• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question for t2andreo or anyone else with the Sea to Summit tarp poncho

pudgypilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
voie de tours 2015
I've been auditioning ponchos and am kind of torn between the Sea to Summit Ultra sil nano tarp poncho and the Ferrino trekker. On weight and volume the StS wins hands down, but I've been wondering about one thing--with a regular coat-poncho like the trekker, if you're caught in a storm and then the sun comes out, you can just leave the poncho hanging from your pack till it dries. That doesn't really seem to be an option for the StS, so I'm curious as to what people do with that one till it's dry enough to put back in the stuff sack.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Our (original) Rohan ponchos were the tarp type. We just shook them out and carried them for a time loosely rolled, or put them in a plastic bag. That way we could carry them, fasten them to our packs or else put them in the pack. Our packs had outside pockets where we kept our waterproofs so this way even if still damp they did not wet our pack contents. We take care to dry them out and also turn them inside out to air off.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've been auditioning ponchos and am kind of torn between the Sea to Summit Ultra sil nano tarp poncho and the Ferrino trekker. On weight and volume the StS wins hands down, but I've been wondering about one thing--with a regular coat-poncho like the trekker, if you're caught in a storm and then the sun comes out, you can just leave the poncho hanging from your pack till it dries. That doesn't really seem to be an option for the StS, so I'm curious as to what people do with that one till it's dry enough to put back in the stuff sack.

I have a Ferrino trekker and I love the style, but I left it home this year. I walk in spring or summer, and this poncho is way too hot for me. The inside is lined with a metallic finish, and I've learned that the purpose of that lining is to provide warmth and prevent hypothermia. Well,that's not a problem for me on the camino in spring or summer, so it winds up making me sweat a lot. I know everyone sweats inside any raincoat or any poncho if you are engaged in aerobic activity, but I am generally not a "heavy sweat-er" and I start to sweat as soon as I walk a few minutes with it on.

I've pretty much decided to go back to a cheap unlined old style poncho and leave it at that. There's a lot less sweating inside an open flapping poncho. Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks, Laurie. Actually, as a Floridian who thinks anything below 75ºF is cold, that's the one aspect of the Trekker that does appeal to me, since I'll be walking through Sept-October, but I'm thinking I might actually use the StS around here sometimes and when it's cold here it doesn't rain. And I like that I can just shove it in a skirt pocket on days when it looks like I might need it and not have to worry about reaching around to the pack to get to it.

The StS is static-y, though, to a degree that surprises me. Even in our current 80%+ humidity my hair stands straight out for a bit after I pull it off, and with my hair that's not easy to achieve.

I had a Sea to Summit which was pretty useless to me on the Aubrac Plateau in cold and sleet because of its tendency to flap in wind and ultimately leak. A French Lafuma which I bought in Espalion (where I donated the Sea to Summit) was more stable and stiff enough to be waterproof. I think it would be a good cheap option for lighter conditions. I eventually replaced it in Spain with one of the earlier, stiffer Altus jackets, which are really the answer for me, as a cool weather walker. I've had another sil nylon poncho, quite expensive, which proved useless in the heavy type of rain we get here on the NSW mid coast. Never took it on camino: I simply gave it away. The Altus is my go-to, though in the bush around here I just use a brolley as conditions don't really suit ponchos, except in wet winters.

There are people quite happy with the looser styles and with sil nylon, so take my advice/experience as purely personal. I'm guessing I'd have to get a Ferrino if an old style Altus was unavailable, but in lighter conditions a Lafuma would do nicely. No doubt a hot weather pilg would have a different experience and opinion on these things.

It's mentioned less often, but don't count out the Lafuma, which used to be readily available and cheap in SJPdP (2010).

Good luck with choices

Rob

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Peregrina2000 nailed it with her review of the Ferrino Trekker. I concur wholeheartedly. That is why I sold it after completing my first Camino Frances in 2013. It was a fine raincoat, but caused me to sweat so much that even on a cold day, dehydration was a consideration. In the evening, I would reverse the jacket and rinse it in a shower to get the salt off. Hung somewhere, reversed, it was always dry by the next morning.

On my second Camino Frances in 2014, I found the S2S sil nylon tarp poncho worked as at least as well to shield from the rain that was falling, was better than the Ferrino at being more ventilated, and weighed far less. I had a light blue one. That color contrasted with my surroundings, making me more visible to oncoming traffic while road walking.

This year, for my shorter walk from Porto to Sanitago in April, I used the new version of the S2S. It is even lighter than the earlier version and packs VERY small. However, the fabric is relatively more delicate, so you must be careful of pokes and snags.

