• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Join me on a virtual camino walk this summer?

I had a quiet day today - a gently walk in Ferrerios. I stopped here briefly in 2010 for coffee, but don't recollect much else about it. I think I might have been focussed more on getting to Portomarin than anything else.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Doug you probably passed by where I was sitting and about to enjoy a delcious Sunday lunch! Down the hill next to the church and cemetary the restaurant O Mirallos is a favorite stop. Their great simple food with kind service is hard to beat. They are open every day, serve breakfast from 07:00 and have a small dorm for those in need.

@mspath I am sorry to have missed you, but thank you for the recommendation. It looks like it would have been a good place to stay as well as eat. Tonight I am staying in Gonzar, another village I don't recall from 2010. I was very much taken by Gitlitz and Davidson's descriptions of the towns just past Portomarin:

Toxibo The town is smaller than its name, but has a nice horreo just north of the Road

Gonzar At the entrance to town are some enormous oaks. Gonzar is even smaller than Toxibo. Ins nondescript Iglesia de Santa Maria is appropriately diminutive.
With that description, I felt I had to stop here.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry we missed meeting! Years back in 2010 I stopped in the private albergue in Gonzar. It was late November and cold walking with frozen mud on the path through the wood. The private albergue had great food in an elegant renovation with slate floors, white walls and wonderful single beds clad in crisp linen. However NO heat except sub floor pipes in the loo. Guess where I slept? On that heated loo floor since there were no other pilgrims but plentiful blankets for topping my sleeping bag!

Last edited:
My Brierley guide is getting worn out from my flipping back and forth to see where everyone is talking about. I also have a maps-only book that I'm trying to save for the real camino, but sometimes I have to open it to make notes. I suppose I should be using an e-guide for a virtual camino, but I'm not!

I will be taking a some time off again. We have three funerals this week and next, starting tomorrow, and it has been a tough time lately. Afterwards I could do with flying out to the real camino, but instead I will try to get out there and walk and enjoy for those who no longer can. And my husband is putting in his holiday request so we can start on the first third to Burgos this autumn or next spring ...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have reached Palas de Rei, a town that I walked through on my last camino because it was so busy, and I was after a place where I could quietly reflect on what I had achieved, and what was still to come. I will do the same tonight by finding a quiet place, perhaps with a garden or nook that I can sit in after I have done my laundry and shopping. Any recommendations?

After staying at Melide last night, I walked to Arzua today. Unless something untoward happens, I think I will reach Santiago by Sunday night. We'll see.
@dougfitz you are amazing! i'm not even halfway yet! Fromista today and hope for Carrion at the weekend. Nursing a very sore shoulder and waiting for an Ultrasound with guided steroid injection, then hopefully can get back to walking with my poles.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last night was spent at Santa Irene. Isn't it wonderful that private albergues are never booked out on a virtual camino! Today I stretched it out with gentle 11km walk before lunch and a 10 km race walk this afternoon. With that and some other walking I have reached Santiago. Tomorrow I will visit the Pilgrim Office, attend mass, visit the reliquary and hug Santiago's statue. It will be a wonderful day.

Last night was spent at Santa Irene. Isn't it wonderful that private albergues are never booked out on a virtual camino! Today I stretched it out with gentle 11km walk before lunch and a 10 km race walk this afternoon. With that and some other walking I have reached Santiago. Tomorrow I will visit the Pilgrim Office, attend mass, visit the reliquary and hug Santiago's statue. It will be a wonderful day.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You are such an inspiration @dougfitz! I'm off to put my hiking shoes on and follow in your footsteps.

You deserve your wonderful day! Tapas and tinto? or maybe something a little more special, you earned it.

I have reached Santiago.
Yes - congratulations! Are you going on to Finisterre or elsewhere?
Even on a virtual camino I am making very slow progress! I last reported from Orisson, having re-started my camino with an eye to shorter distances and reduced walking on hard surfaces...

The night in Orisson was great. I had sent part of my pack contents by transport, and did it again for the day from Orisson to Roncesvalles, but expect to carry it the rest of the way. Upon leaving Roncesvalles the next day, I was curious about the Camino Canonigos but decided that I would rather walk along the main route and get familiar with my fellow pilgrims. I walked just 12 km to Viskarret and stayed at Corazon Puro, so most of them will disappear ahead. However, I must discipline myself to accept that and enjoy the surprise when I do encounter familiar faces in the future. I prefer to walk alone but really enjoy socializing at the stops.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Phew some of you are powering on, I feel really bad now! Hadrian's Wall Path walk is in a month's time and I have boots to reacquaint myself with, insoles to figure out and a pair of hybrid sandal/shoes to test for spares ... and now I have got a cold so I am completely sofa'd. However I am not giving up, there is training to do, miles to put in and boots to tame! In the words of Arnie: I will be back!

