• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

CdS de Madrid in June.

Conner Roberts

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago de Madrid(2015)
Hey Everyone. (I've been reading many posts on this forum and I've gotta say this is quite the community.)

I'm setting off on my first Camino in the beginning of June (not sure of the day just yet) from Madrid. As of now I'm planning on completing the Camino de Madrid then connecting up with the CF for the remainder (since it is my first Camino I figured I should get both the solitary and the hectic).

Here are my stages: (are these alright? they are subject to change - much of this is from another thread)
1: Tres Cantos (23km)
2: Manzanares del Real (27km)
3: Cercedilla (19km)
4: Segovia (31km)
5: Segovia (staying with friends/exploring)
6: Santa Maria (26km)
7: Coca (24km-ish) (this part of route I'll probably change)
8: Alcazaren (25km)
9: Puente Duero (25km)
10: Penaflor de... (26km)
11: Medina de... (24km)
12: Villalon de... (24km)
13: Santervas (21km)
14: Sahagun...and beyond

Any advice/tips/stories/people I should meet? Weather expectations for that time of year? Really anything is helpful :)

I'm very excited! This has been a long culminating project for me in many ways. I'm writing a book of poetry at the moment centered on dialogue and meaning nascence so if I see you on the Camino I'd love to share a few moments and words together.

CDBR

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey Everyone. (I've been reading many posts on this forum and I've gotta say this is quite the community.)

I'm setting off on my first Camino in the beginning of June (not sure of the day just yet) from Madrid. As of now I'm planning on completing the Camino de Madrid then connecting up with the CF for the remainder (since it is my first Camino I figured I should get both the solitary and the hectic).

Here are my stages: (are these alright? they are subject to change - much of this is from another thread)
1: Tres Cantos (23km)
2: Manzanares del Real (27km)
3: Cercedilla (19km)
4: Segovia (31km)
5: Segovia (staying with friends/exploring)
6: Santa Maria (26km)
7: Coca (24km-ish) (this part of route I'll probably change)
8: Alcazaren (25km)
9: Puente Duero (25km)
10: Penaflor de... (26km)
11: Medina de... (24km)
12: Villalon de... (24km)
13: Santervas (21km)
14: Sahagun...and beyond

Any advice/tips/stories/people I should meet? Weather expectations for that time of year? Really anything is helpful :)

I'm very excited! This has been a long culminating project for me in many ways. I'm writing a book of poetry at the moment centered on dialogue and meaning nascence so if I see you on the Camino I'd love to share a few moments and words together.

CDBR

Hola, Conner,

I walked CdM last year in June, started on 20th. One thing is sure - it could get quite hot but nothing unbearable or undoable :) More details you can find in my journal with photos in Camino de Madrid section of this forum. It starts with "Finally...".

I'm in contact with forum member @Maya Amanecer which finished CdM yesterday and she emphasized nothing special about the trail hence there's new albergue in Mataelpino approx.8kms further on from Manzanares. If you start in the outskirts of Madrid and make your first stop for the night in Colmenar Viejo then the second could be Mataelpino. From Tres Cantos to Mataelpino is a long slog I think.

If in Cercedilla you decided to stay in Albergue Juvenil (instead of polideportivo) on the other side of town that would shorten your next day for 3kms which can be a lot in the end of the day after 31kms over Fuenfria to Segovia. Partly because of the rain I walked Cercedilla to Valsain which wasn't really that bad especially for the next day which was shorter and still gave me enough time for short sight-seeing in Segovia. But from La Granja de San Ildefonso much of it was on tarmac sidewalks...

Try not to miss albergue in Zamarramala, just a stone throw from Segovia. And if you'll do that make sure to go on the outskirt of the village in the evening and enjoy night vista of Segovia. Very nice!

That being said I think your stops are OK since I think they are taken from my post :D But as always even if I plan my Camino I don't really stick to it. I just let things go their way and see what a day brings.

Enjoy your Camino and don't hesitate to ask if you need any additional info. Our CdM alumni group members will be glad to help you ;)

Ultreia!

Have a break in Navacerrada and go to Felix El Segoviano restaurant. Have their locally famous Picatostas con Chocolate. Also take time to visit La Granja de San Ildefonso and the Alcazar at Segovia.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Try to allow some time to make a detour to Valladolid from Puente Duero. And as Al the optimist suggested, try to allow some time too to make a detour to La Granja (aka San Ildefonso, aka La Granja de San Ildefonso, aka Real Sitio de San Ildefonso) from Segovia.

Try to allow some time to make a detour to Valladolid from Puente Duero. And as Al the optimist suggested, try to allow some time too to make a detour to La Granja (aka San Ildefonso, aka La Granja de San Ildefonso, aka Real Sitio de San Ildefonso) from Segovia.
Or just walk to La Granja through Valsain ;)

Or just walk to La Granja through Valsain

Yes, that would be another option. Maybe, an even better one than making it from Segovia.

