• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

All places to sleep in one file - Coastal and Central route, Camino Portuguese

cj2003

wewalk.dk
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013 to Finisterra
Camino Portuguese (Monacal) from Lisbon 2016
Hi friends!

this resource contains as many places to sleep along the route as possible - albergues, hotels, pensions and much more in one document, handy to bring with you on the Camino.

(it is a copy of the ressource from https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...stal-and-central-route-camino-portuguese.404/ )

It covers the following Routes of Camino Portuguese
Lisbon-Porto:Follows the interior route from Lisbon via Santarem, Tomar, Coimbra and Mealhada to Porto
Coastal:Follows the coastal (monacal) route from Porto via Vila do Conde, Viana do Castelo, Baiona, Vigo to Redondela and then towards Santiago
Central:Follows the central route from Porto via Barcelos, Ponte de Lima, Tui, O Porriño to Redondela and then towards Santiago
Spiritual:Follows the Variant Espiritual route from just north of Pontevedra via Combaro, A Armenteira, Villanova de Arousa and by boat to Padron and then towards Santiago

I have made it in a GoogleDoc as it is good for teamworking, you are all welcome to comment in it (or send me a mail from it) and I'll happily add or change it based on your input.

Please notice there are several sheets in the GoogleDoc
* "How to filter routes" - an explanation of how you can filter the sheet or excel file for yourself
* "Camino Portuguese" - covers places to sleep on the routes. A huge list!
* "Download PDF and excel versions" - all the downloads you can dream of!
* "Version and info" - gives an overview of the route as well as a little overview of my primary sources and current status of updating!)

Well, without further ado, here it is (as shortform):
bit.ly

Sleeping on the Camino Portugues - Coastal and Central routes
How to filter routes This sheet contains several routes of the Camino Portugues: Lisbon-Porto:,Follows the interior route from Lisbon via Santarem, Tomar, Coimbra and Mealhada to Porto Coastal:,Follows the coastal (monacal) route from Porto via Vila do Conde, Viana do Castelo, Baiona, Vigo to Re...
bit.ly
bit.ly

Besides, I make a .pdf and a .xlsx-document for you to download whenever I've made a few updates, so these documents are as up-to-date as possible (but the GoogleDoc is the master-document). The Excel-document included in this post is the one linked below

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u601w10jvoa0q85/Sleeping on the Camino Portugues - Coastal and Central routes.xlsx?dl=0

Let me know what you think of it - and if you have comments, add-ons, changes or suggestions :)

Update 2019-12-05 Huge update! Central route added and layout changed. More than 120 new accomodation places added
Update 2019-07-27 Links modified again :)
Update 2018-08-05 Links modified, hopefully they now work again
Update 2018-05-08 The number of accomodation places are now 500! It started with about 380 in August 2015 :)
Update 2018-02-12: Another massive update of sites and new link to the all GPS data for the accomodations
Update 2017-10-23: Massive update - places added, deleted, updated and the Dutch Confraternity of Saint James (NGSJ) have converted the list of accomodation into GPS-data, so you can download the places to sleep directly to your phone/GPS-device! Check them out at https://www.santiago.nl/wegnaarbuiten-portugal?goto=Portugal&minzoom=5 (click on =V-PT to see them on the map) or download them from this post :) Links to GPS coordinates for all the places to sleep added!
Update 2017-05-01: Links to excel, GPS data and pdf updated
Update 2016-01-20: I've added a link to the GPS data (.gpx and .kml-files) in the document

Buen camino!
Christian

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi friends!

this is my attempt to make a document with as many places to sleep along the route as possible - albergues, hotels, pensions and much more in one document, handy to bring with you on the camino. So it's a "All places to sleep on the Route Portugues - Route Monacal/Coastal" a bit similar to one I found for the Camino Frances - and I hope to do it with with your help!

It covers the camino I plan to walk next year following Lisbon->Santarem->Coimbra->Porto and the coastal route from Porto->Viana do Costelo->Viladesuso->Redondela and then onwards to Pontevedra->Caldas de Reis->Santiago.

So it will not cover the cities on the Braga->Ponte de Lima->Valenca section of the route.

