets in dormitory and possible shelter for bedbugs). He even warned hospitalera,butshe said they have 1 year guaranty after fumigation and that there are no bedbugs.

I was lucky that in Rionegro del Puente albergue was drying machine. I was completely alone and put all my stuff in dryer at 90℃ for hour and a half. No problems since then.

In Puebla de Sanabria I met German couple and they got bedbugs in Mombuey. When I was in A Gudiña three days ago the albergue was closed for fumigation but yesterday in Villar de Bartol we have had to help poor bicigrino covered with bites that he got on first newly opened day in A Gudiña.

Otherwise albergues in Rionegro, Asturianos, Puebla de Sanabria, Lubian, Campobecerros, Laza and Villar de Barrio has been safe.

Will tell you about Xunqueira de Ambia soon ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Few weeks ago reports from other forum members warned about infestation that started in Mombuey. I was told by several locals before Mombuey that this place has continuous problems with these critters due to hospitalero. Therefore I've made an itinerary to avoid Mombuey but unfortunatelly got bedbug bites in very recomended albergue in Sta.Marta de Tera. It's nice I have to say, but in the middle of the night they began to crawl all over me and despite looking for them with head torch and spraying repelent all over the place, I got around 40 bites.

Few days ago I've met Canadian Brian (@IngridF met him also in Zamora) and he has the same experience. It has happened in the first dormitory from the kitchen (there's a huge pile of blankets in dormitory and possible shelter for bedbugs). He even warned hospitalera,butshe said they have 1 year guaranty after fumigation and that there are no bedbugs.

I was lucky that in Rionegro del Puente albergue was drying machine. I was completely alone and put all my stuff in dryer at 90℃ for hour and a half. No problems since then.

In Puebla de Sanabria I met German couple and they got bedbugs in Mombuey. When I was in A Gudiña three days ago the albergue was closed for fumigation but yesterday in Villar de Bartol we have had to help poor bicigrino covered with bites that he got on first newly opened day in A Gudiña.

Otherwise albergues in Rionegro, Asturianos, Puebla de Sanabria, Lubian, Campobecerros, Laza and Villar de Barrio has been safe.

Hi, K1,
Looks like this pesky problem has spread beyond the Frances to other caminos. LT and I also heard about them on the Aragones, and one of the cleanest, nicest albergues (Sanguesa) closed the morning we left it for fumigation. This just seems to be a continuing problem with no solution, and we'll just have to cope, I guess. Glad to see a post, you are getting close! What is the albergue like in Campobecerros? Is it back in the train station like the old one was years ago? So many questions, but I'll wait till you're back home to pepper you with more. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, K1,
Looks like this pesky problem has spread beyond the Frances to other caminos. LT and I also heard about them on the Aragones, and one of the cleanest, nicest albergues (Sanguesa) closed the morning we left it for fumigation. This just seems to be a continuing problem with no solution, and we'll just have to cope, I guess. Glad to see a post, you are getting close! What is the albergue like in Campobecerros? Is it back in the train station like the old one was years ago? So many questions, but I'll wait till you're back home to pepper you with more. Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie: I stayed in the new private albergue in Campobecerros in March. The train station albergue was closed and still filled with construction workers. The new albergue is located on the road to the right as you enter the village (lots of signs). It is a new construction with a single large room with 6-7 bunk beds and one large bathroom with shower and washing machine. Attached to a private home. It was very clean. I was all alone and only 8 people had stayed before me...I think it opened in January or February.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
About Campobecerros albergue can second Laura except that there are two bathrooms, washing machine and large terrace at the back. Will post also photos after return.
Owner said that in the winter he will finished the kitchen with dinning room. And there will also be frigorifico which I found essential this year :)

Albergue in Xunqueira is bedbug free!

D'olors an I keep praying we are staying save of this pest. K1 Saturday I am taking the train to Ourense to start walking to Santiago. Hmm wondering if the pest has been carried forward that far...it would be possible with bikes. BTW how is Brian doing?

Folks,
It sounds like a repetition of 2014. I travelled from Seville 19 September, arriving SdC 8 November. My buddy and I avoided bedbugs using the recommendations of a friend travelling a few days ahead of us. He had bedbugs twice, but notified us of closures on account of bedbugs (usually for the remainder of the season), other places to avoid, and 'clean' places - some albergues, some cheap hotels, some casas rurales. We paid more for accommodation as a result, an option not available to some. We arrived unscathed in SdC. The links elsewhere on this site give good guidance for avoiding bedbugs, but I acknowledge that it remains a bit of a lottery. I look for all bedding being provided, sealed mattresses, impeccable cleanliness, and availability of hot washing and drying facilitites. For my part I accept the need to leave backpacks outside under cover, taking only essential gear inside in provided buckets, keeping all gear off beds, and treatment of packs etc with Permethrin in order to avoid transporting the critters onwards.

I heard a rather complacent comment from someone about bedbugs being a fact of life on the Sanabres, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
D'olors an I keep praying we are staying save of this pest. K1 Saturday I am taking the train to Ourense to start walking to Santiago. Hmm wondering if the pest has been carried forward that far...it would be possible with bikes. BTW how is Brian doing?
Hi, Ingrid!
I've met Brian on the way to Campobecerros. Grass actually going to Laza - from Lubian!!! And didn't know about albergue in Campobecerros. That's how we met. On that 50km stretch he got cracks in hiš feet/toes and had problems since then. Also he's highly allergic to repellents and is usually sleeping on kitchen tables :)
We lost tracks yesterday, because I've stopped in Xunqueira because of shiatica pains I've got and today in Ourense he's nowhere to be seen or found. I guess he just moved forward. Do you have any usefull info I could notice jim through??? We didn't exchange contacts and he was really a fun to be with.

