• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bags-necessary?

Gerry 7

Time of past OR future Camino
September "2015" Camino Frances, St. Jean to Santiago
Hi everyone,
We are seting out on our Camino on Sept. 1st. We had intended not to take a sleeping bag with us to try to lighten the load and as we had heard that many albergues provide blankets. However, have just been in contact with the Collegiate albergue in Roncesvalles and they do not provide blankets. If this is just a one off-I could -A) keep warm by jogging on the spot as I sleep (multi tasking) or B) just sleep in the silk liner we are taking with clothes on or C) take my onesy. (Be aware -only one of these suggestions is serious) . Do we really need to take a sleeping bag? I look to the experienced among you for pearls of wisdom.
Thanks

Gerry

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello
Hi everyone,
We are seting out on our Camino on Sept. 1st. We had intended not to take a sleeping bag with us to try to lighten the load and as we had heard that many albergues provide blankets. However, have just been in contact with the Collegiate albergue in Roncesvalles and they do not provide blankets. If this is just a one off-I could -A) keep warm by jogging on the spot as I sleep (multi tasking) or B) just sleep in the silk liner we are taking with clothes on or C) take my onesy. (Be aware -only one of these suggestions is serious) . Do we really need to take a sleeping bag? I look to the experienced among you for pearls of wisdom.
Thanks

Gerry
Gerry, I have the same question about the need for a sleeping bag on September 19th when I expect to be at the Collegiate Albergue in Roncesvalles. I prefer to just take the sleeping bag liner. I have emailed them about making a reservation for 3 pilgrims....they have asked for a wire transfer of 36 euros or a credit card payment in advance. I am also questioning if reserving is really necessary ....can we not just show up? What did you do?

Hi Gerry, a search on this topic will take you to loads of conflicting advice, firmly held opinion and occasionally vigorous argument. The resolution lies with you. Do you feel the cold? Do you normally sleep under a 50 tog duvet or naked in the woods? Are you more likely to suffer from sleeping poorly as you shiver through the night or from hacking an extra 450g of nylon & down up the everlasting hills of the Camino?

Silk liner, all your clothes and the body heat of 100 other pilgrims will get you through one night or two (go for a top bunk its warmer up there). Me, I take the bag and have never regretted it - ever.

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Gerry, a search on this topic will take you to loads of conflicting advice, firmly held opinion and occasionally vigorous argument.
Tincatinker, you are so right on this. The forum sometimes reminds me of the famous Monthy Python argument sketch.. However, my firmly held vigrous advice would be : take a sleeping bag !

Hi Gerry, a search on this topic will take you to loads of conflicting advice, firmly held opinion and occasionally vigorous argument. The resolution lies with you. Do you feel the cold? Do you normally sleep under a 50 tog duvet or naked in the woods? Are you more likely to suffer from sleeping poorly as you shiver through the night or from hacking an extra 450g of nylon & down up the everlasting hills of the Camino?

Silk liner, all your clothes and the body heat of 100 other pilgrims will get you through one night or two (go for a top bunk its warmer up there). Me, I take the bag and have never regretted it - ever.

Buen Camino
Thanks Tincatinker.
That is really what I expected to hear, to be honest. We are quite experienced hillwalkers, and the extra weight really is not the big issue. I is just that I do tend to take things that, in the end, I never use. I would be an unhappy bunny if I had carried the bag for 800k and never used it once when I could have used that weight allowance for a few extra of my favourite Scooby Snacks.
Thanks again

Gerry

I am also questioning if reserving is really necessary ....can we not just show up? What did you do?
KLynn. The issue of whether or not to make reservations may influence how you are going to walk your Camino. You may make a reservation for Roncesvalles, but are you then going to make reservations for the rest of your Camino ? I am not giving any advice here, just a consideration, and I can only say that I have made a point of not making any reservations ever and trust that I will find a place to sleep. It has always worked out for me which has added to the enjoyment of my camino's as it stopped me from worrying and planning too much. (to be clear, I did not have that mindset before I started walking camino;s).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello

Gerry, I have the same question about the need for a sleeping bag on September 19th when I expect to be at the Collegiate Albergue in Roncesvalles. I prefer to just take the sleeping bag liner. I have emailed them about making a reservation for 3 pilgrims....they have asked for a wire transfer of 36 euros or a credit card payment in advance. I am also questioning if reserving is really necessary ....can we not just show up? What did you do?
Hi Klynn,
I did as you have done and contacted them about making a reservation and got the same reply. Not sure about this as all the info I have read quote the price as 10 euros per night and not 12. Bearing in mind that the Albergue is really quite large and has an overspill facility we have decided not to book ahead and put our trust in the big fella. At the moment-leaning towards the liner and sone thermal base layers. Lighter than the bag I should imagine. Thanks for the reply.
Buen Camino

