• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Stages on the Levante

peregrina2000

Staff member
I walked the Camino de Levante in May of this year. I would walk it again in a heartbeat.

Guidebook: The Asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago in Valencia has published a (heavy) but excellent guide. I would say it is essential, because even though the waymarking is terrific, the guide has great maps and excellent details and info on what’s in each city/town/village you are walking through. Guide is available in either Spanish or English. Contact the association via email at info@vieiragrino.com for information on how to obtain the book (either in person in Valencia or via mail, but be aware that they require a bank transfer).

I kept a blog, http://www.levante2013.blogspot.com and I relied heavily on Andy’s blog, http://pilgrimpace.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-levante/ and of course this forum was a real source of support and help.

General comments:
The waymarking is excellent, except for in some of the small towns. I frequently needed help to find the Camino after entering a town. In this respect, also, the guidebook is essential, because of its detailed instructions. Since you will frequently not be able to find people who are familiar with the Camino, the fact that the guidebook always says things like “walk past the museum of ethnography” means you can just ask for directions to the places the guidebook mentions, since everyone in town will know where the museum is.

There is a surprising number of albergues, many very small, but usually in very good condition and well maintained. Where there were no albergues, I stayed in small pensiones and hoteles, almost always for less than 25 euros.

This is a camino of wide open spaces. Until you hit Zamora, you spend most of your time on flat or undulating land dedicated to one sort of agricultural operation or another. It is castle country.

The Levante has some real treats; in fact, one of the things that makes this Camino stand out is the number of very interesting, sometimes stunning cities and towns. Valencia, Toledo, Avila and Zamora are all well worth a sustained visit. And the small towns of Xátiva, Almansa, Chinchilla, Arevalo, Medina del Campo, Tembleque, San Clemente, Toro, and El Toboso are all places where you can easily fill an afternoon.

The numbers are steadily increasing, at a very high rate, but the total remains small. Many people along the way told us that between last year and this year the increase is quite noticeable. Last year, there’d be a pilgrim or two a week; this year, hardly a day goes by without at least one. I assume that the season is fairly short, April-July, though I often heard that there is always a bunch of hardy summer pilgrims who brave the heat.

Wi-fi is available in nearly every little bar in every little town. I was stunned, actually. Because of my mom’s health, I had been debating whether to cancel my Camino this year. Instead, I bought an iphone the day before leaving in the hope that I would be able to Skype with my parents from the Camino. This eased a huge worry for me, and I was able to talk to them (and usually see them!) almost every day.

Rather than put my lengthy comments into the text of a post, I have typed them up and attach them here. I welcome comments, corrections, and suggestions from anyone who has walked, and would be very delighted to answer questions.

Buen camino, Laurie

And here are my Sananbres stages:

Attachments

• levante2013.doc
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,308
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks very much for this, very useful and interesting. I'm hoping to take the Madrid for a few stages and then switch across to the Levante before Arévalo next year.

And I do so agree about Santiago de los Caballeros - a lovely lovely church, and both times I've been there I've had it to myself. According to tradition, el Cid spent a night in vigil in the church before being knighted there.

Well done Laurie,
i gather from your report that waymarking,accomodation and people's awareness seem to have improved greatly since we walked the Levante in 2010.
That's good as the Levante is a really fascinating camino...
Giorgio

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you Laurie for your notes.

Perigrina2000

Many thanks for the notes and blog - very encouraging - inspiration for the next Camino

Kevin

Is this the guide book you used?
Did you walk alone?
I am going to read your blog later.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-24 at 19.05.00.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-24 at 19.05.00.png
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,343
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, that's the book. With it, you will be fine.

I started alone, expecting that I wouldn't meet up with others. I have walked alone for long stretches of my caminos in 2011 and 2012, so I was not worried about that. In Xativa, which is probably day 3, I met two French guys. On day 4, we walked a few kms together into the albergue in Font de la Figuera, and from there we just fell in together. Our walking paces were very compatible, nearly identical. Though they did longer days than I usually do, I was able to increase my distances a bit and stayed with them all the way to Santiago. I feel very lucky and blessed that I met them. We had lots of alone time together, lots of fun together time (luckily one spoke good English and I have a pre-schooler's command of French), and it was great.

We did meet two other French pilgrims, a couple, and saw them for a few days. Other than that, there were two or three Spanish men we saw once and never again. A few cyclists, and that was it. I expect the numbers will keep growing.

If you're an albergue-only person, this isn't the camino for you, because there were many nights where we had no choice but to take a room in a pension or casa rural. Never above 25 E, if memory serves, and usually 20 or less. The menus del dia are head and shoulders above the menus you will find on the Frances, prices usually 8-10.

Get to this camino now before the rest of the world finds out about it! Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks for the info Laurie.
I reckon this will be my camino for 2015. I suppose it will have changed a bit by then but hopefully not drastically.
Sue

Go for it sulu!

The growth, though dramatic in percentage terms, only means that next year there will probably be a few pilgrims a day starting out. I think there's at least a several year window, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Levante ultimately becoming a lot like the Vdlp in terms of pilgrim traffic. In fact, in many ways, the two are very similar.

Springtime is definitely the time to go, just like on the Vdlp. My first day was on May 3, and it was perfect -- no rain to speak of, cool temps (in fact sometimes really cold in the morning), wonderful green fields, and tons of wildflowers.

Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would aim to start mid March. It would be an opportunity to be in Valencia for a bit of the Fallas, which I love. I'd have to take pot luck with the weather, but then any month in Spring is pot luck I think, there has been such variation over the last few years.

