• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What is the one Albergue that you would say not to miss

I agree...they were so welcoming. I arrived there drenched having walked from Muxia in the pouring rain and they first got me dried, and warmed up and settled before getting down to the admin. A very special and homely place.

Easily the best place I stayed at between StJPdeP and Muxia. Wonderful ladies. They fed me, got up earlier than usual to give me breakfast, dried me and my clothes out. And the mum gave me a big hug and a kiss when I left (unfortunately not the daughter also, but I'll forgive her as she wasn't around at that early hour). I had earlier booked into the Albergue Al Casa Del Fonte, up behind the municipal. It was dreadful so I walked out. So what could have been the very worst experience of my walk turned out among the very best.

The albergue at Logoso was another wonderful one where they treated me like family.

Most of the others were pretty good, but there weren't too many people around. Santo Espiritu at Carrion de Los Condes was a little offputting for me, however. The dormitory was a bit grubby around the edges, and someone tried to rob me during the night.

De colores

Bogong

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On my second Camino I stayed at Puente de Orbigo the next day I only made a 2klm walk as I arrived in Villres de Orbigo on the Sunday of the yearly Harvest festival and stayed what aday, and I stayed at the Alburgue Villares it was the best on this trip just stay you will not be dissappointed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think I have posted on this thread before but hey! I might as well go again.
The ones that struck a chord for me were En El Camino in Boadilla (I think most people feel the same), Cuatro Cantones in Belorado and the parochial albergue in Bercianos.

In my experience, it is the hospitalero (and, sometimes, the always unpredictable company) that makes for a great experience at a given albergue. I have quite disparate, almost contradictory memories about some places that I visited in different years. So, about the "best albergue" issue, I have become a kind of agnostic (but not entirely fatalistic) person.

Last edited:
The facilities are excellent. Note, however, that the couple that managed it has apparently recently left.:mad:
That is sad to hear as they had only taken it over last year, I think her name was Christina and her husband was still a policeman in Belgium, she made everyone feel important.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We were told not to miss Granon...and wouldn't you know it, the day we arrived it was closed. So we went to another one and it was also fantastic! Apart from the fleas, it was one of the most memorable evenings we had. Very often these things just happen.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am looking for those special Albergues that you past travelers would say could not be missed. Was there a memorable meal, experience, host, that you would say, "Go out of your way to make this happen." ?

Thanks! We, my daughter and I, leave the end of May for our first trip and are so looking forward to it all.
Linda and Emily
The Albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbigo is unique in its decor, laid back ambience and wonderful communal vegetarian meals.

Like some posters already said here : a good albergue is not only a matter of lodging only but also of the people ( hospitaleros and voluntarios ) working there. And the lovely people in the villages of course.
Here follows my very subjective list.
Pamplona : Casa Paderborn run by the german confraternity of St.James : a very warm welcome with fruit juice and a cookie. Warm and disciplined at the same time. Spotlessly clean and lights only on at 6.30 accompanied with nice music. Next to the river and the nautical school. Very peaceful.Sieglinde and Dieter had a nice word for everyone, good advice and a motherly cuddle from Sieglinde.

Zubiri : Zaldiko, private one. Clean but cramped habitaciones and the owner was correct but nothing more.

Obanos : I heard that some people find the owner distant but I liked his style : gentle and correct. Lots of room, minimal but clean sanitary accomodation and a nice little private library. Thanks also to Inaki and his mum for the lovely dinner at their bar.

Villatuerta : closed at that time so headed to Estella.
Estella : albergue parroquial! Lovely volunteers and nice vibe in the albergue, communal meal. Small but again spotless sanitary installation. Observation : lots of people still think that donativo means free!!! Sad to see how some people ( and yes those with money !!! ) don't give ANYTHING!!!

Villamayor de Monjardin : the private one from Oasis Trails. Ok accomodation but the volunteers were a bit too pushy for my liking : trying to convince you to attend their prayings. Again, a very personal review.

Torres del Rio : new private one called Casa Mariela. Disastrous meeting with a very very drunken mexican who was drinking himself into a coma. The young employee dealt with it in a very swift way!! Thank you!!!

Ventosa : private one. I read that some people found the hospitaleros very strict but I liked them. Bit like my favourite teacher : strict but honest! Very clean and warm atmoshpere too. People came in late and already owner put extra matrasses on the floor so he drove the latecomers with his car to the next village.

Azofra : municipal with the double rooms. Nice facilities and a great kitchen!

Redecilla del Camino : municipal with donativo for albergue and dinner ( made by lady of village ). Really nice feeling, gentle lady and again everything spotlessly clean.
Bar/bakery/shop was outstanding!

Tosantos : parroquial : LOVELY!!! Gentle, kind and warm. So different from the one at Oasis trails. Minimum but clean facilities but the gentleness and warmth made up for this.
Again people : donativo does NOT mean for free!!!

San Juan de Ortega : aaaaaarrrgh! the worst : humid and cold. The hospitalero at the moment was really unfriendly and uncaring. Sanitary facilities ??? disgusting.

Burgos : the municipal. What can I say? We cried from contentment after that night before. Friendly and swift welcome. Maybe a bit big and anonymous but I didn't mind.

Hornillas del Camino : municipal. Again very humid and an uncaring hospitalero. Owner of only bar is also mayor and owner of albergue. Grumpy chap!

Castrojeriz : private one Casa Nostra. Lovely gentle owner, wooden floors, very clean bathrooms, nice little library. One of my favourites!

Fromista : municipal. Just ok, not bad not very good. Clean but lots of noise with people coming in late.

Carrion de los Condes : Espiritu Santo : individual beds in superclean surroundings. Everything a little antique but well kept! Very nice. Also thnaks to the people at the local centro de salud for attending to my small medical issue!

Calzadilla de la Cueza : hmm average clean but the hospitelera at that time Judith was so gentle and nice!

Sahagun : municipal Cluny. Clean but that dark wood everywhere was a bit depressing. Also my quarrel with an elderly german ( till today I do not have a clue why he started yelling to me ) didn't make it a happy stay.

