• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to sleep in Saint-jean?

Larxene

Time of past OR future Camino
25/8/2105
Hello! My partner and I will arrive Saint-jean on the 25th august at 20pm or so.
My question is if to book a place for the night before, or we will find somewhere to sleep when we arrive?
if to book now, any websites or phones we should check? ty in advance

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
August will be busy! Here is a handy on-line Gronze list of places to stay in SJPdP. Citations in brown ink are pilgrim albergues and in black ink are regular tourist acommodation. Some are also listed via Booking.com. I have always happily stayed at the municipal albergue accessed through the Pilgrim Office on the camino at 55 rue de La Citadelle. They do not take reservations but will help you find a room when on site.

Buen camino!

Last edited:
August will be busy! Here is a handy on-line Gronze list of places to stay in SJPdP. Citations in brown ink are pilgrim albergues and in black ink are regular tourist acommodation. Some are also listed via Booking.com. I have always happily stayed at the municipal albergue accessed through the Pilgrim Office on the camino at 55 rue de La Citadelle. They do not take reservations but will help you find a room when on site.

Buen camino!
So...Even though its busy we can get there and get a room? no need to pre-order?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As I noted it will be busy! You might be more relaxed if you reserve a place in advance. Nevertheless the Pilgrim Office which is open throughout the year until the last train/bus arrives will help you find a spot when you arrive.

The 25th is pretty late in the holiday season, so i cant imagine you having any problems. I am arriving on the 2nd September and I certainly am not booking anywhere - not found any problems on previous Camino but bear in mind it does get a bit tight for accommodation on the last 100 km into Santiago (but always found a bed).

The 25th is pretty late in the holiday season, so i cant imagine you having any problems. I am arriving on the 2nd September and I certainly am not booking anywhere - not found any problems on previous Camino but bear in mind it does get a bit tight for accommodation on the last 100 km into Santiago (but always found a bed).
Even when arriving at 1930 pm? :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello! My partner and I will arrive Saint-jean on the 25th august at 20pm or so.
My question is if to book a place for the night before, or we will find somewhere to sleep when we arrive?
We found a lovely place to stay in SJPdp that does not seem to be on most lists. You need to book in advance because they only have 3 rooms.
Errecaldia
5 Chemin de la Porte St Jacques.
St Jean Pied de Port.
05 59 49 17 02
Web www.errecaldia.com email tim@errecaldia.com

hi, read that as 2 pm not the 20:00 hours you intended. To be honest I would be a bit wary of arriving anywhere in France at that time. I am flying in and staying overnight in Bordeaux so I can catch the early train/bus into St Jean the next day. I loose a day but at least I feel a bit easier about it. sure it will be all OK but I understand your hesitation now.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Find a list of all places to stay in St Jean, close your eyes, and point. Select that place, make a reservation or not, then have faith and trust in the Camino that it WILL be good!! ...and it will be. :)
Buen Camino!!
Terry

If you're able, I'd recommend skipping a stay in SJPP. Ivan and Barbara run Corazon Puro and will pick you up in Pamplona, lodge you at their albergue (with an excellent dinner and breakfast) and then transport you to SJPP the next morning for only 43 euros. We told many other pilgrims who'd wished they'd known; having spent far more on busses, taxis and then the cost of their gite in SJPP!

Book now, where does not matter. After all, it's not as if you'll be able to be picky from that point on, so why be picky there?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We will arrive this August 5, and as this month is quite busy we booked at least on the night of our arrival. We used Booking.com

The thing is that every place we found we can book for was quite expensive. we dont mind spending that much on the first night but it seems like such a shame when there are albergus and such. Is there a place near the bus station?

hi, read that as 2 pm not the 20:00 hours you intended. To be honest I would be a bit wary of arriving anywhere in France at that time. I am flying in and staying overnight in Bordeaux so I can catch the early train/bus into St Jean the next day. I loose a day but at least I feel a bit easier about it. sure it will be all OK but I understand your hesitation now.
Haha, thats alright. sorry for making that mistake. :) So you're still saying that we shouldnt be streesed out on booking now? sorry for being so worried!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The thing is that every place we found we can book for was quite expensive. we dont mind spending that much on the first night but it seems like such a shame when there are albergus and such. Is there a place near the bus station?
There are many albergues you can book. Have you visited the Eroski site to see which one give that option?

Hi Templarsoul. That is a great tip, I will look it up. I was wandering how to get to SJPP myself and this sounds like a great idea.

5th April 2015 - we didn't arrive in SJPdP until quite late on Sunday evening. We stayed at Beilari ( which was great, very friendly and they provide an evening meal every night but Sunday) and we booked that before arrival. We were surprised that the pilgrim's office just across the road stayed open until 11pm that day. Good to note that the train from Biarritz is not running at the moment. We used a young English guy called James O'keefe for a transfer to SJPdP. Details:
biarritz-logo-big.jpg

t: +44 (0) 29 21 251 255
m: +33 (0) 7 87 01 04 05
www.biarritzairporttransfers.com
We organized this well in advance and found James extremely pleasant and reliable. When we got off the train he was there with a smile.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Hello
Attached is a list of accommodations for the Frances camino including Saint Jean Pied de Port and an extract from lvre Raimund Joos

Attachments

• list of pensions and hotels on Camino 2015.pdf
    654.6 KB · Views: 32
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

an other extract of the book Raimund Joos

Attachments

• Nouveau 2.pdf
    577 KB · Views: 12
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Buen camino!
Gronze: What an excellent website! Thank you for the link.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Find a list of all places to stay in St Jean, close your eyes, and point. Select that place, make a reservation or not, then have faith and trust in the Camino that it WILL be good!! ...and it will be. :)
Buen Camino!!
Terry
I love this message. I'm doing Camino Frances starting In early June 2016 and I want that attitude that it all work out and not worry about everything. Play it by ear. Love it. Can't wait to do it.

I love this message. I'm doing Camino Frances starting In early June 2016 and I want that attitude that it all work out and not worry about everything. Play it by ear. Love it. Can't wait to do it.
Hi denis52, So happy to hear you're going to play it by ear! But just in case, remember that at the Pilgrim Office, they usually know where to find a vacant bed or two. Remember this old Persian proverb - Trust in God but tie your camel! Have a wonderful experience!!
Buen Camino!
Terry

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back