• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I need to bring a sleeping-bag in september?

norwegianwoods

Time of past OR future Camino
Have had one previous Camino experience: Le Puy route in France in 2011.
Planning to walk on Camino del Norte this summer (2014), in August/ September.
Hello forum-members,
I am planning to walk on CN from August 30, and on for two weeks. As far as can get in that time, without any hurry (this walk is a test of my back's capability, after just having recovered from a herniated disc).
My question is; do I need to bring a solid sleeping-bag, or would It suffice with a silk-liner and perhaps a thin light-weight blanket? I know the weather can be more challenging on this route, but does it ever get chilly at night? Want to pack as light as possible.... And would be grateful for any recommendations.
Greetings

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello forum-members,
I am planning to walk on CN from August 30, and on for two weeks. As far as can get in that time, without any hurry (this walk is a test of my back's capability, after just having recovered from a herniated disc).
My question is; do I need to bring a solid sleeping-bag, or would It suffice with a silk-liner and perhaps a thin light-weight blanket? I know the weather can be more challenging on this route, but does it ever get chilly at night? Want to pack as light as possible.... And would be grateful for any recommendations.
Greetings
I took a summerweight sleeping bag at this time and will do so again this September. It can get chilly.
I found that carrying a pack actually improved my back. Having had disc problems for years I was apprehensive, but the pack improved my posture, ensured an upright posture. Never had a back problem in six weeks on the Camino, and the improvement has lasted two years now.
Buen Camino
Gerard

Hello forum-members,
Greetings

I will also be walking CN in September and wondered the same thing since in 2 CF walks I did not need one, but in May of 2013 I had to purchase one in Burgos (record cold temperatures that spring!). A friend who lives in Spain said to me that the temperature is not the real issue, but the rain, and that after walking in the rain for hours I would welcome the comfort of a warm bed. And so the sleeping bag is packed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am starting the CF in a couple days and not taking a sleeping bag....just a silk liner.
I guess I will just have to wear clothes to bed if it gets cold.
My pack is always too heavy no matter what I do. Not taking a rain jacket either and am still heavier than I want to be.

I am starting the CF in a couple days and not taking a sleeping bag....just a silk liner.
I guess I will just have to wear clothes to bed if it gets cold.
My pack is always too heavy no matter what I do. Not taking a rain jacket either and am still heavier than I want to be.
Grayland, don't carry more than two cans of beer and your backpack won't be so heavy :D Easy.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello,

Maybe something to consider is what type of sleeper one might be. Some bodies are more cold or more warm during day/night.

For example, I am an extremely hot sleeper (that always sounds funny) so I rarely get under the covers at most places. Carrying a simple sleep sheet in the summer for over 15 years which 95% of the time gets used as "barrier" between me and the bed even if provided with sheet in hostel/refugio. This summer, only inside my sheet on two occasions and wound up out of it by morning. If I ever did need something more substantial, somehow I was provided. However, if one is a colder sleeper, then something more significant would be a good idea. Sometimes we forget our own body temperature and what would be ideal.

Only a couple more weeks before you go. May you have the best of all journeys.

Salud,
Simeon

Hello,

Maybe something to consider is what type of sleeper one might be. Some bodies are more cold or more warm during day/night.

For example, I am an extremely hot sleeper (that always sounds funny) so I rarely get under the covers at most places. Carrying a simple sleep sheet in the summer for over 15 years which 95% of the time gets used as "barrier" between me and the bed even if provided with sheet in hostel/refugio. This summer, only inside my sheet on two occasions and wound up out of it by morning. If I ever did need something more substantial, somehow I was provided. However, if one is a colder sleeper, then something more significant would be a good idea. Sometimes we forget our own body temperature and what would be ideal.

Only a couple more weeks before you go. May you have the best of all journeys.

Salud,
Simeon
A silk sleep sack adds about 10 degrees warmth, which is usually adequate for summer/autumn in an alberque. The alberque may have a blanket, but the sleep sack is still a good idea.

