• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2015 OCTOBER PILGRIMS

C clearly

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Most years since 2012
@Griffin57 and I have agreed that she will keep track of the September 2015 walkers, and I will keep track of the October 2015 pilgrims in this thread. So, please post your details (start date and location) as replies to this thread and I'll add them to the original post at the top. Be sure to keep an eye on the late-September list as well, since they might catch up with us!

September 25: @movinmaggie (SJPP); @Seren (SJPP)
September 26: @ellsea (SJPP); @Pawel (SJPP)
September 27:@elva (with Barb, SJPP)
September 28: @jasmine2015 (SJPP)
September 29: @JPL (SJPP)
September 30: @Albertagirl (SJPP); @kandmg (SJPP); @Madge (SJPP); @Njoyzlife (and family, SJPP); @CJGoct15 (or next day, from SJPP); @lynn1122 (SJPP)
October 1: @CaminoDebrita (SJPP); @nfoster (SJPP); @NiniSum (SJPP); @omalley (SJPP)
October 2: @Virginia Bushell (SJPP); @jimmyd (Ambasmesetas); @camino07 (Roncesvalles)
October 3: @Beate (Irun, on El Norte); @Adventurebound (with 2 others, from SJPP)
October 4: @northerngirl (Burgos); @SheriOlson (& Brad, SJPP); @Vicky Anders (SJPP); @Stephen Alldridge (SJPP); @Celtic Pilgrim (with 2 others from Villafranca Montes de Oca)
October 5: @Shurolla (Villa Franca del Bierzo)
October 6: @yagocid (SJPP); @lukewc (SJPP); @DesH (SJPP)
October 7: @Bala (SJPP); @seagull group of 4 (Sarria); @7Marie (SJPP); @Me Fein (Irun); @BeckyB (Ponferrada)
October 8: @Dael (from Santiago walking eastward!); @OTH86 (SJPP); @Scorpiogirl (SJPP); @PhyllisRowland (SJPP); @jazzer2 (SJPP)
October 9: @scruffy1 (Bilbao); @Ioana Tomescu (SJPP); @Sinfected (Bilbao)
October 10: @CaminoK (SJPP)
October 11:
October 12: @Raylene (by bicycle, start Oct 12-15, from SJPP)
October 13: @alansykes (Ruta del Ebro at Sant Jaume d'Enveja)
October 14: @C clearly (SJPP); @elysiandreamx (SJPP); @LauraK (Leon,on the Camino Salvador and Primitivo)
October 15: @ricicitosdeplata (Astorga); @jsalt (SJPP); @Lorenina (SJPP); @Kerrygold (SJPP); @stargazer (SJPP)
October 16: @seaston (Sarria)
October 17: @Slodola (Leon); @Devora (and Connie, from Sarria); @JacquiS (SJPP)
October 18: @melisa_s (Burgos)
October 19:
October 20: @Verano (SJPP)
October 21:
October 22:
October 23: @HeidiL (Burgos)
October 24:
October 25: @Fitzlucy7 (Logrono-Burgos)
October 26:
October 27:
October 28: @Ross Sheeran (and wife, SJPP)
October 29:
October 30:
October 31: @Timothy S Mizen (Roncesvalles)

Nov. 12: @davidduff (Leon)
Nov. 19: @AL. J. (SJPP)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Griffin57 and I have agreed that she will keep track of the September 2015 walkers, and I will keep track of the October 2015 pilgrims in this separate thread. So, please post your details (start date and location) as replies to this thread and I'll add them to the original post at the top. Be sure to keep an eye out on the late-September list as well, since they might catch up with us!

@C clearly: Please, given the option I would much rather be on the October list than on the last day of the September list. These people will certainly be my camino companions as I walk through October and November. Can you arrange that?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks so much! I like this better than the calendar :)

Thanks Debs, but I can't take credit for it. Deadfred did this last year and his thread was epic! The pilgrims all started talking to each other especially the ones you could see you might meet. I really did meet some of those I'd talked to, kept bumping into them and spent time with them in Santiago! gmonkey and MonkMoses.

The excitement in the thread really built up the closer we all got to going, especially when Joe started to turn our names green as we began our journey!
Just easier to see and only for Frances in September. And now thanks to Clare another seperate one for October.
Sarah

Last edited:
@C clearly: Please, given the option I would much rather be on the October list than on the last day of the September list. These people will certainly be my camino companions as I walk through October and November. Can you arrange that?

