• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Phone service in Spain

jkk

I am leaving from Iowa to start my Camino on August 24. My last ( I hope) big question is about phone service. I had been told by my cell phone company that my old Samsung smart phone would work in Spain if I purchased a Spanish SIM card. I found out today that I need a newer phone if I want to get a SIM card ànd actually make calls or text. I just wanted that capability in case of an emergency at home. Otherwise using email and Facebook and my blog when WiFi is available is still possible with my current phone. So my question is, what is cell phone service like in rural Spain? Is it like it is in many rural places in the US-very spotty? Or is it reliable? Will WiFi be available at least once a day? I will be doing the Camino Frances. Also, does the website blogger work in Spain?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am leaving from Iowa to start my Camino on August 24. My last ( I hope) big question is about phone service. I had been told by my cell phone company that my old Samsung smart phone would work in Spain if I purchased a Spanish SIM card. I found out today that I need a newer phone if I want to get a SIM card ànd actually make calls or text. I just wanted that capability in case of an emergency at home. Otherwise using email and Facebook and my blog when WiFi is available is still possible with my current phone. So my question is, what is cell phone service like in rural Spain? Is it like it is in many rural places in the US-very spotty? Or is it reliable? Will WiFi be available at least once a day? I will be doing the Camino Frances. Also, does the website blogger work in Spain?

I'm certainly no expert, but do you know why your old phone supposedly won't work? I bought a cell phone in Spain more than ten years ago, and every year I just buy a new sim card for it and I can call or text just fine (though it's old style texting, very cumbersome). Maybe the difference is that I have an old Spanish phone and you have an old US phone, but it might be worth pursuing a bit further. The other option is to just buy a cheap Spanish cell phone when you're there, you can get them very cheap in connection with a purchase of a SIM card.

WiFi is everywhere in Spain! I've gotten on in bars in villages of 30 people. I don't think you'll have a problem. Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm certainly no expert, but do you know why your old phone supposedly won't work? I bought a cell phone in Spain more than ten years ago, and every year I just buy a new sim card for it and I can call or text just fine (though it's old style texting, very cumbersome). Maybe the difference is that I have an old Spanish phone and you have an old US phone, but it might be worth pursuing a bit further. The other option is to just buy a cheap Spanish cell phone when you're there, you can get them very cheap in connection with a purchase of a SIM card.

What carrier is your current phone on? Verizon, AT&T, Sprint? You may be able to use what you already own.
For coverage in rural areas, get a Spanish SIM card that is on the Movistar network.
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Spain

is everywhere in Spain! I've gotten on in bars in villages of 30 people. I don't think you'll have a problem. Buen camino, Laurie
My carrier is US Cellular. I have a Samsung S3. According to the tech person

that phone will not work with a European SIM card. I would have to update to the Samsung 6. I have decided I will just use local WiFi and email updates to my family.

My carrier is US Cellular. I have a Samsung S3. According to the tech person

that phone will not work with a European SIM card. I would have to update to the Samsung 6. I have decided I will just use local WiFi and email updates to my family.

Basically your phone will be a wifi only device since it has does not have GSM capabilities.

JKK, you may want to look in to an application (app) called "Whatsapp" It allows you to text (or call) over WIFI to other people that have the same app installed. This is how I will communicate with my family to let them know I am okay and how they will let me know if there is any emergency at home. I also have a Samsung S3.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I used a Vodafone SIM card in Spain and it worked fine. Very few dead spots. And easy to top up in shops along the way.
On the CF you'll have access to WiFi (Wee Fee) every day. Most cafes, bars etc will have free wifi.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am leaving from Iowa to start my Camino on August 24.

Buen Camino from a fellow Iowan, Enjoy the journey!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back