I feel really bad now!
You shouldn't. You got us started on this, and I have quite enjoyed putting a few extra steps in each day on walks or at work to get my distances up a bit. It might have helped with my 10,000 Step Challenge at work starting at about the same time. Overall, SJPP to SDC took 50 days, or about 16 km/day.

Tonight I will be getting ready to continue out to Muxia and Finisterre, then back to Santiago. Then I might treat myself to tapas.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for your kind words, I feel like going to virtual Rabanal and holing up there until I get better. Today I am being proactive and ever so virtually Spanish and making a huge pan of black lentil soup - yes, that one that's everywhere on the meseta! - with chunks of chorizo and loads of garlic. If that doesn't see me right nothing will!

@nidarosa we are all doing the best we can! I for one am grateful for the nudge that this virtual camino is giving me as I am 67 days and counting till I return to the actual camino. Having a hard time walking without my poles at the moment but at least I'm on the meseta which I absolutely loved.

Calzadilla de la Cueza for me tonight, I actually took a dip in the pool last time I was here! I was delighted to meet Cesar who has walked the camino himself and loves to talk to pilgrims, he had a kind word for all of us and served me the tastiest chicken I had on the whole camino.
I'd love a bowl of your soup though, haven't made it at home .... recipe?

@Griffin57 : I don't know how authentic a Spanish person would say this is but it certainly works for me! I had black lentil soup every time I saw it on the menu so it is at least up to my own exacting standards. Here goes:
1,5 litres of boiling water, two veg stock pots (I am ill, I do not make stock)
Two onions, one stick celery, lots of garlic and 100 g chorizo all finely-ish chopped. Two big carrots, roughly grated (easier and faster than chopping), a small leek in chunky slices, a few chopped new potatoes with the skin on and 50 g black lentils. Leave to simmer until you can't stand smelling it without having it anymore. Dunky bread optional.
That's it and that's all - no added salt, spices, tomato etc needed (in my humble opinion). Quick, easy and healthy, and very very tasty even with a cold!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Griffin57 : I don't know how authentic a Spanish person would say this is but it certainly works for me! I had black lentil soup every time I saw it on the menu so it is at least up to my own exacting standards. Here goes:
1,5 litres of boiling water, two veg stock pots (I am ill, I do not make stock)
Two onions, one stick celery, lots of garlic and 100 g chorizo all finely-ish chopped. Two big carrots, roughly grated (easier and faster than chopping), a small leek in chunky slices, a few chopped new potatoes with the skin on and 50 g black lentils. Leave to simmer until you can't stand smelling it without having it anymore. Dunky bread optional.
That's it and that's all - no added salt, spices, tomato etc needed (in my humble opinion). Quick, easy and healthy, and very very tasty even with a cold!

That's it I'm making it tomorrow, have everything but the celery and leek. I did have it a couple of times but never thought of making at home. Perhaps I should make a Tarte Santiago for dessert?

Awwww Of course, sorry that you are ill, I am virtually stroking your ? fevered brow and giving you a big virtual hug!!! :( why is there no unlike button?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
What is nice about this thread is that it allows us to offer up trivial thoughts and personal memories in casual conversation, without feeling they should be relevant to a specific Q&A! For example, the fact that I noticed a variation on the map that I might look for next time, or that @Griffin57 took a dip in the pool last time. Similarly we toss out thoughts or musing about a future camino.

In my dreams... I've left Viskarret and the Corazon Puro and intend to walk about 10 km to Zubiri today. (My metatarsals are not bothering me, but I am aware of the fact that they are looking for any excuse to disintegrate.) Last fall I stayed in Albergue Zaldiko, which was OK but it was a bit cramped. I didn't sleep well because of the church bells! I have googled the exact location of the highly recommended El Palo Avellano which I didn't see last year because it was just off the path.

Now I will copy down that lentil soup recipe and see what ingredients I must send my husband out to buy (after all, I'm not supposed to be walking).

What is nice about this thread is that it allows us to offer up trivial thoughts and personal memories in casual conversation, without feeling they should be relevant to a specific Q&A! For example, the fact that I noticed a variation on the map that I might look for next time, or that @Griffin57 took a dip in the pool last time. Similarly we toss out thoughts or musing about a future camino.

In my dreams... I've left Viskarret and the Corazon Puro and intend to walk about 10 km to Zubiri today. (My metatarsals are not bothering me, but I am aware of the fact that they are looking for any excuse to disintegrate.) Last fall I stayed in Albergue Zaldiko, which was OK but it was a bit cramped. I didn't sleep well because of the church bells! I have googled the exact location of the highly recommended El Palo Avellano which I didn't see last year because it was just off the path.

Now I will copy down that lentil soup recipe and see what ingredients I must send my husband out to buy (after all, I'm not supposed to be walking).

I liked El Palo de Avellano, lovely food and of course being on virtual camino you will have a flat bed, no bunk for you!

