• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Solitude and safety on the del norte in Aug/Sep

jwstraz

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte, Aug 2015
Hi all,

I've wanted to do a camino for some time and, after a recent personal incident, decided now is the time to make it happen! I booked a flight yesterday to head out this upcoming Sunday. I fly into Santander and will hike the del norte and will likely take the primitivo through Oviedo.

A few questions for your collective wisdom:

1. Will I be uncomfortably alone on the del Norte? I'm okay with solitude, but I'm apprehensive about ~10 hours of hiking each day in which I won't see another soul. I thought the del Norte might be busier this time of year. Will I meet others, or will this be three weeks of nothing but me?
  2. Will I feel safe? I know this is a common question, but it seems especially relevant for those who have gone on the del Norte. Assuming I feel good about the solitude, was there any portion of the walk that was unsettling?

Thanks a bunch!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi.
I'm starting my North run on the 26th from Irun.
I'm positive you will be fine, this is not deepest darkest africa its Spain. You will see plenty people jn the mornings when you depart and also when you reach your destination each day.
I understand from my research that the primitivo there will be plenty of pilgrims on the road.
Have no fear, enjoy your camino, it's a wonderful experience.
Good luck and buen camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks to both for the responses. This is my first camino, so I think I'm simply in the process of shaking off my apprehensions. Confident the start will quickly calm me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks to both for the responses. This is my first camino, so I think I'm simply in the process of shaking off my apprehensions. Confident the start will quickly calm me.
There is no shaking apprehensions; I have gone on a Camino 5 times now and the apprehension is there every time. That apprehension actually ends up being one of the beloved features of the Camino I walk part odpf the Norte late September to mid October and there was lots of company in the evenings. Have a wonderful time.

Hi all,

I've wanted to do a camino for some time and, after a recent personal incident, decided now is the time to make it happen! I booked a flight yesterday to head out this upcoming Sunday. I fly into Santander and will hike the del norte and will likely take the primitivo through Oviedo.

A few questions for your collective wisdom:

1. Will I be uncomfortably alone on the del Norte? I'm okay with solitude, but I'm apprehensive about ~10 hours of hiking each day in which I won't see another soul. I thought the del Norte might be busier this time of year. Will I meet others, or will this be three weeks of nothing but me?
  2. Will I feel safe? I know this is a common question, but it seems especially relevant for those who have gone on the del Norte. Assuming I feel good about the solitude, was there any portion of the walk that was unsettling?

Thanks a bunch!
Hi everybody,
I'll start my CN on the 27th of August 2015 from San Sebastian and I'm like you concerned about how it will be. I've been on CF in 2012 where there was a lot of pilgrims. We'll probably not meet but I wish you a safe hiking!

Hi there! How are you getting on? (if you'll read this again?) I have the same fears and would love to know if you are walking with people. Or if you have the choice to walk with people if you want to. I have done the camino Frances 4 years ago, and half again 2 years ago. I've always wanted to do the Norte and have booked to arrive on the 2nd September 2015 but am now getting cold feet! I am particularly scared of cows, but if I knew there were other pilgrims around I would feel reassured. If you read this again or if others know what number of pilgrims there are in September I would be greatly appreciative! So close now just a little scared! :) thanks, Ruth, 24

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi there! How are you getting on? (if you'll read this again?) I have the same fears and would love to know if you are walking with people. Or if you have the choice to walk with people if you want to. I have done the camino Frances 4 years ago, and half again 2 years ago. I've always wanted to do the Norte and have booked to arrive on the 2nd September 2015 but am now getting cold feet! I am particularly scared of cows, but if I knew there were other pilgrims around I would feel reassured. If you read this again or if others know what number of pilgrims there are in September I would be greatly appreciative! So close now just a little scared! :) thanks, Ruth, 24
Worldwidewalk, good news: a lot more cows on the loose ipon th CF than the Norte. Now, if you take the Primitivo options you will run into the, again.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Worldwidewalk:

I do not recall any loose cows on the Norte but many beautiful seascapes. There should be enough traffic (other Pilgrims) that you will have the option to walk with others, in sight of others or alone. There is a very nice Albergue in Orio right on the Camino, if you want a short first day (18 km's).

I am having Norte withdrawal symptoms. Please post periodically so we/I can walk vicariously through you. Enjoy this beautiful Camino.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Hi
I'm thinking of starting the Norte from Irun around the 15th September, and like others who have posted just a little concerned about the numbers who may be walking at that time and the proportion of albergues that will still be open...any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Many thanks
Nick

Starting the Camino del Norte mid September also from Irun will most likely cross paths along the way. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Starting the Camino del Norte mid September also from Irun will most likely cross paths along the way. Buen Camino!
Still convincing myself to head off to Irun, but if/when I do I'm sure our paths would cross somewhere along the way! Buen Camino!

Hi
I'm thinking of starting the Norte from Irun around the 15th September, and like others who have posted just a little concerned about the numbers who may be walking at that time and the proportion of albergues that will still be open...any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Many thanks
Nick
Go to the Eroski site, it tells you when the albergues are open.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can try and let you know when I am along the way how it is going! Cows, quantity of pilgrims! And how good the food is :) Love and blessings to all, very buen camino wherever you walk x

I'll be starting the Camino on Sept 10 from Bilbao with a friend, but we will be on bikes, as we don't have much time off work. I'm sure we will either run into you, or run you over :) jk. Buen Camino!

I will be leaving Ribadeo on the 12th September, got CN withdrawal and could not wait another year
had no problem last year when walking from San Sebastion enjoyed every minute of the walk

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi I have the same problem/feelings - plan to do the CN starting the end of September. Is anybody going to be there the same dates?

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back