• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport from Santiago to Ponferrada

Rita56

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello all.
Apologies if I am not doing this right but I am a new face to the forum. I know there are very helpful people out there so I am appealing for your patience and knowledge. I am walking with 4 friends from Ponterrada to Santiago on 2nd of Sept this year. Our flight gets in from Dublin to Santiage at 15.30 hrs. We need to get to Ponterrada to start the walk the next day. Could you please advise on modes of transport to Ponterrada and times. I know this is asking a lot but I am confident there are good people out there to advise.
Also I am having difficulty booking accommodation in O'Cereiro. Any suggestions or alternative location to stop overnight. We will be walking from Villafranca Del Bierzo that day.
Thanking you in anticipation. I should say I am not good at timetables etc consequently the appeal for help.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
These buses go on to Ponferrada, but you can get off at Villafranca and save some time:
upload_2015-7-25_17-7-40.png

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and providing the time table. I really appreciate it. We have our accommodation booked for the first night in Ponferrada and intend walking to Villafranca the next day and then onto O'Cebreiro the day after.
I'm just a bit concerned about accommodation in O'Cebriero as I know it it is in big demand. I have tried lots of places but haven't secured anything yet. Anyway thanks again falcon 269 you have been a great help.
Rita
These buses go on to Ponferrada, but you can get off at Villafranca and save some time:
View attachment 20054

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello all.
Apologies if I am not doing this right but I am a new face to the forum. I know there are very helpful people out there so I am appealing for your patience and knowledge. I am walking with 4 friends from Ponterrada to Santiago on 2nd of Sept this year. Our flight gets in from Dublin to Santiage at 15.30 hrs. We need to get to Ponterrada to start the walk the next day. Could you please advise on modes of transport to Ponterrada and times. I know this is asking a lot but I am confident there are good people out there to advise.
Also I am having difficulty booking accommodation in O'Cereiro. Any suggestions or alternative location to stop overnight. We will be walking from Villafranca Del Bierzo that day.
Thanking you in anticipation. I should say I am not good at timetables etc consequently the appeal for help.

Do you mean you want to get to Ponferrada on the evening of the day you fly into Santiago? If so, you'll be pushing it a bit but it's possible if you don't mind arriving quite late. Just make sure you don't try to walk too far the next day! As well as the buses mentioned above, you can get a train, leaving Santiago at 6.35pm with a change at Ourense, and arriving at Ponferrada at 10.19pm. I think that might be your best option - the first bus time available to you would be the 21.30 one on the timetable above (the one at 17.00 doesn't run on the day you need), which would get you to Ponferrada in the early hours of the morning.

For accommodation in O Cebreiro - we stayed at a casa rural called Venta Celta, after it was recommended on this forum. We had a double room with private bathroom for 40 Euros and it was fine - cosy and clean, and the owners were very nice and helpful (and spoke excellent English). There is a big bar/restaurant downstairs where you can eat. You can book by email at ventacelta@hotmail.com.

Buen Camino!

Do you mean you want to get to Ponferrada on the evening of the day you fly into Santiago? If so, you'll be pushing it a bit but it's possible if you don't mind arriving quite late. Just make sure you don't try to walk too far the next day! As well as the buses mentioned above, you can get a train, leaving Santiago at 6.35pm with a change at Ourense, and arriving at Ponferrada at 10.19pm. I think that might be your best option - the first bus time available to you would be the 21.30 one on the timetable above (the one at 17.00 doesn't run on the day you need), which would get you to Ponferrada in the early hours of the morning.

For accommodation in O Cebreiro - we stayed at a casa rural called Venta Celta, after it was recommended on this forum. We had a double room with private bathroom for 40 Euros and it was fine - cosy and clean, and the owners were very nice and helpful (and spoke excellent English). There is a big bar/restaurant downstairs where you can eat. You can book by email at ventacelta@hotmail.com.

Buen Camino!
Thank you for all your help. It has been invaluable. Here's hoping it will be a "Buen Camino" Gracias.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back