• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

albergues on the portuguese coastal route??

portstewart99

Time of past OR future Camino
;camino Frances (2010) Camino portuges (may 2013))
Is there any information anywhere about Albergues on the Portuguese coastal route?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Which part of the Coastal you are intending to walk ?
Some people walk from Porto to Vila do Conde and then head on the central route
Some walk to Caminha and head on to Valença do Minho on the central route
Some walk on to Vigo and head on to Redondela on the central route .
There are several albergues on the various routes ,mentioned above.

We are starting in Porto and wanting to follow the coast as far as possible as we completed the inland route a couple of years ago and wanted to repeat as little as possible. I have read somewhere that we would have to rejoin at Redondela but can't find any guidance up to that point.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We are starting in Porto and wanting to follow the coast as far as possible as we completed the inland route a couple of years ago and wanted to repeat as little as possible. I have read somewhere that we would have to rejoin at Redondela but can't find any guidance up to that point.
That is correct

I'll send you a pm !

Hola @portstewart99
I walked the coastal two times last year.
Let me know if you have any questions?
Buen camino

You will repeat the part Porto to Vila do Conde as you chose for the coastal detour instead of Porto to Vilarinho on the first day.
And from Redondela to Santiago but you could do the Salnés route and than you only walk again from Redondela to Pontevedra and Padron to Santiago.So that can be a change compared your first caminho Português you did before

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi folks,

Does anyone have any accommodation suggestions for Vila do Conde, Esposende and Viana d C?

Cheers

Andy

Viana do Castelo is a very nice seaside town with a pilgrim albergue, S. João da Cruz dos Caminhos. However if you are searching for private accommodation, consider the OLarenjeiro, rua Rua Manuel Espregueira, 24. It is a charming newly furnished small place with a very good dining room. Just before Christmas 2014 a double room with private bath and delicious breakfast was 45 euros. Quite a bargain!

Bom Caminho!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Obrigado Margaret.

Viana do Castelo is a very nice seaside town with a pilgrim albergue, S. João da Cruz dos Caminhos. However if you are searching for private accommodation, consider the Hotel Residencial Laranjeira, rua Candido dos Reis 45. It a charming newly furnished small place with a very good dining room. Just before Christmas 2014 a double room with private bath and delicious breakfast was 45 euros. Quite a bargain!

Bom Caminho!
O Laranjeiro the hostal ( Not the hotel with the same name !) highly recommended
Owners walked the caminho themselves. Great place

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Annie, I would love to get more information about the Portuguese Coastal Route. I want to get as much coast as I can! Thanks.

When are you walking and which route?
I walked in May 2014 Porto- Matosinhos- Vila do Conde- Apulia - Viana do Castelo- Caminha - Tui and on the central route to Santiago. 12 etapas.

In September I walked Viano do Castelo- A Guarda- Guames - A Ramallosa- Vigo- Redondela- Pontevedra and on the central route to Santiago. 9 etapas.

Let me know if you still have some questions on walking on the coastal camino Portugues :)

Bom Caminoho :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Peregrinos (and Peregrinas),
Last year I walked the Camino Frances from SJPP to Muxia (Via Santiago).
In about 2 weeks I plan on walking the Portuguese (probably will start walking around August 9th) from Porto to Santiago and want to take the Coastal route as mentioned before by others "As closest to the coastline as possible" - I've started looking online and here and found many plans of walking it.
I would love for your advice on the following route + would love to know if there are Albergues or cheap pilgrim accommodations in the daily stops (and if you recommend specific one- better):
(If you can recommend a better coastal route- I'm all ears as well)

Porto - Vila Do Conde
Vila Do Conde - Marinhas
Marinhas - Viana Do Castelo
Viana Do Castelo- Vila Praia De Ancora
Vila Praia De Ancora - Oia
Oia- Mougas
Mougas - Vigo (Freixo?)
Vigo - Redondela
Redondela- Ponteverda
Ponteverda- Caldas De Reis
Caldas De Reis - Angueira De Suso
Angueira De Suso - Santiago

that's the only Coastal route I've found online, if you recommend changes in my plan I would appreciate and love to hear it and apply.
PS- I'm not rushing and have plenty of time to split days and take it easy if needed (open ticket for 4 weeks)
Thank you very much and waiting to hear back
Shay

I had intended to show this document to you all a bit later (it will never be finished, but is still very much work-in-progress) - my little plan is to make a "All places to sleep on the Route Portugues - Route Monacal/Coastal" a bit similar to one found for the Camino Frances - with your help.

