• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternative to walking to O Cebreirio

Elaurel

Time of past OR future Camino
Walikgn the camino frances in Sept oct and hoping to get friends to join for finisterra muxia in october
does anyone know if I could get public transport or any other way to acoid the climb up to O Cebriero? It will be too long a climb for me. Thank you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did it last year in a very cold July rain. The horses are very gentle and walk the same speed as the pilgrims, it was fun but I am not a rider so it was a bit daunting for me riding with an English saddle.

I did it last year in a very cold July rain. The horses are very gentle and walk the same speed as the pilgrims, it was fun but I am not a rider so it was a bit daunting for me riding with an English saddle.
It sounds interesting. I am not a rider either but it could be a way of getting to the top of this climb, otherwise I will be stopping every few metres! Thank you.

Try not to arrive too late.
Even though it's a big alburgue it can quickly be filled to the brim with pilgrims and you would be forced to move on.
Last year, august, it happend to me and i had to walk all the way to fronfria before i got a bed.
It was cold and wet and windy and i was frozen to the bone! (That's not an early morning picture but mid day!)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You might have your 'night before' albergue call a taxi for you. Or you might stop that night at Ruitelan and then follow a combo of the camino with the bike route to ascend. This would be less arduous and is the way I have always walked even in snow.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last year in heavy rain and wind, I took the bus from Villafranca to Pedrafita, small bus which leaves (from memory) at 8.30 a.m. At Pedrafita, everyone rushed into the nearest bar for a hot drink and we (complete strangers) reviewed our options. I shared a taxi to O'Cebreiro with another woman for €10.

This year, in better weather, I walked as far as Ambasestas, stayed the night and then continued on next day to O'Cebreiro where it was still freezing cold but fine! Breaking the walk in two made it very doable to a not super-fit 70-year- old.

does anyone know if I could get public transport or any other way to acoid the climb up to O Cebriero? It will be too long a climb for me. Thank you.

Empresa Monforte (Monbus) provides bus service from Pedrafita do Cebreiro to Sarria via O Cebreiro.
http://www.monbus.es/es

Gonzalez de la Riva provides bus service from Ponferrada to Pedrafita do Cebreiro via Vega de Valcarce and Villafranca. They offer service to Santuario do Cebreiro from Pedrafita do Cebreiro. Click on the white stylized arrow at the bottom of the page.
http://www.gonzalezdelariva.es/

I found the climb to O'Cebreiro much easier than I expected. The part to look out for is the tough climb a few kms on the other side. And I am sorry I cannot remember the name. It is just after the big pilgrim statue on the of the road. And there was a very welcome cafe at the top of the hill. I am not saying the climb to O'Cebreiro is easy, but don't think it is all over when you get there. Just to cheer you up!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I found the climb to O'Cebreiro much easier than I expected.......
That's good to hear. My companions managed it well too. I, on the other hand, shared a taxi with a fellow injured peregrino (arranged by our hospitalera) from Villafranca, and the ascent to Laguna de Castilla, just short of O Cebreiro, as I observed from the comfort of the taxi, seemed interminable.

We were unable to walk up because my mother injured her leg near Trabadelo. We stopped overnight at a casa rural in Vega de Valcarce and in the morning the owner, who also owns the local bakery which opens early for breakfast, called a local taxi for us. He drove us up to O'Cebreiro, helpfully pointing out all the pilgrims we were passing on the way! We also passed a group on horseback, which is another option as has been mentioned.

The walk down from O'Cebreiro is one of the best parts of the Camino, if you can't make the hike up I'd strongly consider the horseback.

You might also consider stopping at Laguna de Castilla for the night. A great albergue and meanwhile you arrive in O'Cebreiro in the morning after the pilgrims have left and before the tourists arrived. It is more impressive (and less Disney) that way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I'm glad to hear from someone who did it.
I've seen the signs and often considered it and since I've climbed that hill more than once, I think I may try this next trip!

We were unable to walk up because my mother injured her leg near Trabadelo. We stopped overnight at a casa rural in Vega de Valcarce and in the morning the owner, who also owns the local bakery which opens early for breakfast, called a local taxi for us. He drove us up to O'Cebreiro, helpfully pointing out all the pilgrims we were passing on the way! We also passed a group on horseback, which is another option as has been mentioned.

Do you remember what the cost was?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. By the time I get to that stage I will have a much better idea of whether to go for it, or now, armed with a few choices, chose an alternative.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I want to say something between 20 and 30 euros plus you have an option to ship your pack ahead for another 5+/- euros.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
does anyone know if I could get public transport or any other way to acoid the climb up to O Cebriero?

