• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

cost of transporting your pack

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk the Camino in fall of 2015....and it's nearly here. Start my walk from St. Jean PP on August 14th.
I'm starting my Camino on August 14th from SJPdP and plan to carry my backpack. But, I suspect that there will be some days when I may decide to have it taken to my next night. How much does this service generally cost? How do you arrange it? And since I'll be staying in Albergues mostly; how would I know where to tell them to drop my backpack? Will I have to arrange for a pension for those nights?

Also...if anyone out there is starting on the same date I'd love to hear from you. I'm spending the first night at Orisson. Actually spending the night of the 13th at Beilari in SJPdP. I'm 76 but plan to do about 10 miles a day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Martha- on my most recent Camino in October, I believe the cost to transport was 8 Euros. (I am fairly certain this is right, but I never used the service- I liked to read the fliers and dream though! =)

A common company to use is Jacotrans, and you will find their fliers and ones from other companies in almost all albergues. It is an easy service to use- you fill out the form and attach it to your bag (with your payment included) and usually leave the bag in the entryway or a designated spot in the albergue- just make sure to ask the hospitalero.

You will need to know where you will be staying that night in order to put the name on the form so they will know where you drop your bag. This can be good and bad of course- it's nice when your bag is ready and waiting for you, but there is always a chance you may not make it to the specified destination or there will be a mix up (yes, mix ups happen- not too often- and they do get sorted out.)

Hopefully this helped a little bit! You will definitely not be alone in using the service and after your first time doing it you will be a pro ;) Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Thank you so much Megan for the information. 4 euros sounds wonderful! I have several 14 mile days scheduled and thinking about using the transport for my backpack on those days.
Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm starting my Camino on August 14th from SJPdP and plan to carry my backpack. But, I suspect that there will be some days when I may decide to have it taken to my next night. How much does this service generally cost? How do you arrange it? And since I'll be staying in Albergues mostly; how would I know where to tell them to drop my backpack? Will I have to arrange for a pension for those nights?

Also...if anyone out there is starting on the same date I'd love to hear from you. I'm spending the first night at Orisson. Actually spending the night of the 13th at Beilari in SJPdP. I'm 76 but plan to do about 10 miles a day.
Hi Martha, Megan already answers your questions so it leaves me to wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Buen Camino Martha!

I believe the cost to transport was 8 Euros.
4 euros sounds wonderful!
There seems to be a little discrepancy here. I recall paying 8 Euros from SJPP to Roncesvalles last year. I only used the service once, but I thought the prices varied depending perhaps on the length of the stage. In any case, I expect it is 8 Euros at most, and it was very easy to arrange at the albergue the night before.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm starting my Camino on August 14th from SJPdP and plan to carry my backpack.
Hi Martha
I am sure you are going to have a wonderful time and would like to make a suggestion that will help ensure that you do.
SEND YOUR PACK AHEAD FOR THE FIRST THREE DAYS.
These are some of the toughest days you will face.
Apart from that you will be passing thru the most scenic area of the Camino Frances.
Not carrying your pack will enable you to enjoy it to the full as your stamina increases.
Buen Camino
Regards
Gerard

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Hi Martha

I used Jacotrans throughout my Camino this year (April-June). Their cost is €7 per item. There are a few companies now offering the service and all cost the same I think. Then once you get into the last 100km the price drops to €3 - more competition!

As mentioned above, most albergues will have the little envelopes you need to use (your details go on the front, money inside), and you do need to call and book, although depending on the place you're staying they will usually call for you. And you do need to have a destination so usually a booking for the next night (I think this rules out places that don't take bookings) or sometimes a local bar will be a drop off point. I found the service incredibly efficient and reliable. It made it possible for us to walk the Camino - as basic as that. We had no problems or mix ups.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Martha

I used Jacotrans throughout my Camino this year (April-June). Their cost is €7 per item. There are a few companies now offering the service and all cost the same I think. Then once you get into the last 100km the price drops to €3 - more competition!

As mentioned above, most albergues will have the little envelopes you need to use (your details go on the front, money inside), and you do need to call and book, although depending on the place you're staying they will usually call for you. And you do need to have a destination so usually a booking for the next night (I think this rules out places that don't take bookings) or sometimes a local bar will be a drop off point. I found the service incredibly efficient and reliable. It made it possible for us to walk the Camino - as basic as that. We had no problems or mix ups.

I think JohnnieWalker posted a notice that the Spanish postal service (Correos) was going to offer bag transfer on the camino. Has anyone used the service? The price was lower than Jacotrans, I think I remember. Do you know which Caminos they operate on? Thanks, Laurie

Well, I should follow my own advice and do some research before posting a question. Here is the information on the Correos bag transfer, but it's in Spanish so I'll translate the key parts.

http://www.correos.es/ss/Satellite/site/pagina-1363184040050/sidioma=es_ES?idiomaWeb=es_ES

5 euros per stage, unless you sign up for at least 5 etapas, and then the price can be as low as 4 euros per transfer.

Available on Frances from Roncesvalles, Portugues from Tui, Primitivo from Oviedo, Norte from Muros de Nalon, the Ingles from Ferrol and on the Camino to Fisterra. That seems to open up some new possibilities, I don't think I had heard of any options on the Primitivo, Norte, Ingles, or Fisterra.

All the contact info is on the webpage. Now I'd like to see if there are satisfied customers who can recommend this service. Looks like they are trying to give Jacotrans a run for their money. Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The Correos have plastered every albergue and pension and bar along the Primitivo with brochures of the service.
I would assume that they are operating on all of the routes.
I do have a flyer and will try to scan and post it later.

