• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Toronto to St Jean Pied de Port

Bumpa

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Roncesvalles to Sahagun Oct 2016
Sahagun to SDC April 2017 Burgos to SDC April 2018
I am contemplating walking the Camino Frances next April/May. I am wondering what is the easiest/cheapest way to get from Toronto to St Jean. Would it be easier to fly into Paris or Madrid? Thanks in advance for any help

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi, and welcome!

You have all the information about how to reach St. Jean in this forum:

Traveling to/from the camino

Long story short: if flying to Madrid, you would have to travel from there to Pamplona and then take a bus or a taxi from there to St. Jean. From Paris, you can take a train to Bayonne and then switch to another train to Cambo les Bains, and then take a bus to St. Jean. But as I said, it's all explained much more throughly in the linked forum.

The Toronto chapter's November meeting usually has a session on how to get to your starting point. Watch the Canadian Company of Pilgrims FB page for information-- it's likely the date will be posted in a few weeks' time.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I flew from Toronto to Paris, then Paris to Biarritz. Then train (now a bus) to SJPP.

I am contemplating walking the Camino Frances next April/May. I am wondering what is the easiest/cheapest way to get from Toronto to St Jean. Would it be easier to fly into Paris or Madrid? Thanks in advance for any help
Hi, last April I walked with a Pilgrim from Hammilton .He flew to Madrid and than he traveled to Pamplona / SJPDP.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The Toronto chapter's November meeting usually has a session on how to get to your starting point. Watch the Canadian Company of Pilgrims FB page for information-- it's likely the date will be posted in a few weeks' time.
Look at the Toronto Camino Chapter FB page. Loads of info in the Notes section. Also the meeting is the first Saturday in November and March.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

A critical factor is how will you get home.

It takes about the same amount of time to get from Paris to SJPdP via Bayonne using SNCF train as it does to get from Madrid to SJPdP via Pamplona using Renfe train or ALSA bus to Pamplona and CONDA bus to SJPdP.

The closest airport to SJPdP is Biarritz (BIQ).
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

The closest airport to Santiago is Labacolla (SCQ).
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Santiago/en/Home.html

Note that neither of these airports are connected to Toronto thus requiring a transit point. Note that there are flights from Santiago to Paris and there are not flights from Biarritz to Madrid (there is an airport at San Sebastian EAS). There are several discount carriers that make it low cost to purchase one way flights in Europe.

I've gone via London but it requires a long bus transfer from Heathrow to either Stansted or Gatwick. Security and customs are time consuming. However London is very well connected including flights to Biarritz and Santiago.

Take #14 chronoplus bus from Biarritz airport to Gare Bayonne. Take SNCF TER Aquitaine train from Gare Bayonne to Cambo les Bains and SNCF TER Aquitaine bus to SJPdP.

Chronoplus
http://www.chronoplus.eu/

SNCF TER Aquitaine
https://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine

These are excellent points people. It makes so much more sense to have comments from people who have been in the situation rather than trying to visualize the necessary points while reading a variety of materials. Many thanks

I flew from Toronto to Paris (Charles de Gaulle airport) on Air Transat, arrived about 11 a.m. and got an early-afternoon train to Bayonne (five hours or so, very pleasant, much cheaper than flying), where I spent the night in a hotel across from the station. Then I took the morning train to SJPP and started walking at mid-day, staying the first night in Orisson. I booked the two trains and the Bayonne and Orrison accommodations ahead of time, so it was smooth sailing. You can get a train to Bayonne or Biarritz directly from the Charles de Gaulle airport, but I took the Paris RER system in to Gare Montparnasse to catch an earlier southbound train and thereby avoided arriving in Bayonne late at night. From what others have said, the local Bayonne-SJPP train is no longer operating, but the bus would be fine, too. It's a short trip.

I find that Air Transat is usually the cheapest for Toronto-to-Europe flights, and they operate many, many more flights, and cheaper ones, from Toronto to Paris than to Madrid. I purchased a one-way ticket because my time was flexible and I didn't want a deadline looming while I walked. About ten days before my return, I booked on Vueling from Santiago-de-C to Brussels and on Air Transat back to Toronto. The two Air Transat one-ways cost about $150 more than if I'd had a round-trip ticket, but the flexibility was worth it.

You have lots of time to plan, but hope this helps!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks gml. I am noticing that as well when on the Air Transat web page. Better price for sure into Paris. I have been contemplating an open ended ticket as I am not sure how long, or how short :), the time in Spain will be and it would be nice to have some flexibility. I am not sure if you flew into Paris on Air Transat and home out of Brussels on the same airline

The Toronto Chapter is having its fall meeting on October 31 9-3:30 at the Beach United Church on Wineva and Queen St. East. Details up soon– check the Toronto branch’s FB page

I flew from Toronto to Paris (Charles de Gaulle airport) on Air Transat, arrived about 11 a.m. and got an early-afternoon train to Bayonne (five hours or so, very pleasant, much cheaper than flying), where I spent the night in a hotel across from the station. Then I took the morning train to SJPP and started walking at mid-day, staying the first night in Orisson. I booked the two trains and the Bayonne and Orrison accommodations ahead of time, so it was smooth sailing. You can get a train to Bayonne or Biarritz directly from the Charles de Gaulle airport, but I took the Paris RER system in to Gare Montparnasse to catch an earlier southbound train and thereby avoided arriving in Bayonne late at night. From what others have said, the local Bayonne-SJPP train is no longer operating, but the bus would be fine, too. It's a short trip.