Laurie - I am ready for the Levante - I got the Book and the Coil. And your notes.
Planning for it from Alicante to Zamora in the future.
Still a little bit worried of being ALONE on the trek.

Hi, Annie,
I was prepared to walk alone, and had thought I wouldn't meet any others till Zamora. I was so lucky to meet the two French guys, I know that. Even more lucky was the fact that we walked at more or less the same pace. Not to mention that we hit it off on a personal level. What are the odds of that?!

I have to think that the traffic on the Levante will keep increasing, but you never know, you might not meet anyone.

I don't know if you've ever walked alone, but for the last three summers I've been on very untraveled Caminos. I was alone for about half of the Camino de Madrid, completely alone on both the Invierno and the Vadiniense. So I was kind of used to it, and I really do enjoy walking alone. I never felt threatened but I did occasionally feel lonely. If your Spanish is good enough, you'll find plenty of people in these small towns eager to talk, but it's admittedly not the same as some good peregrino companionship.

I walked from Valencia, which I think is more traveled than from Alicante. What made you choose Alicante?

Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I just saw your pictures: very good!
You wrote "the mosque of Christ???" , but for Islam Muhammad is the greatest prophet, and Jesus is the second.

Peace and blessings

Julo d.

Laurie,

on one of my caminos I met 3 brothers and a peregrina living in Alicante so I will contact them when the plans are firm. Maybe they will walk a week or so with me.

I might as well start from Valencia - I don´t know yet.

Yes, I can manage on my own but I am thinking about the nights as a solo peregrina in albergues.

My Spanish is not fluent but I can manage some telephone calls if I have to make reservations.

What about June - do you think it will be too HOT?

Hi, Julio,
The "Mezquita de Cristo de la Luz" is the name of the building in Toledo. I assume it refers to the building's origin as a mosque and later conversion to a church. It is stunning but now has no religious function that I could detect.

Annie -- If you walk from Alicante, you will be on the Camino del Sureste not the Levante (you may already know this but I think it's confusing). The Sureste and the Levante intersect and occasionally overlap but only in between Albacete and Medina del Campo. You'd need a different guide, and Gronze says there is one for the Sureste but I've never seen it: http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiag ... l-sureste/

By the beginning of June, we were in Zamora, so we were heading north and had no trouble with heat. In fact, we had many days that started out no higher than 6 or 7 celsius. Between Valencia and Zamora, there are many stages with no trees and no shade of any kind, so it doesn't take really hot temperatures to make walking uncomfortable. By June I think you might have missed the full spring palette of emerald green fields and bright red poppies and other wildflowers, but I'm not sure about that. I think starting in early May is perfect, but people along the camino told us that pilgrims come throughout the summer.

Maybe if we keep talking about the glories of the Camino de Levante, others on the forum will decide to join you! Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you Laurie for all the info.
Maybe starting from Valencia on the Levante is better so I can follow the Guide Book and your notes.

I don´t have any firm plans yet but you are right maybe May or mid May would be better than June because of the heat and no shadow. Maybe 2014.

regards,

peregrina2000 said:
Hi, Julio,
The "Mezquita de Cristo de la Luz" is the name of the building in Toledo. I assume it refers to the building's origin as a mosque and later conversion to a church. It is stunning but now has no religious function that I could detect.

I also think so. More info

I noticed that at least one of the two French friends was Breton :wink:

Peace and blessings

Julo d.

Hi, Julo (sorry, I called you Julio in my last post),

Thanks for the wikipedia link. If anyone walks the Levante, I'd highly recommend a visit to this site. In my blog, I describe how we bought a "tourist bracelet", which gave us admission to six important sites.

http://levante2013.blogspot.com/2013/05 ... km-to.html

We had a rest day in Toledo on a Monday, so the El Greco museum was closed. So we decided to forego the cathedral visit (other than the free public portion we had already seen) and spend our 8 euros on this bracelet. The places we visited were all extremely interesting and gave us a snippet of Toledo over the centuries, from the 10th to the 18th.

And yes, both of my French pals are Breton. They actually met on a different Camino a few years back and have been walking together ever since. I'm assuming you identified the flag on the back of their packs.

Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
peregrina2000 said:
I'm assuming you identified the flag on the back of their packs.

Buen camino, Laurie

Exactly!!!!

The Tro-Breiz is in my dreams! And according to legend, if you do not walk now I'll have to do after my death before I can get into heaven :roll:

Peace and blessings

Julo d.

Hi, Julo,
I had to google Tro-Breiz to find out what you were talking about. Once again, wikipedia to the rescue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tro_Breizh

But when I saw the explanation, I realized that this was the week-long hike these two do every year. They described an amazing logistical operation. Thousands walk the route, there is one week in August every year that has organized support. No carrying packs, it's all transported for you. The end points are established, and every day when you arrive at the ending point you get your tent/backpack/equipment and set up tent. Meals are communal. They have done 4 or 5 years so they have a few more to go.

Buen camino, Laurie

peregrina2000 said:
..I realized that this was the week-long hike these two do every year. They described an amazing logistical operation. Thousands walk the route, there is one week in August every year that has organized support. No carrying packs, it's all transported for you. The end points are established, and every day when you arrive at the ending point you get your tent/backpack/equipment and set up tent. Meals are communal. They have done 4 or 5 years so they have a few more to go.