Albertagirl, C clearly and I have agreed that a few pilgrims will be on both, we will overlap late September and early October, so you can be on both threads!
Buen camino
Sarah

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all, my friend and I will start from Irun on the Norte on October 3. We only have one week off work this time, so we plan to make it to Bilbao, continuing next year. This is our first camino experience, and this forum has been a great help already. Thanks a lot!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi CClearly, I put myself down in Griffin's thread for my departure of Sept 25, but will be on the Camino all of October, so if you would add me to October.
Thanks….movinmaggie (Vancouver Island, BC).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Griffin57 and I have agreed that she will keep track of the September 2015 walkers, and I will keep track of the October 2015 pilgrims in this thread. So, please post your details (start date and location) as replies to this thread and I'll add them to the original post at the top. Be sure to keep an eye on the late-September list as well, since they might catch up with us!

September 25: @movinmaggie (St Jean)
September 26:
September 27:
September 28:
September 29:
September 30: @Albertagirl (St Jean)

October 1: @CaminoDebrita (St Jean)
October 2:
October 3: @Beate (Irun, on El Norte)
October 4: @northerngirl (Burgos)
October 5:
October 6: @Bala (St. Jean)
October 7:
October 8:
October 9: @scruffy1 (Bilbao)
October 10:
October 11:
October 12:
October 13:
October 14: @C clearly (St Jean)
October 15: @ricicitosdeplata (Astorga)
October 16:
October 17:
October 18:
October 19:
October 20:
October 21:
October 22:
October 23:
October 24:
October 25:
October 26:
October 27:
October 28:
October 29:
October 30:
October 31:

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

September 25: @movinmaggie (St Jean)
September 26:
September 27:
September 28:
September 29:
September 30: @Albertagirl (St Jean)

October 1: @CaminoDebrita (St Jean)
October 2:
October 5:
October 6: @Bala (St. Jean)
October 7:
October 8:
October 10:
October 11:
October 12:
October 13:
October 14: @C clearly (St Jean); @elysiandreamx (St Jean)
October 15: @ricicitosdeplata (Astorga)
October 16:
October 17:
October 18:
October 19:
October 20:
October 21:
October 22:
October 23:
October 24:
October 25:
October 26:
October 27:
October 28:
October 29:
October 30:
October 31:

I start in Villa Franca Del Bierzo 10-5-2015
Welcome! As you can see, I've added you to the list. Since @Griffin57 has the first few days of October on her September thread, maybe she'll add you to that list as well, since many September departures will be passing through Villa Franca del Bierzo around the time you'll start. (Obviously we can't track of everyone's passage along the Camino over the month, but this seems quite obvious!)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi - I'm bumping this thread so newcomers won't miss it. If you are planning to start the camino any date in October, just post your start date and location below, and I will add your name to the list by editing the post at the very beginning of the thread. (Lists quoted in later posts won't be up-to-date, so check back to the first one for the latest version.)

My training is non-existent at the moment due to my healing stress fracture, but I endlessly tweak my equipment and supplies.

How is your training and preparation going?

Hi all, my friend and I will start from Irun on the Norte on October 3. We only have one week off work this time, so we plan to make it to Bilbao, continuing next year. This is our first camino experience, and this forum has been a great help already. Thanks a lot!
Hi Beate , wish you both a wonderful journey. The plan for me is to do the Norte in 2017 and the Camino Portugu'es next year with my wife. Wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I and a friend are hoping to begin our Camino on the 28th of October. We are hoping to begin in St. Jean but that will depend on the weather. Cannot begin to express how excited we are.

I and a friend are hoping to begin our Camino on the 28th of October. We are hoping to begin in St. Jean but that will depend on the weather. Cannot begin to express how excited we are.
I will add you to the list. If you change your dates, just let me know. Last year I started at SJPP on October 16. The weather was excellent, although it was VERY windy on Day 1 over the Napoleon route.

Orisson had just closed for the season so I had to go all the way to Roncesvalles in one day. It was doable, but this year I'm hoping Orisson will still be open. I've emailed them but haven't heard back yet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, C clearly, I gave you the wrong date (great start, huh? :p ). We will be leaving St. Jean on Oct. 7, not 6. Please change me on the list. Thanks!!