Mansilla de las Mulas : the lovely municipal with the nicest hospitalera ever. Warm and funny, very attentive ( she is a hell of a good nurse ). Loved it!!!!

Leon : private at the Benedictenesses : cramped rooms, with all that human warmth we did not need a sleeping bag. BUT, lovely nice volunteers who were so helpful and gentle and funny. Thank you!!! And again the story about the donativo...SIGH...

Villadangos de Paramo : municipal, also one to forget... I had my doubts about the mattrasses. Hospitalera was not interested. Cold surroundings.

Rabanal del Camino : Gaucelmo : perfect. Teamoment, disposable sheets. Pat, hospitalera and a wonderful and lovely lady.

Molinaseca : new one the Santa Marina : very spacious and clean but missed " soul ". An anonymous feeling. Also the atmosphere changed here : more and more people " rushing " and more people coming with car , parked it around corner and came in with a legitimate credencial!!!!

Cacabelos : municipal with the double rooms around the church. Loved it!! Clean facilities and I shared the room with someone I knew.

O' Cebreiro : Xunta one : big but clean and perfectly run, nice hospitalera too. Again a lot of partygoers and loud people.

Vega De Valcarce: left the municipal because of horrible state of beds and checked into pension. Say no more...

Tricastela : Aitzenea : very nice hospitalera, spotlessly clean rooms with wooden floors, fully equipped kitchen, disposable sheets, cosy living room. Free internet.

Sarria : los Blasones : Tita the owner is really friendly, keeps it all very clean, good kitchen. Again less respect towards end of Camino between people.

Portomarin : Ultreia : brand new, obviously private but the owners have a big heart, always there and clean up between every shower! Again lots of people who made reservations and came in with neat suitcases and a hairblower!! Nevertheless : liked it. Good kitchen facilities too.

Ribadiso de Baixa : Xunta next to river. Clean and spacious but the wooden doors made a hell of noise during the night. So called closing time is a laugh because people kept coming in after twelve!

35 days Camino Frances and I treated myself to 6 hostals or pensions during that time. First I thought that I was cheating but now I know that I needed this privacy from time to time.

Pamplona: Casa Paderborn run by the German confraternity of St. James - everyone to their opinion – I had a bad experience there in Sept 2013 – yes the initial welcome was good by the elder volunteer – but the younger one started shouting at me when I made enquires about washing my ‘smalls ‘ – I eventually paid for the small wash plus drying – the wash was done but not the drying

If you are going to be staying in Estella from May 15-31 stop at the Albergue San Miguel. My wife and I will be Hospitaleros and we hope to provide a memorable experience including a dinner and breakfast. Dayton and Karen, Canada
I know I'm starting on May 27th, so I have no Idea how long it is going to take me to be there. but it is nice to here.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I know I'm starting on May 27th, so I have no Idea how long it is going to take me to be there. but it is nice to here.
Yolanda - I will be departing SJDP on May 29th - I had initiated this post/query when I did the Camino the first time with my daughter. This time I'll be on my own. Maybe we will see one another on the way.

Yolanda - I will be departing SJDP on May 29th - I had initiated this post/query when I did the Camino the first time with my daughter. This time I'll be on my own. Maybe we will see one another on the way.
I will hope to see you too.:)

I am looking for those special Albergues that you past travelers would say could not be missed. Was there a memorable meal, experience, host, that you would say, "Go out of your way to make this happen." ?

Thanks! We, my daughter and I, leave the end of May for our first trip and are so looking forward to it all.
Linda and Emily

My son, 14 years old, and I just got back from our Camino. We started in Leon, as we only had 18 days, and reached Santiago de Compostella in plenty of time with 3 days to spare. (But not enough time to walk to Finisterrre and back!)--

We loved the muni albergue in Astorga with it's sunny terrace, great kitchen, and kind hosts.

Also! Stay in the albergue in Ruitelan! There is a communal dinner and breakfast, and the host plays morning music to wake everyone. The music was beautiful and stayed with me for the day and then the next. (I've tried to recreate it here at home to wake up my teenage boys.)

Ponferrada donativeo-- great hostel, that's a bit off the path, but has a great kitchen and wonderful hosts and feel to it!

The Albergue Mentor Seminario in Santiago de Compostella is private, and an easy 5 min walk to the cathedral. (There is a park and a great food market between the albergue and the cathedral.) We picnicked in the park. There is a also a great kitchen there, with a small shop on premises for coffee and food supplies. It's 10 eu/night with a locker for stuff, 13 for your own room. Hot showers and washer and dryer! I had planned on staying there for one night, and then switching to a hotel (as a treat), but decided to stay for three nights before we took the night train back to Madrid. (Easy 15 minute walk to the train station.) Very helpful hosts.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is shortly after Leon? I think I remember that the Way splits shortly after Leon - one way goes to Villadangos del Paramo, and the other to Vllar de Mazarife. Do you know if Valverde de la Virgen is before or after the split? If it's after, which way to go? I don't want to miss it!

Thanks,
Nancy[/QUOTE]

It's right before the split.

My son, 14 years old, and I just got back from our Camino. We started in Leon, as we only had 18 days, and reached Santiago de Compostella in plenty of time with 3 days to spare. (But not enough time to walk to Finisterrre and back!)--

We loved the muni albergue in Astorga with it's sunny terrace, great kitchen, and kind hosts.

Also! Stay in the albergue in Ruitelan! There is a communal dinner and breakfast, and the host plays morning music to wake everyone. The music was beautiful and stayed with me for the day and then the next. (I've tried to recreate it here at home to wake up my teenage boys.)

Ponferrada donativeo-- great hostel, that's a bit off the path, but has a great kitchen and wonderful hosts and feel to it!