Buen camino, Laurie

This is one of the ways. But you can walk all the ring as the Santiago's way. More Info:
http://www.trobreiz.com/
http://infotrobreizh.com/accueil/accueil.php
There are also some books, but only in French.
I recommend:

Tro Breiz - Les chemins du Paradis (Pèlerinage des Sept Saints de Bretagne)
By Gaële de La Brosse
Ed: Presses de la Renaissance

Sur les chemins du Tro-Breiz, le tour de la Bretagne (Dol-de-Bretagne, Vannes, Quimper, Saint-Pol-de-Léon, Tréguier, Saint-Brieuc, Saint-Malo)
By Gaële de La Brosse
Ed: Lepère

Le Tro Breiz
By Yannick Pelletier
Ed: Gisserot

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks, Julo. This route looks beautiful. I learned while walking with my French friends that "balise" means waymarked, so I am assuming there is good signage.

I did a rough count of the kms -- is it possible that the total for the circle is roughly 1000 kms?

Walking in Brittany, from one medieval monastery to the next, this sounds amazing. It reminds me of a similar but much much shorter route in Catalunya, which I learned about from other pilgrims.

Just another reason to get serious about studying French! Buen camino, Laurie

The problem is that the TroBreiz is not entirely marked. So you are very free to choice your way. I have find some site that indicate 600 km and other around 1000 km. Studing maps and gpx I think that 1000 km is closer to the true.

(no problem for me: french is the only language I've studied, but I have to study the Breton :( )

Peace and blessings

Julo d.

I walked the Camino de Levante in May of this year. I would walk it again in a heartbeat.

Guidebook: The Asociación de Amigos del Camino de Santiago in Valencia has published a (heavy) but excellent guide. I would say it is essential, because even though the waymarking is terrific, the guide has great maps and excellent details and info on what’s in each city/town/village you are walking through. Guide is available in either Spanish or English. Contact the association via email at info@vieiragrino.com for information on how to obtain the book (either in person in Valencia or via mail, but be aware that they require a bank transfer).

I kept a blog, http://www.levante2013.blogspot.com and I relied heavily on Andy’s blog, http://pilgrimpace.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-levante/ and of course this forum was a real source of support and help.

General comments:
The waymarking is excellent, except for in some of the small towns. I frequently needed help to find the Camino after entering a town. In this respect, also, the guidebook is essential, because of its detailed instructions. Since you will frequently not be able to find people who are familiar with the Camino, the fact that the guidebook always says things like “walk past the museum of ethnography” means you can just ask for directions to the places the guidebook mentions, since everyone in town will know where the museum is.

There is a surprising number of albergues, many very small, but usually in very good condition and well maintained. Where there were no albergues, I stayed in small pensiones and hoteles, almost always for less than 25 euros.

This is a camino of wide open spaces. Until you hit Zamora, you spend most of your time on flat or undulating land dedicated to one sort of agricultural operation or another. It is castle country.

The Levante has some real treats; in fact, one of the things that makes this Camino stand out is the number of very interesting, sometimes stunning cities and towns. Valencia, Toledo, Avila and Zamora are all well worth a sustained visit. And the small towns of Xátiva, Almansa, Chinchilla, Arevalo, Medina del Campo, Tembleque, San Clemente, Toro, and El Toboso are all places where you can easily fill an afternoon.

The numbers are steadily increasing, at a very high rate, but the total remains small. Many people along the way told us that between last year and this year the increase is quite noticeable. Last year, there’d be a pilgrim or two a week; this year, hardly a day goes by without at least one. I assume that the season is fairly short, April-July, though I often heard that there is always a bunch of hardy summer pilgrims who brave the heat.

Wi-fi is available in nearly every little bar in every little town. I was stunned, actually. Because of my mom’s health, I had been debating whether to cancel my Camino this year. Instead, I bought an iphone the day before leaving in the hope that I would be able to Skype with my parents from the Camino. This eased a huge worry for me, and I was able to talk to them (and usually see them!) almost every day.

Rather than put my lengthy comments into the text of a post, I have typed them up and attach them here. I welcome comments, corrections, and suggestions from anyone who has walked, and would be very delighted to answer questions.

Buen camino, Laurie

HI!!
This was really useful information! Thanks a lot!! Have been looking for a new camino to do, and think that maybe the Levante is a good choise. What you write makes me even more eager to try! (in fact, I would like to go right away.....) Would hope to start in the beginning of March 2014 - did the Plata at this time of year 2012, and it was perfect. Would you say it´s a good time or a bit early?
My best wishes,
Mari

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Mari,
Truthfully, I think March is a bit early, or would be for me. It's still the tail end of winter, and spring hasn't really yet sprung. But I would have said that about the the Vdlp, which I started once in mid-April and once in May, but sounds like you started in March and enjoyed it. If you look at what Kevin O'Brien posted (he walked the Camino a year or so before me and has posts on the forum), he started earlier and had some horrendously cold days. Even starting in May, it was often chilly in the morning starting out, chilly enough for my wool gloves, but all in all the temperatures were great. Shocking bright green fields, riots of wildflowers, it was just perfect. But I'm just a May camino walker, I guess. Good luck with the planning, this is an amazing camino. Laurie

Hi Laurie,
Just at the planning stage for next year's adventure, my basic plan is to start on the Camino Sureste in Alicante early April, then to transfer to the Camino Levante at some point as I plan to walk the Camino Sanabres after Zamora. The routes seem to intersect first at Albcete and finally at Medina Del Campo,the question is- is there any particular point where it's best to join the Camino Levante,
My plans are very fluid and have very few time constraints and would welcome any suggestions.

Hi, George,

I don't know a lot about the Sureste, but based on the mundicamino maps and stages there is a fair amount of overlap and a number of intersections. The two overlap from Albacete to La Roda, El Toboso to Toledo, around Avila, etc. There were only two times that I was aware of the Sureste, though, when the marking clearly separated the two. One was after Almansa, when the Sureste goes to Alpera (and then on to Higueruela) and the Levante just goes straight to Higueruela. The other was a split on leaving Medina del Campo.