With a little brisk walking, I made it to Chancela, just before Negreira yesterday, and today pushed on to Vilaserio. There is something much calmer about the roads and towns, perhaps because there fewer pilgrims, but perhaps also we are no longer feeling driven to reach Santiago. Although there are some who have passed me that seem determined to make Finisterre in three days, I will be taking it much more slowly than that. It will give me more opportunity to reflect on the past couple of months.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Tonight I am in Olveiroa. I didn't stop here last year, but walked on to Dumbria having stopped the previous night at Santa Marina. Tomorrow I must decide whether to walk to Finisterre first, or go to Muxia.

Wow, @dougfitz , almost by the sea! I am now finally getting rid of this very persistent cold and will be out breaking in my new pink Salomons tomorrow. Don't know how far I get but I am hoping I can get some kms in daily from now on. Not only is Hadrian calling in August, but I was hit with a bout of Post Camino Blues recently (brought on no doubt by watching too many YouTube camino videos while recuperating) and am now planning a little top-up camino this Autumn ...

Wow, @dougfitz , almost by the sea! I am now finally getting rid of this very persistent cold and will be out breaking in my new pink Salomons tomorrow. Don't know how far I get but I am hoping I can get some kms in daily from now on. Not only is Hadrian calling in August, but I was hit with a bout of Post Camino Blues recently (brought on no doubt by watching too many YouTube camino videos while recuperating) and am now planning a little top-up camino this Autumn ...

Oh Nidarosa I know what those blues feel like :( I wasn't supposed to going to Spain this year, busy with son's wedding and daughter's engagement, other son moving etc, etc ,etc. I should have felt really happy, lots of great things happening for the family and I AM ..... but there was something missing??? My youngest son Ben, who has walked the camino sensed this and has persuaded me to do something for me. Go back! 'Only' for 2 weeks but it will be enough, I was bubbling with joy when I made the final decision, finances will be tighter but not impossible. I am 'seizing the day'!

Oh! Where am I? On my virtual camino I will reach Leon today or tomorrow, things have been a little slow here but not come to a standstill. Weather is good a bit windy but I'll manage at least 10k today maybe more.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Griffin57 - oh yes, those bouts of PCB can be really hard and also hard to shake. I am glad you are doing this for yourself, and you have raised a good son who can see that you need it! I took my husband for a two week camino for our honeymoon in March and we had a wonderful time, all alone on the mountains and trails of Galicia. He now longs to go back, but can't due to work, and still I have booked my tickets to go again in September ... it feels a little bad, but also very good, and I have to keep reminding myself that this is what I said I would do for myself once a year. He knew this all along and supports my going, but still I feel a little bad. So today we are heading out on his day off, to have a walk together, stop for some potted shrimps, a pint and a clara en route, and do some hybrid sandal testing in the process.

Stayed virtually at Sansol last night, never been there before but the paddling pool and little bar seems very nice! Today I am aiming for Logroño, where I arrived in sandals in 2012 (hence the sandals today) and bought my perfect mid boots after leaving my brand new and slightly-too-small shoes in Estella. I stupidly stayed in an albergue that night to make up for the expense of the boots and missed out on the tapas and nightlife - this time i virtually won't! I shall not go to bed at ten tonight! :D

On the virtual camino, I've walked 13.6 km from Zubiri to Zabaldika where there is now a donativo parish albergue. According to the recently-released-in-English guide by Joos, it is only open until mid-October so I will likely not get to stay here when I come through then. I have the Joos guide on my phone now and am getting used to using it. I still like to have the paper map book, though.

On the real front, I did make some "lentil" soup as inspired by @nidarosa . It didn't have any lentils in it but did have black beans and lots of garlic, so it was delicious. Instead of walking I have been obsessing over the little shoulder bag I'm making to carry phone, guidebook, money, etc. It is coming along nicely. I think my foot is, too, but I dare not really test it for a couple of weeks yet!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My weekend has been pretty busy. I reached Finisterre on Friday night, and walked out to the lighthouse for the sunset and back. It was nearly midnight by the time I got back into the town, and I was pretty glad that I had chosen to stay in a hotel, and not face a potential curfew at an albergue.

On Saturday, I headed out towards Muxia, and with today's walking, have reached Quintans. I should be back in Olveiroa tomorrow night, or not far from it.

Yesterday I had a lovely walk in the sun and arrived at virtual Sotés, since I have already stayed in Ventosa before (loved the albergue where they woke us up with classical music!), started with UL trekking poles and then switched to PacerPoles, much better. No hip pain, and the new (same make and model) shoes felt like slippers straight out of the box. So far so good. Today I had an ... interesting walk in the rain and on tarmac, and got to virtual Nájera, where I also never stayed before. No sticks, same shoes, and I am contemplating ibuprofen cream on the soles of my feet. I am convinced that tarmac does something bad to my feet although apparently this is something mostly Northern Europeans talk about. Anyway, I have plans to rehydrate and have some lovely Chinese food now and watch some camino YouTube clips!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have arrived in Pamplona, staying at the Jesus and Maria. It has such a great location and is a good place for lone walkers like me to find company to enjoy the street life and cafes. That compensates for the unisex bathrooms. (But there's still lots of privacy in the showers, so don't be concerned with that.)