The Albergue Mentor Seminario in Santiago de Compostella is private, and an easy 5 min walk to the cathedral. (There is a park and a great food market between the albergue and the cathedral.) We picnicked in the park. There is a also a great kitchen there, with a small shop on premises for coffee and food supplies. It's 10 eu/night with a locker for stuff, 13 for your own room. Hot showers and washer and dryer! I had planned on staying there for one night, and then switching to a hotel (as a treat), but decided to stay for three nights before we took the night train back to Madrid. (Easy 15 minute walk to the train station.) Very helpful hosts.
Thank you! that helps:)

I'm back today at the Rural ASTRAR in St Irene (20km to SdC). This is my second time and I will come back. They have a kitchen, washer/dryer, super clean rooms. If you want to eat out, they will take you to a local restaurant. Breakfast is onsite. Although 700 m off the Camino you depart in the opposite direction and join the Camino with no loss or gain in distance. You can book ahead. Family run and you feel like you are family. If you mention my name...they will charge you double.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A couple of nights ago I stayed at the new albergue in Larasoaña - Albergue San Nicolas. It was wonderful! €10 for the night in rooms of no more than 6 people, the most delicious dinner and breakfast (€10 and €3.50 respectively), and perfect bathrooms. I had such a wonderful stay there and highly recommend it.

Linda and Emily
Just 2 km from Caccabelos is a gem of an Albergue called serbal y la luna -it's on the way -a warm welcome ,great vegetarian food,good dorms and beds -a lovely atmosphere-don't miss it. X

Linda and Emily
Serbal y la luna-in Pierros -just 2 km out of cacabellos (Leon) it's vegetarian ,warm friendly clean and very homely-there's a large quiet room for yoga or meditation .plenty of hot water ,delicious generous food -don't miss it ! Enjoy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So sorry-just

Linda and Emily
so sorry -just realised I d replied befor!

Linda and Emily
I agree with Granon - delightful albergue in the loft of the parish church. .
Villa de Mazarife: Stay at San Antonio Padua - great vegetarian dinner.
Hospital de Orbigo: Stay at Albergue Verde. Dinner is a group meal - also vegetarian. The owner's name is Mincho. I loved this place. If you go there tell Mincho that Nancy from Oregon sends a hug.
Villafranca del Bierzo: Absolutely stay at Albergue Leo. It opened in 2014. Run by a great family. Lovely old home converted into an albergue. If you call ahead for a reservation and ask for the bed by the front window. 987542658 or 658049244
Rabinal del Camino: Stay at Albergue Gaucelmo. Afternoon tea and I was lucky enough to be in on the paella (cooked by a local) dinner with them.
Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In preparation for my Camino later this year I have extracted 377 entries from this thread (and a few similar ones) into a single spreadsheet file (xls), sorted by place and albergue. In this arrangement it becomes readily apparent what are the universal favourites (and is certainly more efficient than making notes from these web pages). The zipped file is available below.

[Updated ver 4 of this file includes corrections mentioned below.]

Enjoy!

Buen Camino!

Attachments

• Camino-albergues-not-to-miss-ver-04.zip
    44.6 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
StephenL, this attachment really looks great. But please, can you attach the file either unzipped or with a shorter file name?
My windows OS will not let me unzip it because the file name's too long, and won't let me rename the file unless I unzip it.
Catch 22. Technology is great until it isn't.:confused:

StephenL, this attachment really looks great. But please, can you attach the file either unzipped or with a shorter file name?
My windows OS will not let me unzip it because the file name's too long, and won't let me rename the file unless I unzip it.
Catch 22. Technology is great until it isn't.:confused:
I also can't open it :confused:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've just renamed the files (much shorter) and re-uploaded them to my original message. Let me know if you have any problems opening them.

Last edited:
Fantastic Stephen...I like (and 'liked') it very much. As you say,some of the most beloved ones do stand out.
(BTW, please double check for accuracy. Checking for my own favorites, I noticed that there's a mix-up with the entries for Carrion--3 (entries 64-6) are indicated as Santa Clara when the OP meant Santa Maria. And San Anton and San Nicholas are also mixed up (edit: line 76). :D If there are other mistakes no doubt you will hear! :D:eek:
That notwithstanding...thank you.
And for those albergue-virgins scrolling through this list...many have said it, but it bears repeating...albergue impressions are SO subjective. Some go for pilgrim atmosphere, others prefer comfort, and much depends on the hospitaleros. We may argue endlessly, but everyone will find their own personal gems!

Last edited:
Thanks Viranani. Yes, I readily admit that I made a "best guess" for maybe 30 entries and will have made some blunders. As you will realize, I'm a newbie preparing for my first Camino, so if you come across other mistakes please send them to me and I will happily update the public file.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Linda and Emily
There are many really lovely albergues and Csas Rurals to stay. One I stayed in 2 days ago that I would like to recommend is Casa Campo, & kms beyond Triacastello. La Señora and her son were so lovely and accommodating, very generous too. It was a cold day and she lit a fire in the sitting/dining room especially for me and cooked dinner for me and the other guests. A traditional farm house with big rooms and polished wooden floors. She also has a small cafe/bar just beside the house. Henrietta

In preparation for my Camino later this year I have extracted 377 entries from this thread (and a few similar ones) into a single spreadsheet file (xls), sorted by place and albergue....
This is great, @StephenL, many thanks for your hard work. Whilst hearing @Viranani's words of wisdom, it is still a great additonal piece of information. Have a great Camino later this year.
Suzanne :)

Re: What is the one Albergue that you would say is not to be mis

Not to be missed: the detour to Eunate.
That little church breaths a very special atmosphere.
and if you like: the albergue to stay the night in it's proximity

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.
But check opening times...we went only to be disappointed when it was all locked up