My training is. ... coming along. :) Not as extensive as I'd planned, but not bad, with regular 4-6 mile walks and starting to increase the weight in my pack.

I hope your healing is going well and rapidly!

Bala

As long as I don't mess up entirely and miss the flight over! Actually, we're arriving in Spain on the 6th and spending the night at Pension Corazon. But our camino begins the next morning in St. Jean :) :), so I won't consider myself completely confused ... yet. :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Are you going straight to Roncesvalles in one day?

We're not going straight through, but I'm afraid I can't shed any light on Orisson. We're planning to go to Valcarlos, spending the night at one of the little hostels in/near the village. If it's a spectacularly beautiful day, though, Plan B is to hike up to Orisson, then taxi back to St. Jean for the night. Then taxi back up the next morning to go over the mountain. But that doesn't answer your question :cool: . Hope someone else can!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A friend and i are starting from St Jean on Sept 29th and staying at Orisson.
Do you have confirmed reservation for Orisson? If so, that gets almost to October, so the rest of us should be able to book soon. I've put you on the October list at the top.

A friend and i are starting from St Jean on Sept 29th and staying at Orisson... So that pretty much puts us walking through October. Looking forward to meeting this big family aling the way.
Hello , you will like the alberque Orisson . I wish you and your friend a Buen Camino , Peter .

Do you have confirmed reservation for Orisson? If so, that gets almost to October, so the rest of us should be able to book soon. I've put you on the October list at the top.

@C clearly: I have a confirmed reservation at Orisson for the night of Sept. 30 and I am pretty sure that CaminoDebrita has a confirmed reservation for the night of Oct. 1, so that definitely puts us into October.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes it is prebooked and confirmed

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've completed Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago de Compostela on 16 June (26 days) and thinking of going again on 4 October to 30 October. Can anyone inform on what weather I could expect.

I've completed Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago de Compostela on 16 June (26 days) and thinking of going again on 4 October to 30 October. Can anyone inform on what weather I could expect.
Hi ---I haven't been, so am only repeating hearsay, but according to my research and queries, could be very sunny, but not as hot, and also, expect rain in Galicia. I understand that in October, it's best to come prepared for any weather.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bet I'll
Hi Cclearly - I and a friend will be starting on Sept 30 from SJPP. Training - going okay but need to find some hills!
meet you. I will spend the night of the 30th in SJPP, but will start walking the next day.

I know how the weather was like in 2013 when my wife walked the Camino Frances. She walked fro september till half october and she had great weather .
Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter ..

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a reservation at Orisson for 15 October, so will be starting from SJPP that morning. Jill

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

September 25: @movinmaggie (SJPP)
September 26:
September 27:
September 28:
September 29: @elva (St Jean)
September 30: @Albertagirl (SJPP); @NiniSum (SJPP)

October 1: @CaminoDebrita (SJPP)
October 2:
October 6:
October 7: @Bala (SJPP)
October 8:
October 10:
October 11:
October 12:
October 14: @C clearly (SJPP); @elysiandreamx (SJPP)
October 15: @ricicitosdeplata (Astorga); @jsalt (SJPP)
October 16:
October 17:
October 18:
October 19:
October 20:
October 21:
October 22:
October 23:
October 24:
October 25:
October 26:
October 27:
October 28: @davidduff (SJPP)
October 29:
October 30:
October 31:

SheriOlson(SJPP) with husband Brad Olson arrive in SJPP the evening of October 3...must fly back home Oct. 30.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

September 26:
September 27:
September 28:
September 29: @elva (St Jean)

October 2:
October 4: @northerngirl (Burgos); @SheriOlson (& Brad, SJPP)
October 6:
October 8:
October 10:
October 11:
October 12:
October 16:
October 17:
October 18:
October 19:
October 20:
October 21:
October 22:
October 23:
October 24:
October 25:
October 26:
October 27:
October 28: @davidduff (SJPP); @Ross Sheeran (and wife, SJPP)
October 29:
October 30:
October 31:

Hi Griffin, I will start from SJPP on 28 September. WOuld you please add my name on the list? Would love to be able to meet and walk within sight of other pilgrims. Thank you so much for this initiative :)

Hi Griffin, I will start from SJPP on 28 September. WOuld you please add my name on the list? Would love to be able to meet and walk within sight of other pilgrims. Thank you so much for this initiative :)

You're added Jasmine, its a lovely time to walk, my first steps on the camino were on the same date 2 years ago. :D

Buen camino
Sarah

September 26:
September 27:
September 29: @elva (SJPP)

October 2:
October 6:
October 8:
October 10:
October 11:
October 12:
October 16:
October 17:
October 18:
October 19:
October 20:
October 21:
October 22:
October 23:
October 24:
October 25:
October 26:
October 27:
October 28: @davidduff (SJPP); @Ross Sheeran (and wife, SJPP)
October 29:
October 30:
October 31:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I plan to start in Burgos on October 18th.