Last week I went on an excursion that involved almost 5 km of walking by the end of the day - my longest walk in over 5 weeks. It was fine, and this morning when I got up and stepped on the hard floor in bare feet, I could say for the first time in months that my bad foot had virtually NO undesirable pressure on the bottom. So I'm almost ready to start daily walking again. I told myself to wait until August, but might start gently this week.

I am convinced that tarmac does something bad to my feet although apparently this is something mostly Northern Europeans talk about.
I tended to dismiss the frequent comments about hard surfaces, since I had no such problem.:oops: However, now I am 100% convinced that brisk walking in heavy stiff boots with inadequate roll, on concrete sidewalks was the cause of my stress fractures. So even with proper footwear, I will be a little more cautious and try to reduce speed when I'm on the hard surfaces now!

I decided to go back to Leon and hole up there for a while. Didn't manage to see inside the cathedral last time I passed through.
In reality NO walking, had an ultrasound on my left shoulder and a cortisone injection, was warned pain would be worse before better so feeling a bit sorry for myself. :(
By next weekend I am aiming to get back to full training though am wary about carrying backpack just yet.
I have decided aging is NO fun whatsoever!:mad:

Oh. What a pity! This thread has been super active for the last two months and only today have I noticed it! I think I would have to walk back from Santiago to meet you all!

We have just arrived in Le Puy and are making our way to the gite near the Cathedral. Last time we stayed in a very boring hotel near the railway station and afterwards I heard great reports about the gite. After we have settled in I'm picking up my bottle of Clako and this year's Miam Miam guide. Looking forward to drinks with the local Amis tonight, and the pilgrim service in the Cathedral early tomorrow morning before we all set off.

It is quite a few years now since I was on this route. Hope I can remember.

Oh. What a pity! This thread has been super active for the last two months and only today have I noticed it! I think I would have to walk back from Santiago to meet you all!

@annakappa you're welcome to 'join' us anywhere you like? We are just walking our daily kilometerage (is that a word?) and pretending we are not at home. @dougfitz has now completed his virtual camino but some of us are still here.
I'll be leaving for real in 51 days time and hope to start doing some proper 'stages', the virtual camino is a great motivational tool for me.:)

I am going on Hadrian's Wall Path in three weeks and back to Astorga (for real!) in September, so any and all kilometrage is helping me get fit and regaining my walking legs before these two walks. Yesterday I walked 12 kms on tarmac in the rain, but I was in the zoo, so that made it more interesting; I had company, which always helps, and I got a chance to test my Helsport poncho and compare it to my lightweight Altus (all well and good but I miss the zip when the temperature rises or rain takes a break), and walking all day without PacerPoles (still eminently possible, so maybe not bother sending them ahead to Spain?). If I didn't have this virtual camino to hang all these things on, and such good company on the way even if we are on different map etapas, I would probably have given up and concentrated on getting this work done before my holiday instead. I love hearing the stories about new places to stay too and have 'ended up' in a few new places which are fun to look up.

You know what? We need a virtual bar/restaurant to meet up in at night, one which looks and feels to each like our personal camino favourite! This place is conveniently placed within hobbling distance from all of our albergues no matter where we are on any given day. This is after all a virtual walk and we can make it what we want. I also suggest it has an outside decking area suspiciously similar to the one at Orisson and has perpetually clear skies and views. The bar should be called Casa Caracola, I think. See you there?

Yes please I'll meet you there, can we get tapas and tinto? I like a big open view with lots of photo ops please.

My walking legs need to get in gear, I may even give my walking poles a test drive at the weekend? I was trained in Nordic walking a few years ago and feel a bit weird walking without them? Are pacer poles very different? Better for my shoulder maybe? Guess I'd have to buy and try?

Have never walked any of Hadrian's wall, I should really as not too far away. Flat I guess?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Day one of my impossibly slow virtual camino over. The weather made it impossible to walk more than 10km so I stopped in Espinal.

I'm staying here for the night http://www.gronze.com/navarra/espinal/albergue-irugoienea

I hope to reach Zubiri tomorrow if the weather holds out. Now for some dinner and vino!

Hi and welcome @clearskies looks like a nice hostel you are in? I had lots of lovely UK rain too, only plodded as far as Virgen del Camino today. Any training is good as only 51 days till my actual camino. Me too hoping for more tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Hi and welcome @clearskies looks like a nice hostel you are in? I had lots of lovely UK rain too, only plodded as far as Virgen del Camino today. Any training is good as only 51 days till my actual camino. Me too hoping for more tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Thank you! @nidarosa introduced me to this thread. It's a fine hostel, even though I haven't stayed there. Expect my virtual camino to be extremely slow during the week, but I hope to catch up during the weekends :) Looking forward to staying in some towns I haven't been in before.