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Trinidad de Arre-I can't believe no one has mentioned this slice of paradise. A beautiful courtyard- the birds sang, the church was open, the water was hot- what more can a pilgrim wish for?
I hear that Tosantos, Granon and Ermita San Nicolas are very nice but missed them due to one thing or another.
The municipal in Burgos depends on what floor you’re on- you either get four beds to a shower, or fifty beds to a shower. Someone else recommended San Saturnino in Ventosa- we were turned away at noon and told that if we wanted a bed then we should have started walking at 3 am.
Someone said that Roncesvalles has blankets for those who don’t have a sleeping bag- I had a silk sleeping sack, begged for blankets on a cold night and nearly froze to death. Lesson learned, I bought a sleeping bag.
Liberamos Domine in Rabe las Calzadas- communal meal cooked by the hospitalera and not shy with passing out the wine- best Tortilla on the Camino, with roasted capsicum… my mouth is watering…
There is also a nice one, I think they are Canons of St Augustine, in Carrion de los Condes (not Santa Clara, which was nice as well- single beds!).
Reliegos- I had hurt my leg and could barely move, much less go upstairs to the dormitory, so the hospitalero put down not one but two mattresses for me to sleep on. He then gave me two pillows for my head- and a pile of blankets to elevate my foot. He also gave my friends permission to eat downstairs to keep me company.
When I got to Santiago I sprung for a hotel room- In Tras de Santa Clara, near the cathedral and shops including a hairdresser who managed for a very reasonable price to make me look like a woman rather than a manky pilgrim.. E17, single room with its own dressing table- shelf, chair, table, heater and 100% control of the window. Unlimited hot water. Blankets. Am I raving? I feel like I’m raving.
The Camino sure makes you appreciate things! Now when I go to do hard things I think, ‘Can I do this? Yes! I walked over the Pyrenees! I can do anything!’
Corina.
Trinidad De Arre also one of my favourites and if you are really lucky you will have the priveledge of having the church organ played especially for you....but maybe you have to turn up looking like drowned rats as we were....whilst we were here our every need was being anticipated ....you cannot be disappointed.

The only Albergue not to miss is the one you are passing when your feet and legs won't carry you any further.....or if you are really organised the Albergue before that happens.....if you try to plan your route / stages based on recommended stops.....you will be years in the planning and years in the walking.....All albergues provide what you need...they become special because of the people, the experience, a spontaneous moment of crazy fun with a group of strangers and what you put into the time spent there.....Buen camino

But check opening times...we went only to be disappointed when it was all locked up
Eunate hours:

ENERO (a partir del día 9) – FEBRERO
Mañana: 10:30 h.- 13:30 h.
Tarde (sólo fin de semana y festivos): 16:00 h. – 18:00 h.

MARZO – OCTUBRE
Días laborables: 14:00 h. – 19:00 h.
Fin de semana y festivos: 10:30 h. – 13:30 h. / 16:00 h. – 19:00 h.

NOVIEMBRE – 8 DICIEMBRE
Días laborables: 10:30 h. – 13:30 h.
Fin de semana y festivos: 10:30 h. – 13:30 h. / 16:00 h. – 18:00 h.

9 DICIEMBRE – 9 ENERO : CERRADO
LUNES CERRADO

The albergue is permanently closed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Eunate hours:

ENERO (a partir del día 9) – FEBRERO
Mañana: 10:30 h.- 13:30 h.
Tarde (sólo fin de semana y festivos): 16:00 h. – 18:00 h.

MARZO – OCTUBRE
Días laborables: 14:00 h. – 19:00 h.
Fin de semana y festivos: 10:30 h. – 13:30 h. / 16:00 h. – 19:00 h.

NOVIEMBRE – 8 DICIEMBRE
Días laborables: 10:30 h. – 13:30 h.
Fin de semana y festivos: 10:30 h. – 13:30 h. / 16:00 h. – 18:00 h.

9 DICIEMBRE – 9 ENERO : CERRADO
LUNES CERRADO

The albergue is permanently closed.
Had plenty of time to walk down in the afternoon but stupidly put it off until morning.....oh well next time.

Thanks so much, Steven. You have gone to a lot of work to create this spreadsheet. It is turning out to be invaluable in planning our first Camino in the fall.

€149,-
Tricia,
Just outside Santiago there are 500 beds available for pilgrims at Monte do Gozo. Furthermore this pilgrim accommodation is free! Buses run into the center city or you can walk packless within 45 minutes.

Good luck and Congrats re your arrival!

MM

EDIT: This albergue presently charges 6 euros per night.

Last edited:
Furthermore this pilgrim accommodation is free!
@mspath, the link which you offered says that the price of accommodation at Monte de Gozo is six euros, which I believe is currently the standard price at Xunta albergues. I am not sure why you say that it is free. I know that there are 500 places, but might it not be filled on July 25? Just a question, I really have no idea, but the camino seems to be very busy this year.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@mspath, the link which you offered says that the price of accommodation at Monte de Gozo is six euros, which I believe is currently the standard price at Xunta albergues. I am not sure why you say that it is free. I know that there are 500 places, but might it not be filled on July 25? Just a question, I really have no idea, but the camino seems to be very busy this year.
Years past albergue space for pilgrims at Monte do Gozo was always free for at least the first night. Sorry that I cited erroneous info. My first post has now been corrected

Last edited:
Also while in Santiago there is a private albergue, El Ultimo Sello (The Last Stamp) you don't need reservations for, but can make them if you wish. When I stayed there it was 18 euros a night. Here is their website www.thelaststamp.es
It is about 200 meters from the cathedral. Very convenient. Monte do Gozo is about 5 kilometers from Santiago. You actually pass by it on the way into Santiago. Not really the best place to stay in after you have already reached Santiago. Can't really see walking back and forth from there back into town.

Imwould not like to be in your shoes arriving on the busiest day of the year. My guess is that places that take reservations will be booked. Your best better may be arriving early in am albergue that does not allow reservations.

Little hotels I have like are Fonte de San Roque and the Girasol, only 100 meters fro each other and a 3 minute walk to the cathedral. San Martin Pinario will most likely be fully booked but worth a try.

I think that early arrival in Monte de Gozo may be your best bet.

Good luck.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Imwould not like to be in your shoes arriving on the busiest day of the year. My guess is that places that take reservations will be booked. Your best better may be arriving early in am albergue that does not allow reservations.

Little hotels I have like are Fonte de San Roque and the Girasol, only 100 meters fro each other and a 3 minute walk to the cathedral. San Martin Pinario will most likely be fully booked but worth a try.