I have made it in a GoogleDoc as it is good for teamworking, you are all welcome to comment in it (or send me a mail from it) and I'll happily add or change it based on your input - I will only add/change parts for the route I intend to walk, though.

If you have a lot of new entries, I can give you editing rights so you can update directly in the document.

If you have a Google account, you should be able to comment in it - I have only tested with people using a Google account, so I do not know if everyone can comment in it, but you can also send me a mail from it. Besides, I keep scanning this forum for further updates

Please notice there are two sheets in the GoogleDoc - the first one covers places to sleep, the second one gives an overview of the route and some usefull links to places or maps (at least, usefull to me, that is...) as well as a little overview of my primary sources (and current status of updating!)

Well, without further ado, here it is:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15YjQVotp9btlbTUx6YDMgFpHcm3__9msYMJ_nHKOe2E/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know what you think, any places that can be added and if something needs to be changed! Suggestions are more than welcome - let us make this the go-to-document for those using the route :) At the moment of writing this (2015-08-03) it is already the largest single collection of places to sleep available for the route and I'm not finished with entering places from urcamino.com, Brierly and the guides on this forum!

Besides, I make a .pdf and a .xlsx-document for you to download whenever I've made a few updates, so these documents are as up-to-date as possible (but the GoogleDoc is the master-document).

Link to my dropbox with pdf-file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14665185/Sleeping on the Camino Portugues - route Monacal from Porto.pdf

Link to dropbox with excel-file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14665185/Sleeping on the Camino Portugues - route Monacal from Porto.xlsx

Let me know what you think of it - and if you have comments, add-ons, changes or suggestions :)

Buen camino!
Christian
This is so kind--thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
How can I buy you dinner? Your spreadsheet is greatly appreciated. I start my Caminho Portugues during the first week of September. I have noted several places where you have stayed as they coincide with my reservations. Thank you so much for your efforts.

Christian

You may want to add these documents to the camino resources section on this forum

How can I buy you dinner? Your spreadsheet is greatly appreciated. I start my Caminho Portugues during the first week of September. I have noted several places where you have stayed as they coincide with my reservations. Thank you so much for your efforts.

:) Happy to read - you can send me a cheers when you've used one of the accomodations from the list, and I'll be more than happy! Good that someone else can use it!

And I haven't actually been there yet - it's for my March camino - preparing early.

Christian

You may want to add these documents to the camino resources section on this forum

Thanks! I didn't know that I could add stuff there as a common user, but will do!

buen camino
Christian

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you! This will truly allow me to set my own pace.

Thanks so much! I've downloaded it to consult with the itinerary I've prepared for a 20km per day average of walking from Lisbon. We leave Sydney on Sunday and start walking on Wednesday. I hope we'd prepared.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello my friends,

now I have entered hostals, albergues, hotels, pensions, bed&breakfasts, doghouses, camping places......in other words EVERYTHING I could find on this forum, Brierley, old lists and a bunch of blogs into this massive list of accomodation!!!!!

So the list is done and all is left is a bit of housecleaning in it and keepint it up to date - I'll scan this forum and several of the other places, but basically the list is in a state that is "good enough"!!

I've been highly motivated underway by the sweet comments from some of you in the threads here - thanks!

Help me keeping it usefull and let me know if something changes along the route :) And if someone wants to add the central route to the list (the Porto-Barcelos-Ponte de Lima-Tui-Redondela-section) I'll be happy to add another sheet to the GoogleDoc and let someone else build and maintain that part of the route.

/Christian

PS. Ok, I didn't enter all the places in Santiago from Brierley....there's more than 80 places on the list now, so I don't think accomodation there will be a problem even when missing some from Brierley!

Hi Christian
I'm planing doing another Camino next year (I have done the French one last April/May) and your tips for this one are welcome.
Thank you.