Gerry

KLynn. The issue of whether or not to make reservations may influence how you are going to walk your Camino. You may make a reservation for Roncesvalles, but are you then going to make reservations for the rest of your Camino ? I am not giving any advice here, just a consideration, and I can only say that I have made a point of not making any reservations ever and trust that I will find a place to sleep. It has always worked out for me which has added to the enjoyment of my camino's as it stopped me from worrying and planning too much. (to be clear, I did not have that mindset before I started walking camino;s).[/QUOT
Thanks for your comments on this. I like the idea of not worrying or planning too much. I did book at Orisson though... knowing I would not likely enjoy a 27 k walk from SJPDP to Roncesvalles in one day...knowing that it is not flat walk and I am not into much suffering. :). I will take a pass on any further advance bookings in advance. Whew! Thanks!

Hi Klynn,
I did as you have done and contacted them about making a reservation and got the same reply. Not sure about this as all the info I have read quote the price as 10 euros per night and not 12. Bearing in mind that the Albergue is really quite large and has an overspill facility we have decided not to book ahead and put our trust in the big fella. At the moment-leaning towards the liner and sone thermal base layers. Lighter than the bag I should imagine. Thanks for the reply.
Buen Camino

Gerry
Hi Gerry, Yes, I have decided to not book ahead considering the the size of the facility and expecting that they will have capacity on Sept 19th. I am still debating the sleeping bag vs. liner with fleece sweater. I do enjoy cool more than warm..so I expect to be OK with the liner and some layers. It will be very interesting to see what I finally do put in my 32 L backpack. Lynn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Gerry,
I walked May 2014 with a sleeping bag liner. It was a very cold May and I had a few uncomfortable nights. I also do not like the feeling of being constricted with the liner (shroud like). When I return this Sept I will have a very light sleeping bag. I prefer my own stuff against me and the bag is not as confining as the liner. It weights 680 grams and has good compression straps so it packs small. Having said that, most albergues we stayed at last year had blankets, some free and some for a few euro.
Buen Camino

This year, I decided to forsake our trusty sleeping bags, used over the last 7 years and, as we were walking in June, I bought two cheap fleece blankets at the local Chinese store, sewed Velcro tape along the bottom and about 25 cms up the side. This saved us each more than 600grams, it took up less space in our packs and, because of the Velcro, it could be opened to use as a blanket, should the dorm be too hot. It worked perfectly and, personally, I think that in the future, I would go for this solution!

Gerry,
I walked May 2014 with a sleeping bag liner. It was a very cold May and I had a few uncomfortable nights. I also do not like the feeling of being constricted with the liner (shroud like). When I return this Sept I will have a very light sleeping bag. I prefer my own stuff against me and the bag is not as confining as the liner. It weights 680 grams and has good compression straps so it packs small. Having said that, most albergues we stayed at last year had blankets, some free and some for a few euro.
Buen Camino
Hi Diane,
Thanks for your reply. The sleeping bags we use have to cover a variety of situations. We use them for camping in the Scottish mountains, and while not the thickest or most extreme still tip the scales at 980g and I feel that if I can avoid buying a lighter bag only to use on the Camino, then I will. As I mentioned to another blogger, we are used to the weight, but if I don't really need to take them then we might chance our luck with the liner only. Have a great time in September.

Buen Camino
Gerry

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This year, I decided to forsake our trusty sleeping bags, used over the last 7 years and, as we were walking in June, I bought two cheap fleece blankets at the local Chinese store, sewed Velcro tape along the bottom and about 25 cms up the side. This saved us each more than 600grams, it took up less space in our packs and, because of the Velcro, it could be opened to use as a blanket, should the dorm be too hot. It worked perfectly and, personally, I think that in the future, I would go for this solution!
Hi Anna,
Thanks for the reply. A friend has suggested this solution to us recently and that is something we might consider.
Regards

Gerry

Hi Anna,
Thanks for the reply. A friend has suggested this solution to us recently and that is something we might consider.
Regards

Gerry
Your big difference is that you are walking towards the Autumn and as you progress, the weather becomes colder ( and not hotter, as was our case). Roncevalles, for me, has always been " chilly".
I should also point out that our sleeping bags were bought in the local supermarket for the equivalent of $20 each and still have life in them. No super deluxe model for us! We simply wanted to try another solution that weighed less. It worked fine and would have done in much colder circumstances.

Take a look at the rally blanckets with pouch -item 121368, on 4imprint.com.

These are supet thin and really warm, they are similar to what you used to get on airlines. As they are made for when you are sitting they are a bit too short for bedtime, so I cut a second one and sewed it to the fist.