Is there a guidebook? Do you know anything about albergues? In both of those regards the Levante is excellent, but I would be tempted to give the Sureste a try. I don't think a forum member has ever reported back on the Sureste, so if you go, let us all know how it is.

Just curious--is there a reason you want to start in Alicante rather than Valencia?

Hi Laurie,
I have no particular reason to start in Alicante, except there is a cheap flight there from a local airport plus it has a certain appeal in its direct diagonal across Spain. As I am still in the early planning stage nothing is fixed, so things may change before the off, ie the location of rest days etc.
The one thing I must do is to do is to complete the journey from Zamora/Granja Moreruela via Orense to Santiago, a couple of years ago I walked from Seville and took the option to carry on to Astorga, and the along the French way.
As to guides etc I usually knock one together myself using maps from peter robins "walking pilgrim" site and info availiable on the 'net. over the last few years i have walked the French way twice, the Plata and this year the Norte, this has given me an appitite to try the routes less traveled.
Regards
George

Hi, George. Your post jolted my memory and I remembered that I had asked Ivar to open a Sureste section so we could gather information there. Have you seen the few posts that are there? Based on the information I was able to gather, I opted for the Levante, but since I'm always looking for new caminos maybe we can get some more up to date info on the Sureste.

General comments:

Buen camino, Laurie

dear laurie i loved the photos! it looks a very tempting camino But my comfort zone is a modest 15 to 20kms per day! is it possible to take a tent on this route or are the distances between water too great? i am 76 and fit/stubborn!! might plan for sep next year.
best wishes

sean aka the malingerer!

Hi, Sean,
I don't know at all about pitching a tent, so I can't tell you whether that's do-able or no. I did meet a couple in the library of San Martin de Valdeiglesias who told me they had been "wild camping" the whole way, so I know it is possible.

Without a tent, there are probably 5 or 6 stages where you have to walk around 35, but they are all in the flat parts of the camino. There are lots of other stages in the 25-28 km zone without any place to stay in between, but usually towns along the way with bars for coffee and water.

I don't want to discourage you, because this is such a nice Camino in my opinion, but I think the distances between accommodation could cause problems for you. Being fit and stubborn, though, does count for a lot! Buen camino, Laurie

I think this is the one or the Sureste for me and my camera in April. Laurie I will be reading your blog and ordering that guidebook in English from the Camino friends in Valencia.
Dermot

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Sean,
There's a guy on the forum called Aquabilly who I met last year in La Roda, he usually wild camps along the Sureste which he seems to be doing a in week stages a couple of times a year, there's a few posts on the Sureste forum from him.
He didn't seem to have too many problems camping except when it got very cold.
Regards
George

I think this is the one or the Sureste for me and my camera in April. Laurie I will be reading your blog and ordering that guidebook in English from the Camino friends in Valencia.
Dermot

Oh, wow, more nalod photos on the way! I think the English version of the guide is still the translation of the older guide, but I walked with the older Spanish guide in 2013 and it was fine.

Not sure how to decide between te Sureste or the Levante, but I loved the Levante. For me the two defining landscape memories are castles and huge open spaces. Fire away with questions if you have any! Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you Laurie. At the moment I am working on a project based on my photographs, I am setting up a website proper, I have hired a web design company etc. I have a large collection of work done in last four years, a lot of it Camino routes but also a lot more. Because I am unemployed and in my mid 50s I need to get some form of an income stream going, I did work at photography many years ago, I will give it my best shot and see what happens. It will be an ongoing process. So when April comes I will need to hit the road again.

I can get a flight from the West of Ireland where I live straight to Alicante. Problem is my Spanish is almost non existent, I do try but am not good at languages.

Look forward to reading your blog.
Nalod- Dermot

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
HI!!
This was really useful information! Thanks a lot!! Have been looking for a new camino to do, and think that maybe the Levante is a good choise. What you write makes me even more eager to try! (in fact, I would like to go right away.....) Would hope to start in the beginning of March 2014 - did the Plata at this time of year 2012, and it was perfect. Would you say it´s a good time or a bit early?
My best wishes,
Mari

Mari, I was just looking through this thread to find some info to answer another question and saw that you were planning to walk the Levante in 2014. If you're still on the forum, tell us a bit about it if you went! Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Laurie!
Yes, I did the Levante last spring! It was a great experience. Big variations in nature, quite long stages, but not too hard. Not a lot of pilgrims. We were two heading off from Valencia the 5th of March and we were the only two until Zamora. From the books in some albergues we knew there was one guy three days ahead of us. I guess there will be more in May-August. But the lack of other pilgrims doesn´t really make it lonely. The people in the villages are so friendly, helpful and smiling and makes you feel so welcome.
There is always a place to spend the night even if we had to work a bit to find it. I always try to find the albergue municipal on my walks, and they were normally really basic on this way. Most of the time donativo or free. Perfect if you don´t mind sleeping on the floor some nights. Some villages will not have an albergue yet, but then there will always be a pension or hostel not too expencive.
The waymarking was most of the time remarcably good! I know they have improved it even more during summer. The Sureste and the Levante join some places and split again. This was a bit confusing. They are both marked with the yellow arrow and if you miss the place they split, you might start following the wrong way... well, I did....
I was a bit afraid it would be cold in March, especially when crossing the mountains. It wasn´t too bad. We were lucky, not having too much rain. Some of the albergues were quite cold, though.
All in all a wonderful way!
If you have questions, I will be happy to answer :)
Best wishes from Mari

Thanks, Mari,
I actually walked the Levante in May-June 2013, and know there are some forum members setting out this year. So your experiences will be more up to date then mine. Good to hear about the marking, though I got lost a lot less on this camino than on most of my caminos, so if it's improved that's terrific.