I'm curious where you started from. Were you dropped by helicopter on the Col de Lepoeder, 10 km before Espinal? That is entirely acceptable for a virtual camino.
I started in Roncesvalles Clare...the weather was horrendous so I took a bus to the next stage. Slightly better weather today so I hope to reach Zubiri before the end of the day.

Day 2 has been a good walking day, and I'm easing back into the rhythm. Although I found that descent into Zubiri tricky. I forgot how difficult it was. I'm in Zaldiko chatting with the other peregrinos and going out for a cerveza in a while. Day 3 tomorrow should bring me Zabaldika on my virtual Camino. :)

:D:D:D I'm not sure if you have seen me 'say' this before? It's a northern English expression......??

I'm chuffed to rotten bits!!!!! :):eek::D

Today I walked 10 km in 2.5 hours WITH walking poles and 3kg daypack! Thank you to whoever discovered that Cortisone injected into joints reduces inflammation!?!

This is a great step forward for me, pardon the pun, I did not think my left shoulder was going to allow me to use 2 poles, let alone even think about carrying any kind of pack. I am soooo grateful. :) Not completely painfree but thinking of upping the training by the weekend?

Oh I have now reached Hospital de Orbigo and will stay at the lovely Alberge Verde again where I had the BEST veggie empanada I ever tasted, and vegan cake! Beautiful garden here and a really friendly dog, I think called Lizzie? Slightly hippie atmosphere but the pilgrims are all happy and relaxed.

I was really hoping to get to somewhere new and exciting today but life intervened. Still, I am going to one of my absolute favourite albergues, the two bed cubicle one in Azofra, similar to the municipal in Cacabelos if you have been there. It even has free washing machine usage thrown in and a little foot pool! Celebrated our first 200k there, good memories.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Gosh, I had to look far back to see where I was. Now I have moseyed along from Pamplona to Cizur Menor, after a slow walk sightseeing through the city. (I actually did walk this distance yesterday.) I am staying in Abergue Roncal which has great reviews because of the hospitalera.

I'm in Zaldiko
I stayed there. The welcome, location and the wifi were good, I remember. But I didn't sleep well due to the church bells all night.

@Griffin57 - Good to hear of your good results from the cortisone shot. My foot is doing well but I am forcing myself to walk only small distances (e.g. 5 km) on alternate days until I've talked to the podiatrist next week.

Gosh, I had to look far back to see where I was. Now I have moseyed along from Pamplona to Cizur Menor, after a slow walk sightseeing through the city. (I actually did walk this distance yesterday.) I am staying in Abergue Roncal which has great reviews because of the hospitalera.

I stayed there. The welcome, location and the wifi were good, I remember. But I didn't sleep well due to the church bells all night.

@Griffin57 - Good to hear of your good results from the cortisone shot. My foot is doing well but I am forcing myself to walk only small distances (e.g. 5 km) on alternate days until I've talked to the podiatrist next week.

Yes..the church bells woke me up a few times during my stay last September.

Ok so, Day Three of my incredibly slow virtual camino has ended. I walked for 12km and I have ended up in Zabaldika. I am staying here http://www.gronze.com/navarra/zabaldika/albergue-parroquial-zabaldika. I haven't stayed here before and on my last Camino in September, I was unable to find it on my guide. Ho hum!
What a welcome though! Tomorrow I have a choice between Cizur or Pamplona! Let's hope the weather gods are good and I can get a good day's walking.
No blisters yet you'll be glad to hear.
@nidarosa have you reached Cacabelos yet?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Er ... no, I'm in the similar muni in Azofra ... Work day for me today but I am glad someone is moving on the virtual camino! You'll catch me soon! In the interest of serious camino planning I have purchased walking trousers that are long enough though - hopefully no more stones jumping into my shoes!
*note to self, daypack and poles at the ready tomorrow*

Thank you Clare it's so good to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel! I need to hold back though and not try too much too soon!?
My sister is visiting today and she's a Physio so will have some pro' advice before the end of today.

Will definitely reach Astorga tomorrow haven't done enough today unless I manage an evening walk. Any advice on where to stay in Astorga? Think I'll stay a day and catch up with everything I missed, I can not believe I missed a Chocolate Museum!!! :eek: What was I thinking? :confused:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
6.2 km gets me from Cizur Menor to Zariquiegui, where I'm staying in the private Albergue Zariquigui, which is on the side street up to the left as you are about to pass the other albergue on the main street. Good food, nice bar and seating out the front on the sidewalk, and not too many other pilgrims.

