• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Statistics

richeyboy

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP-SdeC: Oct 2011; SJPP-Leon, Oct 14; Tomar (PO)/SJPP Oct 15
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me please the best site to visit to find out the stats (numbers by month for the last couple of years or so) on pilgrims as measured by the pilgrims office in StJPP and the Cathedral Office at Santiago?
Many thanks Richeyboy

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A selection of Camino Jewellery
John,
Thanks for the website for the statistics. That was very helpful, and a real eye opener on the actual numbers of people. We are planning on walking the camino frances in May 2013. More people walked this May than we had realized. Thanks again.
Nikki

crogh said:
John,
Thanks for the website for the statistics. That was very helpful, and a real eye opener on the actual numbers of people. We are planning on walking the camino frances in May 2013. More people walked this May than we had realized. Thanks again.
Nikki
Hi Nikki! May is a lovely time to walk so don't let the numbers put you off. There are plenty of people around, but it's not ridiculously busy. Also remember that the number of arrivals in Santiago include a large number who will have only walked the last week or so, so if you're planning to walk longer much of your Camino will be quieter. Buen Camino!

Hi Johnnywalker and Jochen Schmidtke,
Thanks for your help about the Santiago pilgrim site and you too Jochen for putting it all together in such a clear way.
Now we know how many, when and from where.
Seeing how it is growing I think I had better start preparing for a winter trip!
Richeyboy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Our 2012 numbers a little higher than average because of the release of the " WAY " , makes me wonder if the numbers in 2013 will drop after the hype from this film is forgotten?

Statistics 2012

richeyboy said:
...Can anyone tell me ...
http://peregrinossantiago.es/esp/oficina-del-peregrino/estadisticas/ is the site to visit for a comprehensive breakdown of monthly arrivals in Santiago.
This year (2012, guessing December) there has been a 5% increase of arrivals compared to 2011, reaching more than 192'500 (2011 - 183'400). About 50% were Spanish, down from 53% in 2011.
August arrival numbers, the busiest month, topped (in order of importance) July, September, June, May, October and April. Significant increases in arrivals, compared to 2011, were during the months of May (+ 10%) and October (+11%)
70% of Year-to-date arrivals (approx. 134'000) walked the Camino Francés. Of the latter, 23% had started in SJPP and/or Roncesvalles, 30% from Sarria. The remainder started from places in between (Astorga, Ponferrada, O'Cebreiro, etc.).
Arrivals of foreigners from April through October (53% this period) were 8% from Germany, 6% from Italy, 5% from Portugal, 4% from France, 3% from the USA (!), 3% from UK and Ireland, and the remainder from a myriad of other countries.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's difficult to assess development on relatively small figures. Fact is that for starts the 2014 numbers are down compared to the same period of the last 2 years. :confused:
It stands to wonder why the number of foreigners, compared to total arrivals, is percentage wise below previous years, since locals can probably adjust their walk much easier according to weather forecasts. If it wasn't for the Coreans.....;)

Pilgrim arrival statistics – cumulative January - July 2015

The total of pilgrims arrivals registered at the Pilgrims’ Office of Santiago during this period was 137’364, representing an increase of 15’067 pilgrims (+12%) compared to the same period in 2014.

Of these pilgrims, two thirds or 66% walked the Camino Francés (+9%), 17% the Portugués (+21%), 4% the VdlP (+10%), 6% the Norte (+9%), 4% the Primitivo (+41%), 3% the Inglés (+29%) and 1% (-2%) all other caminos.

An ever increasing number of pilgrims walked the last 100 kms during this period: 25% started from Sarria (+18%) and 10% from Valença/Tui (+24%), Ourense (+7%) and Lugo (+39%).

16% (+4%) of all pilgrims started from either SJPP, Roncesvalles and/or Pamplona.

The proportion of Spanish (46%) and foreign (54%) walkers has remained constant during the past few years.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Pilgrim arrival statistics – cumulative January - July 2015

The total of pilgrims arrivals registered at the Pilgrims’ Office of Santiago during this period was 137’364, representing an increase of 15’067 pilgrims (+12%) compared to the same period in 2014.

Of these pilgrims, two thirds or 66% walked the Camino Francés (+9%), 17% the Portugués (+21%), 4% the VdlP (+10%), 6% the Norte (+9%), 4% the Primitivo (+41%), 3% the Inglés (+29%) and 1% (-2%) all other caminos.

An ever increasing number of pilgrims walked the last 100 kms during this period: 25% started from Sarria (+18%) and 10% from Valença/Tui (+24%), Ourense (+7%) and Lugo (+39%).

16% (+4%) of all pilgrims started from either SJPP, Roncesvalles and/or Pamplona.

The proportion of Spanish (46%) and foreign (54%) walkers has remained constant during the past few years.

Interesting sub trends as you can see that people are shifting towards either starting closer or taking alternate and shorter routes like the Portugués and Primitivo

There was a slight uptick in the July numbers (13% increase), so if this continues through August and into the autumn then we should easily hit 270,000 for the year.

It seems that many are moving to the quieter routes, so making them more crowded as they become more popular. If anyone wants a statistically quiet route then try the Ruta do Mar from Ribadeo, culminating in the Camino Inglés. There are problems with waymarking, tarmac/paving and overgrown or churned up track in some parts but you cannot beat it for solitude and there are great cliff top views and interesting places as you walk. I suspect that the infrastructure etc will improve (waymarks through towns/accomodation maybe) as the Lugo Amigos would like to see it as a recognised route, but for the present it is much like the Camino was many years ago. There are no statistics as the route is not yet recognised and we gave our 'start' as Ferrol for our Compostelas :) as Ribadeo would have put us on the Norte for the stats.

It will be interesting to see if the route is recognised and the statistics then

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The August monthly statistics year over year show a significant drop in the overall growth rate

54795 for August 2015 as compared to 51219 for August 2014 - an increase of only 6.9 % which is down as compared to the growth rate since the beginning of this year ( January to July - approx 12%), and down compared to previous months of August

August was the first month this year in which the total did not reach the total for the last Holy Year! It still is healthy growth.

August was the first month this year in which the total did not reach the total for the last Holy Year! It still is healthy growth.

" A healthy growth" I've heard this term many times related to the stock market.:)
By the way Falcon, you have in your pic a Pelegrin riding a bycicle.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back