Fly back on the 10th of November. I previously walked from SJPP to Burgos.

Also, where can I find an updated list of Albergues that will be open in October to November? I 've seen a lot of posts that the information is in the Pilgrims office in SJPP but I don't plan on starting there in October. Thanks.

Also, where can I find an updated list of Albergues that will be open in October to November? I 've seen a lot of posts that the information is in the Pilgrims office in SJPP but I don't plan on starting there in October. Thanks.
Hi Melisa, can't help you with the list but I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

where can I find an updated list of Albergues that will be open in October to November?
Hi - I've added you to the first post. I'm not sure where you can get an updated list. I have one from 2014 that I got in SJPP. If no one else responds with one, I could scan it for you.

Hi - I'm bumping this thread so newcomers won't miss it. If you are planning to start the camino any date in October, just post your start date and location below, and I will add your name to the list by editing the post at the very beginning of the thread. (Lists quoted in later posts won't be up-to-date, so check back to the first one for the latest version.)

My training is non-existent at the moment due to my healing stress fracture, but I endlessly tweak my equipment and supplies.

Hey @C clearly --

I have been hiking about four days per week, and working a lot (on my feet) on the farm. I've dumped a fair amount of body fat, but would like to carry less weight, so am working on that.

I have my gear mostly sorted out, and will be making some decisions about foot gear---but am not quite ready to do that. I routinely hike in trail runners or my Vasque boots, and my feet are pretty good in everything, except for a right large toenail that seems to want to "in grow"---I'm sure it will be the first one that I lose.

My strength has gotten much better, and I am glad to always be using walking sticks--Diamond Z poles---as they have great increased musculature in my arms, shoulders, and upper body. I will begin a plank program----uh, when?! It's on the agenda.

Because daughter's wedding is nine days before departure, I'm quite busy with that---to say the least.

My darling friend the seamstress will probably be helping me with some sewing projects....maybe that cool bag you created!

Hi - I've added you to the first post. I'm not sure where you can get an updated list. I have one from 2014 that I got in SJPP. If no one else responds with one, I could scan it for you.
C clearly:
The Eroski consumer Camino app gives dates of closure for albergues. I cannot guarantee that it is up to date, but the app is online and updates itself. I am going to rely on it for my October/November camino.

Do keep in mind that once you get to Galicia all the Xunta albergues generally are open throughout the 'off' season. As you know they are a great value at 6 € per night including heat. By late November often I am the only pilgrim stopping which can be rather spooky when the pipes gurgle in the night!

It's on the agenda.
Yes, it is getting close enough that the agenda is becoming more specific. My training has been very disciplined and focused. Unfortunately it involves ZERO walking except around the house and yard, and parking lots. I am 5 weeks into a 6-8 week rest for my stress fracture. On August 5 I visit the podiatrist and talk about orthotics and how to avoid future stress fractures. (Notice that I didn't say anything about asking if it is OK to walk the camino.) I think my foot is substantially better - I have no pain but I still "notice" the ball of my foot if I walk barefoot on a hard floor. I wear my camino-crocs around the house for that reason, and that cheers me up. I am going to stroll 3-4 km this Friday on an expedition to buy a new sleeping bag (hurray) and meet up with some former colleagues who are not lucky or old enough to be retired like me.

From August 3 I will have 10 weeks to train before departure. It is what it is.

I have finished my new camino bag (for phone, guide, notebook, pencil, daily cash, credential) - truly a masterpiece, if I do say so. It weighs 75 g, and I think I could do it a bit lighter next time. (Yes, I have no doubt there will be a next time for making bags, too.)