So when I am a bit further with it, I will make a more detailed seperate thread about it - it covers the camino I plan to walk next year and I hope to get input to it from you fellow forum-members.

But since Babchook is about to leave for the camino soon, I thought it might help him - you are all all welcome to comment in it (or send me a mail from it) and I'll happily add or change it based on your input - I will only add/change parts for the route I intend to walk, though.

Please notice there are two sheets in the GoogleDoc - the first one covers places to sleep, the second one gives an overview of the route and some usefull links to places or maps (at least, to me, that is...). From the GoogleDoc, we can create excel sheets and pdf - the GoogleDoc is just excellent to use as a teamworking document.

If you have a Google account, you should be able to comment in it - I have only tested with people using a Google account, so I do not know if everyone can comment in it, but you can also send me a mail from it.

Let me know what you think, any places that can be added and if something needs to be changed! In a few days or weeks I will post a seperate thread with it in.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15YjQVotp9btlbTUx6YDMgFpHcm3__9msYMJ_nHKOe2E/edit?usp=sharing

Link to dropbox with pdf-file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...mino Portugues - route Monacal from Porto.pdf

Link to dropbox with excel-file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14665185/Sleeping on the Camino Portugues - route Monacal from Porto.xlsx

Last edited:
Hi Cj2003, thank you very much for the file, it is very helpful. I am in Pamplona at the moment visiting old Camino friends and will be heading to Portugal in few days. Will PM you more names of albergues I find with directions and recent prices and feedbacks.
Your file is read only, meaning its not possible to download it or change it.. And its online. I will be mostly offline and would appreciate if you can send it as PDF file or excel file so I could download it and use it on my mobile phone.
Again, thank you very much.
Babchook

Now I have added the files in my post above - they are a snapshot of the current status; I'll update them continuousely so there might be a newer version there before you start :)

I walked in May 2014 Porto- Matosinhos- Vila do Conde- Apulia - Viana do Castelo- Caminha - Tui and on the central route to Santiago. 12 etapas.

In September I walked Viano do Castelo- A Guarda- Guames - A Ramallosa- Vigo- Redondela- Pontevedra and on the central route to Santiago. 9 etapas.

Let me know if you still have some questions on walking on the coastal camino Portugues :)

Hi @anniethenurse--I'd love to hear more about your September coastal route, please. I'm new and couldn't figure out how to email you directly.
I'm leaving Porto on September 6 and considering the same route.
Thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@ak_troutbum hit the "Private Conversations" text and then the blue button that appears. On my web browser the text is towards the top of the page and close to the middle - just above the icon of an envelope. But it could be elsewhere depending on how yours is set up.

@ak_troutbum hit the "Private Conversations" text and then the blue button that appears. On my web browser the text is towards the top of the page and close to the middle - just above the icon of an envelope. But it could be elsewhere depending on how yours is set up.
Just now saw this @Kanga--thank you so much!

Now I have added the files in my post above - they are a snapshot of the current status; I'll update them continuousely so there might be a newer version there before you start :)
Hi, @cj2003! I keep looking at your beautiful, helpful document but can't seem to get it to print large enough to read it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,

You might try to download the excel-version and fiddle with the printer settings from there?

/Christian

Hi @anniethenurse--I'd love to hear more about your September coastal route, please. I'm new and couldn't figure out how to email you directly.
I'm leaving Porto on September 6 and considering the same route.
Thanks!

I walked an alternative -great-caminho.
Started in Viana do Castelo but in Caminha kept continuing the coast instead of going inland to the central route.
After Pontevedra left the central route and headed to the camino Português de Salnés also known as the Variante Espiritual. This one is even more spectacular.

Bom caminho

I had intended to show this document to you all a bit later (it will never be finished, but is still very much work-in-progress) - my little plan is to make a "All places to sleep on the Route Portugues - Route Monacal/Coastal" a bit similar to one found for the Camino Frances - with your help.