I used this is combination with a coolmax liner on my first 3 caminos, in May and September. After camino 3 in May of 2013 I decided that ne er again would I walk without a real sleeping bag unless in July.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Your big difference is that you are walking towards the Autumn and as you progress, the weather becomes colder ( and not hotter, as was our case). Roncevalles, for me, has always been " chilly".
I should also point out that our sleeping bags were bought in the local supermarket for the equivalent of $20 each and still have life in them. No super deluxe model for us! We simply wanted to try another solution that weighed less. It worked fine and would have done in much colder circumstances.
Anna,
Thanks for the comments. Only this morning we were in an outdoor shop in our local main town, and there reduced to a virtual pittance were two very basic 1-2 season sleeping bags which were a reasonable weight. SOOO! we bought them and having said that we would probably use only liner and some extra clothes -we will probably take these bags now. They cost so little that if they only last one camino then that is fine.realluy looking forward to going and counting the sleeps now!
Regards

Gerry

Take a look at the rally blanckets with pouch -item 121368, on 4imprint.com.

These are supet thin and really warm, they are similar to what you used to get on airlines. As they are made for when you are sitting they are a bit too short for bedtime, so I cut a second one and sewed it to the fist.

I used this is combination with a coolmax liner on my first 3 caminos, in May and September. After camino 3 in May of 2013 I decided that ne er again would I walk without a real sleeping bag unless in July.
Anemone,
Thanks for the advice-but we have just bought some basic reasonably light 1-2 season bags locally. They are lighter than our mountain bags and pack down smaller too so I think we will go with them.
Thanks for relpying.
Regards

Gerry

Anemone,
Thanks for the advice-but we have just bought some basic reasonably light 1-2 season bags locally. They are lighter than our mountain bags and pack down smaller too so I think we will go with them.
Thanks for relpying.
Regards

Gerry

Sounds perfect to me! I walk in July/August and still take a light sleeping bag. In 2012 there was a heatwave but in the mountains (esp. near Rabanal) and later walking on to Finisterre I did need that sleeping bag, it was soooo cold.
Enjoy your camino :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi everyone,
Thanks

Gerry

No sleeping bag required in September

Tincatinker, you are so right on this. The forum sometimes reminds me of the famous Monthy Python argument sketch.. However, my firmly held vigrous advice would be : take a sleeping bag !
You are absolutely right. Take a sleeping bag. I have had a thin sleeping bag and then a very thin bag and walked with just silk liner and this time I have a thicker sleeping bag. Don´t rely on blankets. Sometimes they don´t have and some of them are in a terrible shape.

I had a bag, used even when t was over 30*C. But I really liked your idea about a footsie onesie. Unlike sleeping bag you could wear it on the trail too. Especially if it comes with nice bunny ears.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've walked twice in September/October (2001 and 2003) and both times carried a silk liner and a sleeping bag fleece liner.
Most of the time I slept in the silk bag with the fleece on top but froze in Navarette in 2001 and in Santo Domingo de Cazalda 2003.
If I did it again at that time of year I'd go silk liner and maybe a fleece blanket but could be tempted by the Summit Motion Sac Insulated Sleeping Bag ;o)

Hey, Thornley, I think I would edit that post to say "No sleeping bag required FOR ME in September." I have no doubt that's true, but it is equally true that "Sleeping bag definitely required FOR ME in September." As others have pointed out, it is so dependent on your internal thermometer. I just read an interesting article that suggests that some of this is gender-related:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/04/s...0150804&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=15809037&_r=1

Buen camino, and a comfortable sleeping experience to all! Laurie

Hey, Thornley, I think I would edit that post to say "No sleeping bag required FOR ME in September." I have no doubt that's true, but it is equally true that "Sleeping bag definitely required FOR ME in September." As others have pointed out, it is so dependent on your internal thermometer. I just read an interesting article that suggests that some of this is gender-related:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/04/s...0150804&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=15809037&_r=1

Buen camino, and a comfortable sleeping experience to all! Laurie

You are correct Laurie as i find a liner and blanket enough after a few vino's
We have just been" toasted" in June and July in both France and Spain.
Eventually woke up that some hotels have air conditioning.
Keep well mate,
D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I think that would depend very much on the person in question: My husband can pick up a draft at 30 metres and two pairs of wool socks. I, on the other hand, at a temperature I find perfectly acceptable would have icicles hanging from his ear lobes.

I've walked Spring, Summer, and Fall.
I would not go in any season without a lightweight sleeping bag.

That said, my walking partner takes a lightweight fleece blanket and does fine.
And I know plenty of people who walk with just a liner.

It's really a personal choice.
Do you sleep warm or hot?

MOST (but not all) albergues will give you a blanket.
Unfortunately, one of the coldest to me, Roncesvalles, does NOT give out blankets.
However, I've slept there covered up by my ALTUS poncho (which makes a GREAT warm blanket) and I slept fine.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.