I'm surprised there are still so few people on this route -- in many ways, it's a lot like the Vdlp, but instead of getting to visit monumental cities like Caceres, Salamanca, Merida, you get to visit all those amazing small towns with beautiful plazas, churches, etc.

Any camino for you in 2015? It looks like you are on the one or two a year plan. :) Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Laurie! I read after my reply that you did the way, too! I agree with you - strange that not more people choose this way. So many wonderful pueblos on the way! I prefer the small villages so much more than the cities... They make me feel a bit lost..
I have been lucky to be able to do one camino a year the last years. Every year a new way and every time I have prepared myself on walking alone. Never did walk more than a few days alone though. My first camino was the Frances from le Puy 6 years ago, and this year I will be back. Not from le Puy this time, but from SJPP. My oldest niece (21 years old) wants to come with me, and I thought the Frances would be a good start for her. In March it wont be too crowded, but still enough people on the way. We are both blessed with feet producing blisters ;-) so too hot weather isn´t good for either of us.
Beeing Norwegian, I should have done the way to Trondheim, of course. Didn´t yet, but maybe this summer would be a good time...
How about you? Your next camino?
Mari

Laurie,

I have been trying to access your blog for the Lavente, but either it keeps looping back to the links page or I'm told the "the web page is not available. As I am considering the Lavente for later this year I would very much like to read your blog.

kind regards
David

Laurie,

I have been trying to access your blog for the Lavente, but either it keeps looping back to the links page or I'm told the "the web page is not available. As I am considering the Lavente for later this year I would very much like to read your blog.

kind regards
David
Hola, David!
The link (http://www.levante2013.blogspot.com/) is working fine on my PC. Just have to scroll down for the beginning of the walk.
I'm about to start Levante too. In 2 weeks time to be exact :)

Ultreia!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola, David!
The link (http://www.levante2013.blogspot.com/) is working fine on my PC. Just have to scroll down for the beginning of the walk.
I'm about to start Levante too. In 2 weeks time to be exact :)

Ultreia!

thanks for that, yes it works fine, I forgot that some blogs start from the bottom and read up when I expect them to read from the top down.

If you are going to blog your camino I would be interested to follow it.

thanks
David

thanks for that, yes it works fine, I forgot that some blogs start from the bottom and read up when I expect them to read from the top down.

If you are going to blog your camino I would be interested to follow it.

thanks
David
Maybe I'll post some notes while walking but I prefer to post journal after returning home when all the impressions, photos and GPS tracks are sorted.
Buen Camino!

Hi Laurie
Ive never used this forum before, but was glad to stumble across your accounts of the camino Levante as they are few and far between.
I was thinking about doing it in September 2015 but it seems most people do it at the beginning of the year, is there any reason for this?
Also i was trying to download the info page you attached with more info, is it still possible to access this?
I realise this is an old thread but thought i would give it a go :)
Thanks for any info you may have
Cheers
Bec

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Bec,
Welcome to the forum! You will find a lot of information here about the Levante, actually. There's a group of us who have walked (one is walking now, in Ourense), so fire away with questions.

The document is an attachment in word. You should be able to open it by clicking on it, but if you have a problem, let me know and I can send it to you via email.

I walked the Levante starting in early May and the weather was perfect. Others have started later. The forum member who is walking now started in the first week of June but decided to skip Toledo-Avila because it was just so hot. I was also walking in June on another Camino and there was definitely a heat wave gripping Spain, so maybe he just had bad luck, but I think starting earlier is better on this Camino if your schedule allows. September could still be very hot.

You should be prepared for a solitary camino. I was lucky and met two French pilgrims on the third or fourth day and we walked together all the way to Santiago, but that was sheer luck. Most people walk alone most of the time and are alone in albergues.
Buen camino, Laurie

Gracias Laurie!
I got the attachment now. This place is a wealth of info!
Im a Aussie girl and prefer the heat to the cold :) which is why i wanted to do it on the shoulder month of the summers heat, I walked the VdlP in September too, there was definitly some hot days but cold just does not agree with me.

I choose this one as my next one as it looked like it held a few challenges :)
Thanks again for your help
Bec

Gracias Laurie!
Im a Aussie girl and prefer the heat to the cold :) which is why i wanted to do it on the shoulder month of the summers heat, I walked the VdlP in September too, there was definitly some hot days but cold just does not agree with me.

Bec

Hope you enjoy the Levante in September, Bec -- are you going this year? Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
¡Si Señora!
I will be doing it this September 2015, im already living in Spain, i just need to get the guide book sent from Valencia :)

I walked a while ago, starting in September 2009. Others will have more up to date information on stages, infrastructure, etc. But is was very hot at the beginning, but also could be cold when I got up towards Galicia in mid October - sometimes the temperatures were around freezing first thing in the morning. The Levante is busier tan it was, but worth bearing in mind that I was the only pilgrim when I walked. No one had been in the albergues for 6 weeks.
There's some stuff on my blog if you trawl back to September and October 2009. Let us know if you have any questions. Enjoy
Andy

Thanks Andy, i think i ended up on your blog the other day! Im slowly working my way through all the info here. Im sure i'll have plenty of questions before i go on my way.