BTW, you can also walk the detour from Puente Duero to Valladolid. The route is marked with shells (urban areas) and mojones (on the pinar).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, that would be another option. Maybe, an even better one than making it from Segovia.

BTW, you can also walk the detour from Puente Duero to Valladolid. The route is marked with shells (urban areas) and mojones (on the pinar).
That's true about marked path to Valladolid. I remember markers when leaving Puente Duero to go straight ahead. Camino de Madrid veers to the left alongside the road. Valladolid shouldn't be very far because after short ascent from Simancas you can see Valladolid suburbs in the valley.

Valladolid shouldn't be very far

The Southern part of Valladolid is something like 7 kms away from Puente Duero while Santiago Church, on the City Center, is something like 12-13 kms away.

P.S.: Puente Duero itself is on the municipality of Valladolid since 1960 (it was a municipality on its own before).
P.S.(2): Santiago Church is where the shells end/start (depending on what direction you are walking).

The Southern part of Valladolid is something like 7 kms away from Puente Duero while Santiago Church, on the City Center, is something like 12-13 kms away.

P.S.: Puente Duero itself is on the municipality of Valladolid since 1960 (it was a municipality on its own before).
P.S.(2): Santiago Church is where the shells end/start (depending on what direction you are walking).
So this could actually be one-day (same day) detour if hospitalero in PD would allow to stay another night ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So this could actually be one-day (same day) detour if hospitalero in PD would allow to stay another night

Yes. And if the hospitalero or hospitalera in Puente Duero doesn't allow it, you could walk from Valladolid to Ciguñuela (roughly 12-13 kms from Santiago church in Valladolid's city center) and stay on the Albergue in Ciguñuela. The walk from Valladolid to Ciguñuela isn't marked but it isn't (too) difficult.

P.S.: Another option, if to return to Puente Duero isn't an option, is to either walk or take a bus from Valladolid to Simancas and to stay in Simancas on private accommodation.

Yes. And if the hospitalero or hospitalera in Puente Duero doesn't allow it, you could walk from Valladolid to Ciguñuela (roughly 12-13 kms from Santiago church in Valladolid's city center) and stay on the Albergue in Ciguñuela. The walk from Valladolid to Ciguñuela isn't marked but it isn't (too) difficult.

P.S.: Another option, if to return to Puente Duero isn't an option, is to either walk or take a bus from Valladolid to Simancas and to stay in Simancas on private accommodation.
No busing here :D
And Valladolid Cigunuela is another option. I didn't mention it becauseI've seen from the guidebook that it isn't marked.

No busing here :D
And Valladolid Cigunuela is another option. I didn't mention it becauseI've seen from the guidebook that it isn't marked.

I don't know if it's the easiest way, but one way to go Valladolid to Cigunuela is to walk back to Simancas along the road, where you pick up the Camino again. It wouldn't be terribly scenic at the start, but it works!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't know if it's the easiest way, but one way to go Valladolid to Cigunuela is to walk back to Simancas along the road, where you pick up the Camino again. It wouldn't be terribly scenic at the start, but it works!

That option has the advantange that allows you to see Simancas what isn't a bad idea at all. On the other hand, it means a detour of about 6-7 kms.

Thanks for all the feedback folks. @KinkyOne I'll give your blog a read to get an idea of some of the routes. And for those detours I'll probably play it as it comes but will absolutely mark them on my map so I can see more.

(sorry it took so long for me to respond I've been chained to exams haha)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Roberts

my name's Martina, I'm Italian and I'm 26 years old.
I would like to do the Camino from Madrid; I would like to start it about at 18th June.
I don't know so much about this way because I only did the French's one. If you think we can do the Camino together, contact me!
I hope to hear form you!

Bye bye

Hi Martina. It is a good idea to print out the CSJ guide for the Camino de Madrid, then make lots of notes from all the great posts of Pilgrims who have walked it. It is a wonderful Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Colin: not sure what day I'm heading north but I'm going to start from plaza de Castillo near the metro station. I'll probably start the walk on the 1st but I have to help a friend move house first :) if anything we'll probably cross paths.

Martina: hey there! I'm probably going to leave before then but Buen camino, check out the other posts in CdM they are great resources. Sorry I can't join you

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

A couple days ago I started the Camino Madrid from Segovia. Some of you may recall that I posted a few months ago looking for a relatively flat Camino to test out my body to find out if I could...
We planning a Camino Mixto of Camino Madrid/Salvador/Primitivo starting in early April next year. April 13-20 is Semana Santa next year We will probably fly in to Barcelona on 4th April and play...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.