Artur Almeida

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey,
I have really appreciated your document so far! I'm currently walking the camino Portuguese right now. I've made it as far as Tomar, and your list has been helpful. A couple additions for you: there is no cost to stay with the Bombadeiros in Golega. Looking ahead, there is no hostel in Cruce Cortica, O Bras is in Alvaiazere. You've also got the Casa Diocesana de Nossa Senhora do Socorro doubled on there as "after the forest" and "Albergaria-a-velha". I'll let you know of anything else I notice if it comes up as I go!
Thanks again

Thanks for the feedback, Tina V :)

Is is excactly what I have been hoping for - it's hard to get it right from my living room, equipped with Google maps and lots of searching and good places on the internet! But feedback is more than appreciated - thanks again! I've updated the sheet with your comments :)

Bom caminho!

Hi and thanks so much for the accommodation list. I am planning the french route for next year but have seriously itchy feet at the moment and as I am in Spain, I am aiming to head to Porto next week to do the portugese route. As this is last minute, I am noticing it is not as high profile as the French way.

Are there any online maps with the route ? even better ideas of stages

Is it well marked

Are there any apps ?

All I can find is google maps that people have uploaded and each one seems different

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Fantastic information. We are going from Lisbon to Santiago and this is so far the only list with kms between towns. I have now downloaded on to my android so I can check daily for accomadation. Do you know the full distance from Porto to Santiago on both routes?

Fantastic information. We are going from Lisbon to Santiago and this is so far the only list with kms between towns. I have now downloaded on to my android so I can check daily for accomadation. Do you know the full distance from Porto to Santiago on both routes?
Both are about 250 kms

Hi and thanks so much for the accommodation list. I am planning the french route for next year but have seriously itchy feet at the moment and as I am in Spain, I am aiming to head to Porto next week to do the portugese route. As this is last minute, I am noticing it is not as high profile as the French way.

Are there any online maps with the route ? even better ideas of stages

Is it well marked

Are there any apps ?

All I can find is google maps that people have uploaded and each one seems different

Hi, Tony,
I always like looking at the gps tracks, because they are layered on top of real photos of the terrain. I have found almost any camino trail you can imagine on wikilocs, here is the Portugues from Lisbon. http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=4046704

Check out the forum guide from Porto, it hasn´t been updated in a few years but I think it's probably pretty accurate still. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/the-camino-portugués-–-oporto-to-santiago.124/

Bom caminho, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Jopoke,
I've linked to the forum's guide from Porto to Santiago on my previous post, but there is also one for Lisbon to Porto, I think it may help you.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/lisbon-to-porto-2015-version.298/

According to several GPS tracks on wikilocs, Lisbon to Santiago is about 600 km.

Hi, Tony,
I always like looking at the gps tracks, because they are layered on top of real photos of the terrain. I have found almost any camino trail you can imagine on wikilocs, here is the Portugues from Lisbon. http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=4046704

Thanks for reminding me of Wikiloc - it is an amazing collection of routes! I've added my own route there ad well now with
http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/spatialArtifacts.do?event=setCurrentSpatialArtifact&id=12251892

In other news, I've incorporated the updated information from Brierley's 7th edition into the sheet as well as all the updates from Vialustiana's Portuguese pages.

So the list of places to sleep is ready for 2016!! And I'll start using it myself in a few weeks :)

Hi, Tony,

Check out the forum guide from Porto, it hasn´t been updated in a few years but I think it's probably pretty accurate still. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/the-camino-portugués-–-oporto-to-santiago.124/

Bom caminho, Laurie

Thanks Laurie for link to Wikiloc, what a great website!

Janice

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi friends!

this is my attempt to make a document with as many places to sleep along the route as possible - albergues, hotels, pensions and much more in one document, handy to bring with you on the camino. So it's a "All places to sleep on the Route Portugues - Route Monacal/Coastal" a bit similar to one I found for the Camino Frances - and I hope to do it with with your help!

It covers the camino I plan to walk next year following Lisbon->Santarem->Coimbra->Porto and the coastal route from Porto->Viana do Costelo->Viladesuso->Redondela and then onwards to Pontevedra->Caldas de Reis->Santiago.

So it will not cover the cities on the Braga->Ponte de Lima->Valenca section of the route.

I have made it in a GoogleDoc as it is good for teamworking, you are all welcome to comment in it (or send me a mail from it) and I'll happily add or change it based on your input - I will only add/change parts for the route I intend to walk, though.

