Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Recommended starting hour for unplanned route in August

Gaetan De Waele

GaetanDW
Time of past OR future Camino
Planning: Camino Primitivo august 2015
I'm starting my Camino Primitivo in Oviedo on 5 August.

As it is my first Camino, I'm not able to know how much I will be able to walk each day. Therefore I am not planning anything for a day to day itinerary.

Since I know I will be participating in the race for beds, I want to get a hold on what will be recommended for starting hour. I am not particularly a slow walker, but not a speed hiker either. How crazy is the race for beds on the Primitivo in peak months like August? Will I need to start my daily hike on 5 to 6 am, or is this too exaggerated?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bonjour Gaetan,

As there are many hard core walkers on the Primitivo, people who are able to do long distances and enjoy walking long days, I did not have an issue for getting a bed since the people I left with in the morning were going further than me, and those behind me would only catch up late in the afternoon, if the the evening. I would not plan on leaving in the wee hours of the morning, just get up when the others do and get on with your day. There are a few places where you can reserve ahead of time, perhaps that would make you feel better, but I would not worry.

Hi, Gaetan,

According to reports on the forum over the last few years, the number of pilgrims on the Primitivo really spikes in August, when most Spaniards take their vacation. When I last walked it, maybe 2011, I even met a couple who had abandoned their Primitivo in August because of crowds and returned the next year in June when I was walking. But I think they may have had the really bad luck of coinciding with a couple of large groups. The offering of albergues is adequate but not huge. That's usually not a problem, but in August you may find a crunch. I'd be surprised if you found a "bed race," though, and Anemone's comments also suggest that shorter stages are a good way to be more certain about a bed. If you get there and find a crunch, you can always call ahead to private albergues (growing number) or pensiones.

IMO, this is one Camino that you should never walk in the early morning dark, because you will miss too much spectacular scenery!

You will love the Primitivo, so please don't be nervous about finding a place to sleep. And let us know how it goes! Buena camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There was a 'spike' in numbers one day when we were on the Primitivo in May 2012, with some folk having to go on from Berducedo to La Mesa (reported to us by a pilgrim we met). They passed us while we were in Grandas for 2 nights in a pension. if you do get caught in the numbers like that then a short day (as suggested) or maybe a rest day will let them pass and there be less pilgrims around. I think many maybe start at the weekend so starting midweek may be quieter anyway.
I would agree with @peregrina2000 that you do not really need to walk before it is light. Not only would you miss the amazing scenery but maybe could miss the markers as well.
Buen Camino

Thanks for the replies!

I will start my walk at dawn each day then, so I can have peace of mind while still being able to enjoy the scenery (also I enjoy morning hikes, so no problem there).
I will take all tips given into account, and will definitely let this forum know how my Camino went!

Thanks for the replies!

I will start my walk at dawn each day then, so I can have peace of mind while still being able to enjoy the scenery (also I enjoy morning hikes, so no problem there).
I will take all tips given into account, and will definitely let this forum know how my Camino went!
Wish you well on your journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The only reason I would ever start in the dark would be to beat extreme heat ie above 37 degrees, on a known long day. I think you miss too much if you start too early especially some of the encounters with wildlife. I would rather fork out for a private place if need be. I started anywhere between first light and 8 am as a rule depending on the day's distances.

I have to say that if you follow the suggested stages (which to me are way too rushed) you will coincide with the hardcore walkers who are also following the long stages to do it in 11/12 days, I allocated 16 and just finished last week and enjoyed it immensely - I could take my time and do long days if needed and then have a short day which meant I never had to worry about not getting a bed, municipal alberges are not the only option either and there are plenty of private alberges, casa ruralisation & hotels (which aren't that expensive) to me it was about the overall experience, not just a race to the end as it seemed to be for many

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have to say that if you follow the suggested stages (which to me are way too rushed) you will coincide with the hardcore walkers who are also following the long stages to do it in 11/12 days, I allocated 16 and just finished last week and enjoyed it immensely - I could take my time and do long days if needed and then have a short day which meant I never had to worry about not getting a bed, municipal alberges are not the only option either and there are plenty of private alberges, casa ruralisation & hotels (which aren't that expensive) to me it was about the overall experience, not just a race to the end as it seemed to be for many

Just a note to remind everyone that we have been down this road many times before, most recently on this thread. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...s-slow-enough-and-some-other-questions.35107/

Walking speed is such a personal thing --one person's rush may be another's stroll. No need to equate walking at a faster pace with rushing or racing. The Primitivo is beautiful no matter how many days you take! Buen camino, Laurie

Just a note to remind everyone that we have been down this road many times before, most recently on this thread. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...s-slow-enough-and-some-other-questions.35107/

Walking speed is such a personal thing --one person's rush may be another's stroll. No need to equate walking at a faster pace with rushing or racing. The Primitivo is beautiful no matter how many days you take! Buen camino, Laurie
I think the point here is that you can be strategically slow and/or walk shorter etapas ti increase tue odds of getting a bed.

I'm starting my Camino Primitivo in Oviedo on 5 August.

As it is my first Camino, I'm not able to know how much I will be able to walk each day. Therefore I am not planning anything for a day to day itinerary.

Since I know I will be participating in the race for beds, I want to get a hold on what will be recommended for starting hour. I am not particularly a slow walker, but not a speed hiker either. How crazy is the race for beds on the Primitivo in peak months like August? Will I need to start my daily hike on 5 to 6 am, or is this too exaggerated?
HI Gaetan -- We just walked from June 9 through June 23. The only place that was a pinch point at that time was Berducedo. I just was a hospitalera on the Camino Frances and having ovserved pilgrim patters for half a month will add this: starting time totally depends on how hot it will be that day. If it was going to be a hot day, most pilgrims would be out of our albergue by 5:45 (about as early as it was light enough to see). If it wasn't going to be so hot, many would stick around until 6:30 or 7:00. I suspect the Primitivo will be the same.

For what its worth, I also agree with Peregrina2000 -- this is not a route to walk in the dark! The trail is often very rocky and rough.

Liz

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back