So when I am a bit further with it, I will make a more detailed seperate thread about it - it covers the camino I plan to walk next year and I hope to get input to it from you fellow forum-members.

But since Babchook is about to leave for the camino soon, I thought it might help him - you are all all welcome to comment in it (or send me a mail from it) and I'll happily add or change it based on your input - I will only add/change parts for the route I intend to walk, though.

Please notice there are two sheets in the GoogleDoc - the first one covers places to sleep, the second one gives an overview of the route and some usefull links to places or maps (at least, to me, that is...). From the GoogleDoc, we can create excel sheets and pdf - the GoogleDoc is just excellent to use as a teamworking document.

If you have a Google account, you should be able to comment in it - I have only tested with people using a Google account, so I do not know if everyone can comment in it, but you can also send me a mail from it.

Let me know what you think, any places that can be added and if something needs to be changed! In a few days or weeks I will post a seperate thread with it in.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15YjQVotp9btlbTUx6YDMgFpHcm3__9msYMJ_nHKOe2E/edit?usp=sharing

Link to dropbox with pdf-file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14665185/Sleeping on the Camino Portugues - route Monacal from Porto.pdf

Link to dropbox with excel-file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14665185/Sleeping on the Camino Portugues - route Monacal from Porto.xlsx

Link to dropbox with pdf-file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14665185/Sleeping on the Camino Portugues - route Monacal from Porto.pdf

Hi cj2003,

Thanks so much for sharing this document. We've literally just walked to Samil beach (Vigo) and got stuck for accommodation as there's no albergue. Emergency searches lead me here as usual and this info saved the day!! We got a twin room for €77 and its most lovely!

Thanks again!

Vicky

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi cj2003,

Thanks so much for sharing this document. We've literally just walked to Samil beach (Vigo) and got stuck for accommodation as there's no albergue. Emergency searches lead me here as usual and this info saved the day!! We got a twin room for €77 and its most lovely!

Thanks again!

Vicky

Thank you for the post, Vicky!! It literally made my day and made all the work with the list worth it! Buen Camino!
/Christian

Thank you for the post, Vicky!! It literally made my day and made all the work with the list worth it! Buen Camino!
/Christian
Thank you!! So glad to hear it made your day - you made ours!!

Vicky :)

I would like to suggest that any two people sharing think twice about staying at the Hospederia/Albergue in La Ramallosa. Last night we paid €30 (it's €40 high season) for a tiny room that one person almost had to step out of if the other wanted to stand up. Shared bathroom. We saw nothing of the sheets or towels mentioned in the rules on the back of the door. The night before at Hotel O Peñasco - 2km past Mougas - for the same amount we had our own large room and bathroom with fresh linen and even the little shampoo you come to treasure when you're not carrying any. After leaving the Albergue at La Ramallosa we saw signs to a hotel and a pension.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hola @portstewart99
Buen camino
Hey ,
I wish to do the coastal route in July starting from Lisbon and going to Porto or as far as we get in 13 days. Please can you give me advice on booking hostels, there are two of us, we hope to do about 25km per day

Hey ,
I wish to do the coastal route in July starting from Lisbon and going to Porto or as far as we get in 13 days. Please can you give me advice on booking hostels, there are two of us, we hope to do about 25km per day

I did walk on the central route (not the coadtal) when I started CP from Lisbon. There is a way to walk the coastal from Lisbon but I think you need to be an experienced pilgrim and use maps if you will walk the coastal all the way from Lisbon.

I walked the coastal CP from Porto twice.

Hello Peregrinos (and Peregrinas),
Last year I walked the Camino Frances from SJPP to Muxia (Via Santiago).
In about 2 weeks I plan on walking the Portuguese (probably will start walking around August 9th) from Porto to Santiago and want to take the Coastal route as mentioned before by others "As closest to the coastline as possible" - I've started looking online and here and found many plans of walking it.
I would love for your advice on the following route + would love to know if there are Albergues or cheap pilgrim accommodations in the daily stops (and if you recommend specific one- better):
(If you can recommend a better coastal route- I'm all ears as well)