Hi guys
The guide book for the Levante does that include etapas from Zamora to Santiago as well or only from Valencia to Zamora? Do i need my VdlP book as well?
Thankyou :)

Hi, Rexi,
The guidebook does include the Sanabres, so if you are planning to go that way after Zamora, you don't need anything else. But if you wanted to go Granja de Moreruela to Benavente and then on the Frances, you won't find that alternative in the guide. Unless you're going to be in Valencia during the three or four hours a week that the friends' office is open, you'll have to buy it online (and if you're from the US that will likely include a very high fee by your bank for the transfer). Or maybe Vanessa in the Pension Paris will buy it for you and have it waiting there, but you would have to ask. Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. The Spanish version is a more recent edition, the English version is the older (2010?) edition, but they send the new maps. I think they are waiting to sell all the English copies before releasing a new English version, but I'm not sure.

Gracias Laurie!

Bec

Hi, I agree About the heat. I was planning on Sept this year but had to change to 2016. Would love to hear all about your experiences on this camino.

Thanks Laurie i've contacted the association in Valencia so waiting to hear from them so i can pay for the book. I would love to get the Spanish edition but while i can hold a conversation my spanish isnt good enough yet! Safer to get the English.
AZGirl and Joe shame i wont see you out there this year but will definitely let you know of my experiences :)

Thanks Laurie i've contacted the association in Valencia so waiting to hear from them so i can pay for the book. I would love to get the Spanish edition but while i can hold a conversation my spanish isnt good enough yet! Safer to get the English.

My Estonian friend had the English Levante guide and it looked fine and I was very jealous of his maps. But it was quite out of date, so did not mention the new albergues in San Clemente, Castronuño, Torrijos and possibly some others.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My Estonian friend had the English Levante guide and it looked fine and I was very jealous of his maps. But it was quite out of date, so did not mention the new albergues in San Clemente, Castronuño, Torrijos and possibly some others.

Those albergues all opened up since my Levante in 2013. I haven't heard of any others, though I did post about these when I heard. Kinky will be home soon and can fill us in on accommodation updates.

I think the "out-datedness" is mainly in the accommodation area. As far as the route itself goes, I know the route from Chinchilla was changed to get people off-road, but that is well marked now. There also seems to be some confusion after San Clemente. I think the route was changed, so that you are not supposed to turn left at the abandoned white finca on the hill, but peope who have stuck with my notes and continued to walk that way tell me it works fine.

I think the guide will still be very useful, and the maps will be the new ones! Buen camino, Laurie

This is just an historical note:
when I walked in 2009, the whole area from Chinchilla to the outskirts of Albacete was a construction site. Fortunately this was obvious from the hill Chinchilla is on, and I could also just see Albacete in the far distance. I walked on a compass bearing.
I think the route here changed as a result of this

I have the info from the resource section from you guys and i'll see what else they send with the book! Getting excited wont be long now! Again thanks for everyones help.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have the info from the resource section from you guys and i'll see what else they send with the book! Getting excited wont be long now! Again thanks for everyones help.
Hola, Rexi!
@peregrina2000 is right I'm home already but after being absent for a bit more than two months I have really a lot to do before I'll be able to put together all the photos, gps tracks and my notes. I'm afraid that will be too late for you but ask anything you might be interested in and I'll dig into my material right away :)

Hey Kinkyone
Thanks i appreciate it. Im not much of a planner so i suppose im more wondering if you used the guide (the english version or up to date spanish version) and if that was sufficient? Also curious:
-did you encounter any other perigrinos on the Velencia to Zamora strech?
-how much water were you carrying, i have my Camelback just wondering if i need extra water on top of that?
Thanks for any help, its always hard getting back to reality!!

Hey Kinkyone
Thanks i appreciate it. Im not much of a planner so i suppose im more wondering if you used the guide (the english version or up to date spanish version) and if that was sufficient? Also curious:
-did you encounter any other perigrinos on the Velencia to Zamora strech?
-how much water were you carrying, i have my Camelback just wondering if i need extra water on top of that?
Thanks for any help, its always hard getting back to reality!!
Hi, Rexi,

I compiled my own guidebook from different internet sources (www.vieiragrino.com, www.mundicamino.com and this forum) with brief descriptions, distances, available ATMs/bars/restaurants/shops/albergues/CRs or hotels etc.in villages (with contact details) and that was mostly enough. Sometimes when in doubt I double checked the route with gps tracks either from http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/routes/details/levante.html or already mentioned Vieiragrino site (they are not always exactly the same). Where the Levante and Sureste share the stages marking is MUCH better because Alicante Amigos seems to be doing their "job" far better than Valencians and if you really want to walked just Levante that's another reason to watch out for the splits.

To Zamora this is very solitary Camino especially in the summer. March/April/May and late August/Spetember/October/November there are more mostly Spanish pilgrims I was told by hospitaleros and other locals. I've slept with 2 Spaniards, 2 Austrians and 1 Italian on different nights and locations in albergues. Also saw few bicigrinos.

Amount of water varied from stage to stage, also depends on how hot particular day was, were there lots of uphills etc. but mostly 4 half a littre (2l total) plastic bottles were enough. I drank only tap or fountain water although somewhere I had a feeling I was drinking directly from the swimming pool (Albacete) but overall it was OK (Avila has very good water).

Hope that helps.