I sleep cold, at least I need to be nice and warm to be able to fall asleep and go back to sleep if I wake up in the night. In 2012 I started in SJPdP in a heatwave mid August, bought a light sleeping bag in Burgos because nights were getting colder, and in Galicia mid September I was cold even sleeping in all my wool, silk bag and sleeping bag, with a hat on and two blankets! This year I start in Astorga and I have changed what I pack: Smaller and lighter kit, fewer clothes but more wool, and a bigger, warmer, heavier sleeping bag! Bigger in size so I don't feel so restricted, warmer so I can get a better night's sleep, and it weighs only a little bit more than my thin bag plus silk bag. It can be opened up as a duvet so is very flexible. If you sleep cold or have problems getting warm in bed, I wouldn't go to Galicia, whether it's on the CN or the CF, in the autumn without a sleeping bag. I will be spending eight hours a day inside the bag so it needs to be comfy.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks to all for sharing their experiences. I guess I will have to decide whether I am a hot or a cold sleeper, and then also not carry around beer or other useful items that can be bought on site wherever I land for the night...
Gracias!

Depending on where you live and the temps there at the moment, take your duvet/covers off the bed, open the window all day and all night and take your silk bag and/or sleeping bag to bed. Keep some wool or other base layers handy. You'll soon find out if you are too hot or too cold to sleep comfortably. I did this yesterday with the patio doors wide open and was nice and warm inside my big bag, so I know for certain that it's worth the weight.

Hello forum-members,
Greetings
My wife and I walked the CF from 9 Sep thru 2 Oct 2013 and found no need for sleeping bags. We were quite comfortable in alburgues using only our bag liners. Do take rain gear though.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I suppose the question is what will you do if you end up with a cold night and you are not equipped to deal with it.

Anyone can be uncomfortable on the camino.

I used mine a lot during May & June this year and would carry one again . Even if staying in albergues the temp varies dramatically depending on people opening and closing windows. Slept on floors several times.

Between Sept 2 and Oct 7 2013 I welcomed my lightweight inexpensive sleeping bag that stuffs into its bag and doesn't take up a lot of room that I'd bought at Canadian Tire, a chain of stores that is an affordable place to buy most ordinary dry goods, housewares, recreational equipment, hardware and automotive supplies. During a chilly night at Rabanal del Camino I added necessary warmth with a wool blanket provided by the albergue.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Between Sept 2 and Oct 7 2013 I welcomed my lightweight inexpensive sleeping bag that stuffs into its bag and doesn't take up a lot of room that I'd bought at Canadian Tire, a chain of stores that is an affordable place to buy most ordinary dry goods, housewares, recreational equipment, hardware and automotive supplies. During a chilly night at Rabanal del Camino I added necessary warmth with a wool blanket provided by the albergue.
Take your sleeping bag then if you find you don't need it you can, as we did, mail it forward to Santiago to await your arrival.

Hello forum-members,
Greetings
I am starting my Camino on Sept. 1 and I am not packing a sleeping bag. Instead I choose a warm liner.....If thats not enough I will just have to wear my clothes...

Hello forum-members,
Greetings

From my experience, heading out Sept. 1, 2014, you will only need a liner. REALLY. Hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Helpful thread, as I have been wondering the same thing. Thank you everyone for the advice so far.

I'm only walking for a week from StJPdP starting 17th September.

I am trying to keep my costs and backpack weight down, but the lightest sleeping bag I have here is 1.15kg (and bulky). Really can't afford to buy another.

So I am hoping to be able to take a silk liner and a microfleece blanket totalling 475g. I will also have a poncho to lay over the top for insulation, and a foil emergency blanket. Plus my clothes!

I will watch the weather/temperature the week before I leave, but I think I will leave the bulky bag behind and trust I will be snug enough!

The liner and micro blanket sound good. Leave the foil blanket home or risk being diapised by your roomates as these are super noisy and you will keep everyone up.

OK! I'd not thought of that, but point taken. Foil blanket will not be packed.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Is a sleeping bag necessary in pensiones?
In pilgrim albergues you need something to keep separate your body from the mattress cover. In hot weathr many pilgrims use just a lightweight liner for a bag and not a sleeping bag. In cold weather a sleeping bag keeps you warm. Blankets often are available in pilgrim albergues but they may be dirty.

In small hotels often called hostals in Spain clean bedding and towels sre always provided.

Hello forum-members,
Greetings

We went in July, and I mostly slept in my bra and underwear on top of all my covers, only at the end of the trip could I finally tolerate being in my sleeping bag. I brought a sleeping sheet liner, and a sleeping sack from REI, both lightweight, but warm together. I liked having the sheet to use in the beginning of the night, and my sleeping sac next to me to pull over when it finally cooled down. I'm sure things cool down in Sept. but you may still enjoy the options of a sheet and sack, and plus, I figured if it ever did get too cold, I could put on some extra clothes and socks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.