I think that early arrival in Monte de Gozo may be your best bet.

Good luck.
ill be getting to Santiago this week on July 25. Are their municipals? Places that don't take reservations. I'm concerned I wount have a place to stay when I get there
Seminario Menor is a huge albergue 100+, a 10-20 min short walk from the Cathedral. It has some private rooms-a former seminary. it is in the guide books. 12 euro. no booking allowed. I stayed there.

Stayed here a few years ago. If I remember correctly the doors close at midnight, also it is possible to stay a second night.
you are right, but they have a ccctv system on the door and they let me in much later one night---i got lost in SDC

€60,-
Also while in Santiago there is a private albergue, El Ultimo Sello (The Last Stamp) you don't need reservations for, but can make them if you wish. When I stayed there it was 18 euros a night. Here is their website www.thelaststamp.es
It is about 200 meters from the cathedral. Very convenient. Monte do Gozo is about 5 kilometers from Santiago. You actually pass by it on the way into Santiago. Not really the best place to stay in after you have already reached Santiago. Can't really see walking back and forth from there back into town.

I stayed at The Last Stamp in 10/2013, and it was nice and not far from the Cathedal.

If looking for accomodation and not finding any then there are many fairly cheap pensiones. We have stayed at Hostal/Pension Linares on Rúa Algalia de Abaixo and recently at the more expensive Rosa Rosae (further out of town past the Plaza de Galicia). Both very pilgrim friendly and bookable if needed. Not what you want maybe, but a suggestion in case of need.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Stayed here a few years ago. If I remember correctly the doors close at midnight, also it is possible to stay a second night.

You can book this in advance through the Booking web site, and stay for as long as you like.

€149,-
I stayed at The Last Stamp in 10/2013, and it was nice and not far from the Cathedal.
Also stayed there in May. Close to the Cathedral which is good. Cathedral bells chime every 15 minutes all night long which is not so good :)

If you want to spend a little more: the Hotel San Clemente (~ 60 €) is very good and near the cathedral.

ill be getting to Santiago this week on July 25. Are their municipals? Places that don't take reservations. I'm concerned I wount have a place to stay when I get there
Hey Tricia, hope you got home ok. Seems strange being out for a walk and not passing you...

Hello my camino friend! Made it to muxio and Finesterria by bus....but did a heck of a lot of walking in each village! Gorgeous...the ocean agrees with me! also met an Italian gal and we scooted to the island Cies! When you coming to the states to visit?

Well done you! Possibly in the states in November - Taos, but if not will be next year.
Happy trails

Santo Domingo de la Calzada, brand new in 2009 and it was festival when we arrived. The place is beautiful and very central to the old part of the city. Thanks for asking the question because I a going to save this list for my next Camino Frances in 2012.

Bev
Bev
What wS the name of it

Dan,

The post which you cite was made prior to 2012; Bev may no longer be an active poster. However the Santo Domingo albergue to which she refers probably is that of the Cofradia del Santo which was renovated in 2009. Here is their current web.

Buen camino!

MM

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi everyone,
We are on the camino at the moment and if you are about to start then you should definitely consider the following albergues. In larrasoana the albergue St. Nicolas is a must. It is new and run by Luiz who is a great guy. The place is spotless and the food very good. Sanbol is also great. Remote, spotless and the communal meal was superb. Lourdes and Sandra were the hospitalleras, both great fun and really welcoming. If you stop in mansilla then try the albergue gaia. New and run by Maria Fernández it just a wonderful place to stay. No meals but a fabulous kitchen to use. We are at villavante at present in the albergue St.Lucia, also new and spotless. Another good place to stay.
Buen camino
Gerry

Hi everyone,
We are on the camino at the moment and if you are about to start then you should definitely consider the following albergues. In larrasoana the albergue St. Nicolas is a must. It is new and run by Luiz who is a great guy. The place is spotless and the food very good. Sanbol is also great. Remote, spotless and the communal meal was superb. Lourdes and Sandra were the hospitalleras, both great fun and really welcoming. If you stop in mansilla then try the albergue gaia. New and run by Maria Fernández it just a wonderful place to stay. No meals but a fabulous kitchen to use. We are at villavante at present in the albergue St.Lucia, also new and spotless. Another good place to stay.
Buen camino
Gerry

Larrasoana muni had hundreds of negative reviews in the recent past. stayed there myself.....I bypassed the village a few times this year......very pleased to hear its all changed there with new albergue

will have a look next time

sanbol was great for us only stayed there once ..before the upgrades.. no electricity then great communal meal also

€149,-
Villamayor de Monjardin and stayed at a 15th century house run by a Dutch Church…Hogar Monjardin. We had no trouble with them being pushy about praying with them. Don't forget to tour the Castle. The key is at the Bar in the square. Just ask for it.

Terradillos de Templarios Jacques de Molay albergue modern and clean, with rooms named after individual Knights Templar

Buen Camino

Like some posters already said here : a good albergue is not only a matter of lodging only but also of the people ( hospitaleros and voluntarios ) working there. And the lovely people in the villages of course.
Pamplona : Casa Paderborn run by the german confraternity of St.James : a very warm welcome with fruit juice and a cookie. Warm and disciplined at the same time. Spotlessly clean and lights only on at 6.30 accompanied with nice music. Next to the river and the nautical school. Very peaceful.Sieglinde and Dieter had a nice word for everyone, good advice and a motherly cuddle from Sieglinde.

Zubiri : Zaldiko, private one. Clean but cramped habitaciones and the owner was correct but nothing more.

Obanos : I heard that some people find the owner distant but I liked his style : gentle and correct. Lots of room, minimal but clean sanitary accomodation and a nice little private library. Thanks also to Inaki and his mum for the lovely dinner at their bar.

Estella : albergue parroquial! Lovely volunteers and nice vibe in the albergue, communal meal. Small but again spotless sanitary installation. Observation : lots of people still think that donativo means free!!! Sad to see how some people ( and yes those with money !!! ) don't give ANYTHING!!!