[Edited this to add photo]20150722_182453.jpg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, it is getting close enough that the agenda is becoming more specific. My training has been very disciplined and focused. Unfortunately it involves ZERO walking except around the house and yard, and parking lots. I am 5 weeks into a 6-8 week rest for my stress fracture. On August 5 I visit the podiatrist and talk about orthotics and how to avoid future stress fractures. (Notice that I didn't say anything about asking if it is OK to walk the camino.) I think my foot is substantially better - I have no pain but I still "notice" the ball of my foot if I walk barefoot on a hard floor. I wear my camino-crocs around the house for that reason, and that cheers me up. I am going to stroll 3-4 km this Friday on an expedition to buy a new sleeping bag (hurray) and meet up with some former colleagues who are not lucky or old enough to be retired like me.

From August 3 I will have 10 weeks to train before departure. It is what it is.

I have finished my new camino bag (for phone, guide, notebook, pencil, daily cash, credential) - truly a masterpiece, if I do say so. It weighs 75 g, and I think I could do it a bit lighter next time. (Yes, I have no doubt there will be a next time for making bags, too.)

[Edited this to add photo]View attachment 20007

C clearly:
There are certainly challenges involved in preparing physically for a camino. I started brisk walking in the spring, walking about 45 min. to work every day. This caused the recurrence of various chronic lower leg problems, so I quit extra walking and concentrated on improving the condition of my knees and lower legs. The main result of this was the development of plantar fasciitis, which has hung around for a month now with very little improvement, in spite of stretches and icing. But I have a plan. In September, only 18 days before I leave for my camino, I am going into the mountains for a ten day hike. Hopefully, the plantar fasciitis will have disappeared, or eased off, by then and I shall be able to test my strength and endurance in the mountains and prepare my spirit for my walk. In the meantime, I continue to do exercises, avoid long walks, and live in hope that all will be well for my camino. Like you, I do not even consider not going, but I take the best care of myself that I can. I hope for a wonderful camino for both of us.

C clearly:
There are certainly challenges involved in preparing physically for a camino. I started brisk walking in the spring, walking about 45 min. to work every day. This caused the recurrence of various chronic lower leg problems, so I quit extra walking and concentrated on improving the condition of my knees and lower legs. The main result of this was the development of plantar fasciitis, which has hung around for a month now with very little improvement, in spite of stretches and icing. But I have a plan. In September, only 18 days before I leave for my camino, I am going into the mountains for a ten day hike. Hopefully, the plantar fasciitis will have disappeared, or eased off, by then and I shall be able to test my strength and endurance in the mountains and prepare my spirit for my walk. In the meantime, I continue to do exercises, avoid long walks, and live in hope that all will be well for my camino. Like you, I do not even consider not going, but I take the best care of myself that I can. I hope for a wonderful camino for both of us.

I had Plantar's Fasciitis and Achilles Tendonitis--one on right foot, one on left--and it was a lot of work to get them tamed. Good acupuncture finally put the Plantar's Fasciitis at rest. I also stretch every morning before getting out of bed. I also bet you are using the tennis ball under your foot, rolling it around? Both maladies are painful and annoying. Wishing my October friends the very best----as I sit here with a pulled back muscle! It's better after a good sleep, so I will probably get in a hike today.

Thank you for adding me to the list. Does your list have days of when the albergues close?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Does your list have days of when the albergues close?
It says, for example, `open from March to October` (in French). However it doesn`t say whether that is the beginning, middle or end of the month. Others say "Open all year" although I remember last year finding one such albergue that was closed just for one week, that week in Oct-Nov that I passed through.

@Keepupkeepon35 - I see that you started a reply on this thread, and you are a new member, so you might have had a problem posting. If you would like to be added to the list of pilgrims starting in October, just reply to this thread with your date and starting location, and I'll add you.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you for creating this thread because I am new to the pilgrimage. I'm planning to start in Sarria on October 16 and hesitated to post because I'm only doing a shorter walk than most.

Still, I appreciate knowing that someone is aware of my plans because I'll be traveling alone. I plan to only walk 7-8 miles each day and to enjoy the culture and history along the way. I'm recently retired and hope that this walk gives me a sense of clarity about my future as I'll celebrate my 65th birthday on the Camino.

I'm currently walking 5 miles/day with an 8 mile walk on the weekend. I plan to add the backpack and walking poles in September but right now it's very hot here in Florida.

I'm planning to start in Sarria on October 16
Welcome. You will enjoy that walk from Sarria! There will be lots of people on the path. You can look at the September list and see who might be catching up with you - those who start in mid-September from St. Jean, for example. It sounds like your training is going well. I am in my first year of retirement and enjoying it thoroughly!

