• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese Passport?

KFor7007

Last year I completed the Frances, September- October. I thought I'd do the Portuguese next year, from Lisbon. However, a 'window' of around 2 weeks has opened for me in late September this month, and I thought I might try Porto to Santiago then.
My question: where do I pick up my passport and first stamp at the start? Sorry - I'm sure that this will have been covered on this forum, but I'm trying to get organised as quickly as I can.
I understand there's a good network of albergues on the Way and the waymarking is excellent.

Many thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last year I completed the Frances, September- October. I thought I'd do the Portuguese next year, from Lisbon. However, a 'window' of around 2 weeks has opened for me in late September this month, and I thought I might try Porto to Santiago then.
My question: where do I pick up my passport and first stamp at the start? Sorry - I'm sure that this will have been covered on this forum, but I'm trying to get organised as quickly as I can.
I understand there's a good network of albergues on the Way and the waymarking is excellent.

Many thanks.
I do not know where you can get a pilgrims credential in Porto . I allways arrange that on before hand to be sure I do not face any surprises.
Ivar sells credentials. You can order in his webshop here on the forum. You will have time enough.
Your first stamp.. There exists no rule but I should say start at the Sé cathedral in Porto and inside is a desk where they can put your first "carimbo" as a stamp is called in Portugal

Bom caminho

Any idea when the Porto cathedral might open on a Sunday? I'm planning to leave that day, catch the train to Matosinhos and walk to VdC. I'm wondering if it might be better if I got the lovely first stamp on Saturday instead?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Any idea when the Porto cathedral might open on a Sunday? I'm planning to leave that day, catch the train to Matosinhos and walk to VdC. I'm wondering if it might be better if I got the lovely first stamp on Saturday instead?
in front of the catedrale Se' is also a sort of 'tourist info office' (separate small building) - and I was told by staff that they too have a carimbo for the caminho portuguese.
Bom Caminho

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
So, the Cathedral in Porto does not have Credentials?? I was also planning to pick one up there. Oh dear...I just assumed.

@Albertinho: do you know if I can pick one up here in Holland? Can I just ask at a Catholic Church?

Do not know about your first question but I think there will be people in the church around 9 o' clock to attend you . Entering the cathedral directly at the right is a booth where you can obtain your "carimbo". They deal a lot with peregrino's and tourists so I expect english will be spoken.
I can't remember how I coped with that but I speak spanish and by then after walked from Lisbon my portuguese was improved significantly.Anyway I got mine :)
Off course you can go the day before and ask if they "anti date" the stamp if you explain you will leave the next morning.
there is no train to Matosinhos but a metro (subway) and a bus # 500. Which is a lovely ride along the Douro river.
Anyway in both ways go as far as stop "Mercado" There is the bridge over the harbour of Porto and starts your coastal caminho.

Bom caminho

So, the Cathedral in Porto does not have Credentials?? I was also planning to pick one up there. Oh dear...I just assumed.

@Albertinho:do you know if I can pick one up here in Holland? Can I just ask at a Catholic Church?

Kylie, they do sell them, I even called to confirm it. As Albertinho said, after you enter on the right the is a help-desk, they'll sell you the credencial and stamp it. Summer and winter opening times are on the link I posted above.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
in front of the catedrale Se' is also a sort of 'tourist info office' (separate small building) - and I was told by staff that they too have a carimbo for the caminho portuguese.

Just reconfirming what has been said already: I got a credential at the tourist office adjacent to the cathedral (the "Sé" in Portuguese). I mention this in case for any reason the helpdesk inside the cathedral proper isn't in operation when you're there.

The website says it opens at 9 AM and doesn't mention any Sunday closings.

http://www.visitporto.travel/Visitar/Paginas/Descobrir/detalhespoi.aspx?POI=907

is there not an advertisement link on this page (top right hand side)where you can buy a credential, I got one a few weeks ago and the delivery was very fast (Posted the nest day). maybe its no there if your a member. just one less thing to fret about when you are leaving.... or just making room for something else to fret about!

@Albertinho: do you know if I can pick one up here in Holland? Can I just ask at a Catholic Church?

Kylie, you can get one from the Jacobs Genootschap in Utrecht (the Dutch contrafernity, you get it when you a become a member). Alternatively, you can also get one from the Pied a terre bookshop in Amsterdam (it's at Overtoom).

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Kylie, you can get one from the Jacobs Genootschap in Utrecht (the Dutch contrafernity, you get it when you a become a member). Alternatively, you can also get one from the Pied a terre bookshop in Amsterdam (it's at Overtoom).
I do not know if a credential is for sale in the Netherlands.
I am not a member of the Jacobs Genootschap.
Ivar sells them for € 2.50 as being a minimum donative amount.
The 3 I used I ordered in Portugal.

Hi, Kylie--I could easily be wrong but I suspect you should be able to a pilgrim passport from the tourist office in front of the cathedral that another poster mentioned below.
I think we may be on the same route at the same time soon. You start soon, yes? I'll be starting from Porto on September 6 heading up the coast. Will keep an eye out for you!

ETA: rookie mistake of responding before reading other posters' helpful comments. My bad.

Just to clear things up.
You can get a Credencial (Pilgrim's Passport) at the Porto Cathedral for 1,5 Euro.
It is open all days, 7 a week.
If something out of the ordinary happens and you can't get a Credencial there, go get one at the Tourist Office next to the Cathedral.
It is also open everyday.
You can get stamps - sellos - carimbos (inPortuguese) on both places.
In Lisboa you can also get a Credencial at the Cathedral, costs 2 euros though.
In Portugal we call a Cathedral by Sé (from Sede - headquarters). The oficial name is Sé Catedral. You pronounce the é in 'Sé' as the first e in 'every'.
Bom Caminho.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back