Both S2S ponchos share the same, serious design defect. The snaps are too flimsy and come apart with the slightest tension placed on them. After my 2014 Camino Frances, I used super glue to permanently connect the snaps. Hold them together with clothes pins until the glue bonds fully. The likelihood of ever needing the poncho as a tarp is nil on most Camino routes. So, this was a carefully considered decision.

In fact, when I received my new version S2S poncho, I glued the snaps together BEFORE my April 2015 Camino. I had no problems with the snaps. The poncho did what it was supposed to do, protect me and my rucksack from the rain, and it was so small that it resided in one of my rucksack's side mesh pockets. The new S2S poncho is abut the size of a small mango. I do not use these pockets for water bottles. They ride up front on my chest, hanging from the shoulder strap and rucksack harness.

I recommend the newest, lighter, version of the S2S tarp poncho. It is NOT cheap, about USD 85. But it is effective and very Camino-friendly. If super-gluing the snaps together gives you pause, consider using a narrow piece of duck tape instead.

I hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Totally agree with t2andreo that the S2S snaps open with the slightest pressure. I used one last year on the Frances and it was great if there was no wind as it's really long so keeps everything underneath dry. Not so good in wind - flaps about, snaps come open, everything gets wet. I like the suggestion to super glue the snaps together!

I have an older Sea to Summit tarp poncho which is quite satisfactory for my needs. It is not sil-nylon and weighs 350 g. My last poncho, a sil nylon one, blew away in a rainstorm. I hate it when the things flap in the wind and find that a little extra weight helps with this. My nylon poncho keeps me and my gear dry and has adequate ventilation to prevent the interior being a sweat-box. My lower legs and boots get wet. One disadvantage of a poncho is that the rain runs down the poncho onto one's lower legs and into one's boots. I do not know any practical way to avoid this. Basically, my main concern in heavy rain is to keep my backpack dry and myself (fairly) comfortable. My Sea to Summit tarp poncho does this adequately. I don't worry too much about getting it dry after rain, but just attach it to the outside of the backpack. Good luck in finding the best raingear for you.

Pudgypilgrim, you might also consider the Bluefield Ponchos sold On Amazon. Modest price - approx US$20. I have used mine on many occasions on open trail walking, even in rough weather. I would not however contemplate wearing it in the Aussie bush. Check out Amazon for the specs. Good fortune in finding the rain gear suitable for your requirements.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have them both - the SeaToSummit sil-nylon tarp poncho (circa 2010) and the Ferrino Trekker. The StS is damnably difficult to put on single-handed, it just barely comes to my knees (I'm 5'-7"), and just to my elbows. For my walks in Czech Republic, Germany, and Switzerland in the shoulder seasons, the StS is just not good enough. I've been extremely happy with the Trekker -- and it is so much easier to put on single-handed!

Thanks, Kitsambler. Interesting that you say that, because I haven't found it really very much harder at all to put on when I've tried. I guess if it were windy it could well be.

t2andreo, is there a particular reason why you switched to superglue from the reflective tape you used on the old poncho?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We have been satisfied with our StS ponchos, which we bought in 2013, so I assume they are the older model. We also had a problem with the snaps coming undone too easily, so I machine sewed the snaps permanently shut, and that worked well. We shook them well after taking them off, folded them in half lengthwise and carried them on our hip where they were easy to access if it started raining again (wedged between the hip belt and bottom of the shoulder strap). They dried quickly once we hung them up at the end of the day.

I think I am going to give up on finding a replacement for the Ferrino Trekker. This disucssion and others makes me think that the old style square poncho with snaps at the side is the best for me. No metallic lining, lots of space for air to come and go, etc. But I would prefer to buy a poncho that doesn't require super glue for snaps, etc.

Can anyone recommend a high quality old style square/rectangular poncho with snaps?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't think there are any snaps that won't come undone if the wind is strong enough, Laurie. I do suspect that the ones on the nano are more likely to come undone because they are much lighter than the old style metal snaps, but overall I suspect that's just endemic to that kind of design.

I don't think there are any snaps that won't come undone if the wind is strong enough, Laurie. I do suspect that the ones on the nano are more likely to come undone because they are much lighter than the old style metal snaps, but overall I suspect that's just endemic to that kind of design.