Thank you for creating this thread because I am new to the pilgrimage. I'm planning to start in Sarria on October 16 and hesitated to post because I'm only doing a shorter walk than most.

Still, I appreciate knowing that someone is aware of my plans because I'll be traveling alone. I plan to only walk 7-8 miles each day and to enjoy the culture and history along the way. I'm recently retired and hope that this walk gives me a sense of clarity about my future as I'll celebrate my 65th birthday on the Camino.

I'm currently walking 5 miles/day with an 8 mile walk on the weekend. I plan to add the backpack and walking poles in September but right now it's very hot here in Florida.
Hi, you will enjoy the walk to Santiago. It's a nice part of the Camino to walk . I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

€83,-
Hi,

I am considering walking this October as well. I wonder if it is still very busy during this period and if many of the refugios will be closed at this time.

Thanks for any help, I will continue to browse online to see if I can find out more.

Alex

I am considering walking this October as well. I wonder if it is still very busy during this period and if many of the refugios will be closed at this time.
Last year, I left SJPP in mid-October, but had to leave at Sahagun for family reasons. This year I'll try again. I thought the number of pilgrims was perfect - enough for company when you wanted, but no "crowds". Some albergues are closed but there are enough open, as long as you leave some flexibility in your schedule.

I see you have walked before, but I presume it was at a different time of year.

Hi,

Thanks for any help, I will continue to browse online to see if I can find out more.

Alex
Hi Alex, in October is it not that busy anymore. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I was looking for this info as well. I found the website for the Pilgrim's office in SJPP and here is their contact info:
http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip/spip.php?article2740

I can't find the info on the site, but will write to them to see if they have a list they can send. I'll post the info here if they have it.

Last year, I left SJPP in mid-October, but had to leave at Sahagun for family reasons. This year I'll try again. I thought the number of pilgrims was perfect - enough for company when you wanted, but no "crowds". Some albergues are closed but there are enough open, as long as you leave some flexibility in your schedule.

I see you have walked before, but I presume it was at a different time of year.

Thank you for that info, good to know it won't be too crowded or too quiet! Yes I did walk--both times from SJPP (July-August). The difference between 2001 and 2009 was already significant, so end of September this time around could be good. I'm just a little worried about how cold it might get in October!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I was looking for this info as well. I found the website for the Pilgrim's office in SJPP and here is their contact info:
http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip/spip.php?article2740

I can't find the info on the site, but will write to them to see if they have a list they can send. I'll post the info here if they have it.

Hello, I got a reply today saying that all lodgings remain open during the September to November period and that I can get the list in SJPP (even if I asked if they had electronic copies). I tried one last message to see if it is possible to get a copy for people not starting in SJPP. Will keep you all posted.

all lodgings remain open during the September to November period
Hmm. I wonder if they were referring only to lodgings in SJPP.

I'm quite sure that not all albergues on the Camino from SJPP to Santiago will be open to the end of November. I specifically asked @Rebekah Scott on this thread about the San Anton albergue and she said they will close at the end of September.

The 2014 list from the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP had about 200 albergues listed, with about 20% indicating a closure by the end of October. I doubt that they have all changed. The 2015 list available on this forum site (under Resources) has twice as many albergues listed, but does not include information about whether they close in the fall.

Thanks for letting us know what you find out,

€60,-
Hmm. I wonder if they were referring only to lodgings in SJPP.

I'm quite sure that not all albergues on the Camino from SJPP to Santiago will be open to the end of November. I specifically asked @Rebekah Scott on this thread about the San Anton albergue and she said they will close at the end of September.

The 2014 list from the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP had about 200 albergues listed, with about 20% indicating a closure by the end of October. I doubt that they have all changed. The 2015 list available on this forum site (under Resources) has twice as many albergues listed, but does not include information about whether they close in the fall.

Thanks for letting us know what you find out,

Yeah, I was a bit skeptical about that answer as well, although maybe as you mentioned, they meant for SJPP only. I tried to make my question clear though. Oh well, fingers crossed and hopefully I can get the list here, we shall see:)

@Alex Rochette - The list from SJPP with the closure information isn't 100% reliable, anyway, and as I mentioned, it lists only half as many albergues as some other lists. I wouldn't worry too much - just don't count on the one albergue in a very small town being open in November. Be prepared to walk a few more kilometres.