Maybe just another little warning about distances. My Endomondo GPS app recorded 20-30% longer stages than in the sources I mentioned above. And I don't think it was wrong, because on Sanabres official distances and my Endomondo were sometimes apart for just 5% (at most). I think I know where's the problem on Levante but I'll write about that more later in my journal.
From Valencia (I started literary in the Mediterranean sea, so that adds 7kms to cathedral) to Toledo it was 550kms and from Avila to Zamora 200kms. On the paper Toledo-Avila is ca.135kms so I guess that with my GPS it would be 170kms. So that would be 920kms and not 725kms as I had the information :confused:

Ha wow! Thanks KinkyOne. Great info sometimes its best just to put your mochila on your back, start walking and hope you arrive before dark :D! Ive got the english guide now and they also sent me updated maps in attachments for some of the stages, which i'll send to the guys here incase they want to put it in resources.

Ha wow! Thanks KinkyOne. Great info sometimes its best just to put your mochila on your back, start walking and hope you arrive before dark :D! Ive got the english guide now and they also sent me updated maps in attachments for some of the stages, which i'll send to the guys here incase they want to put it in resources.
Anyway, now you know where to find Levante veterans if you need anything from us :D

Ultreia!

Well the day has finally arrived i walk out of Valencia tomorrow! A priest at the cathedral just gave me my first stamp of this Camino and wished me well :D thanks again to all for advice and info

Well the day has finally arrived i walk out of Valencia tomorrow! A priest at the cathedral just gave me my first stamp of this Camino and wished me well :D thanks again to all for advice and info
That's nice :)
If you would need anything while walking and we can help just ask, please. I began to organize my photos and notes on Levante yesterday so it's still fresh in my memory.

Ultreia!

General comments:

Buen camino, Laurie
Air fares booked , and just booked the first three nights in Valencia (Paris) now I feel as my Camino has started. Happy New Year and a Merry Christmas to all.

If anyone from the US is going to walk the Levante from Valencia in 2016, I have a favor to ask. Vanessa of Pensión París has been very kind and helpful to forum members. I know she had a baby a while back, and I´d like to send her a t-shirt from Illinois. If you would be willing to take it over and give it to her, please let me know and I'll buy one and send it to you. Thanks, Laurie

Hi, I agree About the heat. I was planning on Sept this year but had to change to 2016. Would love to hear all about your experiences on this camino.
Hi AZgirl, it good to know someone else is walking the Levante in September, I arrive on the 3rd into Valencia (staying at Paris for a three nights) and leave on the 5th as I am a slow walker and and in no hurry we may cross on the way. Trevor Australia.

Hi AZgirl, it good to know someone else is walking the Levante in September, I arrive on the 3rd into Valencia (staying at Paris for a three nights) and leave on the 5th as I am a slow walker and and in no hurry we may cross on the way. Trevor Australia.
I love paris what a great way to your trip! sadly i am not too sure if i can still make it in sept. lots of house repairs of late, but it would be great to cross paths. I'm still trying but for now it is up in the air, and may have to be delayed a bit.

@peregrina2000 I will be happy to bring anything over for you, if you still need someone to when i make it over there.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I love paris what a great way to your trip! sadly i am not too sure if i can still make it in sept. lots of house repairs of late, but it would be great to cross paths. I'm still trying but for now it is up in the air, and may have to be delayed a bit.

@peregrina2000 I will be happy to bring anything over for you, if you still need someone to when i make it over there.

I think trevorcc is referring to the Pension Paris, a great little pilgrim-friendly place to stay in Valencia! And thanks for the offer to bring the shirt over, AZgirl. I'm going to mail it from Spain when I arrive in May.

Sorry you may have to postpone your Camino de Levante, but it'll be there waiting when you get across the ocean. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks for the offer, I hope things fall into place and you can walk the Camino this year. Trevor

I think trevorcc is referring to the Pension Paris, a great little pilgrim-friendly place to stay in Valencia! And thanks for the offer to bring the shirt over, AZgirl. I'm going to mail it from Spain when I arrive in May.

Sorry you may have to postpone your Camino de Levante, but it'll be there waiting when you get across the ocean. Buen camino, Laurie
Hi Laurie how are you hope 2016 started well I am getting excited, nervous just like my first Camino, plus the Canadians who came and visited me in Santiago hospital on my first Camino will be walking from Madrid in September so after a few years I will also be catching up with them very exciting times ahead. Thinking of walking from Porto if time allows.
Trevor

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

ah that makes sense, I hope to stay there as well.

THanks, I needed to hear that. I am still hopeful I can make it as planned, it is just hard as I already had to postpone it once. but I suppose a few more months won't make the camino dissapear. I was hoping to see a new season, but if I miss this sept, I will probably try for april/may again.

ah that makes sense, I hope to stay there as well.

THanks, I needed to hear that. I am still hopeful I can make it as planned, it is just hard as I already had to postpone it once. but I suppose a few more months won't make the camino dissapear. I was hoping to see a new season, but if I miss this sept, I will probably try for april/may again.
Keep your chin up, if you can make it that would be great as this year has been declared a Holy Year of Mercy by the Pope so 2016 will be good as the next Holy year is 2012.

Hi all. I'm planning to do a decent chunk from Finestrat after i finish looking after donkeys while their slave gets a short holiday, then jump to the last 200 k or thereabouts of the Levante. Any ideas on where to jump ahead? I'm time limited and anyway a slow walker. I do want to arrive in Santiago, and cycling is not an option this time so I'm looking at 400k total. Starting after Easter, and i need to be home in France before the 5th of May
I'll be leaving a car in Finestrat, and the drive home is two days.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After several cancellations I think I am ready to walk the Levante this time. Plane tickets booked for a start at the end of April - four weeks to go!

General comments:

Buen camino, Laurie[/perigrina 2000post 14
Thanks very much for this, very useful and interesting. I'm hoping to take the Madrid for a few stages and then switch across to the Levante before Arévalo next year.