Porto - Vila Do Conde
Vila Do Conde - Marinhas
Marinhas - Viana Do Castelo
Viana Do Castelo- Vila Praia De Ancora
Vila Praia De Ancora - Oia
Oia- Mougas
Mougas - Vigo (Freixo?)
Vigo - Redondela
Redondela- Ponteverda
Ponteverda- Caldas De Reis
Caldas De Reis - Angueira De Suso
Angueira De Suso - Santiago

that's the only Coastal route I've found online, if you recommend changes in my plan I would appreciate and love to hear it and apply.
PS- I'm not rushing and have plenty of time to split days and take it easy if needed (open ticket for 4 weeks)
Thank you very much and waiting to hear back
Shay

Hi Shay, in my guide book I see Variante Espiritual. At Ponteverda you head to Vilanova, and hug the coast to Catoira. I think I saw a post re Variante Espiritual, so just search on forum for more info.

Bom Caminho
Janice

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Shay, in my guide book I see Variante Espiritual. At Ponteverda you head to Vilanova, and hug the coast to Catoira. I think I saw a post re Variante Espiritual, so just search on forum for more info.

Bom Caminho
Janice

Ha! Never mind I think you have to either walk on water or take a boat for Variante Espiritual. :)

That is correct

I'll send you a pm !
Hello @Alvertinho May I have a list of all the Albergues on the coastal route which from Porto all the way to Vigo and then turn to Redondela? Thanks a lot. I am going to do this route from 6th Sep. Thanks again !

Hello @Alvertinho May I have a list of all the Albergues on the coastal route which from Porto all the way to Vigo and then turn to Redondela? Thanks a lot. I am going to do this route from 6th Sep. Thanks again !
There is a new one in Porto but I do not know that
The coastal goes from Porto via Matosinhos to Vila do Conde
On this stage is a new albergue in Vila do Conde. I do not know where this is. Last year I was in Vila do Conde but then the albergue did not exist yet.
Find info about this albergues and others by using the subforum on this Portuguese forum
After 5 kms after Vila do Conde is an albergue in Póvoa do Varzim
after 20 kms is an albergue in Esposende
In Viana do Castelo is no albergue but we stayed in hostal Laranjeiro. The owners walked the camino themselves. Very nice people and staying there. There is also a hotel Laranjeiro but ask for the hostal. Not the hotel !
In Caminha is an albergue and if you cross the Minho river to Spain by ferry or fisherman's boat, after 3 kms after landing in Spain there is an albergue in A Guarda
After 15 kms from A Guarda is the albergue of Mougas.
In Bayona 15 kms futher on is no albergue but 5 kms further in Nigrãn is one.
In Vigo is no albergue but lots of hostals, hotels etc.
In Redondela is a big albergue but I prefer the refuxio de la Jerezana in Cessantes which is 3 kms past Redondela.. It iswaymarked by plastified posters on trees and lampposts
In Pontevedra is an albergue aswell in Caldas de Reis (privat,called o Cruzeiro) and Padrón. And one in Teo between Padron and Santiago.

Bom caminho

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On this stage is a new albergue in Vila do Conde. I do not know where this is. Last year I was in Vila do Conde but then the albergue did not exist yet.
Find info about this albergues and others by using the subforum on this Portuguese forum
In Viana do Castelo is no albergue but we stayed in hostal Laranjeiro. The owners walked the camino themselves. Very nice people and staying there. There is also a hotel Laranjeiro but ask for the hostal. Not the hotel !
In Caminha is an albergue and if you cross the Minho river to Spain by ferry or fisherman's boat, after 3 kms after landing in Spain there is an albergue in A Guarda
In Redondela is a big albergue but I prefer the refuxio de la Jerezana in Cessantes which is 3 kms past Redondela.. It iswaymarked by plastified posters on trees and lampposts
In Pontevedra is an albergue aswell in Caldas de Reis (privat,called o Cruzeiro) and Padrón. And one in Teo between Padron and Santiago.

Bom caminho

Thanks a lot. These are so helpful. Buen Camino!

Bom caminho

Albertinho, this is great info....thank you! Im planning to walk from Porto at beginning of October and trying to decide whether to continue the coast from Vila do Conde or go to the central route via Rates, maybe the weather at the time will confirm my choice!!!