If you have a lot of new entries, I can give you editing rights so you can update directly in the document.

If you have a Google account, you should be able to comment in it - I have only tested with people using a Google account, so I do not know if everyone can comment in it, but you can also send me a mail from it. Besides, I keep scanning this forum for further updates

Please notice there are two sheets in the GoogleDoc - the first one covers places to sleep, the second one gives an overview of the route and some usefull links to places or maps (at least, usefull to me, that is...) as well as a little overview of my primary sources (and current status of updating!)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15YjQVotp9btlbTUx6YDMgFpHcm3__9msYMJ_nHKOe2E/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know what you think, any places that can be added and if something needs to be changed! Suggestions are more than welcome - let us make this the go-to-document for those using the route :) At the moment of writing this (2015-08-03) it is already the largest single collection of places to sleep available for the route and I'm not finished with entering places from Brierly!

Besides, I make a .pdf and a .xlsx-document for you to download whenever I've made a few updates, so these documents are as up-to-date as possible (but the GoogleDoc is the master-document).

Link to my dropbox with pdf-file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14665185/Sleeping on the Camino Portugues - route Monacal from Porto.pdf

Link to dropbox with excel-file: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14665185/Sleeping on the Camino Portugues - route Monacal from Porto.xlsx

Buen camino!
Christian

Wow - you put so much effort into this document! Thanks so much Christian. I totally missed the second page when I first linked to it, lots of other great resources on spreadsheet, and I dig your Wikiloc. I will have to get app, and will see if it can be viewed offline.
I arrive Lisbon 4/26, and slowly piecing together the puzzle. Thanks for sharing.

Buen Camino

Janice

I echo the warm and hearty thanks! You should be on your Camino at this time. I can't wait to read about your updates. This is absolutely fantastic!

Thanks Christian for the collection of data on the Lisboa - Coimbra - Porto - Santiago way, I'm currently planning to go next year and am getting excited just looking at the info. I guess that you are on your way now and I hope that it's going well for you.

Thanks Laurie for including the link to wikiloc, it was the first time for me to see the site - already joined up and downloaded the app! My walking pal and I can use it on our training walks :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi friends!

Let me know what you think, any places that can be added and if something needs to be changed! Suggestions are more than welcome - let us make this the go-to-document for those using the route :) At the moment of writing this (2015-08-03) it is already the largest single collection of places to sleep available for the route and I'm not finished with entering places from Brierly!

Buen camino!
Christian

I seem to be having a problem working out route from Redondelo to Pontevedra. I work it out as 11 kms on yours but 21 kms on google maps? Which one is right?
Regards Jo

I seem to be having a problem working out route from Redondelo to Pontevedra. I work it out as 11 kms on yours but 21 kms on google maps? Which one is right?
Regards Jo
It is 21 km between Redondla and Pontevedra.

Some tips. After coming out of the wood after about 12 km from Pontevedra at the left side is a restaurant , a kind of shabby thing, but you can have a nice meal and nice drinks there. It is a retired couple , the man worked in Germany for many years.

A little bit further on at the right side is a small chapel , called Santa Martha where you can put a stamp on your credential yourself. Just moreless oposite at the left side is a detour of about 5 kms alongside a small beach. A nice off road path. It ends up at the border of Pontevedra close by the albergue the detour is mentioned in Brierley's guide

Bom caminho

Last edited:
Hi friends!

Buen camino!
Christian
I can't seem to access this. Was it removed?

It's still there :)

Dropbox had changed its setup, so the links had been changed without me noticing - good that you wrote and asked!

I've updated the links in the first post so it should be available now - please retry and let me know here?

/Christian

Hi friends!

Link to my dropbox with pdf-file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0t7as1eoitaj043/Sleeping on the Camino Portugues - route Monacal from Porto.pdf?dl=0

Link to dropbox with excel-file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2r2eopyd0igs6g7/Sleeping on the Camino Portugues - route Monacal from Porto.xlsx?dl=0

Buen camino!
Christian

Dear Christian, thank you for the list of 'places to sleep', Camino Portugues, is there an updated version by now perhaps? Thank you so much, Welmoed

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear Christian, thank you for the list of 'places to sleep', Camino Portugues, is there an updated version by now perhaps? Thank you so much, Welmoed

Hi Welmoed :)

It's been updated today! On the 'Version and info"-sheet, you can find the date it was latest updated.