And I do so agree about Santiago de los Caballeros - a lovely lovely church, and both times I've been there I've had it to myself. According to tradition, el Cid spent a night in vigil in the church before being knighted there.

QUOTE]
Hey Laurie,am very interested in your comments re the Levante.Partner and I did the Mozarabe last year and are wanting to do a similar ( but maybe less climbing ,and go in cooler weather !)walk this year .Love Spain and the casinos we have done (not as many as you ) .Will read through all your material and can I ask you questions then .Do you think May a good time ? Thanks and look forward to whatever else you write .A walk filled and blessed 2017

thanks Laurie for a great post .can i contact you on forum after reading your material? Thinking about May this year .what do you think ?

Trevor how was your camino in September? Would you recommend it?

€60,-
thanks Laurie for a great post .can i contact you on forum after reading your material? Thinking about May this year .what do you think ?
Always happy to blather on about what a wonderful camino I had on the Levante. :p

May is a fabulous month to start. The flowers and the shockingly bright green fields are wonderful.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Having read your blog about "Levante" i can tell there was plenty of extremely useful informations in it, for anyone willing to walk along that track!

I am also curious about the "tool" you told us about a couple of times in your blog, regarding some device (something like an electric powered coffee cup...) you brought with you in order to secure a warm cup of coffee in the mornings, even when the spanish bars were still closed.

Can you tell us something more about that device?

I have just two addictions: the first are the Caminos and the second is coffee... so you probably can understand me!
:D

Having read your blog about "Levante" i can tell there was plenty of extremely useful informations in it, for anyone willing to walk along that track!

I am also curious about the "tool" you told us about a couple of times in your blog, regarding some device (something like an electric powered coffee cup...) you brought with you in order to secure a warm cup of coffee in the mornings, even when the spanish bars were still closed.

Can you tell us something more about that device?

I have just two addictions: the first are the Caminos and the second is coffee... so you probably can understand me!
:D

Oh my, it looks like the "electric coil club" will get a new member. :)

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ric-coil-changed-my-life-on-the-camino.19167/

That's probably more information than you want, but essentially it's a coil that you stick in water to heat it for coffee or whatever else you might want to do with boiling water. It has really made my mornings so much happier on these remote lonely caminos with no pilgrims and no bars!

€46,-
Thanks a lot, Laurie!

I'm already on the hunt for such an electric coil to have better wakeups during my next Camino del Levante!
:)

Apart from one day (where I ended up with a caffeine withdrawal headache) I always found a bar within an hour or two of setting off

Apart from one day (where I ended up with a caffeine withdrawal headache) I always found a bar within an hour or two of setting off

Wow, you were lucky, andy. It may be that we started out earlier than you did, (I would say that we typically started around 6:30, so that undoubtedly meant that even if there were places within an hour we might get there before opening time). I remember that frequently, at 10 am on the dot, my two French friends were sitting down in a field to make a coffee with their jet boil because we had not yet come across anything open. I always made coffee for all of us with the electric coil in the albergue, so they could save their very hard to find jet boil fuel for coffee stops in the field.

It was September, and I couldn't go beyond the town limits before first light if I wanted to find the way, so I must have been starting as the bars opened.
I think there were people harvesting on quite a few sections, I guess the bars opened for them too

But coffee stops would have been very good! I've got a camping cafitiere somewhere

Hi, Julio,

Annie -- If you walk from Alicante, you will be on the Camino del Sureste not the Levante (you may already know this but I think it's confusing). The Sureste and the Levante intersect and occasionally overlap but only in between Albacete and Medina del Campo. You'd need a different guide, and Gronze says there is one for the Sureste but I've never seen it: http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiag ... l-sureste/

By the beginning of June, we were in Zamora, so we were heading north and had no trouble with heat. In fact, we had many days that started out no higher than 6 or 7 celsius. Between Valencia and Zamora, there are many stages with no trees and no shade of any kind, so it doesn't take really hot temperatures to make walking uncomfortable. By June I think you might have missed the full spring palette of emerald green fields and bright red poppies and other wildflowers, but I'm not sure about that. I think starting in early May is perfect, but people along the camino told us that pilgrims come throughout the summer.

Maybe if we keep talking about the glories of the Camino de Levante, others on the forum will decide to join you! Buen camino, Laurie
Hi
Yes, that's the book. With it, you will be fine.

I started alone, expecting that I wouldn't meet up with others. I have walked alone for long stretches of my caminos in 2011 and 2012, so I was not worried about that. In Xativa, which is probably day 3, I met two French guys. On day 4, we walked a few kms together into the albergue in Font de la Figuera, and from there we just fell in together. Our walking paces were very compatible, nearly identical. Though they did longer days than I usually do, I was able to increase my distances a bit and stayed with them all the way to Santiago. I feel very lucky and blessed that I met them. We had lots of alone time together, lots of fun together time (luckily one spoke good English and I have a pre-schooler's command of French), and it was great.

We did meet two other French pilgrims, a couple, and saw them for a few days. Other than that, there were two or three Spanish men we saw once and never again. A few cyclists, and that was it. I expect the numbers will keep growing.

If you're an albergue-only person, this isn't the camino for you, because there were many nights where we had no choice but to take a room in a pension or casa rural. Never above 25 E, if memory serves, and usually 20 or less. The menus del dia are head and shoulders above the menus you will find on the Frances, prices usually 8-10.

Get to this camino now before the rest of the world finds out about it! Buen camino, Laurie
Hi wondering about weather in late October early November, hopefully not too much rain ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back