I walked in my old poncho for more than 10 caminos and went through some pretty windy rainy conditions. Never did a snap blow open. If this poncho is sold to be able to do double duty as a tarp, I would think the snaps have to withstand a fair amount of force -- surely there are some brands that are satisfactory in that regard, no????

sold to be able to do double duty as a tarp, I would think the snaps have to withstand a fair amount of force

? When used as a tarp you unsnap it completely and snug down the head opening with a toggle. The tie down points are very nicely reinforced, although I can't imagine ever needing to use it for a tent, myself.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
? When used as a tarp you unsnap it completely and snug down the head opening with a toggle. The tie down points are very nicely reinforced, although I can't imagine ever needing to use it for a tent, myself.
Well, if I can find my Primitivo pictures, I'll show you how the snaps were used to connect with other ponchos and make a lean-to of sorts for a group of 7. Not sure I can explain it, but in any event, I'm only interested in finding a poncho whose snaps won't blow open when I'm walking in wind and rain.

The old style Rohan poncho had snaps that were very hard to undo, certainly would not blow open. Sadly the new style (with mini sleeves) is narrower and also the snaps are put on so that the sides are overlapping and when over a pack form a channel to let the water in. If you can find a 2009/2010 second hand Rohan rectangular ponco/tarp it would be good. Anything with sleeves has the problem, and the latest model is even narrower/tighter. Great for travel but not for wearing with a pack. We keep hoping that they bring the old style back.

As a cover once the rain started coming down, this two-poncho overhang was quite adequate. But really all I'm hoping for is a recommendation on a poncho with sturdy snaps. :)

poncho.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the photo, Laurie. I suspect that the StS would be okay like that if it were connected to another poncho with the same snaps (the tension would help it stay together), but I sure wouldn't want to try plastic snaps to metal ones. I hope you find one that suits you.

Thanks for the photo, Laurie. I suspect that the StS would be okay like that if it were connected to another poncho with the same snaps (the tension would help it stay together), but I sure wouldn't want to try plastic snaps to metal ones. I hope you find one that suits you.
Oh, so are the snaps on StS plastic? I guess that means I would want to hunt for a poncho with metal snaps, thanks, pudgypilgrim! Laurie

They're the same odd hybrid material as the snaps on my Columbia Tamiami shirt, if that helps you visualize them.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
One advantage of metal snaps would be that if they wear slack you can gently tap them with a hammer to slightly flatten the bobble side and make them a tight fit again. I have done it with trousers but never a poncho.

t2andreo, is there a particular reason why you switched to superglue from the reflective tape you used on the old poncho?

Sorry for the delay. I was just alerted to your "like" today... go figure...

Anyway, the reflective tape did not stick to the very slick siliconized nylon as well as I thought it should. I reverted temporarily, while on Camino, to duck tape. That worked, but the tape left icky glue residue on the fabric.

When I returned home, I applied the Super Glue solution. It has held so far. This ONLY works if you are certain you will not need to open the tarp for use as an expedient shelter. But, in my view, it represents the most elegant solution.

Until S2S uses a more robust snap on their ponchos this will be an issue. Personally, I think a nylon toggle would work better than a plastic snap. But, I understand the economies of saving pennies during production. Perhaps if they made a heavy duty version, with either toggles or another sort of fastener that held better in the wind, this would be another viable solution.

All said, this is the lightest, smallest poncho short of one of those cheap plastic "body condom" things you get in souvenir shops along the way.

I hope this helps.

I had a Sea to Summit which was pretty useless to me on the Aubrac Plateau in cold and sleet because of its tendency to flap in wind and ultimately leak. A French Lafuma which I bought in Espalion (where I donated the Sea to Summit) was more stable and stiff enough to be waterproof. I think it would be a good cheap option for lighter conditions. I eventually replaced it in Spain with one of the earlier, stiffer Altus jackets, which are really the answer for me, as a cool weather walker. I've had another sil nylon poncho, quite expensive, which proved useless in the heavy type of rain we get here on the NSW mid coast. Never took it on camino: I simply gave it away. The Altus is my go-to, though in the bush around here I just use a brolley as conditions don't really suit ponchos, except in wet winters.

There are people quite happy with the looser styles and with sil nylon, so take my advice/experience as purely personal. I'm guessing I'd have to get a Ferrino if an old style Altus was unavailable, but in lighter conditions a Lafuma would do nicely. No doubt a hot weather pilg would have a different experience and opinion on these things.

It's mentioned less often, but don't count out the Lafuma, which used to be readily available and cheap in SJPdP (2010).

Good luck with choices

Rob
I tried a Sea to Summit nano sil poncho and was as wet under as on top. Laid it inside out on table and had water pooling on inside?? everyone says they are great so why was mine so wet inside

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back