Pamplona : Casa Paderborn – stayed here in Sept 2013 – had a bad experience – a mix up with my laundry resulted in an aggression rude response from the hospitalero present .

Villamayor de Monjardin : the private one from Oasis Trails. Ok accomodation but the volunteers were a bit too pushy for my liking : trying to convince you to attend their prayings. Again, a very personal review.

Torres del Rio : new private one called Casa Mariela. Disastrous meeting with a very very drunken mexican who was drinking himself into a coma. The young employee dealt with it in a very swift way!! Thank you!!!

Ventosa : private one. I read that some people found the hospitaleros very strict but I liked them. Bit like my favourite teacher : strict but honest! Very clean and warm atmoshpere too. People came in late and already owner put extra matrasses on the floor so he drove the latecomers with his car to the next village.

Redecilla del Camino : municipal with donativo for albergue and dinner ( made by lady of village ). Really nice feeling, gentle lady and again everything spotlessly clean.

Tosantos : parroquial : LOVELY!!! Gentle, kind and warm. So different from the one at Oasis trails. Minimum but clean facilities but the gentleness and warmth made up for this.

San Juan de Ortega : aaaaaarrrgh! the worst : humid and cold. The hospitalero at the moment was really unfriendly and uncaring. Sanitary facilities ??? disgusting.

Burgos : the municipal. What can I say? We cried from contentment after that night before. Friendly and swift welcome. Maybe a bit big and anonymous but I didn't mind.

Hornillas del Camino : municipal. Again very humid and an uncaring hospitalero. Owner of only bar is also mayor and owner of albergue. Grumpy chap!

Castrojeriz : private one Casa Nostra. Lovely gentle owner, wooden floors, very clean bathrooms, nice little library. One of my favourites!

Fromista : municipal. Just ok, not bad not very good. Clean but lots of noise with people coming in late.

Carrion de los Condes : Espiritu Santo : individual beds in superclean surroundings. Everything a little antique but well kept! Very nice. Also thnaks to the people at the local centro de salud for attending to my small medical issue!

Calzadilla de la Cueza : hmm average clean but the hospitelera at that time Judith was so gentle and nice!

Sahagun : municipal Cluny. Clean but that dark wood everywhere was a bit depressing. Also my quarrel with an elderly german ( till today I do not have a clue why he started yelling to me ) didn't make it a happy stay.

Mansilla de las Mulas : the lovely municipal with the nicest hospitalera ever. Warm and funny, very attentive ( she is a hell of a good nurse ). Loved it!!!!

Leon : private at the Benedictenesses : cramped rooms, with all that human warmth we did not need a sleeping bag. BUT, lovely nice volunteers who were so helpful and gentle and funny. Thank you!!! And again the story about the donativo...SIGH...

Villadangos de Paramo : municipal, also one to forget... I had my doubts about the mattrasses. Hospitalera was not interested. Cold surroundings.

Rabanal del Camino : Gaucelmo : perfect. Teamoment, disposable sheets. Pat, hospitalera and a wonderful and lovely lady.

Molinaseca : new one the Santa Marina : very spacious and clean but missed " soul ". An anonymous feeling. Also the atmosphere changed here : more and more people " rushing " and more people coming with car , parked it around corner and came in with a legitimate credencial!!!!

Cacabelos : municipal with the double rooms around the church. Loved it!! Clean facilities and I shared the room with someone I knew.

O' Cebreiro : Xunta one : big but clean and perfectly run, nice hospitalera too. Again a lot of partygoers and loud people.

Vega De Valcarce: left the municipal because of horrible state of beds and checked into pension. Say no more...

Tricastela : Aitzenea : very nice hospitalera, spotlessly clean rooms with wooden floors, fully equipped kitchen, disposable sheets, cosy living room. Free internet.

Sarria : los Blasones : Tita the owner is really friendly, keeps it all very clean, good kitchen. Again less respect towards end of Camino between people.

Portomarin : Ultreia : brand new, obviously private but the owners have a big heart, always there and clean up between every shower! Again lots of people who made reservations and came in with neat suitcases and a hairblower!! Nevertheless : liked it. Good kitchen facilities too.

Ribadiso de Baixa : Xunta next to river. Clean and spacious but the wooden doors made a hell of noise during the night. So called closing time is a laugh because people kept coming in after twelve!

35 days Camino Frances and I treated myself to 6 hostals or pensions during that time. First I thought that I was cheating but now I know that I needed this privacy from time to time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I arrived in Gonzar utterly exhausted, cold and wet. Casa Garcia is a 2 minute walk from the Camino. Nice courtyard with a bar, a great roaring fireplace and good beds. The dinner was 10 E and the menu included a thick (2 inches) steak. Bed was 10 E also.

Re: What is the one Albergue that you would say is not to be mis

Not to be missed: the detour to Eunate.
That little church breaths a very special atmosphere.
and if you like: the albergue to stay the night in it's proximity

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.
Unfortunately, this albergue is closed. The church is worth the detour, but check the opening hours beforehand.

Unfortunately, this albergue is closed. The church is worth the detour, but check the opening hours beforehand.
Unfortunatelly indeed. The post was posted on March 24th 2011 and I had an opportunity to visit that magnificent church both in 2009 and 2011. Never stayed at albergue though. But would recommend visiting the church itself very much!

Ultreia!

€149,-
Hi. I loved the family run Alberge Verde in Hospital de Orbigo. The welcome is warm, the vegetarian food delicious (meat eaters won't de disappointed) and the playing of spanish guitars very fitting for where we are. They also offer massage and yoga sessions to soothe aching limbs and feet. Did I mention that the beds are comfortable and the facilities very good. You have to walk a bit away for the centre (10 - 15 minutes) but I found it worth it. You pay for the bed and the rest is by donation.

I prefer parochial then small private ones run by a family/couple who live there, then...pensions or hotels. Municipal ones get too out of hand for my taste (too familiar pilgrims/drunk trying to pull me out of bed in Comillas, underwear stolen in Astorga, guy who kept adjusting himself with his belt at face level while I sat on my cot...)

