• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ankle injury just before my camino starts

Draganban

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (September 2015)
Hello everyone - I would like your advice on a problem I have.

Normally my 33 day camino starts tomorrow from SJPP, but last night I sprained my ankle and I can only walk with a limp at the moment. There are no breaks or fractures - its just a sprain with some swelling and moderate pain when I put weight on it. I am treating it and I think it will heal without to much difficulty. I am in good general physical condition.

It will be very difficult for me to replan my camino due to work and other comittements so I want to go ahead with it despite this event. I am thinking of taking a day or two in SJPP to let the sprain heal a bit and then "walk it off" slowly over the first few days. Does this sound reasonable to you experienced walkers ? How many days do you think I should rest for ? I don't want to spend unnecessary days in SJPP but I don't want to overdo it and have even bigger problems later.

Thanks in advance
Frank

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry to hear about your injury.
I don't want to be a spoilsport, but I'll consider to skip the stage of SJPP as it is the most phisically demanding of the whole Camino and it could worsen your damage.
Alternative points of departure will be Roncesvalles or even Pamplona, leaving the Pirenees for another time...
Otherwise, you could plan to part the first stage SJPP- Roncesvalles in two : SJPP-Orisson (reservation needed at Orisson Albergue) and Orisson-Roncesvalles.
Good luck and Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My husband sprained his ankle when we were on our Camino, and after resting it for four days in Burgos, he was able to walk again. We did shorter distances for several days, and the terrain was flat, which helped! The suggestion of having your pack transported is a good one, especially over the Pyrenees.

I'm very impressed with kinesiology tape.

Google 'kinesiology tape for a sprained ankle' to see how to apply the tape. Could be worth getting a roll or two for use once the worst of the swelling has gone down to give you the support your ankle will need.

Good luck, and Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Depends how old and fit you are. I walked the GR1o (Pyrnees) with a full pack about two weeks out of broken foot plaster with the aid of a crutch when I was in my early forties. Now in my sixties that just would not be possible - even without a pack. But I would give it a go and listen to what your body is saying - the advise above is pretty sound as you don't want to make it worse by twisting it again.

I did exactly that, sprain my ankle. One week before starting on my first Camino back in 2007. We 'only' started from Roncesvalles ( as we always do) and even then, there is still a fair amount of rough walking. I ended up compensating, by trying to put my weight on my better foot. so as not to put to strain on the damaged ankle. I ended up in Nájera with loads of blisters and very uncomfortable, painful heels. We stopped there that year!
Should this ever happen again, I certainly would avoid the stretch up to Pamplona.
In any case, whatever you do, do use two poles, which will take up some of your weight. The kinesiology tape seems a great idea! ( I didn't know about it then)!

Use poles, wrap the ankle, use backpack transport, and take the first stage in two days.
Go slow, rest often, and I'd take a day or two of rest before you get started.
Then continue to go slow, maybe walk half stages.

I actually agree with annakappa - I'd be tempted to start in Puente la Reina, personally, as the first few days have some pretty steep sections.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Normally my 33 day camino starts tomorrow from SJPP, but last night I sprained my ankle and I can only walk with a limp at the moment. There are no breaks or fractures - its just a sprain with some swelling and moderate pain when I put weight on it. I am treating it and I think it will heal without to much difficulty. I am in good general physical condition.

It will be very difficult for me to replan my camino due to work and other comittements so I want to go ahead with it despite this event. I am thinking of taking a day or two in SJPP to let the sprain heal a bit and then "walk it off" slowly over the first few days. Does this sound reasonable to you experienced walkers ? How many days do you think I should rest for ? I don't want to spend unnecessary days in SJPP but I don't want to overdo it and have even bigger problems later.

Thanks in advance
Frank
I too had a fall a week before commencing my Camino and injured my ankle. Had an x-ray which showed no break however unbeknown to me I had a small fracture at the lower end of the tibia near the ankle which did not show on the x-ray.
After 2 days of walking I had a very swollen and painful leg, ankle and foot but being the determined person I am Decided to push on with my plans and walked 185kms strapping my ankle every morning before commencing to walk.
On arrival home had a CT scan which showed the fracture.

Although my Camino was very painful I have no regrets about pushing on but think this is a very personal choice.

Thanks in advance
Frank

How many days does your doctor think you should rest for?

Subtract that from your camino days and plan for a start closer to Santiago.

Hello everyone. Thanks a lot for your very helpful suggestions. I'm in Pamplone as I write - I'm a tourist and nurse but not a pilgrim yet. It looks like I won't be ready until the end of the week so I will probably start from Leon on the del Salvador camino to Ovideo and then take the Primitivo from there. I'll let you know how I get on.

Frank

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Take it easy. Expect the unexpected and try to go with the flow. Sometimes we are meant to stride out and sometimes we are meant to sit back. The Camino will still be there tomorrow, when your ankle is healed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back