I find that Air Transat is usually the cheapest for Toronto-to-Europe flights, and they operate many, many more flights, and cheaper ones, from Toronto to Paris than to Madrid. I purchased a one-way ticket because my time was flexible and I didn't want a deadline looming while I walked. About ten days before my return, I booked on Vueling from Santiago-de-C to Brussels and on Air Transat back to Toronto. The two Air Transat one-ways cost about $150 more than if I'd had a round-trip ticket, but the flexibility was worth it.

Hello GML,

I am looking at the Air transat flight to Paris from Toronto that gets in at 11 am too. How long did it take to clear customs in order to get a train ticket? I am going in September 2016 but you can't seem to book train tickets more than 3 months in advance. Is that what you found? What is Paris RER?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello GML,

I am looking at the Air transat flight to Paris from Toronto that gets in at 11 am too. How long did it take to clear customs in order to get a train ticket? I am going in September 2016 but you can't seem to book train tickets more than 3 months in advance. Is that what you found? What is Paris RER?

The Paris RER is 5 express train lines connecting Paris city center to surrounding suburbs.

Here is RATP interactive map:
http://www.ratp.fr/plan-interactif/

CDG to Montparnasse: RER B to St Michels and Metro line 4 from St Michels to Montparnasse Bienvenue. Then its a long walk (allow 15 minutes) to the Montparnasse train station. (note there are 3 places where RER B intersects with Metro line 4)

You cannot usually reserve a seat on SNCF trains more than 3 months in advance.

You cannot reserve a seat on SNCF TER trains (Bayonne to SJPdP). Tickets for TER trains are good for 90 days.

I have not been through customs at Paris. Customs anywhere is a mugs game ... it depends on how many people are entering at any given time. It depends on the security situation. Some countries (including Canada) give priority to citizens. Etc. I'd allow an hour minimum.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the current security situation in Paris I would allow for at least 2 hours to go through controls/customs. You might be lucky and get out in less, but better safe than sorry. Buen Camino, SY

Thank you for this! I am walking the spring of 2017 and was trying to figure if I should book one way or round trip. You have answered my question. I have 60 days so a little flexibility. Thanks again!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
With the current security situation in Paris I would allow for at least 2 hours to go through controls/customs. You might be lucky and get out in less, but better safe than sorry. Buen Camino, SY
Thanks SY, this also helps me as I did not realize it would take that long through customs.
Chris

Thanks SY, this also helps me as I did not realize it would take that long through customs.
Chris

If you ask the question on line ... the answers show anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours ... with the average about an hour. It depends on how many people are in the line up. The process itself is passport control and takes a few seconds while they check your documents; its not 10 minutes of impertinent questioning as you would get here in Canada.

Thank you for this! I am walking the spring of 2017 and was trying to figure if I should book one way or round trip. You have answered my question. I have 60 days so a little flexibility. Thanks again!
I am flying from Toronto to Barcelona arriving on May 8. My suggestion is to avoid doing the same. I am losing a whole day with the local travel to STJPDP. Connect through Paris instead.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am flying from Toronto to Barcelona arriving on May 8. My suggestion is to avoid doing the same. I am losing a whole day with the local travel to STJPDP. Connect through Paris instead.

There is no benefit to travel via Paris, London, Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao etc. It will take you all day to get from any of the above listed to SJPdP. If you start too late in the day you won't get there. The last bus from Pamplona leaves 1730 and the last train from Bayonne (usually) leaves 1806.

That is what I've been able to discern also @whariwharangi. Thank you . I'm actually flying into Marseille and taking the train. Either way the day is shot and flying from Toronto, jet lag needs to be considered. Buen camino!

I just booked with Corazon Puro for Sunday May 8. They will pick me up at the Pamplona train station at 16:06 and drop me off next morning in St. Jean.
Contrary to what is stated in one of the posts, they do pickups after 3pm. Crazyloon, have you booked a train yet? Don't use RENFE's site; it's frustrating.
I used www.loco2.com from the UK. Much easier and in English.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I just booked with Corazon Puro for Sunday May 8. They will pick me up at the Pamplona train station at 16:06 and drop me off next morning in St. Jean.
Contrary to what is stated in one of the posts, they do pickups after 3pm. Crazyloon, have you booked a train yet? Don't use RENFE's site; it's frustrating.
I used www.loco2.com from the UK. Much easier and in English.

Thank you! I had not considered Corazon Puro and what a lovely service they provide. I've used RENFE before and yes confusing. Thanks for the additional link. I am in research mode so no bookings yet. I'm April/May next year.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back