If you look at the 'resources'-post about it, there's also links to gps-cordinates (they are also in the list, on the 'version and info'-sheet) https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...df-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.404/

bom caminho!
Christian

Amazing list. I have sent you an email with my picks from my recent coastal from Porto.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi friends!

Link to my dropbox with pdf-file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0t7as1eoitaj043/Sleeping on the Camino Portugues - route Monacal from Porto.pdf?dl=0

Link to dropbox with excel-file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2r2eopyd0igs6g7/Sleeping on the Camino Portugues - route Monacal from Porto.xlsx?dl=0

Buen camino!
Christian
This is fantastic. Thank you so much. Love the sharing!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you Christian...truly in the spirit of the Camino--sharing what you have with others...many blessings!

Thanks a lot for your friendly feedback! Today the number of accomodation places reached 500!! A massive milestone, thanks to your input along the way. When I first published the list, it had about 380 places, so a lot has happened :)

Hello Christian, your list and idea are amazing and very helpful. Thank you so much.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi friends!

Well, without further ado, here it is: https://goo.gl/Rt2Vz4

Link to my dropbox with pdf-file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dm5w2ct6skkyi2l/Sleeping on the Camino Portugues - route Monacal from Porto.pdf?dl=0

Link to dropbox with excel-file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qk1dowwjvf2xgl3/Sleeping on the Camino Portugues - route Monacal from Porto.xlsx?dl=0

Buen camino!
Christian

Edit 2019-01-30 links updated! did I mention that there's now more than 500 places to sleep?!
Edit 2018-05-08 it's also located in the ressources section of the forum with more description at https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...df-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.404/
Thank you, I will try it next month and let you know how I went. You’ve put a lot of work into this, congratulations.

Hi friends!

Link to my dropbox with pdf-file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dm5w2ct6skkyi2l/Sleeping on the Camino Portugues - route Monacal from Porto.pdf?dl=0

Link to dropbox with excel-file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qk1dowwjvf2xgl3/Sleeping on the Camino Portugues - route Monacal from Porto.xlsx?dl=0

Buen camino!
Christian

Edit 2019-01-30 links updated! did I mention that there's now more than 500 places to sleep?!
Edit 2018-05-08 it's also located in the ressources section of the forum with more description at https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...df-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.404/
thanks so much for all your hard work and effort :) May God bless you more than abundantly :) Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi friends!

Buen camino!
Christian

Thanks a lot for this great work! It helps a lot! We are publishing a free blog post (in our travel blog) with tips and tricks about this route and we will share your document with everyone there.
Thanks once again and Buen Camino!

Thanks a lot for this great work! It helps a lot! We are publishing a free blog post (in our travel blog) with tips and tricks about this route and we will share your document with everyone there.
Thanks once again and Buen Camino!

Thanks! and great to read that it's usefull to pilgrims - what's the link to your travelblog, so I can enjoy the link?

And just a short shoutout to mention that I've updated the sheet with all entries from the Via Lusitana web site at https://www.vialusitana.org/caminho/albergues

It contained 3-4 new places and several phone numbers. So a fresh all-places-in-one-sheet is available, hoping that many pilgrims soon will need something like it :)

Hi! This is a great resource for everyone to use.
But i am old and stupid on the spreadsheet the only bit i need an answer to is this; what do the numbers represent in the distance list you have places where distance in a location changes like this can you help me please its probably an obvious answer to everyone but me! For example at the beginning of the coastal route from Porto it says Matosinhos 12,12,12,12,12,12 then Perefita 2, Angeiras 8, Labruge 1 where are the distances from. thanks Woody66

Thanks! The number represents the approx. distance from the previous city on the list - meaning that there is 12km between Porto and Matosinhos, 2km between Matosinhos and Perefita and so on - hope it helps explaining it!
bom caminho
Christian

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back