In real life I walked 6 km to (and from) the local beach and on to a blackberry patch where I picked my first 2 buckets of the season. They fit in my backpack so that is good practice too. It was sunny and warm, and I had to wade through 3-4 foot high grass, thistles and brambles to get to the blackberries. I am surprisingly tired after that, my longest walk in 2 months, so I have a good camino feeling.

I missed a Chocolate Museum!!!
My first camino started in Astorga and I missed it too. Next time I will feel that I have earned the chocolates and will be sure to go in.
I need to hold back though and not try too much too soon
I have the same quandary. Each day I scrutinize the feelings in my foot, trying to decide if the minor twinges are normal or whether I should be continuing to stay completely off it. The same sensations in my good foot don't worry me at all! After months of babying and 6 weeks of rest, the other moving parts in my foot must be out of shape even if the bone has healed!

Day Four today and a decent enough walk takes me to Cizur Menor via Pamplona. I had much internal debating whether to stay in Pamplona but I haven't stayed in Cizur before and I had only walked 5km when I arrived in the city. After some tapas and sightseeing, I walked on and now I am staying in Albergue Maribel http://www.gronze.com/navarra/cizur-menor/albergue-maribel.
Tomorrow is the start of the weekend and I hope to up the kms.
I see @C clearly you are only a town or two behind me. You may even catch me up!

Mmmmmmm I love cathedrals ...... and museums ............. and chocolate!!! In no particular order. Astorga won't pass straight through next time.

I see @C clearly you are only a town or two behind me. You may even catch me up!
No, I think you were a town or two behind ME. (However, I'm having a hard time keeping track of my virtual self.)

Since I am alternating days of increased walking with days of rest, I won't be moving far today. So I expect to see you pass through Zariquiegui this afternoon. I'll sit outside the albergue on the main road and watch for you. I'm staying at the private albergue up to the left - it is quite nice.

I'm pulling out of my virtual Camino. There's a possibility I might be going on another real one. Energy being expended on planning.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I reckon that by the time I have gone up to the shop and back, I will have made it to Cirueña! Not very far but every little helps. According to my Brierley maps-only guide (hereafter known as my MOG) I have followed a long, straight road today, when in reality I have been walking around Chester for fun and errands in brilliant walking weather: some sun, mainly overcast, brightening up towards the evening :D

I reckon that by the time I have gone up to the shop and back, I will have made it to Cirueña! Not very far but every little helps. According to my Brierley maps-only guide (hereafter known as my MOG) I have followed a long, straight road today, when in reality I have been walking around Chester for fun and errands in brilliant walking weather: some sun, mainly overcast, brightening up towards the evening :D
So Linda, have you passed the ghost town? I have Ghost Town by the Specials on my Camino playlist. It is there because of Ciruena :D although..it may have been written about Foncebadon!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Day Six was another slow day.
Not really! You passed me in Zariquiegui! I stayed over there a second day and have now managed to get to Obanos where I'm staying in the private Albergue Usda. I didn't do the side trip to Eunate as it would have made the day too long and my foot still gets sore after about 10 km. It is interesting to meet a pilgrim who has walked from near Barcelona on the Camino Aragones that joins the Camino Frances here in Obanos.

Chester? Did you say Chester??? My daughter lives in Chester!!! :eek: I visit there all the time, maybe we can meet up sometime for real?

A slow wander (due to eating far too much chocolate) gets me to Santa Catalina de Somoza. Had to abandon poles again, 3 days of blissful relief from pain is all I got, though I do have better range of movement. Back to the drawing board. :( Looks like I will be using a single pole in 42 days time for my actual camino.
My sister Jayne .... the Physioterrorist! Diagnosed me perfectly and has left me some exercises! :rolleyes:

I think I will reach Foncebadon today? Though I can hear that it's raining quite heavily, can't let it put me off, must strive for more kilometerage today need to up my one armed training! :)

@Griffin57 I have sent you a message. I do indeed live near Chester! Since the rain is holding off in reality, I shall try to get myself rocket-pacer-poling to Grañón, where I have never been but which I have heard great things about, or maybe even further - in which case I deserve potted shrimps, surely?

Thank you @nidarosa for the message!

I did get a bit wet today but ended up walking 22.2km!!! So I bypassed Foncebadon just saying hi to the grumpy goat that tried to head butt me when it wanted my grapes last time. Did not spend too long at Cruz de Ferro as there were too many motorised visitors around. So now I do believe I will be spending the night at Manjarin with Tomas the Knight Templar?My Wise Pilgrim app tells me he has not been in the best of health lately so I will conjure up a virtual mini Parador and invite him to dinner if he is around? I could certainly use a lovely hot bath.