Do you know if the albergues on the coastal you mentioned will be open in early October....???
Also, I believe there is an albergue in Viana do Costela now..... http://cruzdoscaminhos.blogspot.co.uk/

Aidan

Albertinho, this is great info....thank you! Im planning to walk from Porto at beginning of October and trying to decide whether to continue the coast from Vila do Conde or go to the central route via Rates, maybe the weather at the time will confirm my choice!!!

Do you know if the albergues on the coastal you mentioned will be open in early October....???
Also, I believe there is an albergue in Viana do Costela now..... http://cruzdoscaminhos.blogspot.co.uk/

Aidan
That is great news about the albergue de Viana do Castelo.
On the other hand it must have been there for a while as I read the text on the website.
Thanks for sharing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Is there any information anywhere about Albergues on the Portuguese coastal route?

– Caminho da Costa

PÓVOA DO VARZIM

Albergue S. José de Ribamar

16 lugares – Donativo
Av. Mouzinho de Albuquerque
Tel: 252 622 314 (paróquia)

albergueribamar@gmail.com
Facebook

FÃO

Pousada de Juventude Foz do Cávado

Alameda Bom Jesus – Fão
4740-322 Esposende
Tel: 253 982 045

fozcavado@movijovem.pt
LinkVL.us/JuvFao

ESPOSENDE (Marinhas)

Albergue S. Miguel

14 lugares – Donativo
Tratar na Cruz Vermelha – Av. S. Sebastião, Marinhas
Tel: 967 611 200 / 253 964 720

VIANA DO CASTELO

Albergue S. João da Cruz dos Caminhos

20 lugares – 6 €
Igreja do Carmo
Tel: 962 254 107 / 258 822 264

cruzdoscaminhos@gmail.com
albergue@carmelitas.pt
Facebook
cruzdoscaminhos.blogspot.pt

CAMINHA

Albergue de Peregrinos de Caminha

32 lugares – 5 €
Av Padre Pinheiro
Tel: 914 290 431

alberguedecaminha@hotmail.com
Facebook

I found this list...

Judit

I am doing the coastal route next week but i am trying to decide if we should go along the coast to Vigo or from Caminho take the Central route to Tui. Any suggestions would be great - thx

@MplsYogi

It is up to you and how you feel in Caminha.
Maybe you will decide when and what time you will be in Caminha.
The ferry from Caminha to A Guarda does not cross the river Minho on Mondays.
Low tide changes/ cancels the time table sometimes.

Both ways are great caminos.

Bom caminho.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
– Caminho da Costa

PÓVOA DO VARZIM

Albergue S. José de Ribamar

16 lugares – Donativo
Av. Mouzinho de Albuquerque
Tel: 252 622 314 (paróquia)

albergueribamar@gmail.com
Facebook

FÃO

Pousada de Juventude Foz do Cávado

Alameda Bom Jesus – Fão
4740-322 Esposende
Tel: 253 982 045

fozcavado@movijovem.pt
LinkVL.us/JuvFao

ESPOSENDE (Marinhas)

Albergue S. Miguel

14 lugares – Donativo
Tratar na Cruz Vermelha – Av. S. Sebastião, Marinhas
Tel: 967 611 200 / 253 964 720

VIANA DO CASTELO

Albergue S. João da Cruz dos Caminhos

20 lugares – 6 €
Igreja do Carmo
Tel: 962 254 107 / 258 822 264

cruzdoscaminhos@gmail.com
albergue@carmelitas.pt
Facebook
cruzdoscaminhos.blogspot.pt

CAMINHA

Albergue de Peregrinos de Caminha

32 lugares – 5 €
Av Padre Pinheiro
Tel: 914 290 431

alberguedecaminha@hotmail.com
Facebook

I found this list...

Judit

Olá Judit.