Smaller groups, communal meals--more my style. Bonus if no smoking allowed in garden. That said, it also depends on the other pilgrims and the hospiteleros. Some of my favorites: San Miguel (Estella), Ziortza monastery (and a cold wet night communicating with pantomime with the only other pilgrim ), domus dei (foncebadon). But i suppose with different pilgrims or hospitaleros it could be a completely different story. I liked pablo and Belen's place (albergue villares de orbigo) and Alex's place on the Primitivo but I read ownership has changed. So I'd be uncertain if I can say a place as definitely as a type--for me it is peaceful, clean, and no outrageous drunk behavior...so small parochial or private.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would like to add albergue Leo (Villafranca) to this topic. It was opened in (I thought) 2015 and it is runned by a family who turned their family house into an albergue. Lovely people! There is no pilgrim's meal, but you can smell the mother cooking for her family and she likes to give you a bit to taste. We also tasted different kinds of grapes in the morning because we had to wait for breakfast, the lady also gave explanation about the grapes and she gave us (7 am!) a little bit very famous wine to taste. After that, I was not allowed to leave the albergue before she gave me a note with on that 'how to but this special wine cheaper', haha. An amazing experience, mostly because of the people running the place. Also very nice house, clean, not too big rooms and price is 10 e, breakfast 2,5 e.

I've been going through this thread, looking forward to our Camino Frances this coming May. Granon comes up a lot as a favorite, but most posts don't say which Granon Alburgue they like. The list I have includes 3 alburgues: Casa de La Sonrisa, Parochial, and Alb Nuestra Señora de Carrasquedo. Which of these is the Alburgue everyone loves (or are they all good)?

I guess the one everyone loves since many years is the parochial one in the church, but like in a lot of cases it depends a lot of the hospitaleros and pilgrims you share it with that particular day/night. Carrasquedo is actually ~2km before the village and not directly on the main Camino. I like Casa de las Sonrisas very much, but others might have other opinions. Buen Camino, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I guess the one everyone loves since many years is the parochial one in the church, but like in a lot of cases it depends a lot of the hospitaleros and pilgrims you share it with that particular day/night. Carrasquedo is actually ~2km before the village and not directly on the main Camino. I like Casa de las Sonrisas very much, but others might have other opinions. Buen Camino, SY
Thanks.

I have to say that one of my favourite Albergues was Albergue Maralotx in Cirauqui. It is about 7 Km past Puente la Reina. The town of Cirauqui is at the top of a large hill and the Albergue is across from the church in the square.

I have included some photos taken from the entrance of the Albergue showing the church and buildings along side.

It is in an old stone house. The ancient wine cellar is now the dining area for the wonderful pilgrims meal. The rooms slept 8 and the facilities were exceptionally clean.

It is a climb to the very top of the town

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    263.5 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 36
Santa Clara - Carrion de los Condes
CSJ Gaucelmo - Rabanal

But I hope by the time you have got as far as these you will be making your days fit your body rather than your table top plans.
yes those two are fabulous most people in Carrion head to the Albergue but don't miss Santa Clar if only not to be in a bunk bed I also loved Barbedello the Albergue with a swimming pool and a great bar ...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Albergue Fuente del Peregrino in Ligonde
We stopped there on their very first day they opened with young American students running it. We stayed and rested then moved on to Palas de Rei for the night as the were already full with a large Kiwi family virtually filling it up When we woke up the next day something made us walk back to it and spend their second night there. It was something about it that drew us to it. Maybe we felt we were rushing our camino or we were losing focus but it gave us some spirituality to the whole journey. I'm not sure why but it did. I'm glad it is still going.

I was in Ligonde in 2006 and 2007, it was a wonderful place and was great to stay there. Before Ligonde we stayed in Portomarin, would skip Portomarin and head straight to Ligonde next time

Top Albergue.

Albergue Fuente del Peregrino in Ligonde
We stopped there on their very first day they opened with young American students running it. We stayed and rested then moved on to Palas de Rei for the night as the were already full with a large Kiwi family virtually filling it up When we woke up the next day something made us walk back to it and spend their second night there. It was something about it that drew us to it. Maybe we felt we were rushing our camino or we were losing focus but it gave us some spirituality to the whole journey. I'm not sure why but it did. I'm glad it is still going.

Linda and Emily

Two albergues stand out: Virgen de Guadalupe in Cirueña. It was a hot, cloudless day, and was way too exhausted to walk the additional 5 Km to Santo Domingo de la Calzada. Good meal and friendly hospitalero. Hosp. La Perla Negra in Azqueta. Too tired to make it to Villamayor de Monjardín. Very excellent meal, and found out the roof leaks during a torrential downpour. By accident, left behind my comfortable walking sandals, but did not realize they were gone until next day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've just renamed the files (much shorter) and re-uploaded them to my original message. Let me know if you have any problems opening them.
Yes but it still is unreadable via an iPad, unless you a special knack that I have missed!

Larrasoana muni had hundreds of negative reviews in the recent past. stayed there myself.....I bypassed the village a few times this year......very pleased to hear its all changed there with new albergue
I stayed here three nights ago. The overflow were put the place across the street from the main office so no wifi. If I had read Brierley in more detail I would stayed at San Nicolas! So basically the muni was ok for the price!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do everything in your power to NOT stay at Espinosa del Camino albergue. The host failed to mention, when I called to make reservations, that he didn't accept pilgrims who weren't carrying their backpacks. In the end, he 'let' us stay. (But wait, there's more...) While a friend and I waited for the rest of our group to catch up, another couple was turned away for not having backpacks, even though the woman was clearly limping. After taking our credentials, said host allowed us to use the restroom and sit inside. He offered us coffee which we accepted. We were quite uncomfortable being around this man but decided to wait for the others and decide if we should stay or go. The consensus was: GO! The host would not return our credentials until we each paid him 6 euro for the 'privilege' of sitting on a chair and for drinking coffee. Though we were tired, hot, and hungry, we forged on 4.5 miles. We later learned that the baggage deliverers would not go to the albergue as they had been treated extremely rudely in the past. If you've seen "The Way," we decided that was our El Ramon experience.

