• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Singing Pilgrims

DLJ

Time of past OR future Camino
Just a comment on one of the small pleasure along the Camino. Once on the road, but at least 3 times in churches, not during any service, just stopping in for a visit or to get a stamp, Pilgrims started singing songs from the Mass, a cappello, it was truly a beautiful moving experience. In my experience they were French or German Pilgrims.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, wouldn't more of that be wonderful? We had the good luck to be upstairs on over-flow mats in the parrochial albergue in Longrono when a few French university students in the bunks downstairs prepared for 'lights-out' by softly sharing a Taize verse. The song drifted gently up the stair and created a vibe that was a perfect pilgrim lullaby. They gave us another gift when they sang among themselves on the road the next day.

I suppose most of us feel we can't sing well so we don't sing at all. But voices joined together always sound good to me!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, wouldn't more of that be wonderful? We had the good luck to be upstairs on over-flow mats in the parrochial albergue in Longrono when a few French university students in the bunks downstairs prepared for 'lights-out' by softly sharing a Taize verse. The song drifted gently up the stair and created a vibe that was a perfect pilgrim lullaby. They gave us another gift when they sang among themselves on the road the next day.

I suppose most of us feel we can't sing well so we don't sing at all. But voices joined together always sound good to me!
Hi Hobbyhorse, I sing in a choir here in Victoria and we meet monthly for Taize. I actually thought of putting copies of a couple of them in my backpack; now perhaps I will. The 'chants' are very easy to learn even if you don't read music….how lovely it would be to sing with others on the 'way'….

Hi Hobbyhorse, I sing in a choir here in Victoria and we meet monthly for Taize. I actually thought of putting copies of a couple of them in my backpack; now perhaps I will. The 'chants' are very easy to learn even if you don't read music….how lovely it would be to sing with others on the 'way'….
Is there a link or how could I find a copy of the chants? When I was in grade school each grade was a choir; but the Nuns always told me, "Dave, you just hum." But, I think I am up to the chants now.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Is there a link or how could I find a copy of the chants? When I was in grade school each grade was a choir; but the Nuns always told me, "Dave, you just hum." But, I think I am up to the chants now.
Hi DLJ, I'm not aware if any are on line in the public domain, I would go through my choir director and pay for the copyright fees to copy one or two of the ones we use, and could teach them along the way. I am solo, but I do hope to be sharing my walk with others. They are easy to teach. They are very short and with words, but the repetition and the meaningful words are more likened to soft chants. Others here might know of another option for you to find them.

Here is an interesting bit from Taize itself on the subject of when/how copying is permitted and how it relates to the spirituality of the song-prayers. http://www.taize.fr/en_article114.html

It appears that there might be some sympathy for a non-commercial spiritual use preserving the integrity of the songs as printed, with requests being case-by-case.

And the site offers something about how to learn the songs, a helpful touch I haven't explored there yet.

I have no first-hand knowledge of this but the DLJ's question is a good one. I actually had another Taize encounter on the Camino, at the Tosantos parrocial albergue (one day's walk further beyond Granon) A young woman staying asked if anyone wanted to stay to sing after the group reflection/prayer in the hidden chapel. Everyone said yes - especially since most of us were older, it was a lovely thing to be invited by 'the young crowd' :>) She passed around copies of multi-lingual Taize words, which may have been in a small book, I don't recall. I wasn't clear on whether she was carrying them on her pilgrimage or whether they happened to be available through the parish or albergue. Although it was most likely her own, this ancient parish house/ albergue was a very happy, memorable experience. I would trade any hotel room for one of the mats on its floor and a seat at the communal meal. The informal little chapel was an intimate place were singing really seem to fit, when someone had the courage to encourage it.

Here is an interesting bit from Taize itself on the subject of when/how copying is permitted and how it relates to the spirituality of the song-prayers. http://www.taize.fr/en_article114.html

It appears that there might be some sympathy for a non-commercial spiritual use preserving the integrity of the songs as printed, with requests being case-by-case.

And the site offers something about how to learn the songs, a helpful touch I haven't explored there yet.

I have no first-hand knowledge of this but the DLJ's question is a good one. I actually had another Taize encounter on the Camino, at the Tosantos parrocial albergue (one day's walk further beyond Granon) A young woman staying asked if anyone wanted to stay to sing after the group reflection/prayer in the hidden chapel. Everyone said yes - especially since most of us were older, it was a lovely thing to be invited by 'the young crowd' :>) She passed around copies of multi-lingual Taize words, which may have been in a small book, I don't recall. I wasn't clear on whether she was carrying them on her pilgrimage or whether they happened to be available through the parish or albergue. Although it was most likely her own, this ancient parish house/ albergue was a very happy, memorable experience. I would trade any hotel room for one of the mats on its floor and a seat at the communal meal. The informal little chapel was an intimate place were singing really seem to fit, when someone had the courage to encourage it.
How lovely for you. Yes, it is a small book that we use and I appreciate the link. Thanks. Maggie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hah, on a lighter note; We sang Abba, Sinatra, and Beattle tunes. everyone knows them in English.:)

I met a Pilgrim in a small church after Portomarin who was singing "Donna Nobis Pacem". I started singing with her, and the sound of that was beautiful! She was German and I could not understand a word of what she said afterwards, but we were both really happy.

Along the way, I was singing "Into the Woods" quite often becuse I had watched it on the plane and it matched the scenario :p

Thanks, the Taize link is interesting. Although the singing I recall was probably not the short Taize songs, but songs related to the Mass. As they were sung in French and German, neither of which I speak, I don't know anything about them, but it was beautiful, and obviously memorable. Thanks again.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back