There is a new albergue in Vila do Conde, Albergue de Santa Clara, about 10 minutes to walk from the bridge. After the bridge follow the arrows to the left. Arrows to the right leading to Rates.
Link: http://www.cm-viladoconde.pt/pages/861

Bom caminho

Rainer

Last edited:
Portstewart If you did the coastal route will you post a list of your albergues staying on the coast as far as Vigo Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola @portstewart99
Buen camino

I'm going to start from the airport(Porto) ... is the notion of keeping the coast on left too simplistic... if I have time it would be great to hit Santiago
Will locals acknowledge this as Camino if I needed directions...or would I get directed to other parts ... thanks

I'm going to start from the airport(Porto) ... is the notion of keeping the coast on left too simplistic... if I have time it would be great to hit Santiago
Will locals acknowledge this as Camino if I needed directions...or would I get directed to other parts ... thanks
Starting from the airport of Porto you are fairly far away from the coast
I do not know if you want to walk the full coastal or go as far as Vila do Conde and there head for the central route to São Pedro de Rates, Barcelos, Casa da Fernanda ,Ponte de Lima and so on to Redondela ?
If so better is to walk from the airport to Vairão (14 kms to the albergue there) and continue from there on the central route to São Pedro de Rates and on.
Finding your way from the airport is not that difficult .look on google maps to get an impression about the routing.

You also can take the metro to Porto and start your caminho there or walk to Vilar do Pinheiro and take the metro to Vila do Conde and start your caminho pela costa ( the coastal caminho)

In Portugal generally spoken most people are more directed to the caminho de Fátima. That is their caminho and their higlight .The caminho Português para Santiago de Compostela is less common once you are away from the waymarked path so as in my proposition to go to Vairão it is better to study the routing on maps before you leave so you have an idea which direction you will head after leaving the airport. It is not difficult to find your way but asking locals around there could be a disappointment.
Bom caminho

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for your time , I finally have some time to look.I must confess I did know nothing of Camino,I am a runner mainly so I was quite dazzled by so much choice...I really just want to explore.Last year I ran the Canal du Midi over 3 days (about 150 miles)..I have three days free and will be traveling very light...so basically it begins from airport and ends......We will see!
Many thanks

Bom caminho and enjoy this beautifull Portuguese caminho whatever route you will choose.
I have to post my vids again I see now. I posted them earlier in 2015 in this thread .
I will have a look where they are on my computer and will put them again on this forum.
Gives an idea about the central route from Porto-from Lisbon unfortunately I have no video material but only pictures but maybe I can make something out of them aswell on YouTube and post them here -and from the Variante Espiritual .I know lots of pilgrims have interests in walking this part from Pontevedra to Padrón including the boattrip from Vilanova de Arousa to Pontecessures.

Starting from the airport of Porto you are fairly far away from the coast
I do not know if you want to walk the full coastal or go as far as Vila do Conde and there head for the central route to São Pedro de Rates, Barcelos, Casa da Fernanda ,Ponte de Lima and so on to Redondela ?
If so better is to walk from the airport to Vairão (14 kms to the albergue there) and continue from there on the central route to São Pedro de Rates and on.
Finding your way from the airport is not that difficult .look on google maps to get an impression about the routing.

You also can take the metro to Porto and start your caminho there or walk to Vilar do Pinheiro and take the metro to Vila do Conde and start your caminho pela costa ( the coastal caminho)

In Portugal generally spoken most people are more directed to the caminho de Fátima. That is their caminho and their higlight .The caminho Português para Santiago de Compostela is less common once you are away from the waymarked path so as in my proposition to go to Vairão it is better to study the routing on maps before you leave so you have an idea which direction you will head after leaving the airport. It is not difficult to find your way but asking locals around there could be a disappointment.
Bom caminho

Olá Albertinho, starting at the airport straight to the coast is very easy. You can easily arrive Angeiras Camping within 1 hour.

Link: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-porto-airport-to-angeiras.46591/#post-495855

Bom caminho

rainer

Which part of the Coastal you are intending to walk ?
Some people walk from Porto to Vila do Conde and then head on the central route
Some walk to Caminha and head on to Valença do Minho on the central route
Some walk on to Vigo and head on to Redondela on the central route .
There are several albergues on the various routes ,mentioned above.
Hi there
Mine starts similar... Litoral (coastal) way. route is Porto - Vila do Conde -Esposende - Viana do Castel - Caminha-Valenca -Mos - Pontevedra - Caldes de Reis - Padron - Santiago.....:) ...whats the story with albergues in min april along the way...do i need pre book..Thanks

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back