I don't know what's your starting point but don't forget you can avoid the climb to O Cebreiro by leaving the Camino Francés in Ponferrada and taking the Camino de Invierno instead. Of course, that would mean to totally change your route from Ponferrada to Santiago de Compostela (i.e.: forget not only about O Cebreiro but also about Sarria, Portomarín, Melide...).

I did it on Horseback in May 2014, cost was 30 Euro. Probably, my best memory on the Camino. I really felt like I was a knight of Charlemagne.

I found the climb to O'Cebreiro much easier than I expected. The part to look out for is the tough climb a few kms on the other side. And I am sorry I cannot remember the name. It is just after the big pilgrim statue on the of the road. And there was a very welcome cafe at the top of the hill. I am not saying the climb to O'Cebreiro is easy, but don't think it is all over when you get there. Just to cheer you up!

I totally agree Carol, O'Cebreiro wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. However, the next hill (Alto do Poio) felt really tough!

@Elaurel - if you decide to walk to O'Cebreiro, you might want to stop there overnight and do Alto do Poio the next day. Neither are unmanageable if you take them at your own pace. But as you say, it's good that you now know about a few alternative options. Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I completed the Camino on May 21, this year. I enjoyed a delightful horse back ride from Herrares to O Cebrierio. With shipping cost for my backpack and horse rental, it was the best 50 euros spent on the trip!

Horseback
You can get a taxi or ride horses! We took the horseback riding option (alpaso.eu)-- our stuff was taken up by taxi. The horses walk up the big hill at a slow easy pace-- We rode up on a sunny day in the Spring, and it was a high light of our trip (one of many!).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Elaurel,
I was terrified of the climb to O'Cebreiro and spent ages trying to find out about buses as I got nearer......But then I just decided to go for it! And it was not as hard as I thought, not bad at all. And the sense of achievement was amazing.
The next time I walked, it snowed in June! Again, O'Cebreiro made me scared, but this time because I couldn't see the path, and couldn't see more than a couple of metres in front of me! But I made it to the top and into the little church to say my thanks, and shed a couple of tears of relief. I then walked the road way to Fonfria. I was freezing and exhausted, but after a rest and superb meal I was dancing with Angela the hospitalera and her latino staff!
Sorry to ramble on, but this is just to say: take it as it comes. You can't really tell what you will feel like or encounter until you are there, and the Camino will test you as well as look after you. It's wonderful.

Empresa Monforte (Monbus) provides bus service from Pedrafita do Cebreiro to Sarria via O Cebreiro.
http://www.monbus.es/es

Gonzalez de la Riva provides bus service from Ponferrada to Pedrafita do Cebreiro via Vega de Valcarce and Villafranca. They offer service to Santuario do Cebreiro from Pedrafita do Cebreiro. Click on the white stylized arrow at the bottom of the page.
http://www.gonzalezdelariva.es/

I'm reading the Gonzalez de la Riva site again and note that their site states the bus goes to Pedrafita do Cebreiro, which is close to the Santuario do Cebreiro. When I read it earlier I thought it translated into going to Santuario do Cebreiro.

Last year in heavy rain and wind, I took the bus from Villafranca to Pedrafita, small bus which leaves (from memory) at 8.30 a.m. At Pedrafita, everyone rushed into the nearest bar for a hot drink and we (complete strangers) reviewed our options. I shared a taxi to O'Cebreiro with another woman for €10.

This year, in better weather, I walked as far as Ambasestas, stayed the night and then continued on next day to O'Cebreiro where it was still freezing cold but fine! Breaking the walk in two made it very doable to a not super-fit 70-year- old.

You can call a taxi in piedrafita, I think we used one called el Rubio, or something like that.

Note there is a town called Pedrafita. Don't get it confused with Pedrafita do Cebreiro.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
La Faba has a fine albergue run by the German confraternity and a nice family café in town. That leaves a nice morning climb (hopefully in fog) to O Cebriero in time for café con leche and a nice downhill.

From Herrerias to O Cebreiro I went by horse. They started little after 9. Well, as somebody had called and made a reservation but didn't show up we were waiting a little more than "little after 9". They had 7 horses. It takes about 2 hours for the horses to get there (walking humans about 4h). Fantastic views, even better from riders position. Horses know the way, just let them walk and enjoy. Not tired at all. 35 euros for horse + 5 to send the backpack to O Cebreiro (but its an option to keep the pack on while riding). Even with the delayed start arrived in O Cebreiro early enough to walk on a few km to the next village.

How did you arrange the horseback riding?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How did you arrange the horseback riding?
I called Victor at 638 041823. He speaks English.

As for the "cons" in the other thread - maybe the malnourished horses were some others, I saw all 7 horses Victor had and they all were ok. They do the walk 2x a day. Horses know the path very well and you just let them choose how to manage it.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back