Buen Camino!

Do everything in your power to NOT stay at Espinosa del Camino albergue.
A sad experience for you, perhaps, but surely not a reason for such a strong recommendation. Especially when sources like Gronze make it clear that the hospitalero takes a strong stand against 'turigrinos', a little research would have found that this is one of several albergues with similar views about not accepting people walking without a pack.

I found my stay there a wonderful experience a few years ago, and would have stayed there again last year if I hadn't stayed at Villambistia the previous night. I would certainly continue to recommend it as a place to stay, although clearly those who want to have their packs transported will need to accept they will need to find other accommodation if they choose to stay in Espinosa.

As an aside, this thread was started (some years ago) with a strong theme about sharing information about places where forum members had positive experiences - a theme clearly stated in the title of the thread. It would be a real shame if an off-topic post like @Jeannie's Journeys' one above distracts members from sharing information about places where they have had positive experiences.

Nearly 100,000 people have now viewed this thread. Let's hope they don't all turn up at the favourite albergues at once.

€149,-
A sad experience for you, perhaps, but surely not a reason for such a strong recommendation. Especially when sources like Gronze make it clear that the hospitalero takes a strong stand against 'turigrinos', a little research would have found that this is one of several albergues with similar views about not accepting people walking without a pack.

I found my stay there a wonderful experience a few years ago, and would have stayed there again last year if I hadn't stayed at Villambistia the previous night. I would certainly continue to recommend it as a place to stay, although clearly those who want to have their packs transported will need to accept they will need to find other accommodation if they choose to stay in Espinosa.

As an aside, this thread was started (some years ago) with a strong theme about sharing information about places where forum members had positive experiences - a theme clearly stated in the title of the thread. It would be a real shame if an off-topic post like @Jeannie's Journeys' one above distracts members from sharing information about places where they have had positive experiences.
Could not disagree more with your first paragraph.I have hiked 2 Caminos, contributed photos and posts and have done much research, but this is the first time that I have ever heard of an Albergue not accepting pack transports. The hospitalero sounds like a jerk. B-T-W, I have carried my pack most days but did use Jacotrans a day or two. Buen Camino.

Could not disagree more with your first paragraph.I have hiked 2 Caminos, contributed photos and posts and have done much research, but this is the first time that I have ever heard of an Albergue not accepting pack transports. The hospitalero sounds like a jerk. B-T-W, I have carried my pack most days but did use Jacotrans a day or two. Buen Camino.
@KentuckyJay , what post are you responding to?

And yes, some albergues refuse to give a ned to people who do not carry their own backpacks. Gaucelmo comes to mind.

@Anemone del Camino, I still find the sequence confusing.
@KentuckyJay , what post are you responding to?
Was responding to dougfitz entry made in response to a posting by Jenny's Journey.
That bit is at least clear, but I find it unusual that someone would object to me expressing sympathy to another member about what was clearly an unhappy experience. Here is @KentuckyJay's expressed view about my post:

Could not disagree more with your first paragraph.
which started with this expression of sympathy:
A sad experience for you, ...
Which all goes to suggest that he thinks @Jeannie's Journeys did not have an unpleasant experience. I don't get it.

I know that I would have liked to keep this thread on its original positive theme, and still wish to do so. However, perhaps it has run its useful life, and done as much good as it as possible to do. My only plea is that if members want to raise issues with specific albergues, they don't do it here.

Again I find this resource unreal, but having search problems on the iPad with big fingers. So! Leaving Burgos tomorrow, planning short day as I get back on the Camino and planning to stop at either Tradajos or Rabe de las Calzadas. Which town/village has a "recommended" Albergue? Thanks in anticipation!

Again I find this resource unreal, but having search problems on the iPad with big fingers. So! Leaving Burgos tomorrow, planning short day as I get back on the Camino and planning to stop at either Tradajos or Rabe de las Calzadas. Which town/village has a "recommended" Albergue? Thanks in anticipation!

Mike,

For more on Tardajos see this earlier forum thread --
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/flour-mill-albergue-in-tardajos.30508/

For Rabe see this
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/rabe-and-boadilla-update-anyone.38985/

Carpe diem!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank MM. I knew I could count on you. Will do the "carpe diem" business tomorrow. Today is a rest afternoon in Burgos with rain forecast. Cheers
(PS have you tried the champagne?)

Linda and Emily
Hi!!
My daughter and I are presently on the Camino Frances! My favourite albergue so far has been La Fabrica in Tardajos. Around 300 metres off the main path, but well worth it. Very clean, excellent dinner, accomadated my gluten free diet.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Anemone del Camino, I still find the sequence confusing.

That bit is at least clear, but I find it unusual that someone would object to me expressing sympathy to another member about what was clearly an unhappy experience. Here is @KentuckyJay's expressed view about my post:

which started with this expression of sympathy:

Which all goes to suggest that he thinks @Jeannie's Journeys did not have an unpleasant experience. I don't get it.

I know that I would have liked to keep this thread on its original positive theme, and still wish to do so. However, perhaps it has run its useful life, and done as much good as it as possible to do. My only plea is that if members want to raise issues with specific albergues, they don't do it here.
I agree that I was not clear. I was actually responding to the section in the first line-"but surely not a reason for such a strong recommendation." She obviously felt strongly and responded accordingly.

Last edited:
Susaia in zubiri most incredible meal (possibly ever) by lovely modest host. She will also cater for any special food needs( gluten free vegetarian etc)/Rooms lovely too and was greated with fresh made lemonade. And 2nd choice magica ( sitting beside their little pool as I write) beautiful they also have a vegetarian gluten free dinner ( paella tonight)

Albergue de las Hermanas Flipenses, Carrión de los Condes, not the cheapest place you'll stay but the rooms are very clean, the Sisters are awesome and dinner was very good. Say hello to Sisters Carmen and Edith!

I stayed there in a private room in May 2015. It was a lovely place to stay!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back