A friend who walked with us found that she could not carry her backpack after the first day. She had it transported by Jacotrans the entire way to Santiago. It was always at our accommodation when we arrived. Most times you can just leave your back pack at the Albergue (check on times!) and it all happens. Occasionally we did have to ring if we stayed at a hotel or off Camino. You can also book online with Jacotrans: http://www.jacotrans.com. The site is in Spanish but not difficult to work through. Cost is €7.70 as Paypal takes its cut.

If we were unsure of our accommodation for the night we specified the first hotel or albergue in town and then had the option of going elsewhere if it was full or we wanted to walk on.

Hi, we used a service evryday. The price varied anywhere from 3-8 euros and seemed less the closer yu got to Santiago. Well worth the price. Less wear and tear on the feet and body. Highly recommended.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have heard that one of these companies has been acting like a bully, telling albergues that if they also gave peregrinos the option to use thei competitors they would no longer deliver mochilas to them. This is big business, a person will pay just about the same for a bed, bathroom and kitchen ( which require an investment of hundreds of thousands of euros) than they will for transport (which only requires a delivery truck and an employee per section of camino). If in doubt, using the Coreos is not a bad idea in my opinion.

I have heard that one of these companies has been acting like a bully, telling albergues that if they also gave peregrinos the option to use thei competitors they would no longer deliver mochilas to them. This is big business, a person will pay just about the same for a bed, bathroom and kitchen ( which require an investment of hundreds of thousands of euros) than they will for transport (which only requires a delivery truck and an employee per section of camino). If in doubt, using the Coreos is not a bad idea in my opinion.
I agree that the Correos option seems like a good idea (but of course they can undercut the private competitors because their marginal cost is so low since they don't need to invest in offices, trucks, personnel, etc), but I personally would wait till I hear from happy peregrinos that the service worked well. Call me a bit skeptical perhaps. Laurie

Lots of different options.
I like Caminofacil and have used them for years.
I pay €6-8 per stage.

Once you reach Sarria, you can get bag transport for as little as €3 per stage.

Never heard of the Correos transferring packs until today.
Personally, I'd rather use a company I know and trust.

If you know where you're going and have a plan, you can get a good deal by paying for the entire Camino up front (at least with Caminofacil)

€83,-
We saw packs being collected while in Betanzos, and the Correos forms in Meson Novo. We had decided to continue with our packs so did not keep the form.
If I remember correctly you can make contact by e-mail or by phone. The only real point we noted was that packs were supposed to be out ready for collection by 7.00am, which caught out some folk in Betanzos.

I've so enjoyed reading all of the responses and learned much about the transporting of backpacks from all of you. I've been walking daily for about 9 weeks (yesterday was 14 miles without backpack) and have started carrying my loaded backpack for the last 7 days. Ten more days and I'll be on the airplane and headed for the Camino. Hopefully you'll continue to post your thoughts for me to read before I leave. Thanks again for all of your sage advice! Buen Camino

I spent a week in France prior to the Camino so had a small suitcase with non -Camino clothes that I forwarded every day by jacotrans - easy to use and accurate.

I've so enjoyed reading all of the responses and learned much about the transporting of backpacks from all of you. I've been walking daily for about 9 weeks (yesterday was 14 miles without backpack) and have started carrying my loaded backpack for the last 7 days. Ten more days and I'll be on the airplane and headed for the Camino. Hopefully you'll continue to post your thoughts for me to read before I leave. Thanks again for all of your sage advice! Buen Camino

Gerard is right Martha, GET the bad transported the first 3 days.
Jacotrans is 8 e first day , 7 the next 2.
Use good accommodation these days as its were the damage is done.
We recently witnessed horrible blisters from pilgrims trying to walk TOOOO far in the heat the first few days. Many had to stop or taxi to Pamplona .
And on arrival in your pension/Casa Rural /Hotel or Hostel ask the owner to organise the transport of bags.
They will give you the envelope, attach to bag immediately , put in the change , coins welcome and relax, they WILL call the company for you.
Next morning leave bag in the foyer and start.
Enjoy Martha and please take your time
Km to mile = 6/10 , therefore 10 miles is 16 km a wonderful days walk.

I used the correos service a few times and it was impeccable - they were very efficient and friendly but they don't pick up or collect from municipal auberges only private ones (I think this is something to do with munis not accepting delivery not the correos so you need to confirm what the alternate pick up or drop off place is when you book)

(Note to moderators: does it count as a commercial post if I reply to this question? If so, feel free to edit/delete).

I think it's important that the forum have the most up to date information on services available to pilgrims, and in some cases the owner of the service is the most obvious person to provide that information, especially with a new business. At the same time, we don't want advertising on the forum (unless you want to buy some ads from Ivar ;)). So I think this initial post will remain for pilgrims to see this new service, but we always ask the owners of the service (or the authors of books, owners of hostals, etc.) to limit their participation to factual responses to specific questions. Many service providers/owners/authors are actually quite valued and helpful members of the forum, and often their expertise extends well beyond the details of their particular business, since they are there in situ and have a good Camino knowledge.

Given the numbers of people using bag transport, it's very likely that any new business will get lots of user feedback, and that is of course perfectly acceptable (and in fact desired!!). Buen camino, Laurie

And p.s. Just wanted to add that I erroneously assumed that since I had never heard of Camino Fácil, it must be a new business. A few searches in the forum showed me that that is not the case, and there are happy customer reports going back several years. More up to date info always welcome!

Last edited:
The price 3 euros starts at least from Portomarin. Didn't use transport before that. When my friend joined the Camino we used the service: put the heaviest items everybody had in one big shopping bag and shared the price. So for 1 to 1,5 euros depending on number of persons sharing we carried not exactly day packs but much lighter backpacks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back