• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Thank you and Buen Camino

Conner Roberts

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago de Madrid(2015)
Signing back in for a moment before I'm off to begin another strenuous semester in a hot and dry California.

I've been meaning to say this for a while: Thank you for the wonderful posts on this forum. They were extremely helpful and encouraging as I made my way alone from Madrid to Fisterra. What a great journey it all was. Only after a week or so I was able to fully 'disconnect' and walk everyday in digital darkness (no guide, no map, only arrows) and without this forums help in the first stages I don't know when I would've gotten to that wonderful place of walking.

I remember on day two I woke up around 4 am and struggled to pack my bag in the Ayuntamiento underground hallway. I walked out of Tres Cantos to a full moon, and eventually a rising sun, both present at the same time. I took a rest, ate my breakfast, then continued through Colmenar Viejo. The streets were almost empty and I was dedicated to making good time (something I gave up only weeks later, honestly) so I walked fast, turning, turning, a bit lost, finding arrows out of the corner of my eye, almost to the edge of town when a trash crew cuts in front of me. Just two guys pushing a few cans on a trailer. I get a nod from the first guy. I nod back. Then the second man looks me straight in the eyes and wishes me 'buen camino'. While it was probably because this was the first time I heard these two words spoken sincerely, or maybe because I was tired, or maybe because in that morning quiet any solidarity means a bit more, I felt deeply moved.

And that occasion stuck with me, day in day out, through the ridiculous heat of the Meseta until Fisterra when I said my 'last' Buen Camino. All the bits and pieces of meaning wrapped up in those words that neither goodbye nor goodluck, or even a piece-be-with-you can really encompass. When understood they are a true recognition of those you are connected to, for however briefly... and on that morning, on day two, it was cold and I was lonely and the day ahead was going to be extremely hot and that recognition meant everything to me.

so with that all said...

Buen Camino
Conner

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Signing back in for a moment before I'm off to begin another strenuous semester in a hot and dry California.

I've been meaning to say this for a while: Thank you for the wonderful posts on this forum. They were extremely helpful and encouraging as I made my way alone from Madrid to Fisterra. What a great journey it all was. Only after a week or so I was able to fully 'disconnect' and walk everyday in digital darkness (no guide, no map, only arrows) and without this forums help in the first stages I don't know when I would've gotten to that wonderful place of walking.

I remember on day two I woke up around 4 am and struggled to pack my bag in the Ayuntamiento underground hallway. I walked out of Tres Cantos to a full moon, and eventually a rising sun, both present at the same time. I took a rest, ate my breakfast, then continued through Colmenar Viejo. The streets were almost empty and I was dedicated to making good time (something I gave up only weeks later, honestly) so I walked fast, turning, turning, a bit lost, finding arrows out of the corner of my eye, almost to the edge of town when a trash crew cuts in front of me. Just two guys pushing a few cans on a trailer. I get a nod from the first guy. I nod back. Then the second man looks me straight in the eyes and wishes me 'buen camino'. While it was probably because this was the first time I heard these two words spoken sincerely, or maybe because I was tired, or maybe because in that morning quiet any solidarity means a bit more, I felt deeply moved.

And that occasion stuck with me, day in day out, through the ridiculous heat of the Meseta until Fisterra when I said my 'last' Buen Camino. All the bits and pieces of meaning wrapped up in those words that neither goodbye nor goodluck, or even a piece-be-with-you can really encompass. When understood they are a true recognition of those you are connected to, for however briefly... and on that morning, on day two, it was cold and I was lonely and the day ahead was going to be extremely hot and that recognition meant everything to me.

so with that all said...

Buen Camino
Conner
Hi Conner,thank you for your post 'from the heart' that echoes the thoughts and feelings of many recently returned pilgrims that are already missing the Camino.The Camino will never leave you,and please God it will one day draw you back again.May your God guide your footsteps and keep you safe until then.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

so with that all said...

Buen Camino
Conner
Hi Conner, thanks for sharing.
Wish you well, Peter.

so with that all said...

Buen Camino
Conner
Conner--"mil gracias" for sharing this "buen camino" experience. We're currently in the blistering hot/rainless Central Valley (CA) wrapping up our training walks with hopes we'll face nothing quite so hot from mid-Sept through October, our Camino weeks. Your description of your experiences and reflections on those two "little" words--Buen Camino--I find moving... And so, to you--Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

so with that all said...

Buen Camino
Conner
Beautiful simple story, it captures so much of what the camino has shown me. I've found that I can have these moments off the camino as well if I am open to them and to the humanity that binds us together. Don't mean to sound maudelin, but I think that is one of my most important Camino lessons -- that the small fleeting interpersonal connections can add so much richness to life -- just a nod, a smile or a few words can do wonders! Buen camino, Conner, Laurie

In Colmenar Viejo you were lucky, because there are still people who don´t know about the Camino de Madrid.
In Colmenar depends on the location. From my experience, those who live near the big indication at the end of the town are more aware about the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back