Tomorrow it's my rest day in Ourense and will continue on Friday to Cea, Castro Dozon, Silleda, Ponte Ulla and SdC on Tuesday. Will you catch me???

Hi, Ingrid!
I've met Brian on the way to Campobecerros. Grass actually going to Laza - from Lubian!!! And didn't know about albergue in Campobecerros. That's how we met. On that 50km stretch he got cracks in hiš feet/toes and had problems since then. Also he's highly allergic to repellents and is usually sleeping on kitchen tables :)
We lost tracks yesterday, because I've stopped in Xunqueira because of shiatica pains I've got and today in Ourense he's nowhere to be seen or found. I guess he just moved forward. Do you have any usefull info I could notice jim through??? We didn't exchange contacts and he was really a fun to be with.

Tomorrow it's my rest day in Ourense and will continue on Friday to Cea, Castro Dozon, Silleda, Ponte Ulla and SdC on Tuesday. Will you catch me???

Oh, lucky you, K1, with a rest day in Ourense. I assume you are going to take the little train out to the baths? I know you walk on a budget, but so many people have recommended the private place (right next door to the free municipal place) as offering a lavish experience for a very low price, so maybe it'd be worth a splurge. If you get into the cloister next door to the albergue, I'd love to see some pics when you're back and posting. I've been there several times, and it was never open. The last time I was there, I learned the opening was set for the following week. :mad:

Hard to believe you're almost in Santiago! Hoping that your sciatica pain stays at a very low and tolerable level -- maybe the thermal baths will have a healing effect, fingers crossed. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Ingrid!

Hi K1...no I won't catch you...starting in Ourense on Sunday. I have no info on Brian...an no info regarding potential bugs beyond there. Planning on staying at the Monastery de Oseira. I don't walk the distances you all do... so unless you hang out in Santiago for a few days..not much chance to catch up. Ultreia

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi K1...no I won't catch you...starting in Ourense on Sunday. I have no info on Brian...an no info regarding potential bugs beyond there. Planning on staying at the Monastery de Oseira. I don't walk the distances you all do... so unless you hang out in Santiago for a few days..not much chance to catch up. Ultreia
I won't stay another day in Santiago but will return on 11th from Fisterra and spend the afternoon there. If you will still hang around we can meet.

Oh, lucky you, K1, with a rest day in Ourense. I assume you are going to take the little train out to the baths? I know you walk on a budget, but so many people have recommended the private place (right next door to the free municipal place) as offering a lavish experience for a very low price, so maybe it'd be worth a splurge. If you get into the cloister next door to the albergue, I'd love to see some pics when you're back and posting. I've been there several times, and it was never open. The last time I was there, I learned the opening was set for the following week. :mad:

Hard to believe you're almost in Santiago! Hoping that your sciatica pain stays at a very low and tolerable level -- maybe the thermal baths will have a healing effect, fingers crossed. Buen camino, Laurie
I still don't know what will do today. Allowed myself sleeping till 10AM and that's the splurge ;)
Muni albergue is 6€ and I don't remember any private place nextdoor but will take a look. It's light rain in Ourense and maybe I'll just do nothing today :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I got another 50 or so bedbug bites in Xunta albergue in Ourense. In the righthand dormitory, first lower bunk on the right.
And hospitalero was (prior to that) a real prick. I didn't like the city when I walked in (almost nothing nice there...) and I sure don't like it any more after this.

Cea albergue was nice and bedbug free. At least for me.

Now in Castro Dozon with swimming pool by but ashamed to take a swim with my right half of the butt looking swelled like Jennifer Lopez rear;)

Castro Dozon albergue is safe.
They also offer single or double rooms now.

K1 the 11th is the day I need to be at Miraz at some point. enjoy Fisterra.
Then it is another time we'll meet. Contact me, please if in Spain and especially if in Austria or even Slovenija ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I met a Polish guy today in Bandeira and he confirmed infestation in Mombuey, so definitely avoid that albergue because the priest there doesn't give a s*** about us!!!

There are hundreds of mosquitos in A Laxe albergue. Told by owner of Ma.Jose Rte. there and the mentioned Polish guy.

It depends
I met a Polish guy today in Bandeira and he confirmed infestation in Mombuey, so definitely avoid that albergue because the priest there doesn't give a s*** about us!!!

There are hundreds of mosquitos in A Laxe albergue. Told by owner of Ma.Jose Rte. there and the mentioned Polish guy.
Which room you are in...but the flies are everywhere. Ingrid

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Walked the VdlP in March when it was 0 Celsius (32F) in the morning. Stayed in all the places mentioned with bedbugs (even the same rooms/beds described) and those little critters never woke up! Another reason I love walking in the winter time:)!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
seems this can arise anywhere - i loved my stay in Santa Marta last April. It was clean and modern.
A closed albergue on VDLP can be a serious inconvenience due to lack of alternatives.

And I know it's been said before, but even the cleanest most well maintained albergues can be attacked, it just takes one pilgrim carrier. I stayed in the albergue in Sanguesa this year and found not a speck of dirt. It was spotless. We later learned that the day we left the albergue they closed it for fumigation because several pilgrims had been infected. Luckily we escaped without picking one up. Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back