I love Granon! Spent a wonderful evening there, very memorable. Remind me to tell you the story about the little old Italian lady that stole all the chicken sometime! :eek::mad::rolleyes:

Look at you go! I was prepared to end up in Grañón tonight but overshot and am now in (love checking my fitbit against the planificador at the end of the walking day): Castildelgado! Another one I have to google to refresh my memory. I have established that my PF tends to flare up at about the 15 km mark in boots, will check shoes next time. Am now sitting with feet slathered in Unguento Peregrino, up on the sofa and covered with my camino sleeping bag. She who fails to prepare properly, prepares to fail probably!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Isn't it great when you feel like you've earned your rest? And your meal? I'm running a hot bath and indulging in some very delicious strawberries! Didn't see any in Spain??
Glad the PF is letting you do at least 15km, boots were definitely too much for me, I'm using New Balance 959 wide fitting shoes. I'm off to look out my Unguento Perigrino, never thought of using it at home.
My new Buff came today! I got the black high UV Monte de Gozo one and it's already great as a headband! :)

I think the feeling of having earned it is a very important aspect of the whole Camino experience - it certainly makes the vino taste even better! Snap on the headband, I got mine last week and the Scouse Spouse, a recent convert to pilgrimage, got the credencial one. Now waiting for the merino infinity one for cold walks. Also I can definitely recommend the Unguento which is sold in the Santa Maria hotel in Cacabelos and a few other places I have forgotten ... I always get mine in Cacabelos.

Attachments

• unguento.jpg
    unguento.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 3
Day Seven today. A Sunday and it was to be a long distance day, however, it has been a wash out here in Dublin. I clocked in little over 6km and made it to Lorca. Yes, it is only rain and I should really trust my rain gear a little more.
I will aim for a longer day tomorrow as we have a Public holiday here. I am staying in http://www.gronze.com/navarra/lorca/albergue-lorca. I like it here. Lovely food, nice hospitalero and the vino goes does easy :confused:. I am still well in Basque country and will be for another few days before I reach La Rioja, my favourite province :D

Look at you go! I was prepared to end up in Grañón tonight but overshot and am now in (love checking my fitbit against the planificador at the end of the walking day): Castildelgado! Another one I have to google to refresh my memory. I have established that my PF tends to flare up at about the 15 km mark in boots, will check shoes next time. Am now sitting with feet slathered in Unguento Peregrino, up on the sofa and covered with my camino sleeping bag. She who fails to prepare properly, prepares to fail probably!

Wow Castidelgado..I have passed that town on two occasions and can't remember it :confused: I need to take in more of my surroundings!

Bank Holiday Monday (Day 8) here in Ireland and a perfect opportunity to get outdoors. The sun was out (for a change) and I walked just over 14km. I "could" have walked more but I am leaving another section for tomorrow as I have annual leave.

Those 14km have brought me to Villamayor, another town I have not stayed in and I am in the municipal. I'm hoping tomorrow will bring me to Torres del Rio or Viana. :)

Another 14km for me too! Quite enough on top of yesterday's 22.2!

So now I have reached ..... Molinaseca any advice? Somewhere simple with a communal meal?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am resting my foot again because it was mildly sore after my 10 km the other day. So I have made it only to Puente La Reina and had a chance to look around the town. The Albergue Puente is quite new and is very good - 4 beds (2 bunks) in my room, opening onto a nice roof-top deck, kitchen, laundry, and lounge with good wifi. Nearby is a good outdoor bar/restaurant where pilgrims congregate.

I am resting my foot again because it was mildly sore after my 10 km the other day. So I have made it only to Puente La Reina and had a chance to look around the town. The Albergue Puente is quite new and is very good - 4 beds (2 bunks) in my room, opening onto a nice roof-top deck, kitchen, laundry, and lounge with good wifi. Nearby is a good outdoor bar/restaurant where pilgrims congregate.

Albergue Puente has been noted for future reference :)

Another 14km for me too! Quite enough on top of yesterday's 22.2!

So now I have reached ..... Molinaseca any advice? Somewhere simple with a communal meal?
My albergue of choice is Santamarina on the outskirts of the town. Run by Alfredo and his companions. I love it there. Only down side is the walk to the town and the banks of the river!

Day 9 over and I have walked to Los Arcos, another 11km. The weather is pants here in Dublin :( so I have to prepare for my walk each day.
Back to the office tomorrow so I don't expect to walk much more than 10km each day.
Oh by the way, I am staying in the highly recommended http://www.gronze.com/navarra/arcos/albergue-casa-abuela.
Navarra, I have fallen in love with you!:oops:

Have done enough kilometres to get me to Ponferrada today. Did not stay here last time so I will and have a good look around. Will stay in the Parrochial albergue San Nicholas de Flue. I know it's big so there will be plenty of pilgrims to chat to.
May put a bigger day in tomorrow weather permitting? @clearskies I think your pants Irish weather is headed to Blackpool tomorrow? :rolleyes:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have done enough kilometres to get me to Ponferrada today. Did not stay here last time so I will and have a good look around. Will stay in the Parrochial albergue San Nicholas de Flue. I know it's big so there will be plenty of pilgrims to chat to.
May put a bigger day in tomorrow weather permitting? @clearskies I think your pants Irish weather is headed to Blackpool tomorrow? :rolleyes:
Haha! you can keep it :rolleyes:

