• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What's the best day of the week to leave St Jean to avoid the congestion at the start.

Normt

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Sept-Oct 2015. SJDP - Santiago
I'm planning on starting my Camino from St Jean in the first week of September and was wondering what day of the week is likely to have the least traffic so the scamble for beds during the first few days is kept to the minimum. Any thoughts?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Most pilgrims leave on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. That creates a hump in the numbers, though the first three days winnow out a few who slip back a day or two!

I'm planning on starting my Camino from St Jean in the first week of September and was wondering what day of the week is likely to have the least traffic so the scamble for beds during the first few days is kept to the minimum. Any thoughts?
Hi, in the weekends the most pilgrims leave SJPDP. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I left on September 20th and really had no issues finding a bed to mention at any point.
(I did however make a reservation at Orission, and was very glad I did.
Be fearless and keep putting one foot in front of the other......all things will work out.
Buen Camino.
C

Last edited:

Hi Normt if you check out my 2015 SEPTEMBER PILGRIMS thread you can see how many Forum members are starting in the first week of September. Let me know when you decide your date and if you wish I can add you to the list?
Buen camino :)
Sarah

Buen Camino Normt! Maybe you will leave on Monday September 7th, if so I will see you on the way!

The weekend is correct, but I'd also wager that Monday has more than the other weekdays. I'd leave Tuesday through Thursday if this was my biggest concern. Most people leave home at (or near) the end of a work week, so thursday night, friday night, or saturday morning.......most get straight to Santiago....some are slower.....but by Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday you should be at the lowest.

Although more pilgrims leave St Jean in the month of May there is a peak week in September with the highest numbers of pilgrims leaving St Jean, week 36, end of August/beginning of September - - (the numbers on this chart are calendar week numbers)

here are the monthly and weekly charts for those leaving St Jean

monthly.jpg
weekly.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Because of this thread, now weekends will be the least people starting. ;)
This forum affects maybe 4% of peregrinos? It's only for English speakers (so already well under 50% of pilgrims)....minus those who don't research online.....minus those who use other, less popular forums, minus those who follow this forum but don't read this thread, minus those who do read it but it doesn't effect what day they want to leave......., you get my point.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What statistic or number would be used to determine the number leaving St Jean on any given day..
I am not aware of anyone keeping track.
What am I missing?
Not everyone goes to the SJPP Pilgrim Office so that would not be very accurate.

I think the original question was which day of the week is the busiest for leaving SJPP. I couldn't find that addressed in John's 2013 blog entry

My question is what information could be used to generate numbers for people leaving on any given day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

This is what we did Norm just recently in mid July.
We had started in middle France , arrived @ StJean on a saturday around lunch time after 20km and temp 30c.
We walked a side road in shade to Valcarlos [ the original way ] and stayed in this lovely village in a beautiful Casa Rural.
There were many, many pilgrims having dinner that night in the town.
Next morning , being a sunday we walked along the road until the top then headed into the forest in the mist.
The only cars on this deserted road were taxis taking pilgrims or luggage TO and FROM STJ & Ronscavalles
On Sunday mornings the road is deserted.
We skipped Ronscavalles and continued a further 4 km to Burgette.
Accommodation and places to eat were plentiful from Casa Rurals, Pensions to Hostels

We found whilst there that everyone who went over the top saw nothing with the mist .
Keep your options open mate,
D
PS
We have now gone over the top or by Valcarlos on two occasions each ,
dead heat which one we prefer but to avoid the stampede the above is a very good way in beautiful country side.
If anyone tells you the country roads are bad then remind them of the stone paths on water ways on the following day.
I know which ones we enjoy the most.

Good point by Thornley re mist on the Route Napoleon - I experienced some last year but when it lifts - it's heavenly! Weather forecast is a must to check before crossing the mountains - haven't tried the Valcarlos route yet as a little put off by guidebook! I'm starting from StJean on Friday, 4th Sept so may see some of you guys! Buen Camino

Good point by Thornley re mist on the Route Napoleon - I experienced some last year but when it lifts - it's heavenly! Weather forecast is a must to check before crossing the mountains - haven't tried the Valcarlos route yet as a little put off by guidebook! I'm starting from StJean on Friday, 4th Sept so may see some of you guys! Buen Camino
Hi Gerry, I arrive in Madrid/Pamplona/St. Jean on the 3rd and will begin my walk on the 4th. Hope to see you there.

="waveprof, post: 330900, member: 23444"]This forum affects maybe 4% of peregrinos? It's only for English speakers (so already well under 50% of pilgrims)....minus those who don't research online.....minus those who use other, less popular forums, minus those who follow this forum but don't read this thread, minus those who do read it but it doesn't effect what day they want to leave......., you get my point.[/QUOTE]
I start out from STJPDP on August 27, a Thursday, guess this doesn't affect me.. Buen Camino..

Hi Gerry, I arrive in Madrid/Pamplona/St. Jean on the 3rd and will begin my walk on the 4th. Hope to see you there.
Sounds good Donna - look forward to meeting you 'en route'!

Although more pilgrims leave St Jean in the month of May there is a peak week in September with the highest numbers of pilgrims leaving St Jean, week 36, end of August/beginning of September - - (the numbers on this chart are calendar week numbers)

here are the monthly and weekly charts for those leaving St Jean

Gosh - these numbers are surprising for me - I had heard that up to 150 pilgrims a day can leave SJPP but the chart for September indicates that there will be over 2000 in week 36 - over 300 a day and probably concentrated at the week-ends ....

I'm starting from SJPP on Saturday 29th & am hesitating over the Frances or del Norte caminos .... I don't like all the roads on the del Norte but it sounds like the start of the Frances in week 36 could be as crowded as the last 100km leading to Santiago ...

Any opinions ?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Norm, my advice is to leave mid-week, and then play it by ear.
If you get into a "wave" of pilgrims, hang back a bit.
Stay BETWEEN Brierley's stages instead of sticking to the guidebook.

What statistic or number would be used to determine the number leaving St Jean on any given day..
I am not aware of anyone keeping track.
What am I missing?
Not everyone goes to the SJPP Pilgrim Office so that would not be very accurate.

You could consider that the number of people who do not go to the Pilgrim office as a roughly equal percentage per day.

Say for example that 5% of pilgrims don't go to the pilgrim office. You could then add 5% to the weekly statistics ... and end up with roughly the same information about which weeks are the busiest. The graph provided by David would look the same.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back