Hello CClearly,
I would like to ask if you could remove from the October pilgrim list as I have to wait until November 12 to start now. I won't be able to do the whole Frances route, but will start from Leon and end in Finisterre. Hopefully everything that can get in the way has done so.
Thanks, David

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi @davidduff . You can see that I've moved you to the end of the list. If all goes well, I will be past Leon by Nov 12, but only by a few days, so you never know! There may be later October pilgrims who you meet at that point. Hope your plans proceed smoothly now!

Do you have to have a reservation at Orisson? We are hoping to make it to Roncevalles, but since it will be our first day, we thought we could decide after arriving at Orisson?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Orisson is very popular. It will be busy when you plan to walk at the end of September. There might be space if you just walk in but a reservation would be more certain.

Last edited:
Do you have to have a reservation at Orisson?
Only if you want to guarantee a place there. I don't know what your chances would be on that date, without a reservation.

Last October I left the day after the Refuge Orisson closed for the winter, so I had to go all the way (as a moderately fit 65 year old). However, I sent some of my stuff ahead by transport and that helped a lot. I think an overloaded pack is likely to be the worst part of that first day. If you really want to go to Roncesvalles via the Route Napoleon, then send a bag ahead. (But then you won't have the choice to stop at Orisson!) Make sure whatever pack you do carry for the day is still well fitted and comfortable (I used by regulator back pack and sent my other things in a stuff bag.) This year, I'm going Orisson closes, so I have made a reservation to stay over, just because I can and I have the time.

If you take the route through Valcarlos you would be able to make the decision to stay over in Valcarlos, once you get there. That route is supposed to be lovely as well.

September 26:
September 27:
September 29: @elva (SJPP)
September 30: @Albertagirl (SJPP); @NiniSum (SJPP); @kandmg (SJPP)
October 1: @CaminoDebrita (SJPP); Nfoster I'm arriving SJPP on September 30 and walking out Oct 1

October 2:
October 3: @Beate (Irun, on El Norte); @Adventurebound (with 2 others, from SJPP)
October 6:
October 8:
October 10:
October 11:
October 12:
October 16: @seaston (Sarria)
October 17:
October 18: @melisa_s (Burgos)
October 19:
October 20:
October 21:
October 22:
October 23:
October 24:
October 25:
October 26:
October 27:
October 28: @Ross Sheeran (and wife, SJPP)
October 29:
October 30:
October 31:

Nov. 12: @davidduff (Leon)

AlbertaGirl and NiniSum - you will be our walking partners starting on September 30! Can't wait to meet our fellow pilgrims. This is our first Camino so I am happy to see at least one veteran.
Have you made reservations at Orisson, or are you planning to go for Roncevalles? (Moral support would be welcome if we decide to do the latter :).)
I have been faithfully following MSPATH's recommendations for months now - I am so impressed with your 11 Caminos!

C clearly - For the option to send some of our belongings ahead of us - do we do that in SJPDP? And how do we arrange it?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For the option to send some of our belongings ahead of us - do we do that in SJPDP? And how do we arrange it?
You just ask the hosts at the place you are staying in SJPP, or I suppose in the Pilgrim Office too. You will need to put a label on your bag, put 8 Euros or so in an envelope, and leave it for pickup. At least, that's what I did last year. It is a daily occurrence between all towns on the camino so it will be easy to arrange.

As Claire says it will be easy to arrange from each stop. However if you wish to transport extra baggage directly to Santiago from SJPdP Express Bourricot can take care of it.

@kandmg - I should have said that I think the price for transport varies depending on the distance. For example, the SJPP-Roncesvalles stage may be more expensive than most and as I recall it was 8 Euros.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
AlbertaGirl and NiniSum - you will be our walking partners starting on September 30! Can't wait to meet our fellow pilgrims. This is our first Camino so I am happy to see at least one veteran.
Have you made reservations at Orisson, or are you planning to go for Roncevalles? (Moral support would be welcome if we decide to do the latter :).)
I have been faithfully following MSPATH's recommendations for months now - I am so impressed with your 11 Caminos!
Hi, when you stay at the albergue Orisson you will have a great time, it's a nice place. I wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

I'll start walking on 1 Oct, and will spend that night at Orisson. Bet I could catch up to you at some point! Say hi---to Deb with the red Deuter pack and the Pilgrim's Forum patch!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back