Haha! you can keep it :rolleyes:

Haha!!! The pants weather has JUST arrived!;)
Giving me the day to walk 16.2km in just under 4 hours! Some cloud, a little sun, very pleasant but again flat!:oops: Need to get me to some hills.
So I have now reached Pieros a lovely little vegetarian albergue. El Serbal y la Luna. Last time my partner and I were the only pilgrims and the hosts cooked us a lovely meal then left us to take care of the albergue whilst they went out dancing! Our own little home from home on the camino :)

So only a short day yesterday Villafranca del Bierzo, anyone stayed here? There's a Parador described as one of the least expensive but it looks so modern and sterile! More geared to being a wedding venue I think? Need somewhere with character but clean, going to be here for 3 days!

In real life this is the weekend i'm off to the beautiful city of Bath to witness my son getting married!!! :D Need to spend time with family though may attempt to drag some of them out for a nice long walk along the river Avon before returning home? Must keep up my camino training somehow! :rolleyes:
Have a great weekend ..... I know I will! :)

So only a short day yesterday Villafranca del Bierzo, anyone stayed here? There's a Parador described as one of the least expensive but it looks so modern and sterile! More geared to being a wedding venue I think? Need somewhere with character but clean, going to be here for 3 days!....
Have a great weekend ..... I know I will! :)

If you are lookung for a small hotel in VdB with lots of character and great food/wine try La Puerta del Perdon opposite the castle as you enter the town on the CF. It is a special stop with a bar/resto is open to all. The owner is a veteran pilgrim and most gracious.

I am in the other Villafranca, Montes de Oca! Got there yesterday in the beautiful sunshine, walking in the partial shade of the tunnel of trees, a peaceful and brisk walk with a few very happy and energetic dogs going past with their owners. A cheeky pint in the usual place on the way home too, and I suddenly saw that the bar tables outside were made from barrels, just like in Spain! Walked less than I would have wanted due to time constraints but did get a good spin with the carbon Pacer poles I am trying out - so far, so very good!

It has been a while since I updated you all on my virtual camino.
It is Day 13 now and have reached Navarrete after walking 40km over 4 days (hardly supe high figures!!)
So I have left Navarra and am in the Rioja region. I love it here. I've stayed here twice before so I'm splashing out a bit and staying here http://www.gronze.com/rioja/navarrete/hostal-villa-navarrete. I'm hoping to reach Azofra by tomorrow. Another favourite of mine.

Back home, the weather is much more favourable and I was hoping that I could wear my altus that @nidarosa very kindly provided me with. Whenever you wish for rain, it does not come...and vice versa! :confused:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@clearskies - I think that's where I stayed last year. I was tired on arrival in town, and was having a drink with some pilgrims at a place overlooking the main street. As soon as I saw the Hostal sign, I decided I couldn't go any further that day! I had planned to stay in hostals once a week or so, and this seemed like the right day. However, that evening I realized that I had become quite comfortable staying in albergues and actually missed "my people." I will still seek the private accommodation from time to time, but it was satisfying to realize that (somewhat to my surprise) I had come to like the albergues.

My virtual camino is moving along, 5 km at a time. One day from Puente La Reina to Maneru, and today Lorca. It is a quaint town and I need to decide whether to stay in Albergue Lorca or in La Bodega del Camino.

I am still walking only short distances until my new orthotics are ready on August 20. That concerns me a bit as it leaves only 7 weeks before my real camino. However, I think it is better to be cautious and untrained but uninjured, than to train foolishly and injure myself again before departure!

When in Lorca - the right hand one! :D It has a world map on the wall in the bar and the owner is (was?) very nice and pilgrim friendly, had a long chat about languages. He made a long table for the pilgrim menu, a great night was had.

Hi everyone I'm back! I am now a Mother-in-Law to the very lovely India, a perfect match for my amazing son Jonny. :D
The camino has its wonders but for me the best feeling in the world comes from seeing your children utterly and blissfully happy! The best wedding I have ever been to! :)

I did manage a fair bit of walking so am now in the German Albergue de la Faba, veggie meal, massage and visit to the Iglesia de San Andres is in order I think.

@C clearly I completely agree with your PF caution, to start the camino uninjured is surely the way to go? You can condition enroute?
I on the other hand have been given some fairly brutal exercises by my sister Jayne - the Physioterrorist!!!:eek: She thinks along with my other shoulder problems it has now become a bit 'frozen' so I need to work to loosen! :oops: I hate to say but even a day doing them has given me extra movement back :) along with not inconsiderate pain! :mad:

@clearskies we are having your great weather here too in Blackpool, thanks for sending it over! :rolleyes:

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back